74b. Wigstruck

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
While not what I would call bad, this is one of season four's weaker episodes. It's a little too repetitive for my tastes, Spongebob is a bit too oblivious, and the subplot with Ned and the Needlefish does nothing for me. I will give it some credit that the few jokes that aren't revolved around people making fun of Spongebob's wig do work, and the bad things in this episode aren't that frustrating, but it's overall bland and unmemorable.

5.5/10

hippythehippo

Banished
I liked a couple of Mr. Krabs' quips, and Patrick taking a mustard bath. I guess that's something at least.

Episodes like these remind me why Season 4 is not a good Season. This episode is just awful. The biggest thing that irked me is the moral of the episode. So, everybody should be the same and follow social customs, and gang up on everyone who doesn't? That's a great lesson to teach kids. It's not even funny here either. Poor Spongebob, getting bullied by the rest of the town. I would forgive it if it was funny, but it's downright nasty here. Look, I've not had bullying problems at all, but if I did, this episode would be a slap in the face to me. We should gang up on people because of their quirks or things they wear? That's a terrible logic to live by, and the episode gives one last slap in the face by everyone wearing wigs at the end, just because someone popular wore it. Beyond that, most of the episode is boring. Besides a few moments (and they go by quick, and are definitely not funny enough to bring the rest of the episode up), the episode is pretty terrible, and MUCH worse than I remembered it being.

I'm almost afraid to rewatch other episodes which I rated generously, such as All That Glitters, New Leaf, Squid Wood, and Hocus Pocus.

This episode's pretty bad. I hate how oblivious SpongeBob is, plus the townspeople are jerks. Sure, there are a few funny gags, but they're not enough to save this episode.

Ranking so far:
1. Dunces and Dragons (A+)
2. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (A+)
3. Krusty Towers (A+)
4. The Lost Mattress (A)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
6. Bummer Vacation (A)
7. Skill Crane (A)
8. Wishing You Well (A)
9. Patrick SmartPants (A)
10. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
11. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (B)
12. Ghost Host (B)
13. Once Bitten (B)
14. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
15. Chimps Ahoy (B)
16. Selling Out (B)
17. New Leaf (B)
18. Enemy In-Law (C)
19. Shell of a Man (C)
20. Whale of a Birthday (C)
21. SquidBob TentaclePants (C)
22. Funny Pants (D)
23. Karate Island (D)
24. Good Neighbors (E)
25. Wigstruck (E)
26. All That Glitters (F)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I'm surprised this episode ended up being really funny. It doesn't have much of a plot, but the humor is golden.

Great Episode (8.5/10)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I don't really like this one, due to how repetitive most of it is. Most of it is just everyone laughing at Spongebob because of his wig, which isn't very funny or entertaining to watch in the first place. Other than that, the episode is just kinda bland. There's some funny moments and good ideas, but it's mostly unremarkable and mediocre.

Average episode (5/10)

1. Dunces and Dragons (10)
2. Krusty Towers (10)
3. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
4. Wishing You Well (9)
5. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (8)
6. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
7. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
8. Patrick Smartpants (8)
9. Selling Out (8)
10. Shell of a Man (7)
11. The Lost Mattress (7)
12. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (7)
13. Karate Island (7)
14. Bummer Vacation (7)
15. Enemy-In-Law (7)
16. Skill Crane (7)
17. Chimps Ahoy (6)
18. Funny Pants (6)
19. Once Bitten (6)
20. Whale of a Birthday (6)
21. Squidbob Tentaclepants (5)
22. New Leaf (5)
23. Ghost Host (5)
24. Wigstruck (5)
25. Good Neighbors (4)
26. All That Glitters (3)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
An overhated one my friends. I always kinda liked this episode. The jokes were funny and gags were creative.

Rating: Great Episode

*Edit: I forgot the rating

Rankings:
Patrick SmartPants (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI The Motion Picture (Perfect)
Bummer Vacation (Amazing!)
Wishing You Well (Amazing!)
Krusty Towers (Amazing!)
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Once Bitten (Great)
Enemy In-Law (Great)
Wigstruck (Great)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
Chimps Ahoy (Great)
Karate Island (Great)
SquidBob TentaclePants (Great)
Whale of a Birthday (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Mrs. Puff Your'e Fired (Bad)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
New Leaf (Bad)
Ghost Host (Bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)
All That Glitters (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Ah "Wigstruck", now that's an episode I haven't watched in a long time. Until now, that is, because I did go ahead and rewatch it for the sake of this review, since I want my opinions to be accurate reflections. And again, I'm glad I did rewatch this episode. Not because my opinions changed, but because I can articulate them better now.

