Anybody else think Sandy is underrated?

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
Sorry this took a while. I've been debating on making this for weeks, then homework, laziness and college applications got in the way, but now I mustered up the free time (and not that much of it) to start this. I hope some of you agree with my semi-long rant. Sorry in advance, but I don't know how to put pics here. Blame the fact that I'm a newbie in forums...

So here we go. In pre-movie episodes, Sandy :sandy: became an instant favorite for me. I felt a sort of connection (not romantic you trolls :hehe: ) because my cousin is Texan and she speaks and acts the same way as Sandy (Stubborn, prideful, has a thick Southern drawl, etc.). In my opinion, Sandy is underrated and underplayed. She is one of my favorite characters and it pains me to see that the writers are not using her as much as she should, especially post-movie. My other favorite characters are SB and Patrick, but I don't have much to say about them because they are praised on the show much more than Sandy.

First Point: Sandy needs to play a bigger role in more episodes.
In post-movie seasons (mostly seasons 5-7), even when Sandy DOES appear, she mostly either gives little to no purpose in the plot (SB v. The Big One, Truth or Square, Tentacle Vision) or she makes a useless cameo (granted the plots in which she makes a cameo in do not really involve her, but the writers should either leave her out of that ep completely or AT LEAST give her some form of dialogue). Cameos and background appearances are meant for the Bikini Bottomites (unfortunately so). It gets to the point where the comics and books are giving Sandy more attention than the actual show. Obviously there are exceptions to this [Flea in Her Dome, Karate Island, Overbooked (these episodes are not well liked by viewers but they are episodes in which Sandy plays a big role)]. The way I see it, the writers are basically showing me that she is still on the show. Honestly I can't see how they can't think of much with Sandy. She's the sole female main character and only main land creature. These traits alone practically make her a plot device on her own right. Nowadays, Sandy either plays as the hero or the scientist whose inventions usually last one episode (reminds me of Jimmy Neutron). It's good to see that she is playing a bigger role in episodes in Season 8 such as Frozen Face-Off, Ghoul Fools, The Way of the Sponge, Bubble Troubles, and some more that I can't think of right now. Hopefully it continues in Season 9.

Second Point: Mix up Sandy's Traits.
This kinda feeds off what I had to say in the poll over Sandy's Extreme and Scientist sides. We all know that early in the show, Sandy was primarily a thrillseeking cowgirl that was good at karate and playing guitar. I found Sandy most enjoyable in all honesty back then. Then, out of nowhere, the writers suddenly turned Sandy into a arrogant scientist, which surprised me, but I accepted the change thinking it could bring more episode ideas. Many may not like Sandy's scientific side, but this can explain why Sandy is underwater to begin with, proven so by the episode Chimps Ahoy. One does not simply appear underwater with a space suit and treedome and not be a scientist. Like I said before, the way Sandy's extreme and cowgirl sides almost disappeared without a trace since then disappoints me. If this continued to Season 9, I honestly will not be surprised if Sandy completely loses her Southern drawl. I kinda wanna see the writers mix Sandy's traits more often because they make her a LOT more entertaining. It also shows that the writers know how to diversify a character, and Sandy is one of the most diverse characters on the show.

Third Point: Give Sandy more emotion.
Okay, before you yell at me, I did not mean emotional in a sensitive way like SpongeBob. I meant in a sense that Sandy should show more emotion than primarily happy, angry, or annoyed. We know Sandy is physically and mentally strong, but I want to see at least a little weakness emotionally. It can be interesting to see a plot or two where Sandy shows fear or sadness over something and SB (and Patrick) tries to find out what is wrong with her and tries to think a way for her to feel better (Maybe Spandy intended, if you want it to. :shifty:) Maybe even throw in some womanly traits such as being overprotective (may be VERY interesting to see THIS side of Sandy in particular) or concerned (seen before in Gift of Gum and Suds).

Sooo here's the end of my rant... What do some of you guys think? Are there any MORE suggestions to make Sandy more relevant on the show? Is there anything you guys can add on to my points?

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
I know you put a lot of work into that post and I'll reply fully later, but no one likes Sandy anymore because she doesn't do any of the things you mentioned. :p

Sweat

Banished
You know, Sandy is a good character, but recently, she's gotten really smug. That's why I don't like her as much anymore.

That One Random Boss said:
Sorry this took a while. I've been debating on making this for weeks, then homework, laziness and college applications got in the way, but now I mustered up the free time (and not that much of it) to start this. I hope some of you agree with my semi-long rant. Sorry in advance, but I don't know how to put pics here. Blame the fact that I'm a newbie in forums...

So here we go. In pre-movie episodes, Sandy :sandy: became an instant favorite for me. I felt a sort of connection (not romantic you trolls :hehe: ) because my cousin is Texan and she speaks and acts the same way as Sandy (Stubborn, prideful, has a thick Southern drawl, etc.). In my opinion, Sandy is underrated and underplayed. She is one of my favorite characters and it pains me to see that the writers are not using her as much as she should, especially post-movie. My other favorite characters are SB and Patrick, but I don't have much to say about them because they are praised on the show much more than Sandy.

