SpongeySquare

Imitation Krab
Greetings. I would like to ask you guys tips on how to nail Tom Kenny's season 1-3 (mostly the third) voice of SpongeBob. I'm from England so it's extra hard. I guess my main question is what kind of American accent does Tom Kenny have and how can I achieve that? Here are the TECHNIQUES I'm doing so far to imitate the spongeyness:

Raising the tongue at the back by making a hissing sound (I end up doing this a lot because I can't keep it there)
Taking a deep breath to sound more compressed
Saying "wow" immediately after swallowing to raise my larynx and get more twang (although sometimes I get too much or too little of it)
Speaking through the nose. This can compensate for the lack of pitch highs and lows I can't nail yet, but often I make him sound way too nasaly. How nasaly would you say he sounds in the older seasons?

I can kinda sound like the Mayor of Townsville and Ice King so I think there's some hope. Some things I've learned about Sponge's accent is that he really enunciates his vowels but what else is there to this? Do you think watching a bunch of early 2000s interviews of Tom Kenny and trying to imitate his normal voice will help? Ultimately, I wanna be the first guy to capture the older SpongeBob voice.

Last edited:

SpongeySquare

Imitation Krab

That's the only advice I can give you. Good luck!

Haha, the laugh is the simplest part by far. I just want to learn him and do something worthwhile with his voice. The "best" (not particularly great) impressions I've heard of him are done by people who just make him say swear words and other things that're disgraceful. By the way, let me know if you want to take a look at a dub clip I made (I could DM or whatever).

Last edited:
Back