The main issue with this episode is that it's just not super funny, and it's also not super adventurous or has a compelling plot or anything like that, so it's just kind of dull. Even the design of the wig itself is just bland. It is ridiculous, so at least that comes across, but it's still bland. The beginning scene with the band making fun of the wig-wearing member is like...okay I guess. And then SpongeBob having the wig hit him in the face, and then him showing Patrick, that wasn't very funny. The Patrick part (with him beating SpongeBob up in an attempt to save him) went on too long. Honestly, that scene would've been way funnier if it happened like that scene in "Ghost Host" did, with Patrick opening up the rock, SpongeBob barely getting a few words out, and Patrick locking up tight. And then Patrick laughing at the wig took entirely too long, and we just kind of sit there watching Patrick kick and hit the ground while remaining on this same shot of him and SpongeBob, it's just boring. Also, Patrick better be laughing at the fact that the wig is ugly, not SpongeBob wearing a wig in general, or we're gonna have a problem, because what's wrong with wigs? Nothing, that's what, next. The condiment soak thing was kinda funny though, at the very least it's absurd and I like that it adds interest back into the scene.

SpongeBob walking through the town is equally unfunny. And also I have to wonder just where these people get their audacity. Even if SpongeBob did walk out the house looking a mess, why are all these fish so confident in insulting him to his face? smh. Also, being fresh off the heels of "Bummer Vacation", it's really weird to see SpongeBob completely disregard cooking safety and get wig hairs all over his spatula and the patties. I'm not like seriously mad about that or anything, but it is kind of annoying especially since "Bummer Vacation" is this episode's sister episode, so it's like night and day. And again, we're like 4 minutes into the episode by now and there's yet to be a moment that makes me truly laugh. So this is not a good sign.

Sandy comes into the episode without preamble, and I love the voice acting in the moment where she's like "prac...tice?" I don't know, something about the delivery feels super genuine haha. Carolyn Lawrence did real good here, like usual. And then yet again we spend entirely too long watching someone laugh at the wig. Okay first off, yes the wig is stupid but trust me it is not rolling on the floor laughing funny. And then spending that much time on someone laughing is rarely ever funny or even that entertaining, unless it's one of those laughing endings or something. Anyway, SpongeBob getting off-balance and falling actually is amusing, but then of course we see a bunch of people laughing again and I get bored and at this point annoyed.

The Ned and the Needlefish scenes are truly useless in this episode, I must say. Yes, they set up the wig, but it's a pointless B-plot that could've been written out, and then maybe more attention would've gone into making the main plot of the episode have an actual storyline. Because if we're not going to make the episode super funny, at least make it engaging instead of a bunch of failed gags. Anyway, Squidward trying to convince SpongeBob that everyone is laughing at him is just not entertaining on all fronts. Squidward himself is not funny, SpongeBob just feels...off (he is happy and optimistic in this episode, but not in a charming way, there's just something off about it. Maybe he's a bit too into himself this episode? Not sure), and also I don't know about y'all, but I don't want to see SpongeBob's spirit break when he realizes everyone's been making fun of him. And then we get "Patty Hype" but extremely unfunny and not compelling for a little bit when Mr. Krabs kicks SpongeBob out.

Sandy comes back, which surprised me honestly, I thought she was just gonna be there for that one scene. And again they keep mentioning the laughing like literally no one cares can we move on. I did like how she was like "we need to talk" though, that was good. The scene at the movie theater is meh which is the name of the game at this point. Nat tripping SpongeBob was uncalled for though and just annoyed me. And then SpongeBob shushing the guy went on too long like why. And then by this point SpongeBob is extremely full of himself for no reason, and it's annoying. Now I did like how everyone just had pitchforks and torches at the ready to start a riot. And oh my god everyone, we finally have the first moment that made me legitimately laugh with the ushers as everyone runs out the theater. It's a corny and cliche type joke, but I liked it.

