Disney The Ultimate Amphibia Thread (review, ranking, and analysis)

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Anne or beast?

This is a fantastic first episode to such an amazing show. It has a lot of foreshadowing that you wouldn't expect from a first episode. The series is funny, heartwarming, and fun. everything in this episode is done ultimately better in future episodes tho

first episode review score: 8/10

Best Fronds

there is so much character stuff in this episode, like the subtle hints that Anne has a toxic friendship with her friends back at earth, it's just so good!. this episode also starts a trope that will be repeated in a bunch of episodes after this, hop pop telling them not to do something, but they do it anyways

overall thoughts: it's good, like really good

episode score: 9.2/10

Cane crazy

this episode is kinda boring, it has its moments like all the hop pop scenes are perfect, but the episode kinda drags on but it also has a lot of character development for Anne. hop pop is probably the best character in the show

overall thoughts: it's ok

episode score: 6/10

Flood Sweat And Tears

it's really fun, it's so weird to go back to season 1, where everything was so upbeat and happy. this is another character driven episode, it uses the dynamic between Anne and Sprig really well, most of the jokes hit and they're really funny

overall thoughts: i loved it!

episode review: 9/10

Hop luck

once again hop pop proves why he's the best character. this episode is so funny, I find myself quoting it every now and then, from the pineapple pizza joke, to the ending joke, this episode may be my favorite from season 1. this episode also has alot of character development for Anne, she has to learn that not everything will go the way she thinks

overall thoughts: sooooooo good!

episode review: 10/10

Stakeout

2 perfect episodes in a row. this episode has the least subtle character development, anne learns to act less selfish the nightmare scenes are really good

overall thoughts: perfect

episode score: 9/10

The Domino Effect

it's really funny, and enjoyable. we get a bunch of more info on Anne's life back on earth, the episode is about her finding a wild animal that looks like her cat back home. it's really good, I enjoyed it alot

overall thoughts: good

episode score: 7/10

i still think it's better than the pilot, because it feels like they've mastered their craft

Taking Charge

it's sooo good. Anne and the planters obsessing over suspicion island is so funny to me, and the reveal at the end is so good. had alot of great jokes, alot of great character interactions, and a great story

overall thoughts: I loved it

episode score: 9.8/10

Anne Theft Auto

it's great! i love hop pop's line ''I don't feel safe'' it became such a huge meme in the amphibia fandom, i see it being used to this day. the episode itself is really fun, i see why it could seem boring to someone, but i found the plot to be really funny, fun and enjoyable

overall thoughts: amazing episode

episode score: 8/10

Break out Star

probably the worst episode in the whole series, i just find it very gross. most people enjoy it, but it's a really bad one. in my opinion

overall thoughts: it's meh

episode score: 5/10

Sprig Vs Hop Pop

this was the first episode i watched, and it's great, it has a bunch of great moments like anne sprig and polly trying to keep the farm running while hop pop is gone, or the line ''HOPADIAH PLANTAR WAS A TYRANT'' it has plenty of great character moments

overall thoughts: really good

Girl Time

i love the character development Anne has here, it goes back to her having a toxic friendship with her friends back on earth, and her having to learn that not all people are like her friends back on earth, and that maybe they weren't good friends to begin with

overall thoughts: great character episode

Dating Season

while I wasn't a big fan of this episode i can still say that it had alot of great character development for all the secondary characters, especially sprig

overall thoughts: i thought it was good

Anne Vs. Wild

I forgot this episode even existed, i had to rewatch it just to remember anything that happened in it, it's honestly quite forgettable, Anne and hop pop carry the whole episode. there are stuff i do enjoy about this episode, like the setting change, it's nice to see them in a place that is not wartwood

overall thoughts: it's good

Contagi-Anne

it's a great episode. My favorite moment in the whole episode is the ''how to die alone'' joke, it's a quick and you'll miss it joke, that i don't think most people noticed. it's a great emotional/hilarious episode

overall thoughts: i loved it

episode score: 10/10

Family Shrub

i love this episode for the hop pop scenes, they're really funny. the episode is decent i liked it, once again the character interactions are great, they act and develop like real people

overall thoughts: great episode

Lily Pad Thai

the Thai representation in this episode is nice, and the concept of Anne making a Thai restaurant sounds really fun, and it's done super well in this episode

overall thoughts: loved it

Planter's Last Stand

pretty forgettable episode, probably cause the episode after it introduces one of the best characters in the show. the episode had alot of hop pop moments, but he acted strangely out of character

overall thoughts: it's good, just good

Toad Tax

this episode shows how much Anne has changed since her first appearance. i adore this episode, i love how Anne stands up for the people of wartwood, and her found family

Prison Break

this episode introduces Sasha, one of Anne's best friends, Sasha is manipulative, toxic and loves to control others into doing things they don't want to. she even got Anne to steal the magical box that got them to amphibia in the first place, soo she's a pretty bad person. the episode is really good, it shows off Sasha's character and makes you love to hate her character

Grubhog Day

really good, has a bunch of good gag and fun

Hop Pop and Lock

Hop Pop and Lock is a little more low-key, but a nice little story centered on Hop Pop, his old crush, and his rival. It’s nice to see Anne all cleaned up again.

overall thoughts: great

Civil Wart

this was a great exploration and building of the sibling relationship of Sprig and Polly. I can see why Sprig might be annoyed at having to look out for Polly but in the end he does realise that he does want to protect his little sister. Which was very heart warming and cute.

