68a. Patrick SmartPants

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Such an emotional episode...one of the better ones from this season! I cried when SpongeBob was looking at his album...The ending was great and cute as well, there were some good and funny quotes and moments as well in there like Patrick underestimating Squidward's clarinet-talent and Sandy's experiments and personality...9.5/10 because the beggining is kind of slow

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
This episode was decent, but some parts were boring. However, it is watchable though. 7.5/10.

I just remembered this review. What a mess.

It's a very original episode to me and I actually enjoyed it. It's barely discussed and I don't get why this happens. I feel like it needs some appreciation. It was great to see Patrick with a different type of personality and higher intelligence. It was sorta sad, but it actually worked here. As you can see, they deeply cared a lot about each other in this episode, unlike in Yours, Mine and Mine or some other episode involving them fighting. The beginning was a little slow-paced, but it got really interesting afterwards. It was very well-written and executed. Although, I haven't watched this episode for a while, I wish I could this once again. The ending was a little predictable, but the predictability was very understandable and it actually still makes the episode great. It's a gem of Season 4 and I would love to see it again. I like the jumping off the cliff part, when Patrick went to Squidward's house and when he was looking the cells with the microscope. A great episode overall.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Just recently watched it, and yeah I like this one a lot. Patrick being overly smart makes him a jerk in a pretty clever way. Yes he's kind of mean towards SpongeBob, but it's not just him, it's everyone else. The writers know he's supposed to be a jerk so they play on it very well. I absolutely love LOVE it when he's making Squidward and Sandy mad, it is hilarious.

Also why no Sleepy Time reference? He could have said at least hinted Gary was smart, but ether way this episode is pretty underrated. Not going to give a rating just because I only saw it once while I was tired, so the opinion doesn't 100% stand.

DavidDCM98

Baby Clam
I didn't like this episode, I prefer Patrick when it's dumb because it makes me laugh but when it's smart it's boring

4/10

It's an interesting plot for an episode. It's pretty funny and this episode does a good job at teaching us that friendship comes first. And that ending just warms my heart. It has to be one of the greatest endings to an episode ever.

Ranking so far:
1. Dunces and Dragons (A+)
2. The Lost Mattress (A)
3. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
4. Skill Crane (A)
5. Patrick SmartPants (A)
6. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
7. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (B)
8. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
9. Selling Out (B)
10. Enemy In-Law (C)
11. Shell of a Man (C)
12. Funny Pants (D)
13. Good Neighbors (E)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This is a really sweet episode. Patrick's character here is really good and his voice is really nice to listen to. Spongebob and Patrick's reconciliation in the end is really heartwarming, and the rest of the episode is as well. It also has a really good moral. My only issue with this episode is that the first half is a little boring, but I don't hate it or anything.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Dunces and Dragons (10)
2. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
3. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (8)
4. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
5. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
6. Patrick Smartpants (8)
7. Selling Out (8)
8. Shell of a Man (7)
9. The Lost Mattress (7)
10. Enemy-In-Law (7)
11. Skill Crane (7)
12. Funny Pants (6)
13. Good Neighbors (4)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I think this episode is actually a way better version of "Have you Seen this Snail", because if you think about it, Spongebob has mentally lost someone that, debatably, means more to him than just a pet, and unlike HYSTS, all the scenes in the episode actually have perfect pacing and don't feel like they drag out longer than necessary. Focusing more on the story, I really like that once Patrick becomes smart, he realizes how hard it is for him to socialize, and tries to fix his personality; it makes him a lot more reliable as a secondary protagonist. And I also thought the twist actually made sense considering the brain coral greatly resembles Patrick's head, and seeing the different shapes of all the brain coral in the patch hints that it will alter one's knowledge.
So now I've proven this episode succeeds in the plot department. In terms of comedy, there isn't much, but I believe Smart Patrick using his advanced vocabulary in the most inappropriate situations was pretty hilarious, as well as a couple lines from the other characters.
Overall, very good episode, but my main problem is that I think it goes a little bit overkill on the wacky facial expressions. It's certainly not the worst that we'll see from the series, but it just kinda feels like it's there to distract us from the story.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Alright my friends! This is it! MY FAVORITE EPISODE OF SEASON 4! This one was very funny and the jokes were funny as well but the ending was the best part! Its heartwarming! Definitely our winner!

