75b. That's No Lady

XOctoGirlX

Floating Shopping List
This one of my all time fav episodes.
I love when guys go crazy over girls in cartoons.
It reminds me a bit of Tex Avery cartoons.
9.5/10

PinkPearl

insert title here
I think people like to read into Spongebob episodes waaaaayyyyyyyy too much. The point of kids shows like Spongebob is to let kids enjoy funny stories. I never thought of the episode as cross-dressing until I read people's comments on it. I feel sorry for those of you who can't enjoy it because "the writers are promoting cross-dressing and that's disturbing." Um, no, it's just meant to be a funny story. Just take the show at surface value and enjoy. It's a cartoon, people. It's supposed to be enjoyed at surface value.

That said, this episode is seriously underrated. I think it's great how Squidward and Mr. Krabs honestly think that Patrick is a girl. Spongebob clearly isn't the only naive one in Bikini Bottom. And the gags are great. One of my favorite Patrick episodes of all time. 10/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Very funny episode and I don't see the problem with the plot, it's silly and wacky, people need to chill about it in my opinion. Really funny stuff but a tad dull in some areas.

8/10

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
After all, SpongeBob's work at the peak of his Nickelodeon prime was downright hilarious, smartly written substance that never got old. This steaming pile of crap that the writers try to pass off as SpongeBob, therefore, obviously doesn't deserve to be compared to the barrel that once overflowed with original material. (Thanks to Roger Ebert, in his review of "Freddy Got Fingered", for that quote.)

I was once briefly employed for an online "business" devoted to distributing items to "Animal Crossing" players worldwide. You've probably never heard of it, but it's called "Johntown327's Unlimited Giveaway", which you can check out for yourself on AnimalCrossingCommunity.com. I remember the first speech of Johntown327, the executive director, that I witnessed. It went roughly along the lines of this: "I ask for toast, and you give me a piece of bread with the word 'toast' scribbled on it in marker. I ask for a hamburger, and you give me a pile of bloody cow guts. I ask for chocolate milk and you give me water mixed with dirt. Guess what, people? It's not cutting it!"

I feel exactly like screaming those words to the writers of this downright idiotic episode.

I vowed that I would never review another episode of SpongeBob after "Spy Buddies", and that anyone could just read the review of that episode if they wanted to know my sentiments towards any post-movie episode. However, I'm making an exception with "That's No Lady" simply because it's such moronic, awful, utterly insulting stupidity that I can't berate enough.

I'll start with the plot, one of the most fascinating, well-thought out and involving plots I've ever seen. Y'see, Patrick is walking, and a fish randomly screams at him, "Get out of town!" Patrick, afraid that his life has been threatened, assumes the identity of a woman. Not impressed? Well, wait until you hear what happens next! He gets a job at the Krusty Krab, and Squidward and Mr. Krabs have a crush on him! But then, in a twist ending, it turns out that the fish wasn't threatening Patrick; he was a travel agent who wanted him to go on a vacation! And then, the funniest part of all: Patrick randomly rips his clothes off when he finds this out! The most AWESOME ending EVARRR!!!1

Seriously, I know that I said that SpongeBob wasn't about intricate plots, but this is just ludicrous. A two-year-old could come up with better material, I'm sure. Anyone without at least a decent level of respect for civilized literature who looks at this crap as witty should be dragged out into the woods and shot. Save the world one more brainless waste of air.

Characters? I would say that everyone was way out-of-character here, but SpongeBob, as of the movie, has never had consistent characters, so I really can't propose that argument. But I will say that this (mis)use of Patrick has been by far the most head-scratchingly bad move the writers have made thus far. SpongeBob, meanwhile, is flat as cardboard. Squidward's sudden love fascination with Patrick is not only contrary to everything we know about him, it's also very disturbing.

Humor? None. Oh, but we have a scene where Patrick takes SpongeBob's clothes, thinking that they're his! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLZ, I MAY DIE LAUGHING!!!!!!!11!1one JEEZUS FRICKING CHRIST, THAT'S HILARIOUS! Again, I raise the "drag 'em in the woods and shoot 'em" point. SpongeBob has always been about witty verbal ballets, satire, and the occasional physical slapstick humor (courtesy of Squidward). Not a stupid "Patrick, those are my clothes", "Oh, sorry".

