American Idol

Abby

Floating Shopping List
Why do you want it cancelled? So are all of you going watch the audtions tonight? I'm really looking forward to 'em :blink:

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
They always save the worst for last. This girl who I thought was decent was absolutely horrific :lol: More details later. Bedtime XD

Abby

Floating Shopping List
Lol, you mean Mary Roache? She actually posted on the American Idol website, back in August. She posted this ..

>>"You're one of the worst singers I've ever heard!" exclaimed Simon Cowell to me, after making me sing TWO songs. What I don't understand is, when he disliked my voice so much, why did he even wait till the end of my first song to cut me off, anyway? Not only that, but why did he request MORE, and not cut me off until the near end again? How peculiar. He has stated before that within 30 seconds, he is able to tell whether people can sing or not. If he is, why didn't he cut me off after 30 seconds to tell me I was terrible, instead of leading me on to believe that he actually dug it, just to greet me with his famous line? Nevertheless, I thanked him. I've heard him state, "you're one of the worst singers I've ever heard!" many times to different people, but it was truly made official when it was up close and personal. @_@ Now, onto the story!

I arrived at 6 AM on Tuesday morning at the Convention Center in Washington, DC. I got a wristband fairly quickly, then went shopping in DC before I went home. I live in Manassas(VA), which is about 45 minutes away, so I didn't have to do the campout thing(I mean, REALLY, those people smelled GREAT on Wednesday!) or stay in a nearby hotel. On Wednesday, I arrived at 4 AM, to stay in the dungeon, as I like to call it. It was a hard, cold concrete floor in a spot further underground than I knew existed. After being in the dungeon for what felt like eternity, we finally moved up to the... oh joy, I like to call this one the *upper* dungeon! It was no different than the previous room, except for the fact that it was on the main entry level. This room was worse, though, because I never got to sit down anymore.

I was unprepared, so I wore white pants to my audition and forgot to bring a cloth or towel to sit on. I had to resort to the bare concrete, which left a gray mark on my butt. Lovely. I rinsed it all off in the ladies?? room, then followed this girl??s brilliant idea of sticking paper towels in my pants to A) help dry the wet spot left and B) keep people from seeing my panties. This idea ended up not being so brilliant, because it made my butt look ...unnaturally crinkled. How tacky! Then, to make things tackier, I grabbed like 324739 paper towels (mmkay, I??m exaggerating) to place down on the concrete in hopes to prevent further marks. This was all fine until we actually got to leave the dungeon... then, I had to pick up those 324739 paper towels and throw them away.

At first, I was ecstatic about leaving the dungeon. Then, when I noticed that the room we re-located to was almost identical, my hopes deflated. I never got to sit down anymore, which was good for my pants but horrible for my feet. By the time I reached the end of that gigantic line, proceeding with exit for upstairs, I was almost walking funny. But, some possibly interesting things happened in this room. Everyone kept begging me to sing, so I decided to. All these people after they heard me said, "YOU??RE GONNA BE ON TV! YOU??RE GONNA BE THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL! WE KNOW YOU??RE GONNA MAKE IT!" I felt OH so GOOD! I didn??t expect to be receiving that kind of attention.

When the time came for my actual audition, I was nervous beyond belief. However, the judges let me through anyway, after some mild coaxing on my part(they sort of weren??t sure, and told me it was because of my uncontrolled nervousness). My nervousness really messed me up, and I stared into space singing my song. They seemed mildly interested anyway, and I believe it was because I was... unique. I had this preppy meets rockstar look about me, and I have an undeniably unique voice. I??m also very energetic and enthusiastic. For some reason, people hate to turn down this breed of folks.

