Any episode in which you've noticed a big shift in the general consensus?

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
I don't think it's too surprising that over time opinions on what is considered the best and worst episodes change over time, but are there any episodes in which you've noticed a huge change in the public opinion of it?

For me, I have at least two.

The Camping Episode used to be considered by many as one of the Top 3 greatest episodes of the show, and while there's still some who love it such as me, the episode has also met a lot of criticism in recent years due to things such as the ending sea bear attacks.

The other one is Battle of Bikini Bottom, which used to be among many peoples' least favorite episodes because of "gross-out", but in recent years some have praised it and a few have even stated that it's one of their favorites of Season 5.

If you can think of any others, post them here in this thread.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Atlantis SquarePantis and Truth or Square used to be praised mightily, and now people really hate it.

Houce Fancy, because of the toe nail scene was really hated.

Bubble Buddy used to be a classic among many people, these are all just things I've noticed.

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
I think Atlantis has always been a hated episode, it was just a lot more balanced out by the praisers back then compared to now. Truth or Square I definitely agree on though, as well as the other 2.

I'm not sure, did people really like Season 9a? I personally didn't like it and I remember people talking about its infamous episodes a lot like Little Yellow Book and Squid Baby, but at this point nobody even slighlty cares about Season 9a anymore.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Band Geeks was considered God-Tier, though many now consider it overrated.

Fear of a Krabby Patty was commonly despised throughout the Internet for being the first Post-Movie episode, but within the last few years, massive appreciation for this episode has grown. Same can be said for other Season 4 episodes: The Lost Mattress, Krabs vs. Plankton, Shell of a Man, Krusty Towers, etc.

Sportz? went from being one of the worst things to come out of the series, to just another bad episode.

Mimic Madness went from being a modern classic to just another good episode.

The Splinter used to be one of the big bads, but was pretty much dethroned once A Pal for Gary & One Coarse Meal became the episode everyone went to attack.

Spongebob07

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Like FD said, the hate for House Fancy has really been toned down lately. Which is good cause aside the toenail scene it isn't one of the worst of the series.

spongebranch

Banished
Patrick! The Game was really praised when it came out, now it seems like it's seen as really tedious.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
It doesn’t get any more obvious than with One Coarse Meal.
As for the show at large, whenever a new season used to come out, it would he touted as the return to form, before being shoved into the rest of the dark age after a few years. Now it seems like new seasons are harder for the fans to stomach, but they end up just being fine after a while.

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
I also think both A Pal for Gary and Rodeo Daze were once seen as good episodes when they came out, but that's definitely not the case anymore.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
I actually think the hatred for APfG and OCM along with a few other infamous episodes has died down lately. I haven't seen many people singling out those episodes as often and putting them as their least favorite anymore. While they're still considered bad episodes, nowadays most people seem to say that there are episodes that they personally find worse, or even admit that they don't think those episodes are that bad or even bad at all. It could be because the episodes are old news at this point, or some of them moved onto bash Ink Lemonade.

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
I also have noticed Karate Island doesn't really get hatred anymore. Which makes sense, as I believe a lot of the hatred for that episode came from it being ranked #1 on the Best Day Ever countdown many years ago (Which lets be real, most likely happened because a lot of the voters were young children who had season 4 on the brain). It's still not a very well liked episode, but most people these days at least view it as just meh or passable (and I'm in that camp myself).

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Pet Sitter Pat only started getting hate after Mr Enter reviewed it, personally I enjoy it but get why he and others don't.

I remember people (including myself) liked One Coarse Meal when it came out. What in Neptune's name was I thinking? Well, I was only ten, so I guess my mind didn't "get" that driving someone to suicide isn't funny.

I think people also liked Demolition Doofus when it came out, but now it's mainly hated because of Mrs. Puff's vicious behavior.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Food Con Castaways. The behavior of Krabs, Squidward and Patrick towards SpongeBob was critisised, as well as the gags and really over-the-top expressions. Now, it is praised for some reason.
Also Code Yellow. Was bashed when it came out, now it is called one of the more down-to-earth episodes of Season 10, along with its sister episode (really, there aren't much wacky facial expressions here as you think).

And Snail Mail was also noted for its misleading title and really predictable plot twist (in comparison with the previous one, Bulletin Board, where they didn't even try to hide the fact that Patrick is PStar-7).

Back