overall thoughts: pretty funny

Hop-Popular

another hop pop centric episode, so obviously it's amazing

overall thoughts: great hop pop ep

Croak and Punishment

This episode is very hated within the fandom, but The "she stole my heart" scene is still one of the funniest moments in the show, so it's alright to me.

overall thoughts: pretty mediocre

episode score: 2/10

Trip to the Archives

Is it wrong that I genuinely felt sorry for the archives? Like, the place is basically destroyed now, all because one kid was bored.

overall thoughts: pretty funny

Snow Day

Snow day was pretty fun. Some world building here and there, and I love that Anne found a solution to let the monster feed her omelets to her baby. Although she kinda deserve some punishment for using the frogs as playthings. As responsible as she is, she’s still got a lot to learn.

overall thoughts: more Anne development

episode score: 7.8/10

Cracking Mrs. Croaker

Crackling Mrs. Croaker was meh. I do like that we got some background on Grandma Croaker and how there’s so much more about her that we didn’t know about. But the whole Sprig wanting her to like him did kinda go overboard. I kinda thought Sprig didn’t have the best reputation since Hop Pop kinda summarize his fails in the 1st episode, but I guess he’s loveable in his town. Also, having Anne telling her stories with a person that didn’t like her back is pretty nice for consistency on her clingy side on wanting a friendship lol.

overall thoughts: it was ok, but it has more Anne development

episode score: 4/10

A Night At The Inn

the second Polly centric episode, am surprised she doesn't have more. the episode i great, i love the character moments in this episode, this episode has a bunch of great character moments/interactions, i forgot how much character development season 1 had

overall thoughts: great character moments

Wally And Anne

this is episode shows how similar Anne is to wally. wally is the weirdo, the person everyone avoids, and Anne thinks the same she thinks he's just a weirdo living in the woods, but throughout this episode, they bond and realize they're very similar to each other

overall thoughts: amazing character driven episode]

Family Fishing Trip

I really dislike this episode, and I don't dislike any amphibia episodes, i just find it boring, it feels like early season 1 when they where still experimenting with the characters. the only good thing about this episode is the flashback showing sprig when he was a pollywog

overall thoughts: meh

episode score: 3/10

Bizarre Bazaar

it was funny, it had a very star wars-y feel to it, i dont know if that's just me. the best joke is probably the tongue him joke. i really enjoyed it though

overall thoughts: great episode, i love the setting change

episode score: 8.5/10

Cursed!

it's great. My only beef with this is that Barry felt forced. I didn't really care that he was in here. I would have much preferred to explore the awkwardness of Sprig and Maddie, some attempts to approach Maddie, an exaggeration of things going wrong scenario, then the actual payoff of what Maddie is. I dunno. Maybe I simply wanted more

overall thoughts: i thought it'd be weird, but it's great

Fiddle Me This

This episode is Also very fun. I dig the music. Sprig cranking down on the violin (or voila?). Basically Hop Pop was concerned for the future of his grandkids and a talent show gets him off to securing Sprigs future. Unfortunately he went overboard and didn't consider Sprig's feelings on the matter. He apologies and they reconcile. Pretty standard stuff but I appreciate Hop Pop's intentions and how Sprig handled situation. I wouldn't be able to pull that off. But it's clear these two are close since the fishing episode emphasized it.

overall thoughts: heartwarming story

The Big Bugball Game

T.B.D

Combat Camp

T.B.D

Children of the spore

hop pop's actions never come off as mean or stupid, cause you know he had good intentions, that all he wanted was for them to respect him more, and show a little respect towards the G.O.A.T. this episode is also the first Halloween special, and unlike other shows, this one is canon to the show

Anne of the year

a great episode that builds the relationship between Anne, the planters, and the citizens of wartwood. it also reunites Anne and Sasha, it's the episode before the season finale, and it's great

overall thoughts: perfect character driven episode

Reunion

I'll try not to give away any spoilers for the episode. this is an amazing season finale, it's filled with everything you'd want from a season finale, and what's funny is this finale doesn't even come close to the finales of the next 2 seasons. this finale kinda breaks you, up until now you've only seen these characters be dumb, fun and just stupid, so this is a great break of that mould. it's more of an experience than it is a cartoon episode

overall thoughts: perfect season finale

Handy Anne

this is the first episode of season 2. this episode is great, i really enjoy it. I love how this episode is a reverse season 1 with Anne being the one to protect the planters, like how they protected her in the first season, and this episode has one of my favorite lines in the whole show ''everything i worked so hard to protect'' it's delivered so well. this episode has a big status quo change, with Anne and the planters going to find Marcy

overall thoughts: perfect start to a perfect season

episode score:

Fort in The Road

this episode has alot of foreshadowing for future episodes, and messages that if you decode, you begin to feel uneasy, like this place isn't what it seems. it's a great episode, so far season 2 is a big step up from an already great season

The Ballad of Hopediah Plantar

hop pop continues to show why he's the best character in the entire show. i loved this episode i thought it was funny, and really fun. i love how stupid it is

overall thoughts: liked it

Anne Hunter

Anne was enjoyable Hallucination Sprig was really funny and great and I wish they had bought him back The real Sprig was pretty funny here too. The setting and atmosphere in this episode is amazing and what makes this episode for me The dance part by Anne was fun to watch A lot of funny moments in this one. The ending was great.

