71b. Karate Island

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
This one was just meh. I didn't think it was amazing yet I didn't find it terrible like most other people. There's jokes here that don't really work and it's kind of just... Meh. There's amusing parts here at least so it's not the worst. 5/10

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 4

Episode: Karate Island

This episode was kinda bad. The plot was kinda lame. They didn't even use karate in this episode. I like the fact that Pat Morita (my favorite actor, he was the best in The Karate Kid movies) was a voice actor for the villain here. There were few funny jokes. 5/10

MissTree

Moby Dollar
The only good thing was Pat Morita's picture at the end, SO THEY TOOK IT OUT

FictionMagician

Imitation Krab
I'm not even going to address the fact that this episode was voted the best of the series, because I generally don't think those polls matter much anyway. Maybe this episode is popular with very young viewers and they went online to vote for this a million times? I think it might be the fight scenes that impressed some people. Then again, the theme of the episode is pretty unique, something that hadn't been done in the series before. Either way, it certainly isn't the worst episode or even close to the best episode, but it's pretty decent overall. Looking back at it, their really isn't a particularly funny moment at any point, but the whole thing is pleasant enough. Spongebob's constant arrogance towards Sandy and his own 'skill' is annoying, and unforunately it continues for about half the episode, but he realizes the error of his ways soon enough. The way Sandy has to progress through several levels of bad guys is amusing enough, and the fight scenes are surprisingly well done, considering the series isn't known for them. I liked how in one scene the character's mouths weren't synched with the dialogue, giving the impression we were watching a dubbed martial arts movie. And I take back what I said earlier: the ending, when it is revealed that the main baddie is just trying to sell condos, is pretty funny. Oddly, that joke probably went over the heads of all the little kids watching, and they are, as I mentioned, probably the ones who actally like Karate Island. At the very end, we find out who the next victim of the scam is going to be, and I couldn't help but wonder if we could've had a better episode if we had followed that character's story instead. Like I said, not a bad episode, but a mediocre one for the most part.

6/10

Ol Bold and Brash

Hu Tao stan
This episode gets way to much hate just for a very stupid reason but i find it really good I liked the fight scenes like Sandy and Udon and well spongebob was very jerky but I don't really care because he apologize to Sandy

Grade:8.5

Best Character:Sandy

Best Line:You're In The Soup Now Udon

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I don't know why people are still so salty over that Best Day Ever Poll. Anyways this is a pretty good episode with quite a few good jokes, a well told story, and has its fair share of entertaining fight scenes 8/10.

Pretty underrated episode for Season 4, the plot of this episode is intriguing: there's brilliant writing and SpongeBob's ego here, he learns his own lesson from it. What makes this even more entertaining is the intense fight scenes and a funny, climatic ending. 9.5/10

TheGreatServer

NOT a Bunny now!
Very good, Not the best but it's interesting, it has good humor, great plot, and it's just a nice episode.

7.5/10

Karate Island is not an episode I'm that fond of. SpongeBob is very unlikable here, and the "fighting" scenes felt like filler. The only good part was the fight scene at the end.

Ranking so far:
1. Dunces and Dragons (A+)
2. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (A+)
3. Krusty Towers (A+)
4. The Lost Mattress (A)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
6. Skill Crane (A)
7. Patrick SmartPants (A)
8. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
9. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (B)
10. Ghost Host (B)
11. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
12. Chimps Ahoy (B)
13. Selling Out (B)
14. Enemy In-Law (C)
15. Shell of a Man (C)
16. Whale of a Birthday (C)
17. SquidBob TentaclePants (C)
18. Funny Pants (D)
19. Karate Island (D)
20. Good Neighbors (E)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I quite enjoy this one. The atmosphere is great, and the fight scenes are pretty entertaining too. My only gripe about this episode is that the pacing feels a bit off at points, especially in the beginning, but the good parts of this episode far outweigh the bad imo. Also, the timeshare twist was pretty hilarious.

Good episode (7/10)

1. Dunces and Dragons (10)
2. Krusty Towers (10)
3. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
4. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (8)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
6. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
7. Patrick Smartpants (8)
8. Selling Out (8)
9. Shell of a Man (7)
10. The Lost Mattress (7)
11. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (7)
12. Karate Island (7)
13. Enemy-In-Law (7)
14. Skill Crane (7)
15. Chimps Ahoy (6)
16. Funny Pants (6)
17. Whale of a Birthday (6)
18. Squidbob Tentaclepants (5)
19. Ghost Host (5)
20. Good Neighbors (4)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one is falsely hated. This was a very fun episode and the fight scenes were really cool! But the bad quality was SpongeBob who was unlikable.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Patrick SmartPants (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI The Motion Picture (Perfect)
Krusty Towers (Amazing!)
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Enemy In-Law (Great)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
Chimps Ahoy (Great)
Karate Island (Great)
SquidBob TentaclePants (Great)
Whale of a Birthday (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Mrs. Puff Your'e Fired (Bad)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
Ghost Host (Bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I'll be real, I wasn't a fan of Spongebob's ego in this episode, especially considering he barely knows anything about karate, and for the first 1/3 of the episode or so, I'm just gonna be dealing with Spongebob bragging about how much "better" he is than Sandy. I will say that the twist of the Karate Island was well done, as well as the fight scenes with Sandy, so it's enough to make up for the lame Spongebob praising.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "Karate Island"! This is a very memorable episode for me. Not sure if it crosses into the realm of nostalgia, but it is an episode that sticks out to me. Does that mean it's exceptionally good? Well, no, but it surely isn't a bad episode, so let's just talk about it!

