70b. Ghost Host

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
Not many episodes in my opinion are downright stupid, but this one is. Its probably the episode I've seen the least. Stupid and repetitive, fillers, and not funny at all. Turning the Dutchman into a deadbeat was not fun to see at all

TheGreatServer

NOT a Bunny now!
Decent, boring, lacks any really good humor, and just isn't great, but i do lke the atmosphere and i like The Flying Dutchman here.

6.5/10

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
What I consider to be the last episode you watch of Season 4, before going into the other part of it (or watch the Wishing You Well expansion ether way). The episode itself is mediocre, and not the best portrayal of the Flying Dutchman, but it has a few OK aspects, not a bad episode.

hippythehippo

Banished
FinnDinner said:
What I consider to be the last episode you watch of Season 4, before going into the other part of it (or watch the Wishing You Well expansion ether way). The episode itself is mediocre, and not the best portrayal of the Flying Dutchman, but it has a few OK aspects, not a bad episode.
What did you not like about it???

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
hippythehippo said:
What did you not like about it???
There's not actually much I do not like per say, a lot of it just wasn't really too funny for me, and it reminds me of a bunch of episodes I'd prefer to watch over it like Can You Spare a Dime, Scaredy Pants, or Shanghaied. I do love the idea of spookiness getting old over time, but it felt quite a bit like the aforementioned episodes just a little bit too much, so I don't give the plot AS MUCH credit as I would with a better episode. Also Squidward not believing in ghosts is kind of a stretch to break continuity. The jokes are OK and the plot is also OK, so I say the entire thing is just OK.

This episode isn't one I'd consider for "Best Season 4 Episodes" but it's not bad either. It's funny, got a great plot, but the only thing holding this one back are the visuals. I don't really like 'em.

Ranking so far:
1. Dunces and Dragons (A+)
2. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (A+)
3. Krusty Towers (A+)
4. The Lost Mattress (A)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
6. Skill Crane (A)
7. Patrick SmartPants (A)
8. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
9. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (B)
10. Ghost Host (B)
11. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
12. Chimps Ahoy (B)
13. Selling Out (B)
14. Enemy In-Law (C)
15. Shell of a Man (C)
16. SquidBob TentaclePants (C)
17. Funny Pants (D)
18. Good Neighbors (E)

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
Funny story about this one. When my shadow self, Yuuki, saw this episode for the first time in 2006, and it got to the part where Squidward sees the giant SpongeBob breathing heavily and rocking, her mom was like, "THAT'S WHAT YOU DO, YUUKI!" Because Yuuki, when she was young, used to do the SAME EXACT THING. She has autism and couldn't sit still as well as most people, and for the heavy breathing part, she has no idea where that came from. But anyway, Yuuki said it sounded JUST LIKE HOW SHE DID IT and she and her mom could not stop laughing!

Also, Yuuki said how she did it was cute, and she found how SpongeBob did it cute, but she could see how others could find it creepy.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
It was kinda dumb how the Flying Dutchman took advantage of SpongeBob like that!

And the part where the Dutchman was watching a tape about self-awareness and they repeated the words "The power within!" NUMEROUS times was weird too

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This episode used to freak me out quite alot as a kid. The visuals are really wicked in this episode, and they're my favorite part of the episode by far. Besides that, this episode is just kind of mediocre. There weren't a lot of jokes, and the Flying Dutchman was pretty annoying here. I'd actually go as far as to say that this is my least favorite appearance of his thus far. I will say that the ending with Squidward was absolutely hilarious to me, even if he really didn't do anything to deserve it.

Average episode (5/10)

1. Dunces and Dragons (10)
2. Krusty Towers (10)
3. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
4. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (8)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
6. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
7. Patrick Smartpants (8)
8. Selling Out (8)
9. Shell of a Man (7)
10. The Lost Mattress (7)
11. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (7)
12. Enemy-In-Law (7)
13. Skill Crane (7)
14. Chimps Ahoy (6)
15. Funny Pants (6)
16. Squidbob Tentaclepants (5)
17. Ghost Host (5)
18. Good Neighbors (4)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Aside from the really awesome visuals, I think this episode is kinda dull. It doesn't really have much comedy aside from Squidward's freakout sequence, and the plot isn't particularly strong. Not bad, just okay

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This has to be one of the show's most strangest episodes. I dont really like this episode though. Its disturbing and lacks jokes. The ending was bad and the Flying Dutchman was okay here. There are only 2 redeeming qualities that unimpressed spongebob meme and the punched face squidward meme.