overall thoughts: it was really funny

Truck Stop Polly

this episode follows that trope of a character listening in on a conversation out of context, and getting mad and leaving, I've seen it in like every show. the episode is really good it makes you feel bad for Polly, and i love how it shows their connection. Dang it, only 5 episodes in and they're already making me feel things. That's a great sign usually, as for most shows that tends to grow exponentially as the season goes on. and this show isn't an exception

overall thoughts: emotional

A Caravan Named Desire

A Caravan Named Desire had some hilarious moments, and I especially liked Anne's subplot. I actually kinda like it when a character technically has no role in the plot yet is somehow still involved the whole time; she even contributed to the ending, making Hop Pop appear even more shady to the officer lol.

overall thoughts: it's so funny, i loved all the jokes

Quarreler's Pass

is the more inconsequential of the two episodes the episode after being a plot heavy episode, but it's still enjoyable in its own right, despite being fated to fly under the radar.

overall thought: it's nice

episode score: 7.5/10

ToadCatcher

This is by far my favorite season 2A episode. Sasha and Grime have a great dynamic, and I love watching them interact. Since season 1, they‘ve really developed a close bond, and have begun viewing each other as mutual friends. This is really important for Sasha’s character arc, because for the first time in her life, she has a friendship based not on control, but on mutual trust and respect. But their friendship isn’t prefect, Grime also encourages Sasha’s worst traits. After their loss at Toad Tower, they start scheming to grab more control for themselves. Though Sasha‘s close friendship with Grime is good in many ways, it also proves to be detrimental to her friendship with Anne and Marcy. Speaking of which, I really like seeing Sasha’s perspective of the aftermath of Reunion.

overall thoughts: i think it's better than Reunion

Swamp and Sensibility

i think this episode gets overshadowed by it's sister episode ''wax museum'' which is a gravity falls crossover, people always overlook this episode, it's nothing special, but it's pretty darn funny

overall thoughts: alot of great jokes

Wax Museum

This episode exceeded my expectations by a long shot. It’s something of a miracle that the show’s crew managed to stay true to that good old Gravity Falls spirit without feeling like a direct copy of that show, which proves how much of a labor of love it is. It had some of the funniest and perhaps the most disturbing moments of this show’s entire run, which may or may not be due to Alex Hirsch’s amazing line deliveries.

overall thoughts: it's a great crossover, and a great episode in general

Marcy At The Gates

wow, where do i begin. this episode is one of my favorite episodes of any tv show, it introduces Marcy one of the of the main trio, she's so upbeat and random, that you cant help but love her character. i wont spoil it here, but the season finale does some pretty cool stuff with her character. this episode was fun, funny and sooooooo good. season 2 is probably my favorite season yet, it just keeps topping itself

overall thoughts: perfect episode with amazing character interactions

Scavenger Hunt

I love the arc Anne is given in this episode. She feels like she has no purpose now that Marcy is here, because back at Wartwood she was the only human, but now that Marcy is here, all the planters follow her and trust her. Anne feels left out. She feels like she's useless, but at the end, Marcy reassures her, and they hug it out.

overall thoughts: the mini arc for Anne was the best part

The Planters Check In

It's fine, nothing special, but it did introduce Andrias, one of the most important characters in the plot of Amphibia. I guess it's kind of heartwarming, but I just found it boring

overall thoughts: it's fine

episode score: 5-6/10

Lost In Newtopia

it was consistently hilarious and a perfect ode to both the unpredictability and monotony of city tours, not to mention it serves as a great reminder that Anne and Polly can carry an episode on their own. I can definitely see why it’s one of Matt’s favorites—wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if it was loosely based on his own travels in Thailand.

Sprig Gets Schooled

Watching the main plot of “Sprig Gets Schooled” go from “rambunctious kid struggling to fit in with higher academia to “high-stakes prison breakout” was absolutely brilliant. I would NOT have expected something like that judging by the episode description alone. The writers on this show are amazing.

overall thoughts: am running out of ways to say the episode is perfect

Little Frogtown

it's squid noir but with hop pop, and yes i know other shows do the whole noir detective trope, i do think they use it really well here and it makes for alot of clever jokes. the joke of Anne threatening to eat those kids tho, now that was funny

overall thoughts: one of my favorites

Hopping mall

this episode has a lot of great moments, but It's the disarming ending, that cements "Hopping Mall" as a meaningful outing for the show. Sprig wakes up late at night to discover Anne standing on the hotel room balcony, fiddling with the butterfly brooch. Their ensuing dialogue regarding their relationships to their mothers is, perhaps, one of the most delicately sweet, heart-wrenching things that Amphibia has ever done

overall thoughts: heart wrenching

score: 9/10

The Sleepover to End All Sleepovers

Another Marcy episode, so of course it's going to be one of my favorites. this episode is really fun, but I find it annoying how Marcy wont shut up about Sasha, like she's ''Sasha that'' ''Sasha this'' It's so annoying, but it's a great episode.

A Day at the Aquarium

This episode is so emotional. The end of the episode is so good! This show is so brilliant. It's an amazing episode with amazing character moments and great writing.

overall thoughts: i adore it

Night Drivers

Man, this show does dark material so well. Anne and Hop Pop's dreams were interesting to see and some more Sprig and Polly bonding teamwork. And nice little detail of Frobo's arms in the fog trying to reach the Fwagon. Really liked the twist at the end.

over all thoughts: it was good

Return to wartwood

Return to Wartwood was great in all the call-backs and giving all the townsfolk a moment to shine. It's nice that the townsfolk have actually grown to think highly of the Plantars, even if just missing their chaos was a part of it. Ivy reuniting with Sprig was cute, and I chuckled at the Plantar's house being covered in tulips now. Especially liked seeing Maddie again, and the fact that the family just casually initiated a dark Old Ones ritual because she's lending Sprig Lovecraftian grimoires for fun.

overall thoughts: hilarious

The Shut In!