Other gags? Oh please. Squidward and Mr. Krabs pursue a love interest with "Patricia", only to realize later that he's not a woman. Seriously, that's not funny. That's garbage that's literally impossible to properly describe.

I really can't give this episode the credit it deserves, which would be to totally destroy every copy from existence and order an apology from the writers to humanity for this grave offense. And I'm sure you can draw conclusions for yourself relating to the blatant innuendo of "That's No Lady". In conclusion, there's nothing to like about this episode, unless you want a way to kill IQ points.

I'll close with another quote, from Charles A. Beard: "When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." This episode, as well as the era it comes from, is certainly dark, and I certainly appreciate the stars ("Band Geeks", "Life of Crime", "Chocolate with Nuts", "Club SpongeBob") with undying gratitude.

(EDIT: I've done a cursory check on the positive reviews for this episode, and, based on the total disregard for basic grammar, convincing presentation, logical thought, and structure of the content, I'm even more assured that my opinion is justified: this episode is for idiots.)

I feel this episode in enjoyable and funny in a sense of it taking a new chance at a different, unusual concept for a kid's cartoon, so I really do like it, especially when Mr. Krabs and Squidward were head over heels for the so-called "Patricia"! 9.5/10

This episode was just okay. I liked some of the gags, but Patrick being a lady was portrayed in a really awkward way. Plus, I don't get why Mr. Krabs and Squidward are so into Patricia in the first place.

Ranking so far:
1. Dunces and Dragons (A+)
2. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (A+)
3. Krusty Towers (A+)
4. The Lost Mattress (A)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
6. Bummer Vacation (A)
7. Skill Crane (A)
8. Wishing You Well (A)
9. Patrick SmartPants (A)
10. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
11. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (B)
12. Ghost Host (B)
13. Once Bitten (B)
14. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
15. Chimps Ahoy (B)
16. Selling Out (B)
17. Squidtastic Voyage (B)
18. New Leaf (B)
19. That's No Lady (C)
20. Enemy In-Law (C)
21. Shell of a Man (C)
22. Whale of a Birthday (C)
23. SquidBob TentaclePants (C)
24. Funny Pants (D)
25. Karate Island (D)
26. Good Neighbors (E)
27. Wigstruck (E)
28. All That Glitters (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I'll admit; this one is a guilty pleasure of mine. Sure, Krabs and Squidward were pretty out of character, and them feeling attraction towards Patrick doesn't make much sense, but it's honestly pretty funny and the reveal at the end was absolutely hilarious to me. The plot is also pretty good too, I like the whole setup and the way the episode played out. There's some strange implications to this episode, but overall I think it's solid and funny.

Good episode (7/10)

1. Dunces and Dragons (10)
2. Krusty Towers (10)
3. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
4. Wishing You Well (9)
5. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (8)
6. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
7. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
8. Patrick Smartpants (8)
9. Selling Out (8)
10. Shell of a Man (7)
11. The Lost Mattress (7)
12. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (7)
13. Squidtastic Voyage (7)
14. Karate Island (7)
15. Bummer Vacation (7)
16. Enemy-In-Law (7)
17. Skill Crane (7)
18. That's No Lady (7)
19. Chimps Ahoy (6)
20. Funny Pants (6)
21. Once Bitten (6)
22. Whale of a Birthday (6)
23. Squidbob Tentaclepants (5)
24. New Leaf (5)
25. Ghost Host (5)
26. Wigstruck (5)
27. Good Neighbors (4)
28. All That Glitters (3)

D00d13B0bF1atpants

Floating Shopping List
If there's one thing that really kinda misses the mark for me;

I find it too hard to believe that they'd still be fooled by Patrick's Disguise after "Patricia" Spoke; since He's NOT even trying to disguise his voice to sound like a chick; He still sounds like a dude. . . and they're still falling for his disguise.

I Mean; If I Heard a Lady speaking with such a Deep Voice; that'd be a Huge Red Flag warning for me. . .

