Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, Richard Pursel, Vincent Waller

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
This is an appreciation post for the post-movie Spongebob writers that people hate, in particular, NAME AND ADDRESS WITHHELD and his army of idiots.

I legitimately admire these people, in particular Casey and Vincent.. So anyway:

Casey Alexander

Casey Alexander is a Calarts grad who worked on the first Spongebob movie. He's also worked on Spongebob since season 4, writing a lot of good episodes. His drawings have a lot of life and personality. Currently he's a key member of the crew of the show "Uncle Grandpa," and he posts storyboards and art on Twitter and his blog. Casey Alexander is also, from what I can tell, a really nice guy. He's encouraging to younger artists and he seems to be polite and amiable.

http://caseyalexander.tumblr.com/

Zeus Cervas

Zeus Cervas is a Calarts grad who has worked on Spongebob Squarepants since season 3. He has also worked with Ren & Stimpy creator John Kricfalusi on other projects. He has written some of the best episodes of Spongebob's post-movie season, and some well-liked episodes of season 3. He also used to work on "Cat-Dog." Cervas has worked on the current shows "Star Vs The Forces of Evil," "Clarence," and "Harvey Beaks." He posts storyboards on his website, which showcase his skills as an extremely strong draftsman.

http://zeuscervas.prosite.com/

Richard Pursel

Richard Pursel has worked with John Kricfalusi, including working on "Ren & Stimpy," writing some of the show's best episodes, even winning an Emmy for this work. He has also worked on "Spongebob Comics," collaborating with artists such as Stephen DeStefano.

According to Kyle Carozza's podcast, Richard Pursel once wrote "f&ck you" as a response to a fan letter from a young fan, so apparently he's not a very nice person. However, it's hard to deny that Richard Pursel is skilled at what he does.

Vincent Waller

Vincent Waller has been working in the animation industry for decades, starting off as a comics artist very influenced by Crumb. He's worked on Ren & Stimpy, John Kricfalusi's other cartoons, and was one of the original Spumco artists, even working on the Spumco comic book. He has worked on Spongebob Squarepants since season 1, writing episodes like "Hooky" and "Texas." After Derek Drymon left the show, he took over as creative director. He's one of the strongest draftsman in the industry, and he's EXTREMELY kind and encouraging to younger artists. He posts artwork on his Twitter, and his blog:

http://incoherent-thought.blogspot.ca/

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
According to Kyle Carozza's podcast, Richard Pursel once wrote "f&ck you" as a response to a fan letter from a young fan, so apparently he's not a very nice person.
http://youtu.be/PIh2xe4jnpk

I'm sorry, but a guy shouldn't do this to a letter from a fan. That's messed up.

Also, his work on SpongeBob Comics sucks. It's just about Squidward and something bad happening to him.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Tuba95 said:
Blind post-movie haters need to remember writers have lives, and jobs they want to do well at. They are not intentionally trying to destroy the show or answer to Satan.
Exactly! These people are just doing their jobs. They misunderstood the tone of the show but they weren't the ones actually in charge. They weren't the showrunner or the executive or anything.

And assuming that they're terrible people who have never contributed anything to the animation industry besides what NAME AND ADDRESS WITHHELD talks about.

ataeaf

Outdated meme I know
President Squidward said:
Also, his work on SpongeBob Comics sucks. It's just about Squidward and something bad happening to him.
Apparently Richard Pursel really does have a grudge against Squidward.

But, anyway, this is a great idea. These guys can make something good.

Mr. Enter said that there are no bad writers. Surprising coming from a guy infamous for insulting writers.

Murvine Taylor

Proud Hater of GoAnimate Boris!
I think these writers are underrated and I don't know why anyone would call them a disgrace to humanity. I know that Casey Alexander is a nice man because he had favorited four of my tweets on Twitter. <3

I hate when people blindly and ignorantly follow someone's opinion. Vincent and Casey are sadly two of the most hated SpongeBob workers, and I don't agree with how they get treated. Casey may have written some of the most infamous episodes but he wrote some great episodes that just get overlooked by the "haters". And, since he wrote the most episodes out of any SpongeBob writers, there's bound to be a few bad episodes and honestly, what, are there four? He really gets a ton of unnecessary blame. I really hate to see Vincent get blind hate. He's honestly one of the nicest people through Twitter and his blog to fans, and since he became creative director after season three, people blame him for everything bad in the show when he really has little to do with it. He's very talented and deserves the position he has in the show. I really wish these people didn't get the hate they do.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Grubby Grouper said:
I hate when people blindly and ignorantly follow someone's opinion. Vincent and Casey are sadly two of the most hated SpongeBob workers, and I don't agree with how they get treated. Casey may have written some of the most infamous episodes but he wrote some great episodes that just get overlooked by the "haters". And, since he wrote the most episodes out of any SpongeBob writers, there's bound to be a few bad episodes and honestly, what, are there four? He really gets a ton of unnecessary blame. I really hate to see Vincent get blind hate. He's honestly one of the nicest people through Twitter and his blog to fans, and since he became creative director after season three, people blame him for everything bad in the show when he really has little to do with it. He's very talented and deserves the position he has in the show. I really wish these people didn't get the hate they do.
^^^^^^^^^^ EXACTLY!