I laughed a lot and Seeing Ivy was really fun even if it’s not canon. Liked the anthology format felt like a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror. Overall I really liked it

overall thoughts: better than treehouse of horror, FIGHT ME!

Ivy on the Run

This episode was really fun and did a great job at making Ivy and her mother more interesting characters. At the end of the day, it's a really fun character development episode.

After the Rain

- I actually enjoyed this episode. But I can also understand why many may have been disappointed since this episode was very hyped up. For me, it still hit the emotional notes very well and provided a solid story.

overall thoughts: really liked it, kinda underwhelming tho

The First Temple

GREAT episode, a big adventure, i love how the after the rain drama is not complete solved and Anne still has issues with Hop pop, i like the how they portrayed that, i feel like the entire temple was more of a challenge of wisdom than intelligence.

overall thoughts: amazing episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Wartwood

A nice Marcy-centered episode where she and Toadstool basically turn Wartwood into Disney World and Marcy gathers some nice character development.

overall thoughts: loved the Marcy development

Friend or Frobo?

when i saw the title i was like isn't this friend or foe from SpongeBob. Definitely got some 'Iron Giant' vibes. Nice character development for Polly. I still enjoyed the episode but the ending was too similar to 'New Wartwood' imo. Also, this episode kinda introduces a plot hole; if Frobo had rockets and a form-into-a ball-and-roll-fast ability, why didn't he just use those instead of walking for many miles?

overall thoughts: good, but all the episodes are good, there isn't an episode i dislike

Toad to Redemption

surprised me in the best way possible by being what is essentially a follow-up to “Toad Tax” while also being a solid character study of That Affably Jerky Mayor Toadstool™. Not to mention Toady was easily the precious he’s been in the entire show, and that’s saying a lot since he was already a good lil’ froggy to begin with.

Maddie & Marcy

while “Maddie and Marcy” may have had a liiiitle too many occult references for my own innocent tastes, I still really liked it. It was great seeing the titular duo get along together, and Maddie’s sisters were absolutely sweet and rambunctious in every frame. Extra bonus for Marcy trying to imitate Maddie’s emo haircut throughout nearly the entire episode.

overall thought: one of the great marcy episodes before the...............................................the episode

The Second Temple

Second Temple was a tad predictable with it's Valentina set-up, I was waiting for the shoe to drop over everything being a test. I think it's a strong episode for Anne as a character. Valentina is a good choice to have back as a returning character since we never got to know her before

Barrel's Warhammer

Barrel's Warhammer continues a unbreakable strong streak for Sasha getting the more interesting and frankly more engaging episodes. They reserve her a lot but it's clearly for a good reason because they hit it out of the park every single time. I always felt like Percy and Braddock were the weakest links in these episodes, but this episode showed that they had a purpose in retaining some of Sasha's humanity. Their departure stung in a way I wasn't expecting- just great writing there.

overall thoughts: guess what, i loved it

Bessie & MicroAngelo

i love Anne finally accepting who she is, this episode has so much character development, it's so good, althought she never wears the armor in the next season

overall thoughts: kinda filler, but that ending

episode score:8/10

The Third Temple

Sasha continues to really hit her mark even in a very busy episode like this- and maybe this should have had extended run time- but for what it's worth I thought this episode was excellent. I think it does a solid enough job with the run time it has to set up Sasha's micro-redemption- and then pull the rug under you to reveal it's not actually that easy. Sasha is a master manipulator and she's known these girls for years, so it makes sense for them to kind of have a quick turn around on her- especially for Marcy who really has no reason to mistrust her.

overall thoughts: loved it alot!

The Dinner

The Dinner was super fun. Grime acting like a father to Sasha in getting her to behave was adorable and I like how Hop Pop was giving out bad dad jokes with Anne getting horrified. And we get to see how great the girls work as a team which will be useful for when they have to fight against Andrias’ creature eventually.

overall thoughts: OMG IT'S SO GOOD!

Battle of the Bands

The townspeople seemed surprisingly chill about Sasha and Grime’s presence. It was great to see Anne feeling brave enough to start standing up to Sasha and their songs were really good. Toadie was a really good voice of reason for Sasha and while I thought he seemed focused on his performance with Sasha, it was nice seeing him letting Toadstool know their performance was no longer happening, as he understood her desire to perform with Anne and Marcy, and was perfectly fine with not performing himself. The ending shot of everyone is great and a really upbeat note to end on before the betrayal and heartbreak next episode.

overall thoughts: one of my favorites!

episode score: 10/100000

True Colors

Best episode in the entire series , Period . I loved how we get to know that Marcy did it intentionally cuz she didn't wanted to be alone and wanted to be with her friends , this gave me the same vibe as in the last second episode of Gravity falls when Mabel says "i don't want summer to end". Marcy's truth felt like she was trying to convince herself that what she did was right

overall thoughts: do i really need to tell you what i thought of this episode

episode score: 10/10!!!