D00d13B0bF1atpants

Floating Shopping List
It was kinda dumb the way Mr. Krabs and Squidward were flirting with "Patricia"

But maybe they're just starved for love...
i mean it's like they were deaf & Couldn't hear how much "She" sounded like a "he". . . seriously. . .

I Find it hard to believe that they couldn't identify a Male's Voice from a Female's Voice. . .

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Funny thats all.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Patrick SmartPants (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI The Motion Picture (Perfect)
Bummer Vacation (Amazing!)
Wishing You Well (Amazing!)
Krusty Towers (Amazing!)
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Once Bitten (Great)
Enemy In-Law (Great)
Wigstruck (Great)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
That's No Lady (Great)
Squidtastic Voyage (Great)
Chimps Ahoy (Great)
Karate Island (Great)
SquidBob TentaclePants (Great)
Whale of a Birthday (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Mrs. Puff Your'e Fired (Bad)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
New Leaf (Bad)
Ghost Host (Bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)
All That Glitters (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
For today's review, we've got "That's No Lady", which is an episode I enjoy decently well. For some reason this episode feels particularly memorable to me. Not necessarily iconic, just more memorable. And I don't know why because I haven't seen many people talk about this episode, not even on Twitter which likes to reiterate the same episodes over and over. So I really don't know where I've gotten this impression from.

I love how...uncannily this episode begins. That's not the right word but I don't know what word to use for what I mean. Like Patrick is just running around in the empty street and then some guy comes up and starts yelling at him to get out of town. It's weird, but not in a bad way. And besides, Patrick's reaction is pretty funny. And one thing I like about this episode is that it poses and solves the problem of this guy telling Patrick to get out of town in the same minute, which tells us that we don't have to worry about the salesman anymore, and can focus entirely on what Patrick is about to do for the rest of this episode. Like, this could've been an episode where it was revealed at the end just what was going on, but nah, they told us right away. I like that. Anyway, I love how when Patrick tells SpongeBob what happened, the most alarming thing was that the guy had a briefcase. Frankly if I was him, I'd be more worried about how the guy had a suit, given certain assassins' propensity for wearing suits...but anyway, I love the whole goodbye scene between SpongeBob and Patrick, especially with Patrick just taking all of SpongeBob's stuff, that was hilarious. Not to mention the wholesomeness intermixed with SpongeBob listing off all the plans that he has with Patrick. Very cute.

SpongeBob's attempts at finding a solution for Patrick are entertaining enough, finally landing on the one solution that works: crossdressing! Living in the year 2023 has lent me a critical eye when it comes to episode plots like this, whether I want to think of it that way or not. And I'm not trying to get on a high horse either. But we do have to address that crossdressing is somewhat used as a punchline here, not to mention the real almost-questionable stuff with Squidward and Mr. Krabs falling for Patrick even though he looks the same with a wig and some lipstick on, and that being used as a punchline in the end. I don't think this episode is "problematic" or "offensive" (real words and phrases and concerns that have been slowly and sadly corroded over time), but I still think it's important to acknowledge when certain aspects of episodes are not quite...up to par. And that's all I've gotta say on that. I still like this episode, and this stuff doesn't affect my rating, but I will talk about it because I can. (EDIT: Oh and let me make clear right now that I have no issue with crossdressing. It's crossdressing used as a punchline that I take issue with, depending on the severity and egregiousness of the joke, because let's be real for a second and ask ourselves why we think crossdressing is funny? It's transphobia, simple as that. We live in a highly transphobic society, I'm not surprised that crossdressing jokes like this are common. This episode is very, very tame compared to some of the other stuff out there, which is why I don't really have a true issue with it. But it's still worth acknowledging just for knowledge's sake, and the sake of learning from history.)

Moving on, we see everyone reacting to Patrick's new look and identity. And it is in these moments that I realize how uncomfortable I am with SpongeBob being involved in any kind of romantic pursuit, and how thankful I am every day that they very rarely have him in these kinds of plotlines. The scene with Larry is fun at first but then goes on too long, like please move on. And I think my issue is (I'm getting on my high horse again, I don't care) just how heteronormative (I know, such a scary word) these scenes and plots are. It's the exact kind of thing that annoyed me when I was much younger and everyone thought my best friend and I were dating or had crushes on each other. It adds nothing to the comedy for me that Larry assumes that Patrick is SpongeBob's girlfriend rather than simply a new female friend, and I question the decision behind doing that. Okay, my horse is back in the stable now. We move on.

