73a. New Leaf

ImAGoofyGooberRock

Goofy Goober
This along with Friend or Foe are great episodes about exploring Mr. Krabs and Plackton's relationship.

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
This was a strange episode. Always thought it was strange. It is kind of a Plankton torture episode though. 4/10

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 4

Episode: New Leaf

This episode was good. The plot was suprising. There were some mean spirited moments, but those didn't bother me that much. The ending was predictable and kinda a slap in the face. There were some funny jokes. 8/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Flawed but good episode. If I were to change anything it would make Mr. Krabs seem more genuine. The ending is what turned a great episode into a good episode for me, it isn't that bad, but it definitely hinders the emotion. However I still believe that while they might of faked it I think that scenes like the phone call were genuine as well as when Mr. Krabs regrets what he did, that seems genuine to me so I don't hate the ending too much, besides that there's some real-nice scenes with Mr. Krabs and Plankton bonding and some good dramatic moments.

7.5/10

NerdyKairi

Kairi is Back
New Leaf good episode, but not the best in season 4, I tolorate this episode more then it's sister episode, but i love the take on Plankton trying to get a New Leaf. 7/10

Also the sunset scene reminds of something, i don't know it's only me.

New Leaf is decent. It has its flaws, but it's still good. My only real gripe with this episode is how unfunny it is. But don't worry, there's a better Mr. Krabs and Plankton team up coming up later this season.

Ranking so far:
1. Dunces and Dragons (A+)
2. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (A+)
3. Krusty Towers (A+)
4. The Lost Mattress (A)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
6. Skill Crane (A)
7. Wishing You Well (A)
8. Patrick SmartPants (A)
9. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
10. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (B)
11. Ghost Host (B)
12. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
13. Chimps Ahoy (B)
14. Selling Out (B)
15. New Leaf (B)
16. Enemy In-Law (C)
17. Shell of a Man (C)
18. Whale of a Birthday (C)
19. SquidBob TentaclePants (C)
20. Funny Pants (D)
21. Karate Island (D)
22. Good Neighbors (E)
23. All That Glitters (F)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is the only bad episode of season 4. It's just really boring and the ending pretty much ruins the whole plot and there aren't many gags either. Best Frenemies is definitely the better episode.

Bad Episode (4/10)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I'm totally indecisive about this episode. I've watched it about 4 times and I can't for the life of me form a solid opinion on it. On one hand, there are sweet moments between Krabs and Plankton, and their character development is handled pretty realistically, but on the other hand, the whole thing feels incredibly melodramatic, and it feels like this episode was written for a completely different show. I feel like a story like this doesn't really work with the type of show Spongebob is, because if it was written for a show with actual continuity, then it would be fantastic. I don't know, for now I'll put it right in the middle, but that's entirely subject to change.

Average episode (5/10)

1. Dunces and Dragons (10)
2. Krusty Towers (10)
3. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
4. Wishing You Well (9)
5. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (8)
6. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
7. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
8. Patrick Smartpants (8)
9. Selling Out (8)
10. Shell of a Man (7)
11. The Lost Mattress (7)
12. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (7)
13. Karate Island (7)
14. Enemy-In-Law (7)
15. Skill Crane (7)
16. Chimps Ahoy (6)
17. Funny Pants (6)
18. Whale of a Birthday (6)
19. Squidbob Tentaclepants (5)
20. New Leaf (5)
21. Ghost Host (5)
22. Good Neighbors (4)
23. All That Glitters (3)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Like i said in my review for my bottom 25 these are the reason i hate it...

1. Once Bitten at least has a fitting title the title this episode is very misleading
  2. Once Bitten has jokes this episode seems to lack jokes which is extremely unfortunate
  3. Once Bitten has Character Torture done right I felt bad for Plankton in this episode...
  4. Once Bitten is entertaining this is boring
This episode isnt that bad is defiantly poor i feel the writers just rushed threw making this episode!

