72b. Wishing You Well

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
So THIS was in season 4? Feels a lot like a season 3 really.

This episode is enjoyable. Just like Club Spongebob, That Sinking Feeling and Buried in Time, this episode has Squid abuse that's funny and not a chore to sit through. There's great gags and I like the plot. 9/10

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 4

Episode: Wishing You Well

This episode was fantastic. The plot was creative. The song was catchy. I felt little bad for Squidward, but it didn't bother me that much. There were many funny jokes. 9/10

ryanator20x6

Floating Shopping List
I forgot this even existed. Definitely fits within the category of "season 4 episodes that feel like season 3". It was really funny and strangely uplifting. Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidward's interaction in the well was very well written. 9/10

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
This episode is really good, I thought this was a pre-movie episode, because it certainly has the feel of a pre-movie epiosde. Anyways, there are a lot of funny gags in this episode. But I have only one problem with the episode...

WHY IS THIS PAIRED UP WITH ALL THAT GLITTERS?!?!?!?!?!?!?

On that note, this episode gets a...

9.5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I agree with everyone who says this feels like a season 3 episode. The jokes were really good and the characters were great interacting with each other inside the well. I even love the song, there's a ton of great comedy and moments. It's too bad it's paired up with an abomination.

9/10

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
Wow my favourite episode of the season is paired with my least favourite episode of the season? what a shame. Anyways this is a very humorous episode with a lot of funny jokes like "I might as well start now, after all I have a couple of dumbbells right here AHAHA!" and the claustrophobic gag, I think it's good that both of those gags are back to back. It also has one of my favourite songs of the series as well as a decent plot.

10/10

Season 4's best: a cute, bright, and hilarious tale about wishing wells. But really, this episode was excellent: it was funny and had brilliant writing and a well-structured story to it. I can't describe how good this episode is, the ending is also fantastic and funny! The song was also a really catchy tune with wonderful visuals to go with it. 10/10

A breath of fresh air after the horrible All That Glitters. This is what a SpongeBob episode should be. It's funny, it has a great plot, and Mr. Krabs gets his comeuppance in the end. What more could you ask for?

Ranking so far:
1. Dunces and Dragons (A+)
2. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (A+)
3. Krusty Towers (A+)
4. The Lost Mattress (A)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
6. Skill Crane (A)
7. Wishing You Well (A)
8. Patrick SmartPants (A)
9. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
10. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (B)
11. Ghost Host (B)
12. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
13. Chimps Ahoy (B)
14. Selling Out (B)
15. Enemy In-Law (C)
16. Shell of a Man (C)
17. Whale of a Birthday (C)
18. SquidBob TentaclePants (C)
19. Funny Pants (D)
20. Karate Island (D)
21. Good Neighbors (E)
22. All That Glitters (F)

coft

happy hopping moron
The claustrophobic gag is in like top 10 post movie gags, maybe even top 20 best PERIOD

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This is one of those episodes that's enjoyable from start to finish. It doesn't do any one thing outstandingly well, but it's just so... enjoyable. The plot is good, the comedy is good, the characters are good, the song is good, and it has a good moral. Everything about this episode just works so well. And the ending with Mr. Krabs is really funny.

Great episode (9/10)

1. Dunces and Dragons (10)
2. Krusty Towers (10)
3. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
4. Wishing You Well (9)
5. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (8)
6. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
7. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
8. Patrick Smartpants (8)
9. Selling Out (8)
10. Shell of a Man (7)
11. The Lost Mattress (7)
12. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (7)
13. Karate Island (7)
14. Enemy-In-Law (7)
15. Skill Crane (7)
16. Chimps Ahoy (6)
17. Funny Pants (6)
18. Whale of a Birthday (6)
19. Squidbob Tentaclepants (5)
20. Ghost Host (5)
21. Good Neighbors (4)
22. All That Glitters (3)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
old review

My 2nd favorite season 4 episode i really enjoyed it as if it were to be awesome! This is a big improvement to the highly abysmal All That Glitters!

Final Rating: 10/10 Amazing!

Last edited:

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is such a wholesome episode. It doesn't have that much comedy in it, but I believe the story makes up for it. I really liked Spongebob's portrayal in here, it makes perfect sense for him to believe the magic to be found in the well, and Mr. Krabs' plan of profiting from the well makes for a classic setup. Of course, the main source of jokes stem from Squidward putting up with Patrick, and these jokes are some of the best that post-movie Spongebob has to offer. I especially like that they brought back the potato salad gag. And let's not forget the songs. They are super catchy, with phenomenal tunes, and great uses of animation. The only thing that I don't like about the episode is the ending joke with Mr Krabs turning into someone's dinner. It kinda felt off to end an episode which was mainly filled with story, with a really dumb joke. But of course, that does not take away from anything else about the episode, because it is truly great, and one of the best of the season.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Why the hell was this paired with All that Glitters? But i actually really like this one. The jokes were solid and i had many at the jokes. Lets not forget the ending! The ending was so funny!