Now of course, y'all already know I love this beginning scene, because my boy Gary is here! I cannot stress enough how much of a win it is when Gary appears in any significant capacity (with certain exceptions, of course). But anyway this scene is fun and cute and has some great visual gags, and it helps set up the episode nicely with the mailman coming in while SpongeBob is cleaning Gary's shell. And then I love the dramatics as SpongeBob gets his mail, and how absolutely tired the mailman is of SpongeBob.

I also like that this episode is about karate, as it had been a minute since we've seen SpongeBob (and then Sandy) do karate or more action-oriented things like this. Coming pretty soon after "Chimps Ahoy" too is nice, because we're getting to see all facets of Sandy. And I love how Sandy gives SpongeBob's ego no time when she rightfully says that her karate is far better than his. I will say that SpongeBob is kind of annoying in this first part of the episode, with him having an inflated ego and trying to say that he is "king of karate" or whatever, especially once they get to the island. I oscillate between being able to ignore it and getting legitimately annoyed by it, so...not a good look, for SpongeBob or the episode. And I get it, it's hard to make main characters egotistical for an episode without them feeling really annoying and out of character, but dang I wish they'd get it right lmao. Anyway, I really like Sandy in this episode, because of what I just said before, and her concern for SpongeBob despite his annoying ego. Also, her Texas-isms were really on-point this episode (not that anyone from Texas talks like that, but they were pleasing to listen to lol).

Anyway, I love when the episode takes a turn with SpongeBob getting chained to his throne and Master Udon taking out a pen (menacingly). From here, the episode gets much, much better, because this is when Sandy comes back to save SpongeBob, giving us all sorts of entertaining action sequences. Also, I like how her plan was literally swimming back to Bikini Bottom lmao. But anyway, I love that Sandy without a single explanation (though it is lampshaded later) just waltzes right into the building looking like The Bride from Kill Bill. Given that this episode premiered decently close to when Kill Bill came out (kind of, I'm taking liberties), I'm wondering if the kids watching it understood that reference. Also, I love how this episode was referenced so heavily in The Cosmic Shake.

But anyway, I love the fight scenes Sandy has with The Tickler, Lipp Cervas (clever name), and Filthy Phil. All of these fights have excellent applications of puns and one-liners, with the kind of campy action atmosphere I love to see. Each fight also has specifically fun moments that I love. With the Tickler, I absolutely love the delivery on the jelly donuts line, I also think it's hilarious that jelly donuts are The Tickler's weakness lol. And then with Lipp Cervas, the chapped lips solution is genius, and I love the way the lips just break off lol. And on the theme of pretty smart writing, I love that Sandy was unaffected by Filthy Phil due to her air helmet.

And then once Sandy breaks through and gets to SpongeBob, I love how it turns out that this whole thing was a scheme for...real estate. It's just so nonsequitir and absurd that it's hilarious. All expectations are shattered and I adore it. I love how this episode gives no craps about going straight into legit real estate talk that I cannot understand haha. This really feels like an episode with plenty of entertainment value for the adults. And then of course we have the final fight, where both Master Udon and Sandy become super buff for no reason (well, Sandy's been buff, as we've seen in "MuscleBob BuffPants" haha) and get into a knockout drag out fight.

The ending of this episode is great too. I like that we see a resolution of SpongeBob's annoying ego in this episode by him apologizing and paying for his actions (given he almost fell for a real estate scheme). And then I love how when SpongeBob and Sandy are leaving, Sandy starts getting into a lecture about real estate lmao. Not you Sandy, not you! And then of course we've got the very last bit of the episode, where Squidward suddenly shows up, talking about being the King of Clarinets, while Master Udon looks on menacingly, despite having just fell into the ocean lol. That makes me wonder how the H did these people know that SpongeBob and Squidward were into karate and clarinet, respectively? Well, maybe Squidward's hobby is well-known. Who knows.

"Karate Island" is a fun, action-filled episode. The beginning of the episode is a bit weak with SpongeBob's ego getting pretty annoying especially once we reach the island, but that gets resolved real quick when Master Udon's plan reveals itself, and we spend the rest of the episode with Sandy and her fun fights. So I think this episode fits nicely into my "Great" tier, because I typically can get past the annoying SpongeBob stuff in favor for the rest.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.5/10

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
I know everything about the best day ever marathon and karate island winning but its not because it was rigged it was at top because it was part of a 21 way tie or something for but its a good episode not the best season 4 episode but still one of the decent ones

Back