America Online (AOL) memories + I NEED HELP

warblower99

Chop those gravy bars
Okay, so even though I never used the classic AOL clients when they were still half-functional, I still wanna hear people's old stories about the service. So go ahead and post!

Plus, I need some help.

I heard that AOL versions 2.5 - 6.0 were discontinued around 2015 or 2016. It gave me the idea that versions 7.0, 8.0, and 9.0 would still work. So, I downloaded and installed AOL 8.0 Plus, and it seemed to be working fine during installation and setup. I tried establishing a connection via TCP/IP (because I had connected via that on AOL Desktop 9.7 a few years ago and I had seen LGR on YouTube sign on to AOL 4.0, a version from the late 90s, via TCP/IP too) but I get an error EVERY TIME. This also happened on version 7.0. (If anyone is wondering, I could not install version 9.0 correctly.) If anyone on this forum knows what to do, or if you know a more suitable place for this post, please reply!

Here's the error:
AOL 8.0.PNG

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I'm thinking you're gonna have to seek out help from some different forums on the internet. We're not a tech site by any stretch of the imagination, and I doubt anyone here below the age of 30 has ever used AOL.

I don't quite know why you'd want to, either.

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
I'm thinking you're gonna have to seek out help from some different forums on the internet. We're not a tech site by any stretch of the imagination, and I doubt anyone here below the age of 30 has ever used AOL.

I used AOL once...back in 2004. :D

Yeah, two words for the OP. Dis. Cord. No one here is interested in AOL, sorry.

Chris

Floridian

I'm 28 and AOL was my first ISP back when I still shared a computer with my family.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Use AIM from 1999-whenever it closed.

I remember going into different chat rooms and co-creating one of the most popular chat rooms it had (okee dokee) for several years. Made great friends while chatting with everyone. It was a care-free environment where there were no creepers. We roleplayed, did a LOT of RPG back then which was great to have.

Back