8th Anniversary of SBMania!

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
A few days late... I guess we lost track of time.
SBM8thAnniversary.png

A lot of great things have happened here over the last year, including the big site update with SBM v4 earlier this year.
We hope to stay around for years to come, and hope that everyone continues to enjoy their experience here.
Thanks to everyone who's been a part of SBM over that last 8 years!

JCM

#cancelspongebob
Wow, it feels like we were celebrating the seventh anniversary just a few days ago. My, how time flies.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Happy Birthday SBM! The place isn't as busy as when I first started posting in September 2005, but it's definitely not dead, infant it's probably more of a community since I know who everyone is now, back then we had about 500 people on at once all posting. There were also teams which had their own forums, blogs, that pets thing, the RPG, and the short lived quotes feature. All in the past now.

There also used to be many other sites like SpongeyMedia, Nautical Media, SpongeZone and SpongeBob Crazy (now United SpongeBob), SpongeBob Central/Clubhouse and The Idiot Box who merged into SpongeBob Revolution, The Mermalair, and a couple of others whose names I can't remember, like the one that was the original home of episode capsules and got shut down because the founder left and the co-founder did not want to run it anymore.

Ahh, just visited The Mermalair site, it was SpongeBob Area. that site was freaking awesome. I was so sad that it got shut down. Stupid ETaB685...

Anyway, my point is that although all those sites have gone this site remains and still has a thriving community with new members joining pretty much every other day, if not daily.

Happy birthday SpongeBuddy Mania!

Happy Birthday SBMania.

Well, I have been here now officially for 6 months, and although this place I have seen lost activity compared to years ago, this place is still awesome! :D

tvlover

Moby Dollar
Here, There, Somewhere, Anywhere, Who Cares?
Happy Birthday SBM! Here's to another 8 years with old and new faces usernames! Speaking of which, I've been noticing that there are tons of guests on here everyday. So, if you're reading this, join! We don't-- well, most of us don't bite! And if you don't feel like posting often, that's fine too! I've been here since 2007 and I've only posted around 220 times (of what posts are active, at least). :P Just feel free to join the fun!

Wumbologist

Banished
Just, for people... out there I used to be part of SBMania!
But, Happy 8th Anniversary of SBMania!
Also, thanks people! :naughty: Especially, abney317! :dts:

hasfarr

your mom
like the one that was the original home of episode capsules and got shut down because the founder left and the co-founder did not want to run it anymore.

I bet you anything you're talking about this: http://www.sbmania.net/shrine/

Anyways, happy birthday, SBMania! You guys have made, by far, the best SpongeBob fansite there is.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
like the one that was the original home of episode capsules and got shut down because the founder left and the co-founder did not want to run it anymore
Pretty sure The Mermalair coined the "Capsules" term

Cha

I love SBM
Happy Anniversary SBM! Here's to many more! :)

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
I bet you anything you're talking about this: http://www.sbmania.net/shrine/
No, I was talking about SpongeBob Area.
Pretty sure The Mermalair coined the "Capsules" term
The owner of The Mermalair whose name I can't remember (he was 'SBSP' on this forum) first uploaded the capsules to SpongeBob Area and when SBA closed he created his own site, aka The Mermalair.

It's all here: http://mermalair.sbmania.net/history.htm

The content began way before the site did, in September 2003. Back then, a site with lots of info and content called SpongeBob Area was the largest site about the show on the web. One weekend morning, I (a mod known as WIrules on the site's forum) didn't have much to do. Thinking it'd be fun to help with content on the site, I asked Chi Chi, SBA's owner, if I could help out. She thought it was a great idea and approved.

Wondering what to make for SBA, I came up with the idea of 'episode capsules': pages with a bunch of info on each episode. I put in my SpongeBob "Halloween" DVD and gathered info on the episode "Scaredy Pants" to form a capsule. (Back then, capsules didn't have info on the episode's running time, which VHS it's on, a one-sentence summary ("In Brief"), the production number, observations, or as much of a detailed description ("Story"). Chi Chi put the capsule on the site in October.

I kept making these capsules for SpongeBob Area. The Secret Box; Dying For Pie; Something Smells; Welcome to the Chum Bucket; Pizza Delivery; Mermaidman and Barnacleboy IV; Sailor Mouth; I Was a Teenage Gary; Pickles; and My Pretty Seahorse became capsules throughout the site's existance. (Mermaidman and Barnacleboy IV and Pizza Delivery aren't on The Mermalair, if you're wondering.)

Sadly, SpongeBob Area didn't last long (only fourteen months after it was created). Chi Chi disappeared, and ETaB685, the site's co-owner, wasn't satisfied with the site. He deleted it in June of 2004, and my capsules no longer had a home. A lot of work was put into them and I was still making more, so I needed somewhere to put them. The sites I liked weren't interested in taking them, and I didn't want to give them to sites I didn't like. Then, I was in luck. My friend planned on making a site and wanted my capsules, so I was happy to let him have them. Before the site launched, he changed his mind and didn't make it. I still had nowhere to put my content.

In October 2004, I was messing around with Page Builder on my Geocities account late at night when I realized something: I could use this to make a capsule site! So I chose the name The Mermalair over Robot Pirate Island (I wanted the site to be named after a location on the show), whipped up this uninteresting banner, and begun to transfer my capsules onto Page Builder. However, I quickly realized that you don't have much freedom with Page Builder, and it plain stinks. HTML was the way to go, so I learned it. (And the rest is history)

there's something that confused me. on the history page it says SBM created April 3rd, 2004. wasn't supposedly created on Aprul 7th? i don't know it's confusing me.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
I know that... I meant according to who is the anniversary on the 7th?

Back