Last edited:

PinkPugPrincess

Baby Patrick Star
Staff
Anne or beast?

This is a fantastic first episode to such an amazing show. It has a lot of foreshadowing that you wouldn't expect from a first episode. The series is funny, heartwarming, and fun. everything in this episode is done ultimately better in future episodes tho

first episode review score: 8/10

Best Fronds

there is so much character stuff in this episode, like the subtle hints that Anne has a toxic friendship with her friends back at earth, it's just so good!. this episode also starts a trope that will be repeated in a bunch of episodes after this, hop pop telling them not to do something, but they do it anyways

overall thoughts: it's good, like really good

episode score: 9.2/10

Cane crazy

this episode is kinda boring, it has its moments like all the hop pop scenes are perfect, but the episode kinda drags on but it also has a lot of character development for Anne. hop pop is probably the best character in the show

overall thoughts: it's ok

Flood Sweat And Tears

it's really fun, it's so weird to go back to season 1, where everything was so upbeat and happy. this is another character driven episode, it uses the dynamic between Anne and Sprig really well, most of the jokes hit and they're really funny

overall thoughts: i loved it!

episode review: 9/10

Hop luck

once again hop pop proves why he's the best character. this episode is so funny, I find myself quoting it every now and then, from the pineapple pizza joke, to the ending joke, this episode may be my favorite from season 1. this episode also has alot of character development for Anne, she has to learn that not everything will go the way she thinks

overall thoughts: sooooooo good!

episode review: 10/10

Stakeout

2 perfect episodes in a row. this episode has the least subtle character development, anne learns to act less selfish the nightmare scenes are really good

overall thoughts: perfect

The Domino Effect

it's really funny, and enjoyable. we get a bunch of more info on Anne's life back on earth, the episode is about her finding a wild animal that looks like her cat back home. it's really good, I enjoyed it alot

overall thoughts: good

i still think it's better than the pilot, because it feels like they've mastered their craft

Taking Charge

it's sooo good. Anne and the planters obsessing over suspicion island is so funny to me, and the reveal at the end is so good. had alot of great jokes, alot of great character interactions, and a great story

overall thoughts: I loved it

Anne Theft Auto

it's great! i love hop pop's line ''I don't feel safe'' it became such a huge meme in the amphibia fandom, i see it being used to this day. the episode itself is really fun, i see why it could seem boring to someone, but i found the plot to be really funny, fun and enjoyable

Break out Star

probably the worst episode in the whole series, i just find it very gross. most people enjoy it, but it's a really bad one. in my opinion

overall thoughts: it's meh

episode score: 5/10

Sprig Vs Hop Pop

this was the first episode i watched, and it's great, it has a bunch of great moments like anne sprig and polly trying to keep the farm running while hop pop is gone, or the line ''HOPADIAH PLANTAR WAS A TYRANT'' it has plenty of great character moments

overall thoughts: really good

Girl Time

i love the character development Anne has here, it goes back to her having a toxic friendship with her friends back on earth, and her having to learn that not all people are like her friends back on earth, and that maybe they weren't good friends to begin with

overall thoughts: great character episode

Dating Season

while I wasn't a big fan of this episode i can still say that it had alot of great character development for all the secondary characters, especially sprig

overall thoughts: i thought it was good

Anne Vs. Wild

I forgot this episode even existed, i had to rewatch it just to remember anything that happened in it, it's honestly quite forgettable, Anne and hop pop carry the whole episode. there are stuff i do enjoy about this episode, like the setting change, it's nice to see them in a place that is not wartwood

overall thoughts: it's good

Contagi-Anne

it's a great episode. My favorite moment in the whole episode is the ''how to die alone'' joke, it's a quick and you'll miss it joke, that i don't think most people noticed. it's a great emotional/hilarious episode

overall thoughts: i loved it

Family Shrub

i love this episode for the hop pop scenes, they're really funny. the episode is decent i liked it, once again the character interactions are great, they act and develop like real people

Lily Pad Thai

the Thai representation in this episode is nice, and the concept of Anne making a Thai restaurant sounds really fun, and it's done super well in this episode

Planter's Last Stand

pretty forgettable episode, probably cause the episode after it introduces one of the best characters in the show. the episode had alot of hop pop moments, but he acted strangely out of character

overall thoughts: it's good, just good

Toad Tax

this episode shows how much Anne has changed since her first appearance. i adore this episode, i love how Anne stands up for the people of wartwood, and her found family

Prison Break

this episode introduces Sasha, one of Anne's best friends, Sasha is manipulative, toxic and loves to control others into doing things they don't want to. she even got Anne to steal the magical box that got them to amphibia in the first place, soo she's a pretty bad person. the episode is really good, it shows off Sasha's character and makes you love to hate her character

A Night At The Inn

the second Polly centric episode, am surprised she doesn't have more. the episode i great, i love the character moments in this episode, this episode has a bunch of great character moments/interactions, i forgot how much character development season 1 had

overall thoughts: great character moments

Wally And Anne

this is episode shows how similar Anne is to wally. wally is the weirdo, the person everyone avoids, and Anne thinks the same she thinks he's just a weirdo living in the woods, but throughout this episode, they bond and realize they're very similar to each other

overall thoughts: amazing character driven episode]