Rating: Amazing Episode

Rankings:
Patrick SmartPants (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI The Motion Picture (Perfect)
Wishing You Well (Amazing!)
Krusty Towers (Amazing!)
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Enemy In-Law (Great)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
Chimps Ahoy (Great)
Karate Island (Great)
SquidBob TentaclePants (Great)
Whale of a Birthday (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Mrs. Puff Your'e Fired (Bad)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
Ghost Host (Bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)
All That Glitters (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "Wishing You Well". This episode a clear improvement to its sister episode, that's for darn sure. I don't feel like doing much meandering today, so let's just get right into this episode, shall we?

So I like the beginning of this episode a lot. Mr. Krabs is being insanely cheap (not even cheap, just greedy), with his search for coins in payphones. Things get funny real quick with the scene between him and Martha. I love how she just hits Mr. Krabs in the face with her purse, go Martha go! This scene not only has that slapstick, but also has a clever joke in Mr. Krabs' retort about retirement money. And the episode also establishes its main idea very quickly with this scene, as Mr. Krabs bears witness to a wishing well. His dramatics about the money are as always amusing. I love how Mr. Krabs is like "wow this is a great scam", because that's definitely a...new way of looking at wishing wells. But now that makes me wonder how much money is thrown into wishing wells anyway. I mean like people usually don't go to the same ones multiple times right? And also they're usually just fountains at malls or something lmao, at least in my experience. I feel like much less money is earned from those things than you'd think. But whatever, this is SpongeBob SquarePants, I shouldn't question it!

Moving on, we've got a fun scene at the Krusty Krab, with a line that I quote and/or reference in some capacity so, so, so, so often with Squidward's "I'm not rushing perfection, I'm rushing you". That line is glorious. And then of course we have some great...irony? I don't know what to call it. With Squidward saying that at least he's not digging ditches, and then Mr. Krabs immediately assigning him and SpongeBob to dig the well. So that was pretty funny.

SpongeBob in this episode is adorable and perfect, I love how much of a believer in the magic he is. It makes me happy. And it makes perfect sense that he'd believe in the magic so strongly, it's SpongeBob after all. His endless optimism and whimsy is just so endearing, and that's why I love the little square dude so much. I also think that interaction between his ceaseless wonder and Squidward's staunch cynicism (as well as the little sprinkling of interactions with Mr. Krabs' greed) really drives this episode to a good place. The banter between SpongeBob, Squidward, and to a lesser extent Mr. Krabs is really enjoyable the times it pops up throughout the episode. You know, now that I'm thinking about it, this episode is very similar to "Krabby Land", except with more Squidward and less Mr. Krabs. Huh, interesting. Anyway, I also love SpongeBob's song which serves as a reminder of his character and a montage. It also has some nice visuals and visual gags in there as well.

Seeing everyone's wishes in this episode is also cool. If this was a season 1 episode, I'd talk about how each person's wish and way of presenting it shows a lot about their characters. That's still true even with this being a season 4 episode, but I feel like now that we're this far into the show, I don't really put as much emphasis on characteristic demonstrations. Is that a disservice? I don't know. I mostly talk about things in terms of how in-character they are, which is nearly the same thing. This has nothing to do with the review, it was just a tangent.

The next part of the episode introduces a new player: Patrick. Patrick is...just alright this episode. His entrance into the plot is fine I suppose, relying on his stupidity getting him inside the well. And this first little bit with him doesn't really make me laugh much. Like the "tag, you're it" thing was just kind of annoying more than anything. I do like SpongeBob's song reprise though. Things get better once Squidward comes around, since he'll be able to join in on the dynamic, but part of me does feel like this episode could've been strengthened by writing Patrick out of the plot entirely, and just adjusting some elements to get Squidward involved earlier. The other part of me is just fine with the plot the way it is. The banter between SpongeBob, Squidward, and Patrick is very fun anyway, including the famous "claustrophobic" bit. This episode also includes the rarer kind of dynamic between Patrick and Squidward where the dislike seems mutual, and that's always a treat to watch (when done correctly and fleetingly).

Once everyone is out of the well, I love seeing the magic work it's, well, magic. Squidward getting hit by a bus, granting his wish, is pretty funny, and I love that we get to see Sandy, Mrs. Puff, and even Plankton getting what they wished for. And then of course we have the great ending, with SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs, and Mr Krabs being cynical and greedy. The back and forth between them about whether magic is real is great, and then I love how it all ends, with Mr. Krabs wishing to be steamed and served with a slice of butter. This ending is hilariously morbid as Mr. Krabs is basically like "oh sh!t" and gets eaten alive lol. I also love the touch of the "The End" bib.

"Wishing You Well" is a fun episode, but it does have a few moments of nothing much happening, funny or otherwise. Other than that, there's some great interactions and dynamics here, as well as much-appreciated cameos of much of the main cast. There's nothing in this episode that I dislike either. So with all of that said, this episode fits nicely into my "Amazing" tier, because those moments I mentioned earlier are really not all that noticeable, which means my enjoyment of the episode isn't too much affected.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.2/10

Back