First Point: Sandy needs to play a bigger role in more episodes.
In post-movie seasons (mostly seasons 5-7), even when Sandy DOES appear, she mostly either gives little to no purpose in the plot (SB v. The Big One, Truth or Square, Tentacle Vision) or she makes a useless cameo (granted the plots in which she makes a cameo in do not really involve her, but the writers should either leave her out of that ep completely or AT LEAST give her some form of dialogue). Cameos and background appearances are meant for the Bikini Bottomites (unfortunately so). It gets to the point where the comics and books are giving Sandy more attention than the actual show. Obviously there are exceptions to this [Flea in Her Dome, Karate Island, Overbooked (these episodes are not well liked by viewers but they are episodes in which Sandy plays a big role)]. The way I see it, the writers are basically showing me that she is still on the show. Honestly I can't see how they can't think of much with Sandy. She's the sole female main character and only main land creature. These traits alone practically make her a plot device on her own right. Nowadays, Sandy either plays as the hero or the scientist whose inventions usually last one episode (reminds me of Jimmy Neutron). It's good to see that she is playing a bigger role in episodes in Season 8 such as Frozen Face-Off, Ghoul Fools, The Way of the Sponge, Bubble Troubles, and some more that I can't think of right now. Hopefully it continues in Season 9.

Second Point: Mix up Sandy's Traits.
This kinda feeds off what I had to say in the poll over Sandy's Extreme and Scientist sides. We all know that early in the show, Sandy was primarily a thrillseeking cowgirl that was good at karate and playing guitar. I found Sandy most enjoyable in all honesty back then. Then, out of nowhere, the writers suddenly turned Sandy into a arrogant scientist, which surprised me, but I accepted the change thinking it could bring more episode ideas. Many may not like Sandy's scientific side, but this can explain why Sandy is underwater to begin with, proven so by the episode Chimps Ahoy. One does not simply appear underwater with a space suit and treedome and not be a scientist. Like I said before, the way Sandy's extreme and cowgirl sides almost disappeared without a trace since then disappoints me. If this continued to Season 9, I honestly will not be surprised if Sandy completely loses her Southern drawl. I kinda wanna see the writers mix Sandy's traits more often because they make her a LOT more entertaining. It also shows that the writers know how to diversify a character, and Sandy is one of the most diverse characters on the show.

Third Point: Give Sandy more emotion.
Okay, before you yell at me, I did not mean emotional in a sensitive way like SpongeBob. I meant in a sense that Sandy should show more emotion than primarily happy, angry, or annoyed. We know Sandy is physically and mentally strong, but I want to see at least a little weakness emotionally. It can be interesting to see a plot or two where Sandy shows fear or sadness over something and SB (and Patrick) tries to find out what is wrong with her and tries to think a way for her to feel better (Maybe Spandy intended, if you want it to. :shifty:) Maybe even throw in some womanly traits such as being overprotective (may be VERY interesting to see THIS side of Sandy in particular) or concerned (seen before in Gift of Gum and Suds).

Sooo here's the end of my rant... What do some of you guys think? Are there any MORE suggestions to make Sandy more relevant on the show? Is there anything you guys can add on to my points?
Agree Sandy is truly underrated.

Sandy is very underrated, especially her scientist side. In my opinion, her scientist side is interesting and I like her inventions but I still like her extreme side more.

I think Sandy is a very funny character and she is still one of my favorite charatcers of SpongeBob. Sandy is 100X better than the most stupid starfish in the universe.

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
I love Sandy, and I definitely agree she needs more love from both the writers and the fans. While she's not the funniest character, I personally think she's funnier than people give her credit for, but most importantly she just has a really cool, likable personality. She's kind, tough, smart, and one of the most versatile characters on the show. She's also the only major female character, and an awesome one at that. Unfortunately the post-movie writers tend to use her as a plot-device rather than an actual character. I'd like her to be given more screen-time, and I'd like the writers to experiment with her a little more.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
There are so many potential plots that can include Sandy and that can mix up her personalities but surprise surprise, the writers are not taking that to their advantage. She is very nice and she should appear more often as a main role in episodes.

Jibbix said:
I know you put a lot of work into that post and I'll reply fully later, but no one likes Sandy anymore because she doesn't do any of the things you mentioned. :p
That's exactly what the creators are doing to make so many dislike her. If they just bring the old her back and use her more often, her liking would increase exponentially.

NastyPatty2002

Dead Inspector
Sandy is the standout character. A land creature (this topic was exploited quite well with Pressure), Sandy seems to have a lot of skills that she happily shares with her friends (i.e. karate). I think what makes her a pivotal character is her endless plot devices that are resulting from excellent character centric traits. She has a unique, well-rounded personality of athleticism, wit and of course a little Texas flair.

I feel the producers/writers don't exploit her for what she oughta be exploited for, there are good episodes that could be made revolving around her, but whatever episodes she has appeared in so far I can't say hasn't been a good one. Sandy is just an all-around quirky character, in summarization.

I agree, I think Sandy should be used more, and if she is used, bring back more of her extreme side. I mean, I don't mind the scientist thing, but I'd like for it to not turn into the only facet of her personality. Like you said, they can mix it up a little.

jeffrey

Floating Shopping List
dude dat icon is epic

also, trolls on THIS forum would be really weird right

Anyway, of course I agree with all of this. I'm glad to see her get any screentime at all these days, but I'd rather see her be more like she was in "Texas" and such, as opposed to this buttoned up scientist person. I echo what others have said: if she's underrated, it's only because the writers don't really use her to her fullest ability.

jeffrey said:
also, trolls on THIS forum would be really weird right
Trolls are pretty common though. Hell, I'm semi-trol. XD

BTW, a lot of things that could have used Sandy in previous episodes have never been taken advantage of. I'd love to see Sandy work in the Krusty Krab and mess everything up (to get rid of her Mary Sue demeanor)

jeffrey

Floating Shopping List
Trolls are pretty common though. Hell, I'm semi-trol. XD

BTW, a lot of things that could have used Sandy in previous episodes have never been taken advantage of. I'd love to see Sandy work in the Krusty Krab and mess everything up (to get rid of her Mary Sue demeanor)
But everyone is so nice here! <3

That, or everyone just throwin' shade at me.

Nah j/k, y'all nice

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
I thought I remember this being an issue back when Sandy was in so many episodes in a season?

Back