76a. The Thing

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
When this episode STARTS OFF with Squidward sneaking up in Spongebob's house to check if it's time to ruin his day, that's really not a good sign. But it is the least of the episode's problems. The plot is just a blatant rehash of Jellyfishing, which is an episode that I don't even like, topped off with Squidward becoming a big laughingstock just because of the coincidences he unwillingly faced. The episode does visually look good, I really enjoyed the color pallet they used for the evening sky of Conch Street. There were also very few jokes that I enjoyed, but certainly not enough to make up for the episode's blandness and unnecessary torture.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I just like this episode its funny.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Patrick SmartPants (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI The Motion Picture (Perfect)
Bummer Vacation (Amazing!)
Wishing You Well (Amazing!)
Krusty Towers (Amazing!)
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Once Bitten (Great)
Enemy In-Law (Great)
Wigstruck (Great)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
The Thing (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
That's No Lady (Great)
Squidtastic Voyage (Great)
Chimps Ahoy (Great)
Karate Island (Great)
SquidBob TentaclePants (Great)
Whale of a Birthday (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Mrs. Puff Your'e Fired (Bad)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
New Leaf (Bad)
Ghost Host (Bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)
All That Glitters (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "The Thing". And all I can say is...oh boy. I wouldn't call this episode infamous, because I think it's more forgotten than anything, but I know that the reception to this episode is not exactly...positive. Though it's funny that like 3 different reviews above mine say this episode is "Great" or higher praise. But yeah, that's not the trend. The fact that this thread has 4 pages of replies is enough to confirm that.

The beginning of this episode is pretty entertaining, with Squidward sneaking out of his house seeing that SpongeBob and Patrick seem to be gone. I like the way he creeps around and is like "something isn't right around here". Of course, SpongeBob and Patrick are around, just in time for his public television watching of Kelpy G. Which yeah, we finally see a decently iconic character from this show, Kelpy G! I remember there used to be this Instagram account that posted Kelpy G every night. That was fun. Anyway, things get more...annoying once SpongeBob and Patrick start bothering Squidward, especially when they show up in his house asking a bunch of questions about the show. Squidward's visual reactions are pretty fun though, though I do think it's interesting that in like 2 minutes we've already seen Squidward exaggeratedly stretch his eyes twice. Honestly this episode feels like a continuation of "Good Neighbors", with SpongeBob and Patrick bothering Squidward when he's trying to relax.

Moving on, once Squidward storms out, we see this beautiful blue and purple background of what I'm assuming is early evening in Bikini Bottom. What time of day is this episode? Who knows. But anyway, this is where things start taking a bad turn for most watchers of this episode. Squidward gets covered in cement, and then a bunch of other unpleasant stuff happens to him, landing him in Jellyfish Fields looking nothing like himself. I did like the cut to Squidward's inner thoughts after five days of wandering. But of course, once he learns he's in Jellyfish Fields, things get real bad for him as SpongeBob and Patrick find him immediately, not recognizing him to be Squidward.

See my issue at this point is that I'm bored. This is super dull. So far there's been barely any good jokes, and then with this whole scene with SpongeBob and Patrick discovering "Smelly", I'm just waiting to be entertained. Patrick's little bit with yelling at the "monster" is not as funny (or really, funny at all) as it was probably meant to be. And then the muffled sounds coming from Squidward really does not help the unpleasantness that I'm beginning to feel by this point. SpongeBob and Patrick bring "Smelly" to SpongeBob's house, and we see a few more unfunny jokes, and then Gary my king attacks Squidward. Honestly that got a little chuckle out of me, until I started feeling bad for Squidward again. Because, see, I don't mind Squidward going through a bunch of unpleasant situations, but I do mind when he can do absolutely nothing about it like in this episode. He's quite literally immobilized. I think the best episode to compare "The Thing" to is "Jellyfishing", because Squidward was similarly immobilized and unintelligble. But he brought the main pain he felt in the end on himself, so it was much more pleasant. In this episode, Squidward didn't bring any of the things that happen to him on himself, so it just feels unnecessary.

Watching SpongeBob and Patrick try to treat Squidward like a pet just isn't really that entertaining. I'm not about to start espousing "Squidward Torture ::dolphin noise::" logic, but I'd say that this is the first episode where I can see where that term came from. Like when Patrick calls animal control, I just sit there wondering how much more of this do I have to sit through. I did like the "sure, I'll hold" part of that scene though. Anyway, then Squidward gets taken to the zoo, which is really just overkill at this point. Now that I'm thinking of it, I really think that another main part of the issue with Squidward being immobilized and unintelligible in this episode is that one huge part about the humor of seeing a character like Squidward deal with these unpleasant situations is the reaction. In this episode, we don't see Squidward react to all of this stuff happening to him, other than some muffled protests, because he's encased in cement. "Smelly" just wears the same expression other than the eyes, which aren't even used very expressively (like they were at the beginning of this episode). So it really just feels like we're literally beating a dead horse. It's not that funny when we can't see Squidward react or fight back or anything.

