71a. Whale of a Birthday

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
Not too big of a fan on this one. Mr. Krabs is SO cheap he can't afford a cake. I guess that's made up for the fact that Spongebob spent so much money on Mr. Krabs credit card. It's weird how Squidward is actually a big fan of Boys Who Cry. 5/10

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 4

Episode: Whale of a Birthday

This episode was very good. The plot was decent, though. Mr Krabs was kinda cheap here, but it didn't bother me that much. There were many funny jokes. 8.5/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
OK, please don't judge me , but..I REALLY LIKE THIS EPISODE :P
I don't give it a 10 because I don't think it's like a PERFECT episode but this episode is quite nice! :clapping:
I really really like the ''4Ply'' song sung by Squidward (I found the scene hilarious when Pearl and the other girls throw the patty sculpture at Squidward) , and I really like how generous SpongeBob was (I mean he got Pearl LOADS of presents :D )
I also like the scene at the Krusty Krab ; ''It tastes like dishwater'' ''It is dishwater..'' I laughed at that :P :bowdown: :thumb1:
Oh and Mr.Krabs was generous too!!! I mean at the end he could have killed SpongeBob for getting Pearl THAT AMOUNT of gifts but he just said ''Don't push your luck boy'' :P It's a really good episode :yes: I give it a 9/10 . (I wish this episode's sister episode was ''Wishing you Well'' these episodes were REALLY GOOD :clapping: )

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Mr. Krabs is definitely on the unlikable side but I like this episode. It's very funny and Mr. Krabs got his comeuppance anyways. Squidward was OOC but his dance still made me laugh anyways, good episode.

8/10

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
I swear are me and PGR the only ones who hate this episode? There's nothing funny about it at all, Pearl's a whiny brat, Krabs is a complete cheapskate, Squidward is OOC and poor SpongeBob is once again a doormat, I have nothing but hatred for this episode and it is more overrated than Band Geeks! Yes I said it!

1/10

Mr. Krabs being cheap really brought out laughs from me, it is nice to get a Pearl episode as a refreshment from the usual episodes involving the KK/Plankton. This was a fun episode following SpongeBob getting all those presents for a pleasant ending with a satisfied Pearl on her 16th birthday (and they got Boys Who Cry!) 10/10

Many people say that the second half of Season 4 is worse than the first half, and I can't say I disagree. Whale of a Birthday was a really bland episode. Not much really stands out besides "Boys Who Cry". And Mr. Krabs is on the unlikeable side here. Again.

Ranking so far:
1. Dunces and Dragons (A+)
2. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (A+)
3. Krusty Towers (A+)
4. The Lost Mattress (A)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
6. Skill Crane (A)
7. Patrick SmartPants (A)
8. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
9. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (B)
10. Ghost Host (B)
11. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
12. Chimps Ahoy (B)
13. Selling Out (B)
14. Enemy In-Law (C)
15. Shell of a Man (C)
16. Whale of a Birthday (C)
17. SquidBob TentaclePants (C)
18. Funny Pants (D)
19. Good Neighbors (E)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one is okay. There are some alright jokes, and I actually really like the plot. I think it could've been executed better though, because the episode sort of drags near the middle. Also, I think Mr. Krabs borders on the line of being just a little too unlikeable here, but at least he got his comeuppance for it in the end. Boys Who Cry is pretty good though.

Average episode (6/10)

1. Dunces and Dragons (10)
2. Krusty Towers (10)
3. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
4. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (8)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
6. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
7. Patrick Smartpants (8)
8. Selling Out (8)
9. Shell of a Man (7)
10. The Lost Mattress (7)
11. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (7)
12. Enemy-In-Law (7)
13. Skill Crane (7)
14. Chimps Ahoy (6)
15. Funny Pants (6)
16. Whale of a Birthday (6)
17. Squidbob Tentaclepants (5)
18. Ghost Host (5)
19. Good Neighbors (4)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I thought this one was pretty good. Sure Mr. Krabs was unlikable as usual but it had some decent jokes.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Patrick SmartPants (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI The Motion Picture (Perfect)
Krusty Towers (Amazing!)
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Enemy In-Law (Great)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
Chimps Ahoy (Great)
SquidBob TentaclePants (Great)
Whale of a Birthday (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Mrs. Puff Your'e Fired (Bad)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
Ghost Host (Bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "Whale of a Birthday"! Man, if I thought some of these last few episodes were divisive then whew, we got another thing coming for this one. This episode is nowhere near as infamous as "Good Neighbors", but it ain't generally liked, that's for sure. At least, there's a significant portion of the fanbase/people who watch SpongeBob (because some people ain't fans) who dislike this episode a lot. And then there's a lot of people who do like this episode. You can even just look at the comments above mine to see proof of both of these. As for me, I generally like this episode, but that's not to say it's without its issues, so let's discuss!