And see, one thing I don't like in this episode is how everyone (like Sandy in particular, Squidward actually did kind of do this) acted like they explained to SpongeBob the exact problem with his wig. Like SpongeBob was definitely taking everyone's words the wrong way, but the dialogue in this episode was all weird and it felt like everyone was talking around the actual issue instead of just straight up saying that wig is disgusting and ruining the food quality, distracting and rude, and just ridiculous-looking. So SpongeBob learning his lesson in the end feels really abrupt. I will say, I did like how Sandy's like "hurry up" when SpongeBob starts saying a dramatic goodbye. I do like that Sandy is in this episode because it shows that she has use outside of her usual contexts. She frequently plays an advisory role to SpongeBob when they aren't sparring or competing, and this episode shows that. Because Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, none of them would've been good fits, except for perhaps Mr. Krabs. And at this point the other 4 main characters were still way too tied to their contexts (Mrs. Puff and Boating School, Pearl and Mr. Krabs/stereotypical teenager stuff, Karen + Plankton and the Chum Bucket) to be used here. So I like Sandy's inclusion.

Finally, the episode ends with the resolution of the B-plot, and with the irony that the wigs that SpongeBob had been being made fun of are now cool. Yep SpongeBob, you're a hipster before hipsters existed. And then the ending stinger with Patrick giving SpongeBob his nasty wig is...not really that funny. I may have found it funnier if it was in a different episode, but as it is I'm just like...meh.

Which is exactly how I was with this entire episode. "Wigstruck" is just meh. It's not super enjoyable and it is almost entirely not even funny except for literally 2, maybe 3 jokes. That's not good. And honestly, I'm struggling a lot to figure out where to put this episode. It's just boring and has no jokes to save it, and at a few points it does annoy me, even gets me a bit mad at one point. I think my biggest struggle is whether I'd put this episode lower than my lowest rated episode so far, "Good Neighbors". I don't think this episode is quite at that level, so I'll put it a little higher. Still in my (barely) "Tolerable" tier though.

Episode Tier: Tolerable
Episode Score:
4.4/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Ah "Wigstruck", now that's an episode I haven't watched in a long time. Until now, that is, because I did go ahead and rewatch it for the sake of this review, since I want my opinions to be accurate reflections. And again, I'm glad I did rewatch this episode. Not because my opinions changed, but because I can articulate them better now.

The main issue with this episode is that it's just not super funny, and it's also not super adventurous or has a compelling plot or anything like that, so it's just kind of dull. Even the design of the wig itself is just bland. It is ridiculous, so at least that comes across, but it's still bland. The beginning scene with the band making fun of the wig-wearing member is like...okay I guess. And then SpongeBob having the wig hit him in the face, and then him showing Patrick, that wasn't very funny. The Patrick part (with him beating SpongeBob up in an attempt to save him) went on too long. Honestly, that scene would've been way funnier if it happened like that scene in "Ghost Host" did, with Patrick opening up the rock, SpongeBob barely getting a few words out, and Patrick locking up tight. And then Patrick laughing at the wig took entirely too long, and we just kind of sit there watching Patrick kick and hit the ground while remaining on this same shot of him and SpongeBob, it's just boring. Also, Patrick better be laughing at the fact that the wig is ugly, not SpongeBob wearing a wig in general, or we're gonna have a problem, because what's wrong with wigs? Nothing, that's what, next. The condiment soak thing was kinda funny though, at the very least it's absurd and I like that it adds interest back into the scene.

SpongeBob walking through the town is equally unfunny. And also I have to wonder just where these people get their audacity. Even if SpongeBob did walk out the house looking a mess, why are all these fish so confident in insulting him to his face? smh. Also, being fresh off the heels of "Bummer Vacation", it's really weird to see SpongeBob completely disregard cooking safety and get wig hairs all over his spatula and the patties. I'm not like seriously mad about that or anything, but it is kind of annoying especially since "Bummer Vacation" is this episode's sister episode, so it's like night and day. And again, we're like 4 minutes into the episode by now and there's yet to be a moment that makes me truly laugh. So this is not a good sign.

Sandy comes into the episode without preamble, and I love the voice acting in the moment where she's like "prac...tice?" I don't know, something about the delivery feels super genuine haha. Carolyn Lawrence did real good here, like usual. And then yet again we spend entirely too long watching someone laugh at the wig. Okay first off, yes the wig is stupid but trust me it is not rolling on the floor laughing funny. And then spending that much time on someone laughing is rarely ever funny or even that entertaining, unless it's one of those laughing endings or something. Anyway, SpongeBob getting off-balance and falling actually is amusing, but then of course we see a bunch of people laughing again and I get bored and at this point annoyed.

