Battle of the SpongeBob Movies

Which SpongeBob Movie do you prefer?

• Total voters

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
I don't know if there was a topic where we discuss our opinions on which SpongeBob movie was better, but if we did, it's probably old. Here's a new topic, with a poll included on which SpongeBob movie you prefer, The First Movie (2004) or the second movie? (Sponge Out of Water, 2015)

I've seen a lot of people in the past couple years prefer Sponge Out of Water, so I'm interested in what some of you newer members think which is better. For me, I prefer the First Movie. I think it has more to offer in it's humor (especially it's dialogue humor) and story. The only few pros I can think of for Sponge Out of Water was maybe one or two jokes (The unexpected My Leg gag and the Tiny Piano joke) and it's stunning 2D animation (for both movies).

So yeah vote in the poll and share your thoughts :P

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Both!

If I had to choose though, I'd probably give it to the first movie, very slight differance though because both are amazing.

BackToSpongebob

Floating Shopping List
Both!

If I had to choose though, I'd probably give it to the first movie, very slight differance though because both are amazing.

I agree completely! Being the absolute Spongebob fan I am, I thought that both movies were great. If I had to choose between the two of them though, I’d end up picking the first one. I think there is some comedy gold in that movie, as well as a sense of nostalgia (even though it came out before I could walk). That being said, there are also many funny things in the second Spongebob movie. I would just pick the first movie if I had to choose between the two.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Both movies are amazing in their own way, but my vote goes to the first movie. Not only is it still memorable and hilarious, but it really makes you feel connected to SpongeBob more than ever.

the 1st movie was an excellent movie which gives us how much we love to see SB & Pat goes on a jounary, but 2nd movie was...okay it has some good jokes, but some of it are already done before like the gang had been to surface before, and we know how they done it, so that being said the 1st movie is best one IMO.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Yeah, I'd have to go with the second movie. Honestly enjoyed it far more than the first movie. Not that the first movie's bad or anything, but I definitely loved the second more.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Hard to say. Both movies are great, each with their advantages.

The first movie is the more memorable one with a plot that feels more important to the overall series and the best gags in the first movie are superior to the best gags in SOOW. However SB 1's story has a number of problems when you look at it more closely like the complete absence of recognizable characters except for SpongeBob, Patrick, and Plankton and while the story is great there are some SpongeBob elements that don't lend themselves to thematic storytelling like random endings and having the stupidity of the characters influence the direction of the story.

Sponge Out of Water fixes most of the major problems with the first movie giving more of the Bikini Bottom cast spotlight and the more random stuff works in a less substantial storyline feeling less like cop-outs and more part of the DNA. And while the best jokes in the original are better I'd say SOOW has more jokes in general. On the other hand the fact that the story is less substantial means it feels like it's kinda going through the motions with it being another Plankton plot and having them go on land again, making it more forgettable in the long run, the quality of the movie kinda dips when it goes CGI, and the rap battle just sucks.

I love both movies but I'm going to go for the first one because nostalgia.

President Squidward said:
because those topics suck!
This is insulting to me and my people :P

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
However SB 1's story has a number of problems when you look at it more closely like the complete absence of recognizable characters except for SpongeBob

What? There was a lot of Patrick and Plankton too.

Outside of that though you do kinda have a point, Squidward doesn't show up THAT much and Sandy, Gary, Mrs Puff, Larry, Mermaid Man, Barnacle Boy, etc don't show up at all except for like one or two cameos and one line.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Wintermelon43 said:
What? There was a lot of Patrick and Plankton too.
I intended to put SpongeBob and Patrick on there but I guess I forgot to add Patrick.

Either way it still doesn't sit 100% well for me when you have such a great cast of characters and you barely use them. It's really only a nitpick and it doesn't affect how amazing I find the first movie to be but it is a big advantage SOOW has, to see the cast of characters on the big screen.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
I intended to put SpongeBob and Patrick on there but I guess I forgot to add Patrick.

Either way it still doesn't sit 100% well for me when you have such a great cast of characters and you barely use them. It's really only a nitpick and it doesn't affect how amazing I find the first movie to be but it is a big advantage SOOW has, to see the cast of characters on the big screen.

I'm not saying I disagree, I do agree that the other characters weren't used enough. That's one thing SOOW was better at.

HashRing

Baby Clam
​I like both of them, but I like the jokes in the first one more, and "Goofy Goober Rock" > "Teamwork" so I have to go with the first one.

Back