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
I know I'm going to be basically copying what the other people are saying in this thread, but I might as well put in my cents as well.

People need to know that these writers are people with lives. Their jobs are to entertain people. If you don't like the episode, more power to you, but harassing the episode writers on Twitter isn't really going to help at all. Plus, it's not like anyone can make a few mistakes or duds once in a while. In fact, none of us are perfect in any way at all. In fact, I'm going to confess something that's going to shock you all.

Back in 2013, I used to hate post-movie with a burning passion. And after I got done watching an episode in particular I didn't like, you know what I did? I blamed the writers. No, I didn't harass them through Twitter. I didn't even use Twitter a whole lot in 2013. But I did go on TV.com and YouTube videos and acted like a totally, stupid post-movie hater blaming the writers (and Paul Tibbitt) for a terrible episode. I didn't even hear about you-know-who back then (It was sometime after September 2013, when his One Coarse Meal review was released), I was just a dumb, gullible idiot who believed that the popular opinion on TV.com was a fact. In fact, that's why I hated Uncle Grandpa back in the day. :facepalm:What a fool I was. Nowadays, I find the show to be pretty great. I don't know, maybe it has to do with me getting used to random humor, but I'm starting to warm up to the show now. In fact, if I was a blind follower right now, I would be hating Pet Sitter Pat with a burning passion. A burning passion just as burning as the flamethrower that Patrick used on Gary in this episode. Oh and it wasn't Gary abuse. Maybe Gary-threatening, but not Gary abuse. Oh and not to mention that thanks to the help of SpongeBuddy Mania, I've matured a lot from my TV.com days back in 2013. I barely even use it anymore. Now that you know my confession, let's get back on topic.

I'd like to mention some great shows that all of these people worked for. Casey Alexander, besides writing great episodes such as Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture, Mrs. Puff, You're Fired, Friend or Foe, Bucket Sweet Bucket, Sand Castles in the Sand, Chum Caverns, Squidward in Clarinetland, Love That Squid, Chum Fricassee, Patrick-Man, and Evil Spatula, worked on a cartoon named Uncle Grandpa along with Luke Brookshier and Marc Ceccarelli, who also worked on SpongeBob as well. I've seen a lot of episodes written by Casey and they're actually pretty great and creative. My favorite episodes written by him include Future Pizza, Uncle Caveman, and Escalator. Zeus Cervas didn't really work on other shows besides SpongeBob, but before he became a writer, he was an assistant storyboard artist for Seasons 2 and 3 of SpongeBob. In fact, I bet without some help from him, lots of the episodes in Seasons 2 and 3 would be mediocre or bad. Richard Pursel wrote on a lot of cartoons. In fact, besides SpongeBob, he has worked on Ren and Stimpy, 2 Stupid Dogs, I Am Weasel, Cow and Chicken, and Robotboy. Okay, that's not a whole lot, but you see what I mean. :P Also, he worked on a lot of underrated post-movie episodes such as New Digs, Bucket Sweet Bucket, SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget, Suction Cup Symphony (my favorite Season 6 episode, by the way), Single Cell Anniversary, Chum Caverns, Love That Squid, and Chum Fricassee. And finally, Vincent Waller. I don't really see which dud episodes besides Restraining SpongeBob and maybe Hooky, but being the creative director of the show now, I see why he gets a lot of hate. Vincent never even fired these writers, the writers just left to work on other shows such as Camp Lazlo and Phineas and Ferb. C.H. Greenblatt left in Season 4 to work on Chowder. So to those who think they left because Vincent fired them, you're wrong. They just wanted to move on to different shows. You guys should be able to move on as well.

