Anyone notice how pre-movie episodes have more realistic sound effects

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
No, I'm not bashing modern Spongebob. But I can't help but to notice the pre-movie seasons, especailly S2-S3, have very realistic sound effects. An example would be how you could hear Mr. Krabs' shell move whenever he moves his arms. Or how you can hear a light tapping sound when a character touches their head or arm. In "Artist Unknown", you could hear the metal clanging sound whenever SpongeBob and Squidward had the sculpting tools in their hands. In Krusty Love, along with many other pre-movie episodes, you can hear the customers murmur in the background of the Krusty Krab, along with the sound of moving silverware, if you listen very carefully. You would also hear a water "Whoosh" sound when a character moves their arms. And who could forget the sound of the ocean moving in the background too. Now it's mostly generic cartoony sound effects/

I'm not really surprised they don't do this anymore. The crew is making the animation more cartoony, so it doesn't really come as a surprise that they're making the sound effects more cartoony.

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
No, I'm not bashing modern Spongebob. But I can't help but to notice the pre-movie seasons, especailly S2-S3, have very realistic sound effects. An example would be how you could hear Mr. Krabs' shell move whenever he moves his arms. Or how you can hear a light tapping sound when a character touches their head or arm. In "Artist Unknown", you could hear the metal clanging sound whenever SpongeBob and Squidward had the sculpting tools in their hands. In Krusty Love, along with many other pre-movie episodes, you can hear the customers murmur in the background of the Krusty Krab, along with the sound of moving silverware, if you listen very carefully. You would also hear a water "Whoosh" sound when a character moves their arms. And who could forget the sound of the ocean moving in the background too. Now it's mostly generic cartoony sound effects/
Season 4 especially early Season 4 has these affects also, hell i'd argue that early Season 4 feels more underwater than late Season 3, same with the cartoony aspect, early season 4 is more cartoony then late Season 3, but thats just my view.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Honestly, I don't even pay attention to sound effects anymore. I like to try and hear the jokes and humor more than anything else. I'm sorry for disappointing you, ORU

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Early season 4 also still had the pre-movie aesthetic. The very fluent animation and the heavy usage of the aquatic sound effects. I also love how early season 4 has no background music playing in several scenes of the episodes. The later half of season 4 is too hyperactive and has a bunch of yelling and screaming, and the lack of underwater sound effects. People may disagree but I think early-S4 is pre-movie quality.

coft

happy hopping moron
Early season 4 also still had the pre-movie aesthetic. The very fluent animation and the heavy usage of the aquatic sound effects. I also love how early season 4 has no background music playing in several scenes of the episodes. The later half of season 4 is too hyperactive and has a bunch of yelling and screaming, and the lack of underwater sound effects. People may disagree but I think early-S4 is pre-movie quality.

Gotta agree here with the music. I miss when the episodes would have 1 - 2 minute periods of underwater sound effects than hearing those boring cartoon stings.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Anyone else think that the old animation and sound effects added to the comedy of pre-movie. The old sound effects and sloppy animation made the show more human and less cartoony.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
You make a great point about the sound effects in the old ones! I, too, noticed Mr. Krabs’ shell and the ocean water making subtle noises in the background. The littlest of details make a difference!

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
You make a great point about the sound effects in the old ones! I, too, noticed Mr. Krabs’ shell and the ocean water making subtle noises in the background. The littlest of details make a difference!

I miss how older episodes were more mellow. Modern episodes are sensory overload, almost to the point of sensory overload, due to unrealistic sound effects, cartoony stings, and constant loud music and screaming. It's nice to have underwater sounds, while you hear realistic sublte sounds, instead of loud generic ones being thrown in your face 24/7. This makes post-movie and post-sequel episodes feel like white noise after being watched so many times. I'll give early season 4 credit, it was the last point in the show, where things felt truly calm, and we were given breathing room to laugh at the jokes. Ever notice when there's a witty line of dialogue in pre-movie, there is little to no music or sounds being played. Anyone notice how the camera is more steady in pre-movie seasons, and there are less jump cuts. There's also less zooming in and way less panning.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
I miss how older episodes were more mellow. Modern episodes are sensory overload, almost to the point of sensory overload, due to unrealistic sound effects, cartoony stings, and constant loud music and screaming. It's nice to have underwater sounds, while you hear realistic sublte sounds, instead of loud generic ones being thrown in your face 24/7. This makes post-movie and post-sequel episodes feel like white noise after being watched so many times. I'll give early season 4 credit, it was the last point in the show, where things felt truly calm, and we were given breathing room to laugh at the jokes. Ever notice when there's a witty line of dialogue in pre-movie, there is little to no music or sounds being played. Anyone notice how the camera is more steady in pre-movie seasons, and there are less jump cuts. There's also less zooming in and way less panning.

You speak the truth, dude. You really do. Modern episodes have got WAY too much going on. Tons of music and screaming and laughing. You’re right about the moments of quiet in the older episodes. Sometimes there would be no music, it would be so quiet, that you could hear those ocean water sounds. Man, modern day episodes being a “sensory overload” is honestly a great way to put it. I also feel similarly about the obnoxious facial expressions that the characters make nowadays. You can find my post about that on my profile, probably.

Also, season 4, being one of my favorite seasons, well, I agree it definitely deserves credit for at least trying to live up to the previous three seasons.

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
I agree the current seasons are too "hyper" the hyper theme only works on high action scenes, I thought Sandy's Nutty had great animation, however i'd argue that the show feels more "underwater" and less stale then back during Seasons 6-9A. Also I know late Season 3 had less underwater and less silent scenes (for pete's sakes go look at crazy episodes like "I Had A Accident" you wont find any silent Season 1 style scenes in that episode lol) Early Season 4 had some silent scenes (The Lost Mattress, Skill Crane etc)

EDIT: I was watching a scene from the Amazon ver Birthday Blowout episode and during the "awards Sandy and Squidward scene" you can hear Sandy's arms moving and the transition to Squids awards with water affects and when Sandy grabbed Squid, you can see bubbles. Its just with high action scenes and constant music, you can't hear nor see water affects as well. I didn't notice them on my TV but on my computer which the audio is closer, I heard it closer and more clear.

Last edited:

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
You speak the truth, dude. You really do. Modern episodes have got WAY too much going on. Tons of music and screaming and laughing. You’re right about the moments of quiet in the older episodes. Sometimes there would be no music, it would be so quiet, that you could hear those ocean water sounds. Man, modern day episodes being a “sensory overload” is honestly a great way to put it. I also feel similarly about the obnoxious facial expressions that the characters make nowadays. You can find my post about that on my profile, probably.

Also, season 4, being one of my favorite seasons, well, I agree it definitely deserves credit for at least trying to live up to the previous three seasons.

An episode like Band Geeks wouldn't be as funny if at had cartoon stings and cartoony sound effects all the time. Sailor Mouth would be cringy if it didn't have the sloppy early 2000's digital ink and paint animation with the realistic sound effects and moments of of silence.

Back