Ask the SBM Staff! v.10th Anniversary

BlueberryFieldsForever

crazy little thing called weed
All SBM Staff!

Have you ever solved a Rubik's Cube?
2x2x2? 3x3x3?
If no, have you ever attempted to?

What are your favorite apps for Apple Devices?

Can I be interviewed ssj?

Abney, can you re-open your animated avatar shop?

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
SpongeyKid said:
For all staff: Who is your favorite member that joined June 29th, 2013? :sbface:
Uh.... Yankeeman :P

windows-8-problems.png

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Why haven't you answered my question, yet? (seriously, though. I need an answer)

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Spongedude and Spongey34, how do you guys look like? :P

For all admins/mods:

How do you all feel about Regular Show?
Do you sleep with stuffed animals?
What's your favorite number?
Pillow Pets or Happy Nappers?
Do you guys have a diary?

The Drifter

Some person.
How much it cost to run this site?

What do you think when you first started this forum? Do you expect it to last this long?

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
It's past my bedtime, but I'll answer a few.

SpongeyKid: Just check my profile- April 6, 2004. I was, technically, the first admin of this forum, followed almost immediately by Spongey34 and ssj4gogita4. We were like the Three Stooges... or something.

Also, people who've known us in real-life have said that Spongey34 and I look alike, but I've never seen that much of a resemblance. He's the handsome one.

TropicalNards112233: Not wanting to make excuses, but between working and studying and trying to maintain some semblance of a personal life, I don't have too much time to devote here anymore. I will still drop in from time to time, though. Can't speak for ssj4gogita4, though he's a man I look up to in many respects. I know keeping this place running smoothly isn't always a walk in the park. He certainly can do whatever he wants - I know SBM will always be in good hands.

Sadly, I've never been able to solve a Rubix cube on my own. I just get frustrated.

[I'm not going to be checking this thread much, but if there are more for me or Spongey34, you can PM or email us a compiled set of questions we will be happy to answer.]

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Have you met any of the spongebob cast or crew?
No.

How do I become a "popular" member?
By making good quality posts, visiting regularly and being a nice person.

Who are your closest friends here?
Probably the other staff. There are lots of people I really like but I'm not really sure they'd consider me a “friend” in return since I don't chat to people much outside of discussions.

What are your fondest SBM memories?
1. Becoming a mod. 2. Posting about the new movie and being excited together.

How long will the site last?
As long as the admins want it to (which is hopefully a long time).

What are your favorite Comedy Central programmes?
I don't watch CC so I don't have one.

Do you go on Newgrounds?
No.

What was the best topic you ever made?
According to the amount of likes, the “Holiday message from DMAP” thread. There are others I made that I like more, but it's hard to remember. A recent one I'm proud of is the essay about SpongeBob's age.

What are your least favorite animated movies?
I don't know. I don't watch movies much, so haven't seen that many bad ones.

Do you think that Spongebob is intended at young teens, or that it has jokes and ideas that are fitting to the more adult audience?
It is intended for anybody who finds it funny.

What's your least favorite color?
Brown. Or orange. Or maybe bile green.

DMAP: Story of how you became a mod?
I can't even remember. I think it was because I used to post so much news, so eventually they just decided to make me a mod.

All staff: What is your least favorite memory from the site? Sure we could focus on the positives, but sometimes its good to look at the negatives and just acknowledge that they happened.
The dry spell a few years ago when hardly anybody came on SBM. It was depressing because I didn't want things to die out. Luckily it started getting a lot more active again.
Also, I hate when people fight.

DMAP: When will we get a picture of you?
Magic conch says: Maybe some day. (But probably not, because I'm shy.)

Did you anticipate being a mod less than a year after joining? What was your reaction?
No. I was surprised but also very happy.

What's your honest opinion about me [E.V.I.L.]?
The “cute lol” days were annoying, but we're over that now. I like you, so I'd be sad if you left.

What has been the best part of your mod-ship?
Keeping up with SpongeBob news, which I would do even if I weren't a mod, but being a mod means that people expect it from me now and it's pretty much my SBM “job”, which is cool.

And the hardest part?
Being diplomatic and trying to understand people's motives, because it doesn't come naturally to me. I also don't like dealing with situations where it isn't obvious what the solution is in case I get it wrong and make somebody mad, though this isn't usually a problem because we talk about stuff together before making decisions.

How do you find all your SB news?
Obvious sources like Google, Twitter, Youtube etc combined with other smaller sources I check regularly and a lot of patience and perseverance.

