A new Spongebob movie?

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0304-ct-paramount-rango-20110304,0,4796726.story
"Paramount has two animated movies following "Rango": Steven Spielberg's motion-capture film "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn," set for release in December, and another "SpongeBob" picture. Studio executives say more will follow, including a possible "Rango" sequel."

I'm intrigued. Part of me is very skeptical about how true this is, because I've got so used to producers/cast members saying there isn't going to be another movie. But the other part of me acknowledges that this is the LA Times, which I class as a reliable source (as opposed to somebody's blog or a high school newspaper).

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Sounds like it's still a couple years away if that's the first we've heard of it.

Yes, they've either kept it hush-hush or it's still in the embryonic stages.
The wording of the quote is encouraging ... "Paramount has two animated movies", rather than "Paramount has plans for two animated movies". It implies that something solid is in place.

What confuses me, though, is they always said that in order to do another feature they would have to temporarily shut down production on the cartoon. But Season 9 is supposed to premiere in 2012. Do they have time to work on a movie and the series?

raisin

Moby Dollar
If its true and there is another movie then I hope Stephen Hillenberg will be back in the writing process at least. If its all Paul Tibbit....meh I just dont know.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
If its true and there is another movie then I hope Stephen Hillenberg will be back in the writing process at least. If its all Paul Tibbit....meh I just dont know.

If Hillenburg got involved I can see myself getting really excited about this, but if the "wrong" people work on it it could turn out horribly. It would be amazing if guys like Sherm Cohen were on the team, but maybe that's wishful thinking. Still, we can hope. :D

I hope all the old writers come back and return to make this movie if it's true. Sequels are never really as good, in my opinion, but I've been liking lots of Season 7, which I believe did include the older writers such as Paul Tibbit. That would be fantastic. :D

Mothra

Billy Bighands

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
I'll still see it regardless. I'd be surprised if it passes the amount of money the first one made.

Mothra

Billy Bighands
The only form I watched the first movie in was the video game.

I expect that to be the same for this theoretical second. If the video game doesn't suck.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Rango sequel= No.
Spongebob sequel= Um, wow.

I can't see it being a direct sequel. They would have to start it with Spongebob as the manager of KK2 and also acknowledge the character developments of the first movie, which would make things pretty complicated. Also, I think it would be wrong to mess with the fact that the movie was supposed to take place at the end of the Spongebob timeline. Though that doesn't rule out the possibility of a prequel.
If they're going to make another movie, I think it should stand alone rather than rely on plot elements from the first one.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
Personally, I thought the first Spongebob movie was a little bit too big for it's britches. It had a lot of one-and-done gags/cameos and didn't fit with the rest of the show (and no, I'm not referring to KK2. I mean it's as if the characters knew they were in a movie and pulled out all the stops.) Not to mention they could have done so much more with Sandy, Scooter, Bubble Buddy or the other characters from Bikini Bottom.

If there's a second movie in the works - either now or later - I'd like to see it somewhat self-contained within Bikini Bottom (of course, Rock Bottom, Jellyfish Fields, etc. are all valid settings.) I'd like to see it character driven. Spongebob, Patrick and Mr. Krabs can't really have a personal crisis that isn't comedic, and Plankton has just been worn too thin. A lot of storylines have already been covered in the show, but something with Squidward or Sandy perhaps... Actually, a really good movie would weave multiple storylines and varying character predicaments together into one coherent piece of cinema.

Too bad Tolstoy never wrote for the movies.

Squiddykins

take back the falls
Wow, a new Spongebob movie may be planned out? Not so sure if this is 100% accurate, but if they are planning to make a second Spongebob movie, then I might want to see this. Hopefully it would be as good as the original.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
I'm looking forward to this, always great to see SpongeBob on the big screen! :D

:spongebob: I can hardly wait to see our favourite heroes ON THE BIG SCREEN!!!!.... AGAIN!!!!

hasfarr

your mom
In an article about Paramount and Dreamworks's partnership, the LA Times reported that Paramount has another SpongeBob feature in the works:

Paramount has two animated movies following "Rango": Steven Spielberg's motion-capture film "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn," set for release in December, and another "SpongeBob" picture. Studio executives say more will follow, including a possible "Rango" sequel.

This is interesting. I'd like to see how a new movie would be.

*cue the people saying "I hope Hillenburg directs, produces and writes it"*

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
In an article about Paramount and Dreamworks's partnership, the LA Times reported that Paramount has another SpongeBob feature in the works:

This is interesting. I'd like to see how a new movie would be.

*cue the people saying "I hope Hillenburg directs, produces and writes it"*

We already have a topic about this; merged your post into it. :thumb1:

Back