Family Fishing Trip

I really dislike this episode, and I don't dislike any amphibia episodes, i just find it boring, it feels like early season 1 when they where still experimenting with the characters. the only good thing about this episode is the flashback showing sprig when he was a pollywog

overall thoughts: meh

episode score: 3/10

Bizarre Bazaar

it was funny, it had a very star wars-y feel to it, i dont know if that's just me. the best joke is probably the tongue him joke. i really enjoyed it though

overall thoughts: great episode, i love the setting change

episode score: 8.5/10

Cursed!

it's great. My only beef with this is that Barry felt forced. I didn't really care that he was in here. I would have much preferred to explore the awkwardness of Sprig and Maddie, some attempts to approach Maddie, an exaggeration of things going wrong scenario, then the actual payoff of what Maddie is. I dunno. Maybe I simply wanted more

overall thoughts: i thought it'd be weird, but it's great

Fiddle Me This

This episode is Also very fun. I dig the music. Sprig cranking down on the violin (or voila?). Basically Hop Pop was concerned for the future of his grandkids and a talent show gets him off to securing Sprigs future. Unfortunately he went overboard and didn't consider Sprig's feelings on the matter. He apologies and they reconcile. Pretty standard stuff but I appreciate Hop Pop's intentions and how Sprig handled situation. I wouldn't be able to pull that off. But it's clear these two are close since the fishing episode emphasized it.

overall thoughts: heartwarming story

Children of the spore

hop pop's actions never come off as mean or stupid, cause you know he had good intentions, that all he wanted was for them to respect him more, and show a little respect towards the G.O.A.T. this episode is also the first Halloween special, and unlike other shows, this one is canon to the show

Anne of the year

a great episode that builds the relationship between Anne, the planters, and the citizens of wartwood. it also reunites Anne and Sasha, it's the episode before the season finale, and it's great

overall thoughts: perfect character driven episode

Reunion

I'll try not to give away any spoilers for the episode. this is an amazing season finale, it's filled with everything you'd want from a season finale, and what's funny is this finale doesn't even come close to the finales of the next 2 seasons. this finale kinda breaks you, up until now you've only seen these characters be dumb, fun and just stupid, so this is a great break of that mould. it's more of an experience than it is a cartoon episode

overall thoughts: perfect season finale

Handy Anne

this is the first episode of season 2. this episode is great, i really enjoy it. I love how this episode is a reverse season 1 with Anne being the one to protect the planters, like how they protected her in the first season, and this episode has one of my favorite lines in the whole show ''everything i worked so hard to protect'' it's delivered so well. this episode has a big status quo change, with Anne and the planters going to find Marcy

overall thoughts: perfect start to a perfect season

episode score:

Fort in The Road

this episode has alot of foreshadowing for future episodes, and messages that if you decode, you begin to feel uneasy, like this place isn't what it seems. it's a great episode, so far season 2 is a big step up from an already great season

The Ballad of Hopediah Plantar

hop pop continues to show why he's the best character in the entire show. i loved this episode i thought it was funny, and really fun. i love how stupid it is

Anne Hunter

Anne was enjoyable Hallucination Sprig was really funny and great and I wish they had bought him back The real Sprig was pretty funny here too. The setting and atmosphere in this episode is amazing and what makes this episode for me The dance part by Anne was fun to watch A lot of funny moments in this one. The ending was great.

overall thoughts: it was really funny

Truck Stop Polly

this episode follows that trope of a character listening in on a conversation out of context, and getting mad and leaving, I've seen it in like every show. the episode is really good it makes you feel bad for Polly, and i love how it shows their connection. Dang it, only 5 episodes in and they're already making me feel things. That's a great sign usually, as for most shows that tends to grow exponentially as the season goes on. and this show isn't an exception

overall thoughts: emotional

A Caravan Named Desire

A Caravan Named Desire had some hilarious moments, and I especially liked Anne's subplot. I actually kinda like it when a character technically has no role in the plot yet is somehow still involved the whole time; she even contributed to the ending, making Hop Pop appear even more shady to the officer lol.

overall thoughts: it's so funny, i loved all the jokes

Quarreler's Pass

is the more inconsequential of the two episodes the episode after being a plot heavy episode, but it's still enjoyable in its own right, despite being fated to fly under the radar.

overall thought: it's nice

episode score: 7.5/10

ToadCatcher

This is by far my favorite season 2A episode. Sasha and Grime have a great dynamic, and I love watching them interact. Since season 1, they‘ve really developed a close bond, and have begun viewing each other as mutual friends. This is really important for Sasha’s character arc, because for the first time in her life, she has a friendship based not on control, but on mutual trust and respect. But their friendship isn’t prefect, Grime also encourages Sasha’s worst traits. After their loss at Toad Tower, they start scheming to grab more control for themselves. Though Sasha‘s close friendship with Grime is good in many ways, it also proves to be detrimental to her friendship with Anne and Marcy. Speaking of which, I really like seeing Sasha’s perspective of the aftermath of Reunion.

overall thoughts: i think it's better than Reunion

Swamp and Sensibility

i think this episode gets overshadowed by it's sister episode ''wax museum'' which is a gravity falls crossover, people always overlook this episode, it's nothing special, but it's pretty darn funny

overall thoughts: alot of great jokes

Wax Museum

This episode exceeded my expectations by a long shot. It’s something of a miracle that the show’s crew managed to stay true to that good old Gravity Falls spirit without feeling like a direct copy of that show, which proves how much of a labor of love it is. It had some of the funniest and perhaps the most disturbing moments of this show’s entire run, which may or may not be due to Alex Hirsch’s amazing line deliveries.