Do you see yourself here in 5 years?
Yes.

Anyway, for all mods, did you have an experience of managing other forums before SBM?
No.

Do you like Bagel w/ cream cheese and bacon?
I love bagels but not cream cheese or bacon.

Elementary, Middle or High school?
In the UK we have different school stages but my favourite was primary school (elementary).

Ever get into any fights in school? Physical or verbal.
No, I was a good noodle.

How would you guys feel if Patrick started working at the KK?
He's done it before in several episodes, but if you mean permanently I wouldn't like it.

Are you a fan of Miley Cyrus?
No.

Have You See This Snail or Band Geeks?
Currently, Have You Seen This Snail.

Clapping, whistling or snapping? Which do you prefer?
Clapping.

What is the maximum amount of money you would pay for the actual SB cast to join here?
I wouldn't pay any money, because it would be depressing knowing they only joined because we paid them.

DMAP and SBRoxman: Why are you two so big on collections for a show that mostly everyone has outgrown of by your age? Just something I have been wondering.
Since I'm obsessed with SpongeBob, I like owning SpongeBob stuff … not much more to it than that. It's fun to collect.

DMAP, how many SB misc do you have?
I don't understand the question.

Do you watch Invader Zim or Ed Edd n Eddy? If you do, what are your favorite and least favorite episodes?
No and no.

DMAP and Philip, have you guys ever shown your face in the PRP thread? If not, will you some day?
No and maybe, but probably not.

Do you want Nick Magazine to come back?
No, because we have SpongeBob Comics now.

For all staff: Who is your favorite member that joined June 29th, 2013?
Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen. He was number one.

Who is your favorite Teen Titan?
Don't watch the show so don't have one.

2x2x2? 3x3x3?

No and kind of, but not seriously. I've played around with one before.

I don't have an Apple device but if I did my favourite app would probably be a SpongeBob one … just a hunch.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
How do you pay for the site?
Payments are split up between the active admins usually.

Have you met any of the SpongeBob cast or crew?
In person, I haven't. But I've talked with quite a few of them online in general conversation and for the SBM interviews.

Definitely the staff, because we talk the most. Most of the other people I used to talk to a lot don't come around here much anymore. Some of the new guys are awesome too though.

Staying up late working hard to get the big releases ready are some of my favorite memories. V5 and 5.5 were huge changes for SBM. I will always remember becoming staff here and also all of the work I did on my other SB sites.

Abney, what is your favorite and least favorite episode of SpongeBob?
Hard for me to say because there's a lot of them I've only seen once. I like most of the episodes. There's probably some season 6-7 episodes that I don't like as much, not sure which ones though.

The main site will be up forever probably. The forums will last as long as people keep coming.

The 25 Days of Christmas and big update topics are always good. I've had some good shops open too.

Do you think that SpongeBob is intended at young teens, or that it has jokes and ideas that are fitting to the more adult audience?
I think it's a bit of both. They want to have a large audience, so I think they make the plots for kids and some of the jokes for the older audience. It's usually funny for everyone.

Have you ever had a big technical problem with the website (like, was there ever a danger of closing because of the server)?
Things go wrong here practically every week. We do our best to make it so that nobody notices. Some of the worst times were when our old host started shutting us down because we were using too many resources. Ended up having to switch hosts because of that. There's still lots of bugs around this place. I try to fix the big ones quickly.

How did you become an admin?
After I was mod for a while, I was actually doing quite a bit of stuff in the backend of SBM, but I wasn't an official forum admin. One day there was a pretty big spam bot raid on SBM and no admins were around, so I ended up making myself an admin through the database so I could stop the spam. Then I set myself back to mod. Apparently there were discussions about me being admin already, so later that day ssj went ahead and made it official.

What's with you and asking members to do your homework for you?
We've got a smart bunch here.

Are you nervous about having greater responsibility when ssj retires?
I still don't know what his plans are. He's still here, so it's all good right now, but this place will live on forever.

Can we name these forums Abney Forums if SOPA passes loll k?
Not sure why we'd need to do that haha.

When did ssj realize your coding genius?
Probably something ssj would have to answer lol

Why you be always procrastinating them essays boi?
I've got some much work to do on SBM, of course.

Have you STILL not tried Nutella?
You apparently forgot about our PM conversation where I said I tried it.

Your honest opinion about me [E.V.I.L]?
You're alright. =P

Do you see yourself here in 5 years?
Yep. Going to be a lot different here I bet.

