Artists That Don't Make Crap, In Fact One Might Go So Far As To Say They're Pretty Good, Also Bad Ar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banoon

TWENTY FIRST CENT'RY SCHIZOID MAANNN
this is the "artists that dont make crap" AND the "artists that do make crap" threads reborn for the umpteenth time and packed in one convenient thread place GO

as the old topic said <a href="http://grooveshark.com/" target="_blank">GROOVESHARK IS GOOD</a>

Top bands in bold, best bands in bold and underline
<u>good:</u>
Anamanaguchi (probably the only good band that manages to mix 8bit sounds with live instruments)
Cee-Lo Green (I like him better with Danger Mouse as Gnarls Barkley but still)
<b>Clap Your Hands Say Yeah</b> (It's a fusion of Radiohead and Talking Heads, what's not to love)
David Bowie
DJ Shadow (<i>Endtroducing</i> anyway)
Fatboy Slim (<i>You've Come a Long Way, Baby</i> anyway)
Gnarls Barkley (fun and upbeat and awesome)
<u><b>Gorillaz</b></u> (one of my favourite bands, even if it's only actually one person)
Justice (french house done right)
Lady Gaga (excellent for pop)
Led Zeppelin
<b>Neutral Milk Hotel</b> (these guys are pretty ::dolphin noise:: great, despite their obtuse indieness)
Nirvana
Parkway Drive (it's pretty generic metalcore but all my friends like them so I've grown to like them too)
Pink Floyd
<b>Queen</b> (one of the first bands I ever heard, they will never not be great)
<u><b>Radiohead</b></u> (my favourite band; they can do anything and every genre and it will sound awesome and beautiful and haunting all at once. Nothing will ever match <i>OK Computer</i> or <i>Kid A</i>. EDIT: except maybe Funeral and Ys)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (back when they were good)
<b>Sparks</b> (Most of their umpteen-billion albums are mediocre, but <i>Kimono My House, Propaganda</i>, and <i>Lil' Beethoven</i> are so fantastic it more than makes up for it)
<b>System of a Down</b> (their first two albums are just plain great, but their last two aren't as good since Daron the guitarist decided to splatter his extremely annoying voice all over the songs)
<u><b>Talking Heads</b></u> (gritty and weird and great, especially <i>Fear of Music.</i>
Terry Scott Taylor (composed the music for The Neverhood and Skullmonkeys, very obscure but very good video games so I don't know if it counts but nonetheless he's pretty great)
<u><b>The Beatles</b></u> (the first band I ever loved.)
The Offspring (they cool)
<b>Vampire Weekend</b> (as annoying as their extreme hip whiteness can be sometimes, the music is awesome enough to justify it)
EDIT: <u><b>Arcade Fire</b></u> (almost make Radiohead look like posers, thank you Ocean Man for introducing me, Funeral is my favourite album of all time even if Neon Bible and The Suburbs don't touch it)
EDIT: <b>King Crimson</b> (haven't heard anything but <i>In the Court of the Crimson King</i> but oh my god it's amazing)
EDIT: My Bloody Valentine (good on them for making layers of noisy guitars sound beautiful)
EDIT: Kanye West (I don't even usually like hiphop, but My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is amazing)
EDIT: The Flaming Lips (they pretty good)
EDIT: Ween (again only heard <i>The Mollusk</i> but it's great)
EDIT: <u><b>Joanna Newsom</b></u> (just plain beautiful, Ys is mindblowing)

<u>bad/mediocre:</u>
ABBA (eh, decent but extremely overrated)
Coldplay (ew, bad Radiohead ripoff with yuck)
La Roux (used to like them but the cheap, plonkity-plonk '80s synthpop aesthetic got annoying)
Linkin Park (okay fine the first couple albums were like DECENT but their decline only made them worse)
Muse (read the rest of the topic)
Nickelback (ew)
Scars on Broadway (screw you Daron, you and your nasally drone ruined SOAD)
Weezer (i don't even like the Blue Album and the old stuff, I honestly don't know why)
most other artists, though my music knowledge is admittedly empty and I am leaving out plenty of bands that are merely decent

<b>EDIT: Went more in-depth because I am bored</b>

sp0ngyb0b23

Master Sushiyama
Yes, Radiohead, VAMPIRE WEEKEND and Red Hot Chili Peppers are some of the most amazing bands I've ever heard. Vampire Weekend, hands down.