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
Patrick SmartPants (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI The Motion Picture (Perfect)
Krusty Towers (Amazing!)
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Enemy In-Law (Great)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
Chimps Ahoy (Great)
SquidBob TentaclePants (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Mrs. Puff Your'e Fired (Bad)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
Ghost Host (Bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "Ghost Host", a massively underrated episode in my opinion. Because this episode is just a great time. And it's another one of those episodes that's really nostalgic for me for no apparent reason. This time, I'm thinking it could be because I always liked this episode, and so I would watch it more than other ones, which means I developed all those good childhood memories with it, but that's just my theory. I don't know for sure. But as always, nostalgia isn't what drives my reviews. It informs. And right now it's informing me that I'm reviewing an episode I quite enjoy. So let's discuss!

First up, this episode is a Flying Dutchman episode, which means I'm already excited because I love the Flying Dutchman and I've been missing him, since he hasn't appeared since "Born Again Krabs". And then secondly, this episode has a plot that's got some pretty key similarities to "Can You Spare A Dime?", which you might remember is my second favorite episode of all time! So that's a treat for me, and I'll be diving into at least one of these important similarities in a bit.

One thing I really like about this episode is that it's chock-full of great character interactions and dynamics, especially between the Flying Dutchman and SpongeBob. Remember how I said this episode's got some important similarities to "Can You Spare a Dime?" Well one of those important similarities is SpongeBob's character. See, one of the things I absolutely adored in that episode is SpongeBob finally flipping his lid at Squidward (and Mr. Krabs). Well, guess what SpongeBob does here after the Flying Dutchman starts trashing his home? Yep, the kind of dramatic rage pulling from "Can You Spare a Dime?" and "Rock-A-Bye Bivalve" is present in this episode, with SpongeBob completely snapping when he comes home to find the Flying Dutchman and his friends trashing his house. His shouting at the ghost is amazing, and as per usual, Tom Kenny went off on that. And then I love SpongeBob's determination to get the Flying Dutchman back on his feet. It's almost like he learned from what happened with Squidward in "Can You Spare a Dime?", not passively waiting for the Flying Dutchman to return to form, but actively helping him (it only took him a few months, not 'so much later that the old narrator got tired of waiting and they had to hire a new one', so I'd say this is an improvement). Also I love how Squidward is brought into this episode only to have the life scared out of him. I think it's hilarious that SpongeBob decided that he should be the one the Flying Dutchman went after. See, my "Can You Spare a Dime?" being legit connected to this episode theory is gaining traction!

SpongeBob also has some other really great character moments in this episode. Like I love how when the Dutchman first shows up, he gets super protective over Gary. Y'all know I love some Gary and SpongeBob, so of course I have to point this out. And then I love when SpongeBob slowly gets completely bored of the Flying Dutchman's scare tactics, especially when he's literally like "are you done".

The next thing I really like about this episode is that it's funny. First off, it's innately hilarious to me that the Flying Dutchman crashes at SpongeBob's place. I don't know why but the idea is just humorous to me. And then we've got lots of great gags in here as well. Such as when the Flying Dutchman first shows up and SpongeBob goes over to Squidward's place for help, and he ends up knocking his head in. Squidward's ensuing line is said with such masterful vitriol as well. I also love how Patrick shows up for literally one second just to leave SpongeBob to the wolves lmao. The whole power within thing is hilarious as well. And then I love when the Flying Dutchman and his friends are trashing up SpongeBob's place, and the Flying Dutchman talks to Nancy and she is like "is that a wedding ring", like that was really funny to me. And then of course we've got the ending of this episode, with the reveal that the Flying Dutchman's ship has been fixed for a while, and then SpongeBob getting eaten by a monster in a gift box lol. I love how he's just like "Good 'ol Dutchie!". Even rooming with a ghost for months can't get rid of this little guy's endless joy.

"Ghost Host" is also just full of some great visuals. Like every time the Dutchman scares (or tries to scare) someone, the designs and animation are super amazing and impressive. And they really went off with making certain segments of this episode both humorous and scary, particularly with the nightmare the Flying Dutchman creates for Squidward.