Always.

Who is your favorite member that joined June 29th, 2013?
If you are in GMT time, my dad actually joined on that day. Yankeeman. Sorry =P

How does it feel being an admin?
I think the excitement wears off after a while, but it's really awesome to be able to work on SBM.

Have you ever solved a Rubik's Cube? 2x2x2? 3x3x3? If no, have you ever attempted to?
I can solve both of those kinds pretty easily. I used to be able to do 4x4x4 also, but I've probably forgot a lot of it by now.

MotoHeroz, the original 3 Angry Birds, soem of the Tap Tap games, and Google Maps.

Abney, can you re-open your animated avatar shop?
Probably will over the summer if I'm home.

Not since I was little. Had a cool stuffed dog named Elvis.

I guess pillow pets. I've got a cow one.

What's your favorite sport and why?
I like to watch MLB because they Yankees are fun to root for. I also enjoy watching NCAA basketball... March Madness is exciting. I play some basketball. Used to play baseball but I wasn't quite as good at that.

With our current expenses, it's nearly $700 a year. Usually costs are split up between admins, but it's definitely not cheap.

Cha

I love SBM
I've got a cow pillow pet too. :o His name is Sir Eats-A-Lot.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
when will I become admin?
Asking doesn't get you there.

What inspired you to create the site?
I was a fan of the show since the beginning. It just felt right dedicating something to the little square dude.

Am I liked here [DG]?
In what way?

How do you pay for the site?
Out of my own pocket. If staff (or members ;)) want to donate to share the costs, that's fine.

Have you met any of the spongebob cast or crew?
No, but I would like to. Emails have been the closest thing.

How do I become a "popular" member?
Do something really cool that defines who you are on here. For me, it was "moo", "ban", and others. Visit and post almost every day.

The staff since we talk almost every day. Cha, Nards, and Prez would be some others.

SSJ, what is the secret to your awesomeness? I need to know how you stay so fresh.
For only $9.95, you can be sent a certificate that says "ssj agrees: I'm awesome"

WOF, Aku, tease ssj thread, golden years, tinychats, movie nights, and working on major updates to the site late at night and putting all the details together for the release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Q7b-vHY3Q

What are your favorite Comedy Central programmes?
South Park is the only one I've really seen or can remember being on there. I think I saw some Dave Chapelle but it's been a long time.

Do you go on Newgrounds?
No. Should I?

I think the "10th anniversary" news topic and "what I think about sbm since 2003" topic. I like writing about stuff like that. Not talking about SBM, I like to make fun, random topics about funny news or gifs just to send out some good vibes to everyone who's having a bad day.

What are your least favorite animated movies?
Madagascar. Went to see it with my best friend and we both fell asleep during it. I like everything I've seen, though.

Do you think that Spongebob is intended at young teens, or that it has jokes and ideas that are fitting to the more adult audience?
I think the first 4 or 5 seasons were meant to be for young teens but the last few seasons have had a lot more adult jokes so today is meant to be for adults.

Have you ever had a big technical problem with the website (like, was there ever a danger of closing because of the server)?
If you look through the history of the site, there was a host surge and we lost our content. Luckily, Spongey34 had a backup. There was also a time where we lost sponge-buddy.net because we didn't renew in time and we thought it might be the end but it wasn't.

What's your least favorite color?
Yellow. I have several yellow shirts for football and basketball but they don't look good on me at all.

What are you going to do after you leave the site?
Frolic in the ocean with SpongeBob. I'll probably work on a new cartoon project. One that will have the same effect that SpongeBob had on me when it first premiered. It has to be hilarious. Or, I could just start a nick site project that we've been trying to do for a long time.

What is your least favorite memory from the site? Sure we could focus on the positives, but sometimes its good to look at the negatives and just acknowledge that they happened.
2011 when there was very little activity.

WHYAREYOULEAVINGIMGONNAMISSYOUSOMUCHICANTHANDLETHISATTHEMOMENT??????????
moo.

How has having ADHD affected you both positively and negatively?
It was bad until about high school. I had taken meds to calm myself down until then and still do when I need to concentrate on a test or whatever. I've also caught myself trying to become hyper at bible study and other places but stopped before it got out of hand. I think my not talking a lot is something I'm happy with since high school. I don't want to be 'that guy' who doesn't know when to shut up or tries to show that he's the smartest person and knows everything.

In ten years, have you ever cried over an SBM issue? Be honest. :sbface:
Cried? No. Gotten mad over something? Yes.