But I kind of don't agree with you on Weezer, Muse and Linkin Park as some of the worse though, cause I like them, lol.

BEST:
OASIS, HATE OASIS...THEN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT GOOD MUSIC IS.
The Beatles, of course
Passion Pit
Carolina Liar
Vampire Weekend
THE KILLERS
Blink 182
BLOC PARTY
COLDPLAY
DAFT PUNK
Explosions in the Sky
fun.
Goo Goo Dolls
Plus 44
Death Cab for Cutie
AND MANY MANY MORE.

Worse:
The mainstream scene, I mean come on. Almost all of the current songs right now are generic and about mindless unimportant things like being awesome, having mindless *since this is a conservative and happy place, I shall not say the word here* with everyone and all that fame. Learn and understand the word modesty people. Lol.

INDIE ALL THE WAAAY!

Banoon

But I kind of don't agree with you on Weezer, Muse and Linkin Park as some of the worse though, cause I like them, lol.
To each their own :P

I added Coldplay to the bad/mediocre list, by the way (yes i know you like them); both them and Muse strike me as Radiohead ripoffs without half the creativity, soul, or Thom Yorke. I can see the appeal I guess but they ain't for me

Thank you, Mothra <_<

sp0ngyb0b23

Master Sushiyama
To each their own =/

I added Coldplay to the bad/mediocre list, by the way (yes i know you like them); both them and Muse strike me as Radiohead ripoffs without half the creativity, soul, or Thom Yorke. I can see the appeal I guess but they ain't for me
I respect your opinion -_- One of the reasons why I love Coldplay is that, to me, their lyrics are amazing and they somewhat inspirational/philosophical to me, lol. I tend to overanalyze lyrics.

Ocean Man

search:party:animal
Tool (mindblowing... favorite band at the moment)
Oceansize (new album is phenomenal, Frames is eargasmic)
Porcupine Tree (or anything Steven Wilson)
Pink Floyd (obvs)
Amplifier (can't wait for new album)

^indisputable top 5, as for other bands I absolutely love:

The Beatles
Incubus
Gorillaz
Opeth
And So I Watch You From Afar
Deftones
The Arcade Fire (The Suburbs is fantastic)
Radiohead
NIN
Muse
Depeche Mode
Nirvana
Brand New
Karnivool
Isis
King Crimson
The Who
Minus The Bear
The Flaming Lips

that should do it for now

Also, I'm rather baffled at the claims of Muse being a ripoff band of Radiohead. Bar Showbiz, Muse haven't resembled Radiohead music-wise in their entire career. The only similarity I can hear are the voices, and in all fairness, their vocal style is not the most original anyway. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you at one point a Muse fan, banoon? Has the new album and/or discovery of Radiohead put you off of them?

Banoon

Also, I'm rather baffled at the claims of Muse being a ripoff band of Radiohead. Bar Showbiz, Muse haven't resembled Radiohead music-wise in their entire career. The only similarity I can hear are the voices, and in all fairness, their vocal style is not the most original anyway. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you at one point a Muse fan, banoon? Has the new album and/or discovery of Radiohead put you off of them?
It's a mix of the new album, getting headphones (i.e. realizing how nauseating distortion can be, etc), refined musical tastes, and discovering Radiohead. I was only a really big fan of Origin of Symmetry beforehand anyway, which I still like to an extent. Also yes Gorillaz are great, and i need to get some Arcade Fire as I keep hearing good things about them

One of the reasons why I love Coldplay is that, to me, their lyrics are amazing and they somewhat inspirational/philosophical to me, lol. I tend to overanalyze lyrics.
i guess, but i don't really give a crap about lyrics in music =P