So I walked out happy... so happy, in fact, that I almost walked out the wrong door and didn??t fill out my paperwork! Luckily, someone saw me about to run out the door, and stopped me. They photographed me, and I held my orange piece of paper in front of me, criminal mug shot style. Then, I filled out more paper, and walked out of the room. As soon as I walked out of the room, everyone kept asking me to sing. I did sing, and people tried to record me on their cell phones. So many people congratulated me and told me I sounded good, except for a sparse few that I remember. One said, "You can??t sing! That??s some crap!" and another said, "Yeah right... yeah, they??re just looking for DIFFERENT." This really nice girl named Geneva (if you??re reading this, I??m giving a shout to you, girl!) hugged me and said she believed in me all along, and told me to remember her if I get on TV. Well, sweetie, I remember you, but... no TV for me, I??m afraid. If you get on, now you can remember ME, haha.

The next day, I arrived at the Renaissance Hotel (soooo much nicer than the Convention Center!) at exactly 7. I waited all day to audition and was second to last. The waiting wasn??t horrible - there were nice people all around me who I made conversation throughout the day with. (True of the days before too - everyone was so friendly and supportive.) I really befriended this one very interesting girl who sang punk rock, and talked to her the whole day. She also had a band, and gave me a copy of their CD. Plus, I got to SIT DOWN all day in a COMFY chair. :)

So my audition was around 8 or so, I think. I was fairly calm. I realized I had to overcome my nerves, walk in there, sing, dance, and show those judges what I??m about! I sang "I Feel the Earth Move" then they asked me if I had any other songs prepared, so I sang "Beautiful." Then, they asked me if I??d made up my own version of "America the Beautiful," to which I responded that I hadn??t, but being a performer, I could improvise something on the spot. So I did. They then asked me if I saw myself as being the next American Idol, and what I felt an American Idol had to have. I answered that it wasn??t just singing talent, but also confidence, charisma, originality and stage presence. They told me I had my own original style, stage presence, and vocal strength. They did not say a single critical or negative word about me and told me I would be seeing the judges tomorrow, and I said, "Thank you! I love you!!" I picked up my yellow slip from the lady who handed it to me, and I said, "I love you, too!" And then the camera shined in my face, to which I said, "And I love the camera! I MADE IT!" I talked all about how I felt and how excited I was. Then, I made the mistake of almost walking out again, when a security guard stopped me and told me I still had to do an interview. Since I was last in line for this(the girl before me didn??t make it), I decided to go upstairs and make about twenty 30-second phone calls to my friends and family, telling them I made it through the second round.

I came back down the stairs and decided to sit and wait for my interview, and that I would make more calls later. The interview lady named Megan and I were both tired, and she told me we should keep this short for both of our sake. We got into some conversation, anyway, and I really liked her. She told me I was "golden" and seemed like a very creative person. I gotta say, I :lol: her. She was such a sweetheart. She was by far my favorite of the press people or whatever they were.

The next day was my Hollywood audition. I wasn??t nervous, but I was extremely excited. This was the BIG audition... in front of Randy, Simon, and Paula. I remained confident the whole day, with the exception of the occasional 10-second nervous spell. The day was fairly boring - again, I was second to last to audition, so I had to wait around all day. Only this time, there weren??t people on all sides of me. It got to the point where everyone in my row had gone, as well as everyone behind me. I got B-O-R-E-D (I HAD to spell it out, that??s how boring it got!) I got interviewed by a few camera people, and pulled out for photographs.

Then came time to finally leave that room and get in line for auditions. Actually, it was getting in line for "the confessional" and I just *thought* it was auditions. I felt the nervous tension building up inside me, then I realized they were just going to ask me questions. Cool. They didn??t pry too deep or ask me any true confessional questions, and I commented on that. After all, I WAS raised a Catholic ;)

