Avatar: The Last Airbender Is One of the Greatest Shows Ever

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
YES! It IS the best show ever. In terms of storytelling and world building, it is easily the best cartoon ever made. Even the comedy is on-point and timeless. My favorite character is Zuko, due to his relationship with Iroh and the depth within that relationship and how he grows because of it. Honestly I do not think this show will ever be topped, ever. BTW, I bought the box set before it was put onto netflix so I'm kind of upset haha.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Definitely agree. I'm not sure if I'd call it the greatest show ever, but I could. The plot in this show is amazing and almost every character has a moderate amount of development and complexity, save for Ozai (he's the only thing that brings the show down for me). ATLA is also great because it broke a lot of boundaries, which helped to improve shows coming after it. It showed that cartoons for children can still touch on serious issues and stories while also still being funny and suitable for children. I believe that because of ATLA (and likely a few other shows before it), we have shows like Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, and She-Ra.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Binging it this next week or two. Definitely my favorite 2000+ show they've ever done. Ahead of its time and could've gone on for a couple more seasons

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
I didn't watch it when it was airing, but the reruns I watched on Nicktoons were pretty dope.

Spongey34

Dafano
Staff
I appreciate the superlatives and don't think they're hyperbole.

But I am curious - if the series went past 3 seasons, and they weren't the same quality as the first 3, would we look at it the same?
Or put another way, if SpongeBob ended at 3 seasons, would it have the same critical consensus Avatar enjoys?

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I appreciate the superlatives and don't think they're hyperbole.

But I am curious - if the series went past 3 seasons, and they weren't the same quality as the first 3, would we look at it the same?
Or put another way, if SpongeBob ended at 3 seasons, would it have the same critical consensus Avatar enjoys?
For the first question, I think we wouldn’t look at ATLA the same way. Avatar is so loved partly because of its consistency (think of the reception of its sequel, Legend of Korra. That show is more disliked, though it is still held in high regard, just not at ATLA levels).

For the second question, I think SpongeBob would have more critical acclaim, but not that drastic an increase. SpongeBob is still loved, even after the lackluster-ness of seasons 6-8, so I don’t think it would be that much of a difference.

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
I agree with it. I rewatch it now(I am in the last episode) and it is surely amazing series. The second season is the best for me. I love Iroh and Zuko the most and their adventure(That's why I love the second season the most). The legend of Kora is good only in the first season.

Back