overall thoughts: it's a great crossover, and a great episode in general

Marcy At The Gates

wow, where do i begin. this episode is one of my favorite episodes of any tv show, it introduces Marcy one of the of the main trio, she's so upbeat and random, that you cant help but love her character. i wont spoil it here, but the season finale does some pretty cool stuff with her character. this episode was fun, funny and sooooooo good. season 2 is probably my favorite season yet, it just keeps topping itself

overall thoughts: perfect episode with amazing character interactions

Scavenger Hunt

I love the arc Anne is given in this episode. She feels like she has no purpose now that Marcy is here, because back at Wartwood she was the only human, but now that Marcy is here, all the planters follow her and trust her. Anne feels left out. She feels like she's useless, but at the end, Marcy reassures her, and they hug it out.

overall thoughts: the mini arc for Anne was the best part

The Planters Check In

It's fine, nothing special, but it did introduce Andrias, one of the most important characters in the plot of Amphibia. I guess it's kind of heartwarming, but I just found it boring

overall thoughts: it's fine

episode score: 5-6/10

Lost In Newtopia

it was consistently hilarious and a perfect ode to both the unpredictability and monotony of city tours, not to mention it serves as a great reminder that Anne and Polly can carry an episode on their own. I can definitely see why it’s one of Matt’s favorites—wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if it was loosely based on his own travels in Thailand.

Sprig Gets Schooled

Watching the main plot of “Sprig Gets Schooled” go from “rambunctious kid struggling to fit in with higher academia to “high-stakes prison breakout” was absolutely brilliant. I would NOT have expected something like that judging by the episode description alone. The writers on this show are amazing.

overall thoughts: am running out of ways to say the episode is perfect

Little Frogtown

it's squid noir but with hop pop, and yes i know other shows do the whole noir detective trope, i do think they use it really well here and it makes for alot of clever jokes. the joke of Anne threatening to eat those kids tho, now that was funny

overall thoughts: one of my favorites

Hopping mall

this episode has a lot of great moments, but It's the disarming ending, that cements "Hopping Mall" as a meaningful outing for the show. Sprig wakes up late at night to discover Anne standing on the hotel room balcony, fiddling with the butterfly brooch. Their ensuing dialogue regarding their relationships to their mothers is, perhaps, one of the most delicately sweet, heart-wrenching things that Amphibia has ever done

overall thoughts: heart wrenching

score: 9/10

The Sleepover to End All Sleepovers

Another Marcy episode, so of course it's going to be one of my favorites. this episode is really fun, but I find it annoying how Marcy wont shut up about Sasha, like she's ''Sasha that'' ''Sasha this'' It's so annoying, but it's a great episode.

A Day at the Aquarium

This episode is so emotional. The end of the episode is so good! This show is so brilliant. It's an amazing episode with amazing character moments and great writing.

overall thoughts: i adore it

Night Drivers

Man, this show does dark material so well. Anne and Hop Pop's dreams were interesting to see and some more Sprig and Polly bonding teamwork. And nice little detail of Frobo's arms in the fog trying to reach the Fwagon. Really liked the twist at the end.

over all thoughts: it was good

Return to wartwood

Return to Wartwood was great in all the call-backs and giving all the townsfolk a moment to shine. It's nice that the townsfolk have actually grown to think highly of the Plantars, even if just missing their chaos was a part of it. Ivy reuniting with Sprig was cute, and I chuckled at the Plantar's house being covered in tulips now. Especially liked seeing Maddie again, and the fact that the family just casually initiated a dark Old Ones ritual because she's lending Sprig Lovecraftian grimoires for fun.

overall thoughts: hilarious

This review is great so far! I can't wait to see more!

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Snoozers

break out star

Mother of Olms

cracking Mrs. croaker

Contagi-Anne

Average

Girl time

Family fishing trip

Toad to Redemption

News in tights

Grubhog Day

Sprig vs. hop pop

Hop pop and lock

The big Bugball game

Little Frogtown

Anne Theft Auto

Children of the spore

The ballad of Hopediah plantar

The Domino effect

Croak and Punishment

Hop luck (cause of the ending)

DECENT

Cane crazy

Taking Charge

Adventures in cat sitting

Civil Wart

Trip to the archives

Truck Stop Polly

Quarrelers pass

Anne Hunter

Olm Town Road

A night at the inn

Hop-popular

Mr. x

Fight Or Flight

Plantars last stand (hop pop becomes Bob Chapek)

Holly wood Hop pop

The shut in!

Friend of frobo

Thai feud

After the rain

Spider-Sprig

GOOD

Bessie and Microangelo

Lily pad Thai

A Caravan Named Desire

Anne Vs. Wild

Snow Day

Sprig Gets schooled

The Plantars check in

Fight At The Museum

Night Drivers

Family Shrub

Hop 'til you drop

Sasha's angels

The root of evil

If you give a frog a cookie

Fixing Frobo

Bizarre Bazaar

Flood, Sweat and tears

Turning Point

Swamp And Sensibility

Cursed

Lost In Newtopia

Dating season

The New Normal

Combat Camp

Grime's pupil

GREAT

Ivy on the run

The three armies

Commander Anne

Anne-sterminator

Fort in The road

Handy Anne!