I'm gonna start things off a little differently today and begin with the bad first, because I think if I start with the bad then it will make more sense how the good redeems the bad at least somewhat.

Okay so let's not beat around the bush. The main bad of this episode is...it's not super funny. Wait what? I know what y'all are thinking, "hello, Mr. Krabs??" and to that I say we'll get to that in a moment. Meanwhile, I'll talk about how this episode isn't super funny which docks some points off of its score. This episode never gets boring at any point, but like there's a lot of middling moments. Like when SpongeBob is following Pearl around at the mall (though there are some fun gags in there, like with the seahorse), or the scene between Pearl and Mr. Krabs at the beginning, or when Squidward and Mr. Krabs are setting up at the Krusty Krab. None of these scenes are full to the brim with great comedy, and they aren't particularly engaging, so that's a little meh. But there's also plenty of great jokes in this episode too. Like Squidward's entire performance, or at the beginning of the epsiode when Pearl jumps through the floor and Mr. Krabs is like "you sure you don't want a room on the ground floor", or like the flashback of the previous parties Pearl has had. So the humor is an issue, but it's not an episode-ruiner.

Now, let me just get this elephant in the room out of the way. Prepare for a lot of ranting. Let's talk about Mr. Krabs.

I think people really, really overreact about Mr. Krabs in this episode. Because I agree that he starts off very unpleasant, which sours the first part of this episode, but he's fine by the end of the episode and I feel like people gloss over that. Like frankly this episode is about his and Pearl's relationship, and while I wouldn't say an arc happens over the course of these 11 minutes, I think there's some kind of change in that relationship between the beginning and end of the episode. At the beginning of this episode, Mr. Krabs is crass and dismissive of Pearl and her birthday. Yeah, he's not winning any father of the year awards by quite literally forgetting his daughter's birthday and age, and then later trying to cheap out. But like...he's not on the level of some of the worst fathers in animation. Like even if he is trying to be cheap (other than him sending SpongeBob to get Pearl's gift, which I'll get to in a moment), he is at least trying to give her a birthday party he thinks she'll enjoy. The problem is that he doesn't know his daughter and puts being cheap above going all out. Really, I think he thinks that Pearl wants to be as cheap as him. And so that makes his actions (in this episode at least), much more forgivable. And when Pearl runs off after seeing Mr. Krabs' cheap display, he goes after her immediately and at least tries to comfort her.

Mr. Krabs is a selfish person, but he's not an absolute monster of a father that some people try to say he is. There's a gray area between father of the year and worst father ever, and he fits right in that. And also, like I said earlier, he sends SpongeBob to go get Pearl's gift, saying that nothing is too good for his daughter. And even when SpongeBob comes back with a lot of expensive gifts, he doesn't really react as negatively as you'd think based on how some people talk about this episode. Like he's mad, but that anger almost entirely disappears when Pearl shows her happiness at the gifts, which I think is cute. And when SpongeBob calls Mr. Krabs a good dad, all he says is don't push your luck. So I really don't have many problems with Mr. Krabs in this episode, and I don't think he was any worse than he was in "Squeaky Boots".

And now, the good! Well firstly, I like that this is a Pearl-focused episode, because that had been long-overdue. Last one was "Bossy Boots", if I remember correctly. No matter how you feel about this character, the fact is she's a main character, so her having such little episodes devoted to her is criminal. I'm telling y'all, it really don't look good for this show when it comes to their girl and women characters, but that's a conversation for another time. So anyway, I like that this episode is about Pearl, and I like Pearl in this episode too. I like that she stands her ground with Mr. Krabs and is like "you're not going to ruin my birthday this year".

This episode also ends satisfyingly, with Pearl getting everything she wanted for her birthday. Yeah, it was SpongeBob that made it possible, but it was still wholesome to me seeing Pearl express her joy at all the gifts towards Mr. Krabs anyway. I mean, technically SpongeBob did all of this on Mr. Krabs' orders (and dime) so...

In general, "Whale of a Birthday" is just an enjoyable episode to watch. It's not hugely funny, but it is engaging, especially because it gets me invested in Mr. Krabs' and Pearl's relationship, and Pearl's birthday celebration, very quickly, so I want everything to turn out okay, which it does in the end! That's why I like this episode, and why it's in my "Good" tier. If it was funnier, it would've been in "Great" for sure, but I've gotta have some kinda standards around here.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.8/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up, we've got "Whale of a Birthday"! Man, if I thought some of these last few episodes were divisive then whew, we got another thing coming for this one. This episode is nowhere near as infamous as "Good Neighbors", but it ain't generally liked, that's for sure. At least, there's a significant portion of the fanbase/people who watch SpongeBob (because some people ain't fans) who dislike this episode a lot. And then there's a lot of people who do like this episode. You can even just look at the comments above mine to see proof of both of these. As for me, I generally like this episode, but that's not to say it's without its issues, so let's discuss!