The Ned and the Needlefish scenes are truly useless in this episode, I must say. Yes, they set up the wig, but it's a pointless B-plot that could've been written out, and then maybe more attention would've gone into making the main plot of the episode have an actual storyline. Because if we're not going to make the episode super funny, at least make it engaging instead of a bunch of failed gags. Anyway, Squidward trying to convince SpongeBob that everyone is laughing at him is just not entertaining on all fronts. Squidward himself is not funny, SpongeBob just feels...off (he is happy and optimistic in this episode, but not in a charming way, there's just something off about it. Maybe he's a bit too into himself this episode? Not sure), and also I don't know about y'all, but I don't want to see SpongeBob's spirit break when he realizes everyone's been making fun of him. And then we get "Patty Hype" but extremely unfunny and not compelling for a little bit when Mr. Krabs kicks SpongeBob out.

Sandy comes back, which surprised me honestly, I thought she was just gonna be there for that one scene. And again they keep mentioning the laughing like literally no one cares can we move on. I did like how she was like "we need to talk" though, that was good. The scene at the movie theater is meh which is the name of the game at this point. Nat tripping SpongeBob was uncalled for though and just annoyed me. And then SpongeBob shushing the guy went on too long like why. And then by this point SpongeBob is extremely full of himself for no reason, and it's annoying. Now I did like how everyone just had pitchforks and torches at the ready to start a riot. And oh my god everyone, we finally have the first moment that made me legitimately laugh with the ushers as everyone runs out the theater. It's a corny and cliche type joke, but I liked it.

And see, one thing I don't like in this episode is how everyone (like Sandy in particular, Squidward actually did kind of do this) acted like they explained to SpongeBob the exact problem with his wig. Like SpongeBob was definitely taking everyone's words the wrong way, but the dialogue in this episode was all weird and it felt like everyone was talking around the actual issue instead of just straight up saying that wig is disgusting and ruining the food quality, distracting and rude, and just ridiculous-looking. So SpongeBob learning his lesson in the end feels really abrupt. I will say, I did like how Sandy's like "hurry up" when SpongeBob starts saying a dramatic goodbye. I do like that Sandy is in this episode because it shows that she has use outside of her usual contexts. She frequently plays an advisory role to SpongeBob when they aren't sparring or competing, and this episode shows that. Because Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, none of them would've been good fits, except for perhaps Mr. Krabs. And at this point the other 4 main characters were still way too tied to their contexts (Mrs. Puff and Boating School, Pearl and Mr. Krabs/stereotypical teenager stuff, Karen + Plankton and the Chum Bucket) to be used here. So I like Sandy's inclusion.

Finally, the episode ends with the resolution of the B-plot, and with the irony that the wigs that SpongeBob had been being made fun of are now cool. Yep SpongeBob, you're a hipster before hipsters existed. And then the ending stinger with Patrick giving SpongeBob his nasty wig is...not really that funny. I may have found it funnier if it was in a different episode, but as it is I'm just like...meh.

Which is exactly how I was with this entire episode. "Wigstruck" is just meh. It's not super enjoyable and it is almost entirely not even funny except for literally 2, maybe 3 jokes. That's not good. And honestly, I'm struggling a lot to figure out where to put this episode. It's just boring and has no jokes to save it, and at a few points it does annoy me, even gets me a bit mad at one point. I think my biggest struggle is whether I'd put this episode lower than my lowest rated episode so far, "Good Neighbors". I don't think this episode is quite at that level, so I'll put it a little higher. Still in my (barely) "Tolerable" tier though.

Episode Tier: Tolerable
Episode Score: 4.4/10
one thing i like about this episode is how it shows how people only like something when it's the cool thing to like

distinctincident5624

Imitation Krab
This episode...is okay. I can see why some hate it but I just can't bring myself to agree. While the townspeople are pretty unlikeable here, there are still a lot of funny moments here and SpongeBob does technically get a happy, but weird ending. It's not one of the funniest episodes though and I will admit parts of it do drag a bit but I simply can't get myself to hate it.

6/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
At worst its boring and mean spirited at bests its a mediocre episode
  1. Have You Seen This Snail? (♾/10)
  2. Dunces And Dragons (30/10)
  3. Krusty Towers (20/10)
  4. Patrick Smartpants (15/10)
  5. Wishing You Well (14.5/10)
  6. Fear Of A Krabby Patty (10/10)
  7. Skill Crane (10/10)
  8. Ghost Host (10/10)