Final Rating: 3/10 Terrible

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is a pretty.. interesting episode. The main concept of it, being Plankton and Krabs loosen ties with eachother, does actually sound like a good concept, especially considering this was Season 4, they had to change up the formula in some way. I just think the execution is mixed. Let's start with the pacing. As soon as the episode starts, it really wants to let us know right out the gate that Plankton has turned over his "new leaf" and "surrendered". I'd usually prefer my stories to have a LITTLE bit of setup before the fundamental plot actually begins. This probably wouldn't be too much of an issue if the rest of the plot didn't move along at such a sluggish pace. It basically consists of Mr. Krabs stubbornly avoiding Plankton's attempts to ease his mind, and then breaking his knick-knacks, apologizing over the phone (which admittedly was successfully dramatic), and then "befriending" Plankton by spending time with him at the carnival. There's also that lame ending, which basically shows how static the writers have made Plankton and just feels like a big tease.
I know i've been pretty negative on this episode, and I apologize, but I just find it pretty annoying that they spent the entire episode building up on this one concept, only to can it once it ends. This episode has some genuinely serious moments that I did enjoy, as well as a couple good lines, which is why I don't think it's BAD, it's just pretty meh

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Like i said in my review for my bottom 25 these are the reason i hate it...

1. Once Bitten at least has a fitting title the title this episode is very misleading
  2. Once Bitten has jokes this episode seems to lack jokes which is extremely unfortunate
  3. Once Bitten has Character Torture done right I felt bad for Plankton in this episode...
  4. Once Bitten is entertaining this is boring
This episode isnt that bad is defiantly poor i feel the writers just rushed threw making this episode!

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
Patrick SmartPants (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI The Motion Picture (Perfect)
Wishing You Well (Amazing!)
Krusty Towers (Amazing!)
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Enemy In-Law (Great)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
Chimps Ahoy (Great)
Karate Island (Great)
SquidBob TentaclePants (Great)
Whale of a Birthday (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Mrs. Puff Your'e Fired (Bad)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
New Leaf (Bad)
Ghost Host (Bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)
All That Glitters (Terrible)

Pstar

A helicopter (formerly an idiot)
I always thought this was a special

7.5/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "New Leaf", yet another one of those episodes that I could've sworn was in season 5 (its sister episode, "Once Bitten", I feel even more strongly is in season 5 lol). Well, no matter what season it's actually in, I think this is a pretty enjoyable episode.

This episode has got to be up there in the episodes that take the littlest time to get the plot moving, because this episode literally begins with a binocular shot of Plankton waving a white flag and surrendering, which is the basic premise of this episode. I mean yeah, it takes a little longer for us to get the details of his (& much later Mr. Krabs') turning of a new leaf, but like Plankton's surrender is still the first step of his new leaf turning, so I'd say this episode's plot kicks into gear in like 2 seconds. Not that I'm one to complain about filler, but you know, I just thought this was fun to point out. Mr. Krabs' suspicion about Plankton's actions is entertaining to watch, and then Plankton's responding drama is great, not to mention a convincing show. I love the atmosphere inside the Chum Bucket, the little that we get, it sets up Plankton's reasoning nicely. And I love Plankton's idea to turn the Chum Bucket into a gift shop, it's so very out-there compared to our knowledge of Plankton. It's also kind of wholesome. Plankton's words are laid on perfectly thick (thinking of "Guard away, my ex-enemy. I'll just be here starting my new competition-free career."). I also love how literally SpongeBob follows Mr. Krabs' orders, it's a good visual gag.

Mr. Krabs' borderline paranoia is just really entertaining to watch (which is why I also like the episode "Plankton Paranoia") here. I love his whole speech to SpongeBob about how this is just another scheme, and how they'll just out-fake Plankton. It helps immensely that Mr. Krabs is able to play off the sincere SpongeBob, who takes Plankton at his word. And then there's the whole part where Mr. Krabs decides to throw a dance party to celebrate Plankton being done, and I think this whole segment is absolutely hilarious. SpongeBob on the DJ discs is clean as H, and I love how stupid everyone, especially Mr. Krabs, looks while dancing. Mr. Krabs threatening Squidward to dance or he's fired is also hilarious.