I like the visuals of Mr. Krabs when he sees Patrick, I thought that was a nice visual gag. And then we see the consequences of Mr. Krabs' and Squidward's interests for Patrick once we get to the Krusty Krab. Those two are definitely pushing the limits of weird and moving into creepy-ville, but this episode acknowledges that so I'm fine with it. That was one of my main issues with "Enemy-In-Law" by the way, that it did not acknowledge that what Plankton and Mrs. Krabs were doing (on both sides) was just weird all around. But this episode doesn't have that problem, as Patrick is clearly uncomfortable and for good reason. Seeing Squidward and Mr. Krabs try and fail to woo Patrick is entertaining, and I love how they're continually shut down. And then the montage of Patrick repeatedly saying "No" as the two are in increasingly weird areas is pretty funny. But it does get much weirder when it turns out that it's not just Squidward and Mr. Krabs enamored with Patrick, it's the whole dang restaurant. That was just weird and it feels somewhat uncomfortable knowing that real people have to deal with this kind of treatment at work, you know?

Finally, the charade comes to an end as the salesfish from earlier makes a reappearance, and SpongeBob comes to defend his friend, letting the cat out of the bag. And here we see the other shoe drop as the truth that was already revealed to us is finally revealed to the characters. I love how Patrick absolutely has no shame in ripping his costume off in front of everyone. Poor Squidward needs more than a shower after that display. Mr. Krabs' reaction is pretty funny because of his blunt questions and then firing of Patrick (which I guess Bikini Bottom doesn't have anti-discrimination laws, since Mr. Krabs is firing Patrick solely because of his gender identity lmao). Anyway, the episode ends nice and wholesomely with SpongeBob and Patrick running out of the Krusty Krab to work on their activity list, which I thought was cute.

"That's No Lady" is a good episode that doesn't have many problems other than not being particularly funny. When I say certain jokes made me laugh in this episode, I largely mean like a chuckle or two, nothing major. And I know I said that my high horse moments aren't really affecting my review of the episode, but I am gonna say that the Larry scene was just far too unenjoyable for me, so that docks some points off as well. All in all, I think this episode deserves its spot in my "Good" tier. There really isn't much else that I can say.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score: 7.5/10

Last edited:

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
We live in a highly transphobic society, I'm not surprised that crossdressing jokes like this are common. This episode is very, very tame compared to some of the other stuff out there, which is why I don't really have a true issue with it. But it's still worth acknowledging just for knowledge's sake, and the sake of learning from history.)

Moving on, we see everyone reacting to Patrick's new look and identity. And it is in these moments that I realize how uncomfortable I am with SpongeBob being involved in any kind of romantic pursuit, and how thankful I am every day that they very rarely have him in these kinds of plotlines. The scene with Larry is fun at first but then goes on too long, like please move on. And I think my issue is (I'm getting on my high horse again, I don't care) just how heteronormative (I know, such a scary word) these scenes and plots are. It's the exact kind of thing that annoyed me when I was much younger and everyone thought my best friend and I were dating or had crushes on each other. It adds nothing to the comedy for me that Larry assumes that Patrick is SpongeBob's girlfriend rather than simply a new female friend, and I question the decision behind doing that. Okay, my horse is back in the stable now. We move on.
Episode Score: 7.5/10
well that real quick, i agree with your points.

And then the montage of Patrick repeatedly saying "No"
kinda reminds me of that one scene in ''just one bite'' when spongebob tries to convince squid to eat a krabby patty

Last edited:

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Great episode very good
  1. Have You Seen This Snail? (♾/10)
  2. Dunces And Dragons (30/10)
  3. Krusty Towers (20/10)
  4. Patrick Smartpants (15/10)
  5. Wishing You Well (14.5/10)
  6. Fear Of A Krabby Patty (10/10)
  7. Skill Crane (10/10)
  8. Ghost Host (10/10)