Cel animation in Season 1

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
I wanted to make a topic dedicated to the cel animation, which was used in no other season except the first. For this reason, it just seems all the more special. And there's something disappointing to me about it not carrying on for at least another season after that. It's now grown on me after looking at some very early images. I also have a couple of questions:
1. Which character looked the nicest with this animation?
2. Do you wish the cel animation had lasted into Season 2 as well?
My answers:
1. SpongeBob most of all, because it really helped bring out his expressions and he was very unique-looking, especially compared to the season after that. Sandy and Mr. Krabs had a pleasant and very different look to them as well. Of course, I can't forget about any of the other main characters - the cels were very effective on them too. Season 1 definitely has a whole different atmosphere (I guess the backgrounds and colors used have something to do with it as well.)
2. Yes, if they were able to carry it on, definitely! That means if there was a reason they couldn't, I wouldn't particularly mind. But every other season is done using an ink and paint method (digitally), and it's both fun and interesting to imagine what some of the Season 2 classics would look like this way.
It has a whole level of uniqueness to it, this animation. I was a bit late experiencing it, though!

wHpWUqa.jpg

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
1. Sandy
2. No, because half the charm of Season 1 is the animation.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
SpongeCob said:
yeah the humor or characters didn't mean anything it was all the animation
Half of the charm. Not all of the charm of the first Season is the animation. The other half is definitely the writing, being a little more down-to-earth than the following Season, with all of the characters being likable and memorable characters.

dmandaboi

I love SBM
1. Honestly, I liked Patrick the most in animation terms. Back when he had two humps for eyebrows instead of one and a half, and when his head tilted a lot - maybe too much.
2. I wouldn't really mind if S2 did or didn't keep the cel animation. But I can understand why thy changed styles. I mean, it was the early 2000s, and computer animation was becoming a lot more common.

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
kite man said:
1. Honestly, I liked Patrick the most in animation terms. Back when he had two humps for eyebrows instead of one and a half, and when his head tilted a lot - maybe too much.
2. I wouldn't really mind if S2 did or didn't keep the cel animation. But I can understand why thy changed styles. I mean, it was the early 2000s, and computer animation was becoming a lot more common.
Very good answers, I agree with what you said about Patrick's eyebrows, they do look quite different nowadays. And, again, I don't mind about there being way more seasons using the digital ink and paint method, but the cels are just so...nice, I wanted to see more of them!

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
1. Mr. Krabs, because he barely changed compared to the other characters. The other characters had a few changes, but Mr. Krabs' was better in my opinion.
2. I didn't really care about this. Everything is changing nowadays and that what makes the show unique and progressive. The animation is a huge example of this.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
1. I agree with the above answer, and say that Patrick probably looked best in this animation. The animation after this just made him look a little more babyish.

2. Nah. The Season 2 and 3 animation was my favorite anyway.

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
1. I would say Patrick. He was such a chubby little cutie in that season.
2. No, but I wish that season 2 didn't have as many coloring issues.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
CakeCup said:
1. I would say Patrick. He was such a chubby little cutie in that season.
You know, I never thought of Patrick that way, but... you're kind of right.

Help_Wanted_20.png

I definite enjoy the unique animation style from the first season. Most of what I consider "classic" SpongeBob is from seasons two and three, but the first season was great. Similar to the original Rugrats episodes, I think.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Certain season 2 episodes do look like they're hand painted (The coloring got really bad after Christmas Who, spongebob either had dull colors, or he was green)

Back