Then I reported back to the boring room, got in line, and waited for my big Hollywood audition. I was excited and giddy to finally meet Simon, Paula, and Randy. (As well as the guest judge Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray, who I must say is very nice to look at. Oh, so was Ryan Seacrest, while we??re on that topic. And Paula Abdul is so pretty.) I sang "I Feel the Earth Move" again, and then they asked me to sing another song. So I sang "Beautiful" like I did on my auditions the previous day, since those two songs seemed to work for me. Simon asked me how I thought I did, and I responded, "Not too shabby." He said, "Mary... you are one of the worst singers I??ve ever heard! How do you possibly think you could enter this competition?" I said, "Well, my friends told me I can sing. They were the ones who got me singing, actually, because before them, I didn??t know I had any singing ability." Then Simon said something to the effect of "well, you??re awful!" I asked him if he was serious, or just trying to see my reaction. Randy told me I was tone deaf, and Simon added that my voice was completely strange. I said, "Well, hey, that *could* be original." Simon told me I must have voices in my head, and I played along. I said, "Yeah. They??re there. Voices in my head." I sounded real dry and stoic, like maybe there really *were* voices in my head and I was admitting to it. I thanked Simon for saying I was horrible and continued to say that I would not walk out crying like everyone else did, and that their comments wouldn??t break me. I also wanted to know how I made it through the first two auditions if I was so horrendous. Paula was a sweetheart, and wished me luck in whatever I did.

Now, this is where the fun begins! I walked out with a HUGE smile on my face, but no yellow slip, and said, "Simon told me I??m one of the worst singers he??s ever heard... AND I??M PROUD OF IT! \m/" I talked on about what went on inside there, what my experiences in the previous auditions seemed like, and my opinions on the judges. I said exactly what I was feeling at the time, delivering it all in a sassy, comical manner. (Which may be shown on TV on Tuesday or Wednesday... whenever they start to air the auditions and beyond, and maybe sooner on the local news - I was already on yesterday??s 10 o??clock news on Fox 5 very briefly.) I talked on and on, and the camera people were really intrigued. They said no one else had ever spoken their mind quite the way I was doing after auditions, and that it would definitely be all over TV. I don??t regret a single word I said, and I have to admit that I??m proud of myself for truly being who I am - sticking up for myself as a person, regardless of what I sound like vocally.

So now, I??m sure you wonder if I believe I can sing anymore. I??m not sure. Many, many people have told me I *can* sing - friends, family, random strangers, et cetera, and I??ve believed. I??ve made many theatrical plays, but perhaps it??s exclusively my acting that did me in. I have some very blunt and honest friends who have annoyed me with their honesty, so I??m sure if I really WAS a terrible singer, they would have told me so at least in some way, and NOT encouraged me to audition for American Idol. (It was their idea for me to go on American Idol in the first place.) Perhaps my voice was shot, I was tired, and I completely bombed my audition. Perhaps my tiredness made me tone deaf, and I was too out of it to hear how disgusting I sounded. Perhaps the judges just didn??t like me for some reason. Perhaps I really AM terrible. Whatever the story behind that is, it??s all good. I figured that if I made American Idol, I wouldn??t make it on account of *just* my singing. I thought my charisma, enthusiasm, dancing(which I must add that I don??t take very seriously either), stage presence, and overall cuteness would make me a star.

I didn??t take this extremely seriously. I did it for fun. I really wanted to make past the first audition, because I knew that is when the fun would begin. I was ecstatic that I made it past the second, because it meant the judges on the first *did* make the seemingly right decision by letting me through. Since I made the second with Nigel and Ken, I was pretty confident that I would make it to Hollywood. I also had a good instinct, which I assumed to be because I was going to make it to Hollywood. I still DO have the good instinct, but I??m not sure at this point why or what it means. I feel awfully stupid sharing my insight on this with the camera, because I just totally contradicted myself, making my instincts sound full of it.

I will be making appearances at future auditions for comical purposes. This is just the beginning. I fully intend on becoming famous, even if not in the way I thought. Mary Guilbeaux will be BACK!<<<

I thought it was kind of interesting, that out of everyone someone who got so much airtime was posting on a site! :lol:

Back