69b. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
Very fun episode. I loved the part where the drill Sargent throws 2 kids through the door, and some really good gags here! 9/10

SUS

Moby Dollar
Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­t
While not as good as its sister episode (Krusty Towers), I feel that this episode is really overshadowed by it. It has some good gags and that Drill Sergeant character has some interesting chemistry.

8/10

Also, I just noticed that this episode takes a lot of inspiration from the Rocko's Modern Life episode Skid Marks.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I love the drill instructor character and the plot, it's very entertaining. Might be my favorite boating school episode.

9/10

I don't know what it is about this episode, whether it's the plot, the humor, or just the episode in general, but this episode is amazing. It was a while before I first saw it, but after seeing it, I adored it, and I couldn't stop watching it. Not only is this my favorite episode in Season 4, or my favorite episode of the post-movie era, Mrs. Puff, You're Fired is my favorite episode of SpongeBob SquarePants of all time.

Airdate: April 1, 2006

jack_of_all_traids said:
I don't know what it is about this episode, whether it's the plot, the humor, or just the episode in general, but this episode is amazing. It was a while before I first saw it, but after seeing it, I adored it, and I couldn't stop watching it. Not only is this my favorite episode in Season 4, or my favorite episode of the post-movie era, Mrs. Puff, You're Fired is my favorite episode of SpongeBob SquarePants of all time.

Airdate: April 1, 2006
I agree with most of this, but it's no longer my favorite episode ever.

Ranking so far:
1. Dunces and Dragons (A+)
2. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (A+)
3. Krusty Towers (A+)
4. The Lost Mattress (A)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
6. Skill Crane (A)
7. Patrick SmartPants (A)
8. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
9. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (B)
10. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
11. Selling Out (B)
12. Enemy In-Law (C)
13. Shell of a Man (C)
14. SquidBob TentaclePants (C)
15. Funny Pants (D)
16. Good Neighbors (E)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one is pretty enjoyable. The new driving instructor is a pretty entertaining character. I also really love how Spongebob can only drive correctly when he can't see; it's just so ridiculous that you have to love it. I wish the episode was a little funnier, though, and it did feel a little slow at points. That being said, it's still a really entertaining one, and a nice spin on the typical boating school episode.

Good episode (7/10)

1. Dunces and Dragons (10)
2. Krusty Towers (10)
3. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
4. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (8)
5. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
6. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
7. Patrick Smartpants (8)
8. Selling Out (8)
9. Shell of a Man (7)
10. The Lost Mattress (7)
11. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired (7)
12. Enemy-In-Law (7)
13. Skill Crane (7)
14. Funny Pants (6)
15. Squidbob Tentaclepants (5)
16. Good Neighbors (4)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode is certainly a fun watch because of the new boating instructor, and his many methods that he uses to teach SpongeBob to drive, but I honestly think it gets too much praise because there weren't that many jokes in there, and the plot does kind of meander in some areas. A good episode, but far from the best

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I am gonna be 100% honest here i actually didnt like this episode. The jokes were downright flat. Nothing about it was very funny. Also that teacher was very unlikable

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
Patrick SmartPants (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI The Motion Picture (Perfect)
Krusty Towers (Amazing!)
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Enemy In-Law (Great)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
SquidBob TentaclePants (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Mrs. Puff Your'e Fired (Bad)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got yet another one of those episodes I always think is in season 5, "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired"! Man, I am totally going to forget to type the comma every time I write the episode name, I can feel it now. I like how to the point this episode title is, like it tells you exactly what's about to go down. I mean, every episode title does that to some degree, but usually the titles are nouns, not entire sentences lol. I think this is a pretty great episode, though I know opinions are mixed. So let's talk about it!

This episode on the low is kind of about the ineffectiveness of bureaucracy. I'm somewhat joking, but I mean this entire beginning scene with Mrs. Puff being on thin ice, and then fired, because of one student is ridiculous, given that other than SpongeBob, she has a stellar track record. Mr. Fitz's declaration that the students cannot be blamed for the incompetence of the teacher is admirable, but in no way does it fit this case haha. This scene isn't ridiculous in a frustrating way though, at least not completely, because if it was then my opinions of this episode would be very different. This episode really ups the ante on how bad SpongeBob is at driving (though "No Free Rides" already made it pretty clear), given that he's failed the test over a million times. The scene does get a little more annoying when SpongeBob inevitably fails, and despite literally being in the car while Mrs. Puff did nothing but be a normal teacher, Mr. Fitz still fires her immediately. That was a bit ridiculous, but necessary to get the plot moving, so I can forgive it. It also helps that Mrs. Puff pulls a "Doing Time" and finds joy in being free of this job. I feel bad for SpongeBob though, because he knows it's his fault that Mrs. Puff got fired, when really the one who needs to be blamed is Mr. Fitz himself.