I'm gonna start things off a little differently today and begin with the bad first, because I think if I start with the bad then it will make more sense how the good redeems the bad at least somewhat.

Okay so let's not beat around the bush. The main bad of this episode is...it's not super funny. Wait what? I know what y'all are thinking, "hello, Mr. Krabs??" and to that I say we'll get to that in a moment. Meanwhile, I'll talk about how this episode isn't super funny which docks some points off of its score. This episode never gets boring at any point, but like there's a lot of middling moments. Like when SpongeBob is following Pearl around at the mall (though there are some fun gags in there, like with the seahorse), or the scene between Pearl and Mr. Krabs at the beginning, or when Squidward and Mr. Krabs are setting up at the Krusty Krab. None of these scenes are full to the brim with great comedy, and they aren't particularly engaging, so that's a little meh. But there's also plenty of great jokes in this episode too. Like Squidward's entire performance, or at the beginning of the epsiode when Pearl jumps through the floor and Mr. Krabs is like "you sure you don't want a room on the ground floor", or like the flashback of the previous parties Pearl has had. So the humor is an issue, but it's not an episode-ruiner.

Now, let me just get this elephant in the room out of the way. Prepare for a lot of ranting. Let's talk about Mr. Krabs.

I think people really, really overreact about Mr. Krabs in this episode. Because I agree that he starts off very unpleasant, which sours the first part of this episode, but he's fine by the end of the episode and I feel like people gloss over that. Like frankly this episode is about his and Pearl's relationship, and while I wouldn't say an arc happens over the course of these 11 minutes, I think there's some kind of change in that relationship between the beginning and end of the episode. At the beginning of this episode, Mr. Krabs is crass and dismissive of Pearl and her birthday. Yeah, he's not winning any father of the year awards by quite literally forgetting his daughter's birthday and age, and then later trying to cheap out. But like...he's not on the level of some of the worst fathers in animation. Like even if he is trying to be cheap (other than him sending SpongeBob to get Pearl's gift, which I'll get to in a moment), he is at least trying to give her a birthday party he thinks she'll enjoy. The problem is that he doesn't know his daughter and puts being cheap above going all out. Really, I think he thinks that Pearl wants to be as cheap as him. And so that makes his actions (in this episode at least), much more forgivable. And when Pearl runs off after seeing Mr. Krabs' cheap display, he goes after her immediately and at least tries to comfort her.

Mr. Krabs is a selfish person, but he's not an absolute monster of a father that some people try to say he is. There's a gray area between father of the year and worst father ever, and he fits right in that. And also, like I said earlier, he sends SpongeBob to go get Pearl's gift, saying that nothing is too good for his daughter. And even when SpongeBob comes back with a lot of expensive gifts, he doesn't really react as negatively as you'd think based on how some people talk about this episode. Like he's mad, but that anger almost entirely disappears when Pearl shows her happiness at the gifts, which I think is cute. And when SpongeBob calls Mr. Krabs a good dad, all he says is don't push your luck. So I really don't have many problems with Mr. Krabs in this episode, and I don't think he was any worse than he was in "Squeaky Boots".

And now, the good! Well firstly, I like that this is a Pearl-focused episode, because that had been long-overdue. Last one was "Bossy Boots", if I remember correctly. No matter how you feel about this character, the fact is she's a main character, so her having such little episodes devoted to her is criminal. I'm telling y'all, it really don't look good for this show when it comes to their girl and women characters, but that's a conversation for another time. So anyway, I like that this episode is about Pearl, and I like Pearl in this episode too. I like that she stands her ground with Mr. Krabs and is like "you're not going to ruin my birthday this year".

This episode also ends satisfyingly, with Pearl getting everything she wanted for her birthday. Yeah, it was SpongeBob that made it possible, but it was still wholesome to me seeing Pearl express her joy at all the gifts towards Mr. Krabs anyway. I mean, technically SpongeBob did all of this on Mr. Krabs' orders (and dime) so...

In general, "Whale of a Birthday" is just an enjoyable episode to watch. It's not hugely funny, but it is engaging, especially because it gets me invested in Mr. Krabs' and Pearl's relationship, and Pearl's birthday celebration, very quickly, so I want everything to turn out okay, which it does in the end! That's why I like this episode, and why it's in my "Good" tier. If it was funnier, it would've been in "Great" for sure, but I've gotta have some kinda standards around here.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score: 7.8/10
''quick how do you spell krabs''

''i think it has a ''b'' in it''

this joke was funny lol

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
I've heard before that Squidward is only pretending to like Boys Who Cry in this episode. Does anyone know anything about this? I always thought he actually liked them before.

Back