This rant is over, except for this part
You win this round, Broccoli.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
I completely agree with you. There are some people who want Zeus and Casey die. That's really really sad. Even if they only wrote "bad episodes" (that's not the case) it's just a cartoon.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
I'm surprised Derek Iversen isn't listed here. He's getting quite a bit of flak thanks to several bad episodes he had done such as Squid's Visit, Stuck in the Wringer, Sponge-Cano, and Little Yellow Book. While it's understandable, his good episodes are always overlooked such as Krusty Krushers, Gary in Love, most of season 8 (tbh, it's his peak season as well as Richard Pursel's) and season 9 episodes. I will admit that he got better after season 7 since some of the episodes I hated were from seasons 6 and 7. The only Iversen written episode I hated after season 7 was Little Yellow Book.

TheKrabbyPattyBurgler

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Honestly, I don't hate these guys. In fact, I used to hate Waller and Tibbitt but now I know that they are super nice people who despite being the main driving force behind the show, can't reject most of the awful post movie episodes because Nick would be unsatisfied as they want more episodes, not less. In fact, I learned in 2011/2012 that they were part of the pre movie crew and wrote some of the best episodes and I then started to warm up to them. They're super nice guys to talk to on Twitter because they give you some cool info as to what's coming up for the show and hell, my tweets to them have even gotten posted here a few times and have given us all new info (for example, the fact that the crew of the show might not work on SB Movie 3) to converse about. But as for everyone else, I'm just not a fan of their work on the show. They all had a sick sense of humor that just didn't really jive well with what the show is about and the tone it's going for. I don't wish that they would die or anything but they just weren't the guys who should've succeeded people like C.H. Greenblatt or Sherm Cohen and despite the fact that I don't hate them, they have been known to be quite outlandish with certain things regarding the show and it's fans such as Casey Alexander having a pretty messed up viewpoint on children's television and Richard Pursel being a dick to that young fan. Like seriously, why would you do that to a young fan of your work? But then again most people who have worked on Ren and Stimpy end up acting that way except for Vincent. I enjoy their work on other shows like Harvey Beaks and Uncle Grandpa, but they're not SpongeBob material and I'm glad they seem to have taken notice of that by doing other shows and leaving room for some pre movie crew members to come back and for some new great crew members to come in.

Faux Troll

Moby Dollar
Isn't Waller the one who called Saf a Cont?

Murvine Taylor said:
I think these writers are underrated and I don't know why anyone would call them a disgrace to humanity. I know that Casey Alexander is a nice man because he had favorited four of my tweets on Twitter. <3
Tuba95 said:
Blind post-movie haters need to remember writers have lives, and jobs they want to do well at. They are not intentionally trying to destroy the show or answer to Satan.
See, people need to understand: Good people can make bad art and vice versa. Also, products can turn out entirely different than one's intentions. Just because an episode is bad or even offensive doesn't mean the writers of said episode are bad people. However, if they call somebody a cont (who doesn't deserve it), then yeah they're a disgrace to humanity.

Supmandude

Squog
Isn't Waller the one who called Saf a Cont?

See, people need to understand: Good people can make bad art and vice versa. Also, products can turn out entirely different than one's intentions. Just because an episode is bad or even offensive doesn't mean the writers of said episode are bad people. However, if they call somebody a cont (who doesn't deserve it), then yeah they're a disgrace to humanity.
Who's Saf? And is "cont" a forum-safe version of a certain word that'd be censored here?

Edit: Oh, it's a joke, right? I had to check his account to get it. :P On the off chance you're serious, that's short for "continued". But I'm assuming you were joking.

Fondue Pot

Delicious
What about Steven Banks? He wrote bad episodes like All That Glitters, The Splinter, The Card, Truth or Square, The Clash of Triton, Yours, Mine and MIne, A Day Without Tears, and The Play's The Thing, causing him to get bad reputation. However, he wrote very good post-movie episodes such as Krusty Towers, New Leaf, A Friendly Game, etc.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Fondue Pot said:
What about Steven Banks? He wrote bad episodes like All That Glitters, The Splinter, The Card, Truth or Square, The Clash of Triton, Yours, Mine and MIne, A Day Without Tears, and The Play's The Thing, causing him to get bad reputation. However, he wrote very good post-movie episodes such as Krusty Towers, New Leaf, A Friendly Game, etc.
I don't think he's a bad writer or a sociopath or a bad person.

CJO5050

Floating Shopping List
From what I can tell, Casey Alexander and Zeus Cervas are often really inconsistent with their writing. They have such legendary baddies as One Coarse Meal, A Pal for Gary and Pet Sitter Pat, but they also have great episodes like Friend or Foe, Sand Castles in the Sand and Back to the Past, that can rival many of the pre-movie episodes.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
wtf people hate Vincent Waller??

:patboo:

He seems like a pretty cool guy and takes time to respond to the fans like on Twitter. He's also very talented at what he does imo.

Back