This first part of the episode is admittedly meh, and just a way to get the plot rolling, but things pick up quite quickly once the drill sergeant shows up, because man I love this guy, he is so funny. Sergeant Sam Roderick walked so that the Warden in "The Inmates of Summer" could run (or really, they both run because they're both amazing characters to me lol). First off, I love the sergeant's design. And then I love his voice; Robin Sachs knew the assignment. But seriously, every scene with this guy is golden, which means basically the rest of this episode is golden, but especially this middle part. I love his introduction as he comes into the classroom, absolutely demolishing the door while looking intense and intimidating. His expressions are hilarious, and no matter how many times I watch this episode, the bon-bon scene will always make me laugh hysterically. Just the way this kid is oblivious as H and then everyone gasping dramatically, and how the instructor lets the kid enjoy the bon-bon before literally throwing him out the classroom, it's so funny.

Then we move on to the sergeant teaching SpongeBob like this is an army camp. I love how he brings a completely different environment to teaching here, making SpongeBob crawl before he can even think about driving. It's hilarious how serious he takes this. Honestly, we need more driving instructors like this, because nobody in the real world knows how to drive (I'm mostly joking, but it is true that here in the United States our system for getting a driver's license is a total joke). Anyway, this entire semi-montage is hilarious, full of great jokes one after the other. SpongeBob first crawling and losing control over a rock is great. I think my favorite part is when the instructor makes SpongeBob take a boat apart, and then put it back together again (I love the delivery and visuals for that line, comedic genius I tell you), and then SpongeBob makes a whole rocket.

I also like how once SpongeBob's training is just about complete, the way it backfires is both predictable and unexpected. Because yeah, of course SpongeBob is only going to be able to drive blindfolded, he only practiced while blindfolded! The instructor skipped a few steps there lol. The utter chaos that is the driving test with SpongeBob, the sergeant, and Mr. Fitz (and later Mrs. Puff) is just amazing, backed by some amazing usage of "Sponge Monger", if I do say so myself. I love all the varied situations they get into from explosions, running into cake, getting painted in Jellyfish Fields and picking up Mrs. Puff. Also, am I the only one who gets elements of this out of control driving scene mixed up with some of the ones from "Boating Buddies"? Like I always think the shrinking and costume part is in this episode, when it's from "Boating Buddies" lol. Maybe that's just me.

As it goes on, this scene only gets better. The part where the sergeant sacrifices himself to completely no effect is absolutely hilarious and gets me laughing every time. I like how we don't even see him again after that, like he was gone lmao. And then the part where SpongeBob ends up driving into town and somehow getting Patrick's pants on him is hilarious if only for Patrick's brief appearance to chase them calling out for his pants (I also like all the dialogue in the dust cloud). The delivery of that is just so funny to me for some reason. I like how in the end Patrick snatches his pants up too. But the fact that the out of control driving is solved by SpongeBob being blinded is brilliant, and a great way of making this writing cohesive and sensible.

The ending of this episode is like "Krusty Towers" in that it re-establishes the status quo very well. Some excellent voice acting by Mary Jo Catlett here as well, because you can hear the tears in Mrs. Puff's voice as she tells SpongeBob she'll be teaching him again, and that his record has been wiped clean. The ending makes you feel bad for Mrs. Puff, but I wouldn't really call it a downer ending, since again it is just re-establishing the status quo. The name tag shattering once again is a nice touch.

I really like "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired". I used to have it in my "Good" tier but honestly I have no idea why, because this episode belongs in "Amazing" for sure! It's hilarious and has some really great writing moments as well, as well as some great character design in the sergeant. I agree with other commenters on here that this episode is most definitely overshadowed by its sister episode, which I do think is a little better than this one, but that episode and this one are closer in quality to me than one might think. This is definitely an episode I rewatch whenever I rewatch season 4.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.3/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
I really like "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired". I used to have it in my "Good" tier but honestly I have no idea why, because this episode belongs in "Amazing" for sure! It's hilarious and has some really great writing moments as well, as well as some great character design in the sergeant. I agree with other commenters on here that this episode is most definitely overshadowed by its sister episode, which I do think is a little better than this one, but that episode and this one are closer in quality to me than one might think. This is definitely an episode I rewatch whenever I rewatch season 4.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.3/10
this episode is pretty underrated, i really hate when people say ''OMG AN ACTUAL GOOD POST MOVIE EPISODE!'' because i would say season 4 is an amazing season

and seasons 6-8 aren't even bad, i consider them great

season 5 is better than season 4 in my opinion, that's a hot take tho

post movie is an overhated masterpiece

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
this episode is pretty underrated, i really hate when people say ''OMG AN ACTUAL GOOD POST MOVIE EPISODE!'' because i would say season 4 is an amazing season

and seasons 6-8 aren't even bad, i consider them great

season 5 is better than season 4 in my opinion, that's a hot take tho

post movie is an overhated masterpiece
Yes to all of this! Well, I'm not sure about the season 5 one mostly because I 1) can never remember which episodes are season 5 and which are season 4, and 2) haven't done a critical look at season 4 as a whole or any of season 5 yet. So I'm tabling agreeing with that one for now. Also with seasons 6-8, I think they're more along the lines of good for me, but again not quite sure yet. Other than that though, I totally agree that post-movie is extremely overhated, and I also hate when anyone qualifies liking a post-movie episode like that, saying that "wow this is good for post-movie" or some other variation. Like it implies that all of post-movie is bad with rare exceptions, which as we've seen just in these first batch of reviews for season 4, clearly isn't the case.

Back