What's your favorite sub-forum of the forum and why?
I don't really have a favorite sub-forum now. The ask me topics took over Krabby Land, which was my favorite because of the variety of games we had. Now it's not.

What's your honest opinion about me?
The "imcutelol" stuff was annoying but since that died (thankfully), you're cool. As long as the squilliard stuff stays in that topic in the dump, I'm ok with you.

Why did you choose to learn ASL?
It was just something that looked like fun to learn and I wanted to challenge myself. It might look good on my resumé, too, that I can learn a couple different things.

What is your honest opinion about Nutella?
Never tried it.

When you retire, do you plan to revisit every once in a while?
I would probably still be helping just not as much as I currently do. So, it might not be everyday but I would visit, yes.

How long do you see SBM being active?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Q7b-vHY3Q

Which members could you see still being here in 5 years?
EVIL, Cha, and Nards. Not sure about others.

Do you like Bagel w/ cream cheese and bacon?
I don't like Bagels. Gross.

Elementary, Middle or High school?
Elementary, High school, Middle. In that order.

Ever get into any fights in school? Physical or verbal
No. I was the good kid.

How would you guys feel if Patrick started working at the KK?
I think it would create more lulz but it would be too much after a while seeing Patrick in the KK too much.

Are you a fan of Miley Cyrus?
She's not terrible. "The Climb" is actually a pretty decent song.

Have You See This Snail or Band Geeks?
Band Geeks everytime. HYSTS is not a good one, imo.

Clapping, whistling or snapping? Which do you prefer?
When I'm clapping, am I squishing something or someone? I would pick whistling if I could put two fingers in my mouth and whistle really loudly. Snapping is only done when it's silent and you need to get someones attention.

What is the maximum amount of money you would pay for the actual SB cast to join here?
$0. I wouldn't force anyone to join here.

what's your favorite WWE matches and why?
Taker/HBK at WM. Anything with Stone Cold in it. Really, anything in attitude era…including Divas.

your thoughts on me [SOF]?
Wish you were more active on here cause we could probably talk about wrestling a lot.

what is BEST moment in SBM history? (not counting April Fools stuff)
Hitting 10 years. Didn't think it would actually happen. A close second would be getting WOF on here for me.

who is the worst member ever on this site?
I can't think of a member that is the worst. I don't really hate anyone in particular. If there is ever one, you'll know it.

Do you watch Invader Zim or Ed Edd n Eddy? If you do, what are your favorite and least favorite episodes?
I have the entire series of IZ on DVD and I've seen a few episodes of Ed, Edd n Eddy. All the IZ episodes are great so I can't have a favorite or least favorite. EEnE I would need to rewatch it because I haven't seen it in a long time.

I think it would bring some great cartoon ideas for the future if they brought it back.

Who is your favorite member that joined June 29th, 2013?
InsertUsernameHere

Who is your favorite Teen Titan?
Raven. That is an awesome series and the Brotherhood of Evil was a great saga.

How does it feel being an admin?
It's alright if there's something to do.

who are you and who are you working for?
I'm ssj, your boss, your ruler, your master! *evil laugh*
I work for no one.

Can I be interviewed, ssj [mandythepharmacist14]?
Only if you work at Dairy Queen.

Never actually messed with one.

2x2x2? 3x3x3?
Does 1x1x1 count?

No. Do you ever listen?

Super Stickman Golf, Rat on Run, flickhomerun, Hanging with Friends, Gravity Guy

Can I be interviewed ssj [SquidBox]?
You have to work at DairyQueen.

Is there anytime you just feel bored on SBM?
When there is no activity on the forums, I would probably work on something on the site to keep myself from boredom on here.

What will happen when ssj leaves? Will the new boss be Aya?
Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes! Volcanoes! The dead rising from their graves! Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!
No.

May there be a trivia contest for SBM's 10th anniversary made by you that relates to anything SBM?
It's a good idea for the future. There was too much to be done (and still is, actually) that a trivia contest could be coming before the end of the year.

How do you all feel about Regular Show?
Never seen it.

I used to. I still keep a few with me in my closet for nostalgia purposes.

What's your favorite number?
4. Are you shocked?

Neither. They are a pain to fold up and keep in a cubby without taking up too much space.

Do you guys have a diary?
No. I keep my private thoughts in my mind.

