Cable T.V. will die in less than ten years.

Canned Bread

aching tentacle

164 posts
$209 doubloons
Cable TV has been a part of all of our childhoods, but with growing popularity of streaming services, youtube, and online sites, TV is just going to be surpassed, what's your opinion?

Combusto82

205 posts
$445 doubloons
then what will happened to Spongebob and maybe Simpsons in ten years?

if both continue for decades then Spongebob will be Season 22 and Simpsons will be Season 41

anyways there are always DVDs, Blu-ray Discs and even 4K HD DVDs you know

SpongeBobfan1987

B-U-B-B-L-E-S!

2,864 posts
$2,118 doubloons

TV will upgrade from ATSC 1.0 to ATSC 3.0 in 2020, cable TV will soon follow.
ATSC 3.0 (a.k.a. Next Gen TV), a new broadcast standard, is said to bridge the gap between streaming video and broadcast TV.

Deployment of ATSC 3.0 began in South Korea, and it is now being tested in select U.S. cities.

Canned Bread

aching tentacle

164 posts
$209 doubloons

TV will upgrade from ATSC 1.0 to ATSC 3.0 in 2020, cable TV will soon follow.
ATSC 3.0 (a.k.a. Next Gen TV), a new broadcast standard, is said to bridge the gap between streaming video and broadcast TV.

Deployment of ATSC 3.0 began in South Korea, and it is now being tested in select U.S. cities.
Wait, can you explain this to me in simpler terms, I'm interested but i'm not exactly sure what you mean

Yoh Manta

63 posts
$68 doubloons
I agree, I don't see it maintaining relevancy too much longer. Streaming and watching shows online are the next cell phones. A once laughable idea that became the norm.

SpongeBobfan1987

B-U-B-B-L-E-S!

2,864 posts
$2,118 doubloons
If cable TV dies, then streaming and high-definition antenna TV will take over. We still need antenna TV in case we want to watch the local news, weather and sporting events. They will come up with a new standard which will deliver it on demand. In case you missed a show after the credits roll, you could start it over by pressing a button.

Canned Bread

aching tentacle

164 posts
$209 doubloons
If SpongeBob does outlive cable TV, including the Nickelodeon channel obviously, that’d be something to tell the grandkids.
I really think this is the case, since spongebob is nickelodeon to so many people. nobody really cares even as close to as much as they care about shows like henry danger or the loud house. So yeah, Spongebb will outlive nickelodeon.

Mikurotoro92

150 posts
$378 doubloons
i honestly don't believe SpongeBob will outlive Nickelodeon

when Nick dies so will SBSP

the show is teetering on the brink of collapse whether people want to admit it or not!

how would they continue it without Nickelodeon?

this isn't a "Disney American Idol" kind of situation where the show was able to keep thriving despite no longer being on FOX

jumping from one broadcast network to another is less jarring than a cable show going to a streaming service

people say SpongeBob is Nick, which only reinforces my point

if Nickelodeon were to shut down, they would take SpongeBob SquarePants(along with every other show) with them

i'm not saying this as a "hater" just stating the cold hard facts

the series will end but the franchise can keep going even without a cartoon

Last edited:

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff member

23,196 posts

$3,854 doubloons
Unless cable lowers its prices or makes a package where its pro-rated for how many channels you pick, it's definitely going away in ten years.

Netflix (lol I bet it dies in 10 years too), SlingTV, and Hulu are pretty much what most people have, right?

SpongeBobfan1987

B-U-B-B-L-E-S!

2,864 posts
$2,118 doubloons
I watch TV, but only for news, weather, sports and TV shows and movies that I like to watch...

Ever since my city's newspaper moved its publisher, Ganett, outside of town, one day after the news breaks in my city, the news becomes slightly outdated, I find the local TV news to be the most up-to-date on information and current events, whether it's affiliated with ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX. How's the "big four" going to handle news in the future? Who knows. Please don't get rid of local news. It's very important, especially in cases of severe weather, like snowstorms, blizzards, thunderstorms, etc.

JoshuaBrony021

28 posts
$28 doubloons
I watch TV, but only for news, weather, sports and TV shows and movies that I like to watch...

Ever since my city's newspaper moved its publisher, Ganett, outside of town, one day after the news breaks in my city, the news becomes slightly outdated, I find the local TV news to be the most up-to-date on information and current events, whether it's affiliated with ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX. How's the "big four" going to handle news in the future? Who knows. Please don't get rid of local news. It's very important, especially in cases of severe weather, like snowstorms, blizzards, thunderstorms, etc.
Why is it Asia always gets all the cool futuristic technology before North America does?
I mean, if I'm not mistaking, I think Asia may actually be testing things like flying cars and self-driving cars. Even though this may be so, I honestly doubt time travel will exist, mainly because it just sounds physically impossible. I think the best way to "turn back time" is to find evidence of the past. (e.g. dinosaur fossils, old newspapers, black and white pictures, etc.)
EDIT: Also, your Bubbles profile picture is adorable.

SpongeBobfan1987

B-U-B-B-L-E-S!

2,864 posts
$2,118 doubloons
I would love for each streaming service to exist on a channel number sometime in the far-off future. Each channel number would have a streaming menu where you can choose your content at any time of the day. Each menu would be laid out in a grid. A red box would appear at the bottom right corner of the screen every time the local news streaming service uploads a new news video. A blue box would appear when a new show/episode is uploaded. I feel that sometime far beyond the 2050s, something like this could exist, and use just an ordinary pair of rabbit ear antennae...

Canned Bread

aching tentacle

164 posts
$209 doubloons
I would love for each streaming service to exist on a channel number sometime in the far-off future. Each channel number would have a streaming menu where you can choose your content at any time of the day. Each menu would be laid out in a grid. A red box would appear at the bottom right corner of the screen every time the local news streaming service uploads a new news video. A blue box would appear when a new show/episode is uploaded. I feel that sometime far beyond the 2050s, something like this could exist, and use just an ordinary pair of rabbit ear antennae...
This would call for a very, very complex system, I agree it would be passed 2050s. I feel that sadly the easiest thing to do is to keep on going with streaming services as they are now, forever. Unless someone comes out with another form of television that becomes even more popular.