Ocean Man

search:party:animal
It's a mix of the new album, getting headphones (i.e. realizing how nauseating distortion can be, etc), refined musical tastes, and discovering Radiohead. I was only a really big fan of Origin of Symmetry beforehand anyway, which I still like to an extent. Also yes Gorillaz are great, and i need to get some Arcade Fire as I keep hearing good things about them
I understand that. Their new album has definitely alienated a lot of their old fans. I don't listen to them that much but I still enjoy them (love origin of Symmetry and I like the two albums that follow it). And I do agree that Radiohead are far better.

The Arcade Fire are very very good. Their newest album has really got me into them. It's terrific.

Banoon

Hm. I'll get some albums of theirs tommorow.

By the way, I'm aware that Muse fans are aware and sick of empty reasonless Radiohead comparisons, so let me just say that the vocal style, the use of distortion, the space-rock influences, the often somber mood, the synths, etc all strike me as very similar to The Bends/OK Computer era Radiohead... just not as well executed

Arkei

Porous Freak
iForward, Russia!
65daysofstatic
Dartz
Dan Caballero
Death From Above 1979
Dinosaur Jr
Duels
The Polish Ambassador
Giraffes? Giraffes!
Grizzly Bear
GY!BE (some)
Kay Kay And His Weathered Underground
Minus the Bear
Muse (kind of)
Portugal. The Man
Ratatat
Small Leaks Sink Ships
You Say Party! We Say Die!
Young Knives

EDIT: Old thread? Old thread.

Banoon

Lol, I haven't updated this list in a while. A lot of new bands I like that I can't be bothered to add =P

GY!BE (some)
Why everyone like GY!BE? I only have "Lift Yr. Skinny Fists". I like Storm, and Static is alright, but most of the time they bore me...

Mothra

Billy Bighands
Samfree
Fall Out Boy
Dixie Flatline
Yoko Kanno
Panic! at the Disco
ryo
The Beatles
ZUN
Vitamin String Quartet
Gaga (although relistening to her stuff, it feels...thin at times)
May'n (Gay for that woman's voice. Dayum.)
Muse
Maaya Sakamoto
Oasis
Megumi Nakajima

If it's not on this list, then it's either okay to unsatisfactory or putting it on this list would not accurately portray my massively odd musical tastes.

MechaWave

Karate Master
Good:
Britney Spears (THIS WOMAN IS LEGEND. ♥♥♥)
Christina Aguilera (90s-early 2000s)
The Beatles
TLC
Cyndi Lauper (80s)
Michael Jackson (80s)
Madonna (80s)

too lazy to make more

Bad:
any artist these days (after 2008 it went downhill for me) that were not listed above
Nicki Minaj (her own exclusive spot)
I gave Gaga about 4 chances but she never delivered

Unlike most of you weird people, I don't listen to people that will never reach top of the charts, be heard on the radio, will sell over 5,000+ copies of CDs, or anyone that will never become popular.

Banoon

Best:

Owl City
Coldplay
Oasis

Worst:

Ke$ha (The tune is catchy, but that's the only good thing about it)
Lady Gaga
switch that list around (ke$ha notwithstanding) and it'll probably be more accurate.
oasis is a silly beatles ripoff and coldplay is a silly radiohead ripoff

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
This topic is like a broken pencil. Er...

Not to rain on anyone's parade (and I say this with all kindness), but please just know that ranting and raving about which musicians are great and what bands stink on ice doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

Someday you'll understand.

Here's looking at you, kids.

:whistle:

Carry on.

Mothra

Billy Bighands

Not to rain on anyone's parade (and I say this with all kindness), but please just know that ranting and raving about which musicians are great and what bands stink on ice doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

Carry on.
We're judging bands, not movies. Take your Casablanca paraphrasing somewhere else in this forum.

Banoon

Carry on.
>find people with similar tastes
>see what other bands they like
>listen to bands
>enjoy
>???
>profit

Status
Not open for further replies.