What's your favorite sport and why?
Playing: Soccer. I was a great goalie back in the day. I miss playing it. Also, Ultimate Frisbee. Epic stuff. Finally, basketball. I like to think I'm great at defense and stealing the ball.
Watching: College basketball & football. I love going to these games and cheering and dressing up like a doofus for a couple hours.

I'll tell you what…take a guess and I'll eventually let you know if you're right or not.

What do you think when you first started this forum? Do you expect it to last this long?
It was fun working on it and didn't expect it to last more than season 4 or 5. Boy was I wrong.

E.V.I.L said:
When did ssj realize your coding genius?
Everytime we have an idea of something to put on the site, he magically codes it and just amazes me. Ever since v 5.

SBManiac!!!!!!

welp bye lol
Well...
1. Am I an okay member on here?
2. How annoyed are all of you guys from constantly being asked for interviews?
3. For ssj and SBRoxMan, have you ever met someone in real life or online with similar conditions as yours (ADHD, Asperger's)? If so, what were they like?
4. Will all/any of you go to see the second SpongeBob movie in theaters?

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Am I an okay member on here?
Who are you? Jk. Yes, you're a great member here. I don't have any issues with you.

How annoyed are all of you guys from constantly being asked for interviews?
I think it's really just me that is being asked. No one seems to have any patience for this and wants to be interviewed right away. That's not how this works around the 10th anniversary.

For ssj and SBRoxMan, have you ever met someone in real life or online with similar conditions as yours (ADHD, Asperger's)? If so, what were they like?
I know a couple former employees who have ADHD and they seem fine, they act fine, and nothing is wrong with them.

Will all/any of you go to see the second SpongeBob movie in theaters?
Yes. I might see it 6 times like I did with the first one.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Here are all the responses to questions specifically directed at me, I may get around to answering the general ones but I wanted to get the ones people specifically wanted me to answer, answered first.

Nards: Story of how you became a mod? Also, why do you hate google chrome? Fricken weirdo.
Don’t quote me on this but it was mainly because I had been a member for a long time but also I had stuck around and pretty much never left since I joined. I don’t really know how I did that to be honest, but I don’t visit much other forums on the web so it never really made me think to delete SBM from my bookmarks or anything.

Google Chrome? Meh. Sure it’s fast, but it’s pretty much useless for anything else. There are several features I prefer in Firefox. The Awesomebar absolutely kicks the behind of every other browser’s address bar. The amount of add-ons and their capabilities still astounds me, whereas Chrome add-on counterparts are quite limited in comparison. And finally it isn’t Googlefied and wanting me to use Google services all the time, reducing my dependence on Google.

Nards: What's your favourite activity to do that has nothing to do with electronics?
Are you trying to say that I spend too much time with gadgets? :P I have several. Walking my dog, going out with friends, going walking in the countryside, eating pizza on a Thursday whilst watching Parks & Recreation or whatever show I’m watching currently, playing golf with my dad, and that’s all I can think of at the top of my head without listing every single one which I’m sure would be boring to read.

EVIL: Honest opinion about me?
You’re obviously a dedicated member and fan of the show, there’s no doubt about that. You also actively engage in debates and discussion and offer support and guidance for other members, not something a lot of people do. Your photography is always great to see, you should post more if you get the chance. But you sometimes don’t know when to stop using a meme/joke that’s gotten old. Hey, you asked for an honest opinion! But that’s the only negative.

EVIL: Would you ever aspire to be admin?
No, I’m too lazy and I have no idea what I’d do if I was admin. I have no idea what I’m doing right now.

EVIL: How'd you react when you saw HPL's first avatar being exactly yours?
I secretly hoped she would be another newbie that would get bored of SBM after a week or two lol. I thought asking her nicely to change her avatar to stop confusion would be enough but obviously it wasn’t. It wasn’t a super big deal anyway, if I thought it was that bad I would have changed my own avatar.

EVIL: Do you see yourself here in 5 years?
Unfortunately I don’t have a screen on the wall that shows me where I’m standing 5 years from this moment yet, so I can’t tell you. I’ll have to save up for one. Didn’t even know they existed.

SpongeOddFan: Do you ever stay active after 10th anniversary?
I’m pretty sure I will. No plans to stop being active at the moment. Exams are coming up but I doubt that will make me post less, I hardly post daily at the moment anyway (but I visit the forums lots of times throughout the day).

SpongeyKid: DMAP and Philip, have you guys ever shown your face in the PRP thread? If not, will you some day?
I’ve shown my face several times over the years, but I usually remove it after a week or two for privacy.

Back