I just love the kind of role reversal in this episode, with Mr. Krabs being the one obsessed with Plankton (although the obsession has always been mutual, but Plankton's was always the one more focused on). I love Plankton's whole "those were the days" demeanor in the face of Mr. Krabs all amped up waiting for Plankton to try and steal the formula. And I love the whole delivery on "Problem? I don't have a problem! You're the one with a problem!" Clancy Brown knew the assignment. As did Mr. Lawrence when Plankton finally snaps at Mr. Krabs to get out. But seriously, this episode does a great job of actually being legitimately a little convincing with Plankton leaving the business. Mr. Krabs finally accepting that and literally crying in the middle of the road is actually so freaking funny like I can't.

And then we reach the kind of "part 2" of the episode. It's less funny than the first, but that's okay, because it's really engaging because of how wholesome it is. Even though we hadn't gotten to "Friend or Foe" by this point, it's still very enjoyable to watch Plankton and Mr. Krabs try to be friends (again). The phone call between Plankton and Mr. Krabs is excellent. I love the framing of Mr. Krabs on the bed, that's legitimately some artistry there. And I love how awkward it is. Feels like me when I call my friends lol (jk). Seeing the two then spend time together feels nice. I actually really like when Mr. Krabs and Plankton are on the same side. Obviously it works so well partly because they're almost always enemies, but I also think they complement each other well, which is why their dynamic as enemies works great.

And then of course we get the scene where Mr. Krabs decides to give Plankton the formula as a show of trust between them. Or at least...that's probably why. Mr. Krabs never actually says why he wants Plankton to take the formula other than "it would mean a lot to him"...perhaps this was a hint in disguise? It's such a small enough detail it could really go both ways. This scene ends with a gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous shot of Mr. Krabs and Plankton looking at the sunset, and then the episode cuts to black.

SIKE! I love the twist in this episode, even if it was predictable knowing the characters of Plankton and Mr. Krabs, because it was executed amazingly. The writers laid it on thick at just the right moments, and made the development of Mr. Krabs' and Plankton's friendship feel legitimate. Plankton's elation at his perceived victory is fun to watch. And you know what's even more fun to watch? Him opening the formula just to reveal a "GOTCHA! Love, Krabs" message. Because Plankton got got. Mr. Krabs beat him at his own game, just like he told SpongeBob he would. So yeah, brilliant writing with that one. I love Plankton's scream of frustration as the episode ends for real, it closes things out nicely.

"New Leaf" is a really fun watch. It's also interesting because so few characters appear in this episode. Like no background characters appear at all so it really is just Plankton, Krabs, SpongeBob, Squidward, and a cameo of Robot Krabs when Mr. Krabs throws Plankton's snowglobe in the back room (which also isn't that cool? that's the kind of reference an episode 10 years later would make). But anyway, I really like this episode. It's funny and emotional and just very well-written. A worthy addition to my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.3/10

Last edited:

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
One of the more overhated episodes mostly cuz of pgr stan's I really really like this one its funny and it has the squidterk scene my favorite scene1712685440969.png
  1. Have You Seen This Snail? (♾/10)
  2. Dunces And Dragons (30/10)
  3. Krusty Towers (20/10)
  4. Patrick Smartpants (15/10)
  5. Wishing You Well (14.5/10)
  6. Fear Of A Krabby Patty (10/10)
  7. Skill Crane (10/10)
  8. Ghost Host (10/10)
  9. Whale Of A Birthday (10/10)
  10. The Lost Mattress (10/10)
  11. New Leaf (10/10)
  12. Selling Out (9.5/10)