• Moviebob

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Modern SpongeBob Animation

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Cheekbob (season 6 version)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Noodlebob knock-off (Season 4-5)

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 2004 produced early season 4 (season 3 lookalikes)

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Greenblattbob (Dying for Pie and Fear of a Krabby Patty)

Votes: 21 16.5%

• Total voters

EM.

Moby Dollar
Bubble Buddy has a unique art style that isn't seen anywhere else in the show, and out of every episode in season 2, this episode is the closest looking thing to season 1:

View attachment 11898

Although it's electronically colored, it maintains that homemade healthy organic look. Neptune knows what kind of primitive machinery was used to color these episodes. I like the subdued look of the earlier seasons. But modern episodes, especially post 2nd movie have a a genetically modified look, with cancerous bright colors. I for one, hate the new post sequel art style, episodes are so wacky and off-model nowadays to the point that the show no longer has a definitive art style:

View attachment 11899

Off model animation does not work in the age of crisp animation. This is when Spongebob is not making wacky faces, and it still looks weird and disproportionate. I would much prefer if they stuck with the art style that they had in the first half of season 9.
It also feels like they lowered the frame rate too.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
It also feels like they lowered the frame rate too.

It feels like season 2/3 have a lower frame rate than the rest of the show. Is it me or does the old animation make the pre-movie episodes funnier. Something about the animation and sound effects in those seasons convey the humor so well.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Let's cover one of the later seasons in this analysis, anyone notice how the first half of season 7 looks like season 6, but the later episodes look exactly the same as season eight.

I Heart Dancing Looks like a season 6 episode:
Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 4.09.39 PM.png

But Krusty Dogs looks exactly like season 8:

Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 4.24.45 PM.png

The seasons animation switched over to season eight's artwork starting in Legends of Bikini Bottom.

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler
Yeah, and every episode of Family Guy since season 9 looks exactly the same, to the point where I can no longer tell what season an episode is in anymore. As for season 8, it could only be distingushed, because it's the only modern FG season that's not in HD. Ever notice how SpongeBob has been the same shade of yellow since season 5, despite the show switching to HD in season 9. (Although there were a few palebob episodes in season six). Other than that, spongebob's shade of yellow doesn't change anymore, like it did in seasons 2-4. In Season 1, his color doesn't change either, but that's due to cel animation.
And sometimes people crop season 8 to 16:9 so that makes it even harder to tell

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler
Yeah, and every episode of Family Guy since season 9 looks exactly the same, to the point where I can no longer tell what season an episode is in anymore. As for season 8, it could only be distingushed, because it's the only modern FG season that's not in HD. Ever notice how SpongeBob has been the same shade of yellow since season 5, despite the show switching to HD in season 9. (Although there were a few palebob episodes in season six). Other than that, spongebob's shade of yellow doesn't change anymore, like it did in seasons 2-4. In Season 1, his color doesn't change either, but that's due to cel animation.
ditchin was palebob, i think palebob episodes no longer exist now that new episodes are the exact same animation style

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
ditchin was palebob, i think palebob episodes no longer exist now that new episodes are the exact same animation style

That's an issue with a lot of modern shows, once the show clicks and finds a new art style, the show's animation stays the same for the rest of the show, or changes very little. Every episode of Gumball since season 2 looks exactly the same, Every Family Guy episode made in the past 10 years looks the same, Regular Show's animation changed very little since Butt Dial. Adventure Time also has far more episodes with the newer style, than the old one. Something I've noticed is that most long running shows have more modern episodes than classic ones.

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler
That's an issue with a lot of modern shows, once the show clicks and finds a new art style, the show's animation stays the same for the rest of the show, or changes very little. Every episode of Gumball since season 2 looks exactly the same, Every Family Guy episode made in the past 10 years looks the same, Regular Show's animation changed very little since Butt Dial. Adventure Time also has far more episodes with the newer style, than the old one. Something I've noticed is that most long running shows have more modern episodes than classic ones.
367.png
at least they still use markerbob backgrounds

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler
I can't really tell the difference between normal Spongebob backgrounds and markerbob backgrounds. I know that the markebob backgrounds more detailed and have more vibrant color.
Here's markerbob background (notice how the stripes are visible)
Flower_clouds.png
And Here's normal backgrounds (sorry if the image is small) (it looks so much more dull)
bandicam 2020-04-16 21-18-51-699.jpg

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I've noticed that Patrick's head is bent backward in the noodlebob episodes, but in markerbob, it rarely bends, and is shaped like a cone.

Noodlebob Patrick (left), Markerbob Patrick (right):

Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 7.34.25 PM.png Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 7.40.23 PM.png

Noodlebob Patrick has a thinner body, his dots are smaller, Markerbob Patrick's eyebrows are bushier, his head is pointer, noodlebob Patrick's head is more round and toe-like. Markerbob patrick is a darker shade of pink, and his outline is bold and red. Noodlebob Patrick's outline is thick and red

EM.

Moby Dollar
Oh in Have You Seen my Snail Spongebob switches about three-four times, from the season 5 look, to the movie look, to the main season 4 look

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler
Back