A new Spongebob movie?

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
I'm definitely going to see this.
I hope it lives up to the first film's expectations. Plus, I would like to see a summer release. I'm tired of waiting until the holiday season for it to be released.

hasfarr

your mom
You know people are going to watch it even if it's bad. SpongeBob's more popular than it was when the first movie was released.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
And I was right, people are talking about Hillenburg's eventual return.

I don't think he will return. I just think it would be nice to see him get involved, even if it's just to a tiny degree, to steer things in the right direction.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
I don't think he will return. I just think it would be nice to see him get involved, even if it's just to a tiny degree, to steer things in the right direction.
He is still involved with the show, just clearly not as much as he used to be. I'm sure that he will be doing a lot for this new movie.

sireatsalot

Alien hunter
If they're going to make another movie, I think it should stand alone rather than rely on plot elements from the first one.
I agree with this. If another movie is in the works, it should definitely be something entirely different from the first. I would really look forward to another movie, and don't think it would struggle to surpass the first one, as ssj suggests, because the popularity of SpongeBob has only grown since the first movie. Families would turn out in droves (especially mine). :)

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I agree with this. If another movie is in the works, it should definitely be something entirely different from the first. I would really look forward to another movie, and don't think it would struggle to surpass the first one, as ssj suggests, because the popularity of SpongeBob has only grown since the first movie. Families would turn out in droves (especially mine). :)

It's at times like this that I reeeeally wish I had a kid. Well, theoretically I could have one in time for the premiere of this movie ... but I sure as heck can't have one in time for the opening of Nickelodeon Land in April. Who can I pretend to take on a kiddie's day out, so I can get my picture taken with Spongebob? Who?

Whether this movie will surpass the first one? I'm undecided. On one hand, like you said, Spongebob is even huger now than it was back then and I don't doubt that a new movie would draw in millions of kids. On the other hand, the "I'm-so-cool-I-watch-Spongebob" thing has worn pretty thin over the last few years and I can't see it attracting the same proportion of adults that the first one did (not counting those accompanying children). Then again, the swell in overall audience probably more than makes up for that.

hasfarr

your mom
It's at times like this that I reeeeally wish I had a kid. Well, theoretically I could have one in time for the premiere of this movie ... but I sure as heck can't have one in time for the opening of Nickelodeon Land in April. Who can I pretend to take on a kiddie's day out, so I can get my picture taken with Spongebob? Who?

Whether this movie will surpass the first one? I'm undecided. On one hand, like you said, Spongebob is even huger now than it was back then and I don't doubt that a new movie would draw in millions of kids. On the other hand, the "I'm-so-cool-I-watch-Spongebob" thing has worn pretty thin over the last few years and I can't see it attracting the same proportion of adults that the first one did (not counting those accompanying children). Then again, the swell in overall audience probably more than makes up for that.
Well, I'm guessing it's definitely gonna make a lot more money. The kids love it even more, and it'll be a kind of "take that" moment for Nickelodeon against its rivals.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Well, I'm guessing it's definitely gonna make a lot more money. The kids love it even more, and it'll be a kind of "take that" moment for Nickelodeon against its rivals.

It will also make a nice change to have Nicktoon -> movie rather than movie -> Nicktoon, which I'm getting pretty bored of to be honest. (Barnyard, Penguins, Kung Fu Panda ...)

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
New York Times mentioned the possibility of a new Spongebob movie back in July 2010, but the article doesn't really confirm things either way.

"Other films in development include a vehicle for Miranda Cosgrove, the star of the Nickelodeon series “iCarly,” and a family adventure built around Mattel’s Magic 8-Ball toy. The creators of “SpongeBob SquarePants” have also been approached to do another film."
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/05/business/media/05nick.html?scp=13&sq=spongebob&st=cse

The "in development" part may or may not apply to the statement about Spongebob. It's not really clear.
I also wonder if by "the creators" they actually mean Hillenburg, or if they're just mistakenly referring to people currently working on the show as creators.

Lazlo

Flying Dutchman's Sock
New York Times mentioned the possibility of a new Spongebob movie back in July 2010, but the article doesn't really confirm things either way.

"Other films in development include a vehicle for Miranda Cosgrove, the star of the Nickelodeon series iCarly, and a family adventure built around Mattels Magic 8-Ball toy. The creators of SpongeBob SquarePants have also been approached to do another film."
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/05/business/media/05nick.html?scp=13&sq=spongebob&st=cse

The "in development" part may or may not apply to the statement about Spongebob. It's not really clear.
I also wonder if by "the creators" they actually mean Hillenburg, or if they're just mistakenly referring to people currently working on the show as creators.

I'm don't think the go-ahead or confirmation has been givin yet. Also, a Magic 8-Ball movie?

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Also, a Magic 8-Ball movie?

Pffft, scrap that. They should make a Magic Conch Shell movie.
And I still think they should make the Magic Conch into an actual piece of Spongebob merchandise. :P

"Should I go into work today?"
"I don't think so."
ALL HAIL THE MAGIC CONCH. LULULULULU!

hasfarr

your mom
Pffft, scrap that. They should make a Magic Conch Shell movie.
And I still think they should make the Magic Conch into an actual piece of Spongebob merchandise. :P

"Should I go into work today?"
"I don't think so."
ALL HAIL THE MAGIC CONCH. LULULULULU!
Should I go to school today?
No.
HOORAY!

wambo69

Bomb-Selling Pirate
if they did make another movie i would definitely see it.... multiple times. even if it wasnt that good. i love sb :]<33 and would love to see it on the big screen, i never got to see the last one in theaters :/ and im sure it would be a box office hit since its pretty popular

DJ Sponge

Future Miss Universe
Something tells me it will probably be released next year.
Full-length animated movies take a long time to make... if it went into the first stages of production this year it wouldn't come out until 2014 at the earliest.

Unless they've been making it on the sly and not telling anybody for a while, I doubt it'll be next year.

SimbaObsesser

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I don't know for sure if there will be another SBSP movie. If there is, wow! If not, that's okay. I wonder how the new story will be like if they make another movie.

Mothra

Billy Bighands
Unless they've been making it on the sly and not telling anybody for a while, I doubt it'll be next year.
THAT'S IT

The recent few seasons have been so crapabadtasticacular because they're making another movie and putting so much effort into it because they want it to be more awesome than the last!

But that's my inner Ringo optimist speaking.

hasfarr

your mom
THAT'S IT

The recent few seasons have been so crapabadtasticacular because they're making another movie and putting so much effort into it because they want it to be more awesome than the last!

But that's my inner Ringo optimist speaking.
Sorry kid, but last time they worked on a feature film and a season together, it was actually awesome.

Back