This episode really just has such a weird plot and I have so many questions. Like first off is the choice to remove Squidward from the equation like this, but then there's all the situations that Squidward is put in after this. Putting him in the zoo is equally as unfunny as the rest of the episode, and I don't find myself very compelled by SpongeBob's assertion that no one should be treated the way "Smelly" is right now, even someone as ugly as "Smelly". The break out scene is entertaining enough at least, but again there's nothing that makes me laugh, and by this point the episode has already bored and annoyed me enough that this little smidgen of action hardly puts a dent in the way I feel. And then by the end of that scene Squidward starts crying profusely, and now it's just flat out unpleasant to watch him do so, because there's no enjoyment or gratification to be had out of it. And then Squidward gets taken by a bunch of creatures who happen to look like "Smelly", but hey it's cool because Kelpy G is here, and Squidward can finally, finally enjoy a nice, quiet, soothing, private concert from the man he tried to watch at the beginning of this whole debacle. Or...he does for a few seconds. And then his cement casing comes off, revealing that he's not one of those creatures. Thankfully, the episode cuts there, because I'm choosing to believe that the creatures were chill and let Squidward stay and enjoy the concert anyway. If the episode had ended more...negatively, you better believe that would've knocked it down a whole tier.

"The Thing" just isn't the episode for me, y'all. It's insanely boring, and when it isn't boring, 99% of the time it's just annoying or flat-out unpleasant. And pretty much the only good jokes of the episode are in the beginning, so there really isn't much complimentary I can say for everything past the first few minutes. And that is exactly why I dislike this episode more than "Good Neighbors", because at least that episode had some funny moments in there, and Squidward got some gratification in part of the episode, even if that was ripped away by the ending. This episode is just a slog to get through. It's not the worst episode of the show, but it is generally unpleasant with pretty much no redeeming qualities, meaning it can't even reach my (barely) "Tolerable" tier. That's why I'm forced to make this episode the first of its kind, a "Bad" tier episode.

Episode Tier: Bad
Episode Score:
3.8/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up, we've got "The Thing". And all I can say is...oh boy. I wouldn't call this episode infamous, because I think it's more forgotten than anything, but I know that the reception to this episode is not exactly...positive. Though it's funny that like 3 different reviews above mine say this episode is "Great" or higher praise. But yeah, that's not the trend. The fact that this thread has 4 pages of replies is enough to confirm that.

The beginning of this episode is pretty entertaining, with Squidward sneaking out of his house seeing that SpongeBob and Patrick seem to be gone. I like the way he creeps around and is like "something isn't right around here". Of course, SpongeBob and Patrick are around, just in time for his public television watching of Kelpy G. Which yeah, we finally see a decently iconic character from this show, Kelpy G! I remember there used to be this Instagram account that posted Kelpy G every night. That was fun. Anyway, things get more...annoying once SpongeBob and Patrick start bothering Squidward, especially when they show up in his house asking a bunch of questions about the show. Squidward's visual reactions are pretty fun though, though I do think it's interesting that in like 2 minutes we've already seen Squidward exaggeratedly stretch his eyes twice. Honestly this episode feels like a continuation of "Good Neighbors", with SpongeBob and Patrick bothering Squidward when he's trying to relax.

Moving on, once Squidward storms out, we see this beautiful blue and purple background of what I'm assuming is early evening in Bikini Bottom. What time of day is this episode? Who knows. But anyway, this is where things start taking a bad turn for most watchers of this episode. Squidward gets covered in cement, and then a bunch of other unpleasant stuff happens to him, landing him in Jellyfish Fields looking nothing like himself. I did like the cut to Squidward's inner thoughts after five days of wandering. But of course, once he learns he's in Jellyfish Fields, things get real bad for him as SpongeBob and Patrick find him immediately, not recognizing him to be Squidward.