I just really like "Ghost Host" and I have no problems with it. I talked about how the episode is funny, but I do want to point out that it is not particularly so. I more enjoy this episode for the cool visuals and fun plot rather than the jokes. That's not really a common occurrence for me, but it's not uncommon either. I can dig a good story even in a comedic cartoon. And all of this is why this episode is in my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up, we've got "Ghost Host", a massively underrated episode in my opinion. Because this episode is just a great time. And it's another one of those episodes that's really nostalgic for me for no apparent reason. This time, I'm thinking it could be because I always liked this episode, and so I would watch it more than other ones, which means I developed all those good childhood memories with it, but that's just my theory. I don't know for sure. But as always, nostalgia isn't what drives my reviews. It informs. And right now it's informing me that I'm reviewing an episode I quite enjoy. So let's discuss!

First up, this episode is a Flying Dutchman episode, which means I'm already excited because I love the Flying Dutchman and I've been missing him, since he hasn't appeared since "Born Again Krabs". And then secondly, this episode has a plot that's got some pretty key similarities to "Can You Spare A Dime?", which you might remember is my second favorite episode of all time! So that's a treat for me, and I'll be diving into at least one of these important similarities in a bit.

One thing I really like about this episode is that it's chock-full of great character interactions and dynamics, especially between the Flying Dutchman and SpongeBob. Remember how I said this episode's got some important similarities to "Can You Spare a Dime?" Well one of those important similarities is SpongeBob's character. See, one of the things I absolutely adored in that episode is SpongeBob finally flipping his lid at Squidward (and Mr. Krabs). Well, guess what SpongeBob does here after the Flying Dutchman starts trashing his home? Yep, the kind of dramatic rage pulling from "Can You Spare a Dime?" and "Rock-A-Bye Bivalve" is present in this episode, with SpongeBob completely snapping when he comes home to find the Flying Dutchman and his friends trashing his house. His shouting at the ghost is amazing, and as per usual, Tom Kenny went off on that. And then I love SpongeBob's determination to get the Flying Dutchman back on his feet. It's almost like he learned from what happened with Squidward in "Can You Spare a Dime?", not passively waiting for the Flying Dutchman to return to form, but actively helping him (it only took him a few months, not 'so much later that the old narrator got tired of waiting and they had to hire a new one', so I'd say this is an improvement). Also I love how Squidward is brought into this episode only to have the life scared out of him. I think it's hilarious that SpongeBob decided that he should be the one the Flying Dutchman went after. See, my "Can You Spare a Dime?" being legit connected to this episode theory is gaining traction!

SpongeBob also has some other really great character moments in this episode. Like I love how when the Dutchman first shows up, he gets super protective over Gary. Y'all know I love some Gary and SpongeBob, so of course I have to point this out. And then I love when SpongeBob slowly gets completely bored of the Flying Dutchman's scare tactics, especially when he's literally like "are you done".

The next thing I really like about this episode is that it's funny. First off, it's innately hilarious to me that the Flying Dutchman crashes at SpongeBob's place. I don't know why but the idea is just humorous to me. And then we've got lots of great gags in here as well. Such as when the Flying Dutchman first shows up and SpongeBob goes over to Squidward's place for help, and he ends up knocking his head in. Squidward's ensuing line is said with such masterful vitriol as well. I also love how Patrick shows up for literally one second just to leave SpongeBob to the wolves lmao. The whole power within thing is hilarious as well. And then I love when the Flying Dutchman and his friends are trashing up SpongeBob's place, and the Flying Dutchman talks to Nancy and she is like "is that a wedding ring", like that was really funny to me. And then of course we've got the ending of this episode, with the reveal that the Flying Dutchman's ship has been fixed for a while, and then SpongeBob getting eaten by a monster in a gift box lol. I love how he's just like "Good 'ol Dutchie!". Even rooming with a ghost for months can't get rid of this little guy's endless joy.

"Ghost Host" is also just full of some great visuals. Like every time the Dutchman scares (or tries to scare) someone, the designs and animation are super amazing and impressive. And they really went off with making certain segments of this episode both humorous and scary, particularly with the nightmare the Flying Dutchman creates for Squidward.

I just really like "Ghost Host" and I have no problems with it. I talked about how the episode is funny, but I do want to point out that it is not particularly so. I more enjoy this episode for the cool visuals and fun plot rather than the jokes. That's not really a common occurrence for me, but it's not uncommon either. I can dig a good story even in a comedic cartoon. And all of this is why this episode is in my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10
the transformation scene, gave me nightmares o_O

also again spongebob acts pre-movie here, proving that his old personality lasted more than people think

Last edited:

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
The power within The power within The power within The power within The power within The power within THE POWER WITHIN!

Back