New Wartwood

Sprivey

A day at the aquarium

Return to wartwood

Anne or beast

Best Fronds

Froggy little Christmas

Stakeout

Wax museum

Maddie and Marcy

Temple Frogs

Scavenger Hunt

Sprig's Birthday

Escape to Amphibia

ToadCatcher

Amazing

The core and the king

The sleepover to end all sleepovers

The beginning of the end (that flashback tho)

The second temple

The first temple

The Third Temple

Fiddle me this

Anne of The Year

Barrel's Warhammer (it's this high cause it has Sasha character development)

Toad Tax

Olivia and Yunan (woah, that ending is just...….how was this allowed on Disney channel)

TOP 10

The Dinner

Wally and Anne

Prison break

Reunion (woah)

Battle Of The Bands (this episode cures depression)

Marcy At the gates (how can a show about talking frogs be this good!)

Hopping mall (this episode hits different, that ending is perfect)

All in (this episode exceeded my expectations, and mentally scarred me)

The Hardest Thing (this episode inspired me)

True colors (If Marcy at the Gates cures your depression, then this gives you depression)

Last edited:

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Every single Amphibia episode is of necessary viewing to garner the full enjoyment and message of the show

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Toxic friendships can alter one's perception and fundamental concept of what a "friend" truly is.

From the beginning of the series we see underlying themes of regret and the need to change. However subtle these themes are, they are just as prevalent as they are in the first two segments as they are throughout the rest of the show.

Anne, having been promptly thrust into a fantasy world without food, shelter or family, is faced with newfound challenges. Not just in the form of massive amphibious and insectoid creatures, but the challenges of facing her so-called "friends", being alone, and most importantly, herself.

I found it interesting even as early as the episode "Best Fronds" I was able to pick up on some very unique traits in Sprig and Anne's dynamic. Anne is a flawed character which is a good thing, it's what makes her interesting and same goes for Sprig. He didn't have too many friends before Anne arrived, which is when I realized:

Neither did Anne.

At least not true friends anyway. That's not to say Sasha and Marcy don't care about Anne, but the three girls' understanding of friendship was muddied by personal and selfish motives. This is also what makes Anne such a great protagonist. She's in the middle of it all. The earliest bit of resentment we get from her comes out in the form of a lecture, as if she knows what she's talking about, as if she's trying to not only convince Sprig on how she thinks a friendship should be, but herself as well. She's in denial.

I liked the concept of Sprig (despite being the younger one of the duo) taking on the more responsible role in the friendship. He advises Anne to not swim in the lake whereas Anne tries to convince him otherwise. She tries to manipulate him into getting what she wants, a trait we would see in a certain other character later on. Sasha's effect on Anne was not a positive one and with Anne's "friends" now being lost or possibly dead, she doesn't know what to do. She takes advantage of Sprig because I'm certain that for the first time in probably forever, she had finally found a real friend. She's afraid of being alone and so she uses the only thing she's used to: first-hand intentional manipulation.

This finally leads me into Sasha and Marcy. I gotta say, I love the dynamic of Anne and Sprig and the depth the writers were able to weave into just the first couple of episodes, but MAN, how interesting is it to have not two but three incredibly well written and interesting characters to work off of each other in a friend trio that have to work out their problems while all simultaneously having different motivations, reasons and effects on all of them. Brilliant. Okay enough gushing.

On one side of the three we have Sasha. Someone I would like to call an "intentional manipulator." For mainly the same reasons Anne was manipulative towards Sprig mentioned above. Sasha covers up her feelings and projects her own insecurities onto her only friends, the people she could not afford to lose, so she does everything in her power to not have that happen. She's a control freak.

I like that we are able to parallel Anne and Sasha so well especially since both of their personalities have affected them in ways they don't even realize. We see the change in Sasha when she's willing to risk dying to save Anne. This is who Sasha really is. It's just hidden underneath her lust for power, control and possible family abuse (we don't know too much about her home life... yet.) She too, is in denial.

Marcy. Just wow. Where do I begin?

On the other side we have someone who is a good friend to Anne, we can't deny that. But, she's actually very similar to Sasha because she is what you would call an "unintentional manipulator." We see this very concept when she is first introduced in a flashback. Anne is constantly looking out for her, always having to sacrifice her own needs and life to help Marcy. Marcy is of course completely oblivious to her faults making her unintentionally a negative impact on Anne whether she wants to or not. Her fascination with fantasy worlds and overall oblivious nature feeds into her true self. She is also in denial. Constantly trying to run away from her problems, escape to somewhere where she feels like she can belong. She does this in the form of playing video games, playing D&D (er- sorry... C&C) and hanging out with her friends. Until she actively makes the decision to use the music box so that she and her friends can run away forever. She literally gets stuck in a fantasy world, while forcing her friends to do the same without even considering what they wanted. She does this because of how afraid she is to be alone. Same as Sasha. Same as Anne.

I could go on for hours about the complexity in these girls' dynamic and how they all parallel each other. But this is on a surface level the narrative Matt Braly and the team have created and I would love to make more analyses on characters in the show. I haven't even talked about Hop Pop, another incredibly well written character that plays into the themes of family and how they relate to Anne.

Last edited:

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
All of this yes! I loved Amphibia's characters and character dynamics, and I really love how the show tried to get its audience to see everyone's point of view. Even Sasha at her worst was not someone I actively hated, and while what Marcy did would be for me unforgiveable had she done it to me (although I do give her a lot of leeway since she's only 13), I completely understand where she came from and why she did what she did. I just really like this show a lot and I think you captured one of the best aspects of it.

Back