See my issue at this point is that I'm bored. This is super dull. So far there's been barely any good jokes, and then with this whole scene with SpongeBob and Patrick discovering "Smelly", I'm just waiting to be entertained. Patrick's little bit with yelling at the "monster" is not as funny (or really, funny at all) as it was probably meant to be. And then the muffled sounds coming from Squidward really does not help the unpleasantness that I'm beginning to feel by this point. SpongeBob and Patrick bring "Smelly" to SpongeBob's house, and we see a few more unfunny jokes, and then Gary my king attacks Squidward. Honestly that got a little chuckle out of me, until I started feeling bad for Squidward again. Because, see, I don't mind Squidward going through a bunch of unpleasant situations, but I do mind when he can do absolutely nothing about it like in this episode. He's quite literally immobilized. I think the best episode to compare "The Thing" to is "Jellyfishing", because Squidward was similarly immobilized and unintelligble. But he brought the main pain he felt in the end on himself, so it was much more pleasant. In this episode, Squidward didn't bring any of the things that happen to him on himself, so it just feels unnecessary.

Watching SpongeBob and Patrick try to treat Squidward like a pet just isn't really that entertaining. I'm not about to start espousing "Squidward Torture ::dolphin noise::" logic, but I'd say that this is the first episode where I can see where that term came from. Like when Patrick calls animal control, I just sit there wondering how much more of this do I have to sit through. I did like the "sure, I'll hold" part of that scene though. Anyway, then Squidward gets taken to the zoo, which is really just overkill at this point. Now that I'm thinking of it, I really think that another main part of the issue with Squidward being immobilized and unintelligible in this episode is that one huge part about the humor of seeing a character like Squidward deal with these unpleasant situations is the reaction. In this episode, we don't see Squidward react to all of this stuff happening to him, other than some muffled protests, because he's encased in cement. "Smelly" just wears the same expression other than the eyes, which aren't even used very expressively (like they were at the beginning of this episode). So it really just feels like we're literally beating a dead horse. It's not that funny when we can't see Squidward react or fight back or anything.

This episode really just has such a weird plot and I have so many questions. Like first off is the choice to remove Squidward from the equation like this, but then there's all the situations that Squidward is put in after this. Putting him in the zoo is equally as unfunny as the rest of the episode, and I don't find myself very compelled by SpongeBob's assertion that no one should be treated the way "Smelly" is right now, even someone as ugly as "Smelly". The break out scene is entertaining enough at least, but again there's nothing that makes me laugh, and by this point the episode has already bored and annoyed me enough that this little smidgen of action hardly puts a dent in the way I feel. And then by the end of that scene Squidward starts crying profusely, and now it's just flat out unpleasant to watch him do so, because there's no enjoyment or gratification to be had out of it. And then Squidward gets taken by a bunch of creatures who happen to look like "Smelly", but hey it's cool because Kelpy G is here, and Squidward can finally, finally enjoy a nice, quiet, soothing, private concert from the man he tried to watch at the beginning of this whole debacle. Or...he does for a few seconds. And then his cement casing comes off, revealing that he's not one of those creatures. Thankfully, the episode cuts there, because I'm choosing to believe that the creatures were chill and let Squidward stay and enjoy the concert anyway. If the episode had ended more...negatively, you better believe that would've knocked it down a whole tier.

"The Thing" just isn't the episode for me, y'all. It's insanely boring, and when it isn't boring, 99% of the time it's just annoying or flat-out unpleasant. And pretty much the only good jokes of the episode are in the beginning, so there really isn't much complimentary I can say for everything past the first few minutes. And that is exactly why I dislike this episode more than "Good Neighbors", because at least that episode had some funny moments in there, and Squidward got some gratification in part of the episode, even if that was ripped away by the ending. This episode is just a slog to get through. It's not the worst episode of the show, but it is generally unpleasant with pretty much no redeeming qualities, meaning it can't even reach my (barely) "Tolerable" tier. That's why I'm forced to make this episode the first of its kind, a "Bad" tier episode.

Episode Score: 3.8/10
it's ''jellyfishing'' but bad

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH

Episode Score: 3.8/10
Yes! bad! thats what this episode deserves! its basically a worse version of jellyfishing and good neighbors!

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Kelpy G is the only saving of this atrocity
So remember how I said I changed my thoughts about all that glitters and I think its not the worst of the season anymore? yeah this is why I rewatched this one its a worse version of Jellyfishing which wasn't very good it adds the annoyance and ruining squidward's calm day from good neighbors and the mean spiritedness the only reason from giving it lower than a 1/10 is Kelpy G
  1. Have You Seen This Snail? (♾/10)
  2. Dunces And Dragons (30/10)
  3. Krusty Towers (20/10)
  4. Patrick Smartpants (15/10)
  5. Wishing You Well (14.5/10)
  6. Fear Of A Krabby Patty (10/10)
  7. Skill Crane (10/10)
  8. Ghost Host (10/10)
  9. Whale Of A Birthday (10/10)
  10. The Lost Mattress (10/10)
  11. That's No Lady (10/10)
  12. New Leaf (10/10)