Yece

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Just want to meet any other art students here. Would be cool to discuss about courses you take and share art :)

I'm an animation major in my 3rd year.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Not a single artistic bone in my body although I've tried with nowhere near success of what your sig looks like.

Amiaprettygirl

I love the sponge! I need the sponge! ;)
I took art in high school
A basic drawing class in college
The other classes I took were more on how to draw houses and furniture because I'm studying to be an interior designer :D

PinkPearl

insert title here
Not even close. I'm a terrible artist, yet it seems really common to be a good one on SBM for some reason. I often got low Bs and Cs on my art projects in high school...luckily, there was also a writing portion of the course. The fact that they graded so much on talent is stupid to me.

Yece

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Amiaprettygirl said:
I took art in high school
A basic drawing class in college
The other classes I took were more on how to draw houses and furniture because I'm studying to be an interior designer :D
That's awesome! How do you like interior design so far? Also do you use any design software?

CherrySponge said:
I'm currently taking Art for my GCSE.
Nice! What's "GCSE" btw?

Amiaprettygirl said:
I drew this a few days ago
attachicon.gif
received_10210407383553593.jpeg
ADORABLE, you seem like a fantasitc artist (: I love the soft shading.

Delta Stream said:
I'm not an art student yet I took art classes in high school. I still draw as a hobby though.
What major are you looking into once you're a student?

11th

Moby Dollar
Animation major 2012 to present, minus one semester.

In chara design (again -- credit didn't transfer), acting, and art history at the moment.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
I'm a former Graphic Design GCSE student...
No interest in the A-Level, which is why I'm in Media Studies!

Oh, and I sort of regret not doing the Graphics A Level now...I hate learning Media stuff...

I'm currently more of a hobbyist artist. Not professional, but I don't care - as long as I'm happy, it's good enough for me!

Yece

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Tuba95 said:
I guess I'm one.

I applied to 3 art related courses (plus business lol) to a college in my city. They center around concept art and graphic design mainly. I do like to draw in my spare time, so there's that too :)
Nice! Are they your first art courses? I've done some graphic design work last semester at a university-based job. I liked it a lot, trained on how to use photoshop and illustrator, and dig a bit in HTML and CSS.

11th said:
Animation major 2012 to present, minus one semester.

In chara design (again -- credit didn't transfer), acting, and art history at the moment.
Ah, nice to have another animation student here!!! How do you like character design so far? Also, is your acting class animation related?

SpongeFan257 said:
I'm a former Graphic Design GCSE student...
No interest in the A-Level, which is why I'm in Media Studies!

Oh, and I sort of regret not doing the Graphics A Level now...I hate learning Media stuff...

I'm currently more of a hobbyist artist. Not professional, but I don't care - as long as I'm happy, it's good enough for me!
Nothing wrong with that! Doing what you love gives life meaning.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I am the worst artist to grace the Earth honestly. I have a lot of respect for people who can do it well.

11th

Moby Dollar
SparklySponge said:
Ah, nice to have another animation student here!!! How do you like character design so far? Also, is your acting class animation related?
It's okay. I enjoy learning about it and analyzing design, but I'm not the best at actually designing things.

Acting isn't exactly animation specific, but it is a graduation requirement. Regardless, it's much, much better than the first time I tried to take it.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure my first teacher just assumed that we knew the basics and threw us into solo improv. It was terrifying and not particularly useful. My current teacher has gotten much more in-depth with body language and voice, and is making a point not to single us out too much (yet). She even took first week to talk about live acting vs. animation so that she could figure out what would be the most useful for us, since she doesn't know much about animation.

Yece

Bomb-Selling Pirate
11th said:
It's okay. I enjoy learning about it and analyzing design, but I'm not the best at actually designing things.

Acting isn't exactly animation specific, but it is a graduation requirement. Regardless, it's much, much better than the first time I tried to take it.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure my first teacher just assumed that we knew the basics and threw us into solo improv. It was terrifying and not particularly useful. My current teacher has gotten much more in-depth with body language and voice, and is making a point not to single us out too much (yet). She even took first week to talk about live acting vs. animation so that she could figure out what would be the most useful for us, since she doesn't know much about animation.
My school also has an acting class (acting for animators), but it isn't required for graduation. I'd love to take it bc acting is so important for referencing and to show believable subtext within characters. I'm so glad you're enjoying it now, pretty cool your new teacher is helping you guys out like that.

So what path in the animation field you're thinking about going for?

11th

Moby Dollar
SparklySponge said:
My school also has an acting class (acting for animators), but it isn't required for graduation. I'd love to take it bc acting is so important for referencing and to show believable subtext within characters. I'm so glad you're enjoying it now, pretty cool your new teacher is helping you guys out like that.

So what path in the animation field you're thinking about going for?
To be honest, I'm not really sure. I definitely prefer 2D to 3D. I'd love to be involved in the character animation side of things, but I don't think that's very viable for 2D, at least not with the current industry in the states. I suppose the next closest thing would be boarding.

How about you?

Back