Rating: Perfect Episode

Rankings:
Patrick SmartPants (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI The Motion Picture (Perfect)
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Enemy In-Law (Great)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "Patrick SmartPants", one of the better-known episodes of season 4. Also, is it just me, or do you guys find it weird that this episode and its sister episode, "SquidBob TentaclePants", have such similar titles? Idk what was going on there but it was very interesting. But despite having similar titles, the plots of these two episodes are hardly similar at all, which means it's easier for me to review them lol.

This episode starts off with SpongeBob and Patrick jellyfishing, which is always a win in my book because I think jellyfishing is a cool activity that makes the atmosphere of Bikini Bottom more complete, as I've said before. It's also cute how much fun SpongeBob and Patrick are having. The episode doesn't take too long to get into the meat of things though, as Patrick goes running off a cliff in a brilliant and funny show of stupidity. And then of course we get introduced to "smart" Patrick, who has an "infinitely expanding" vocabulary and a new cadence of voice. Bill Fagerbakke really did great voicing Patrick in this episode. He sounds so sophisticated! It's kind of wholesome that Patrick at least initially tries to get SpongeBob to join in on his new version of "fun". Even later in the episode, he's both condescending and somewhat wholesome when he says he'll humor SpongeBob with his "trivial pursuits". lol, that's the name of a board/trivia game.

I like that because Patrick changes so drastically in this episode, his dynamics with other characters shift as well. We'll get to SpongeBob in a minute, but I mean his whole segment with Squidward is pretty fun too. I like that they're able to initially make a connection over music, although Patrick really just throws out the largest music terms imaginable, even though no one who knows music actually talks like that lmao. Also I love how he roasts Squidward being like "that's because you rarely think", Patrick is such a savage sometimes. Sandy and Patrick's new dynamic is interesting to watch as well, considering Sandy is one of the smartest people in the show. Patrick's new condescending nature really jumps out in this part as he roasts Sandy for not being able to solve an equation. I like how Sandy immediately catches onto that and kicks him out, because she will not be taking that no way no how.

And then of course, we have SpongeBob and Patrick's dynamic, which has a big change in this episode, and is the emotional crux of the entire thing. I'm honestly surprised this episode is as emotional as it is, the writers really didn't hold back by covering up this sad thing with jokes. But seeing Patrick show no interest in SpongeBob doesn't even feel annoying, it just feels sad. Him calling SpongeBob "Robert" is pretty funny though. But seriously, like Patrick doesn't even show any ill will towards SpongeBob which makes the scene where he tells SpongeBob that they've grown apart much, much easier to watch. This clean end to their friendship is something only media can create, as real life relationships are hardly ever clean breaks like this. The scene where they're both looking at their friendship scrapbooks (which first off that's so adorable that they have corresponding scrapbooks) is very emotional and done very well. I really, really like that they don't make Patrick malicious in this episode, I cannot stress that enough. He's a jerk, but he isn't trying to be. And I love how he applies his newfound knowledge into trying to figure out why he and SpongeBob grew apart. The montage of him trying to do just that is pretty fun to watch. I just love that their friendship is so strong that even as a completely different person Patrick still desires that friendship.

I love how Patrick just kidnaps SpongeBob too lol, that was pretty funny. I love the two hanging out in jellyfish fields again. The part where SpongeBob's like "oh yeah" and Patrick's like "oh absolutely" is hilarious to me. And I love that Patrick is determined to get their old friendship back, to the point where he falls right back off the cliff. And then of course, we get the reveal that SpongeBob plugged Patrick with some brain coral, which is why he ended up changing. Patrick sacrificing his intellect so that he can still be friends with SpongeBob is endlessly sweet, and his declaration that "knowledge can never replace friendship" is words to live by (somewhat). The ending of this episode is just so cute, with the two running off into the beautiful sunset (common SpongeBob background artists W), which closes out this great episode.

"Patrick SmartPants" is just a really good episode for fans of SpongeBob and Patrick's best friendship. It's funny and engaging and heartwarming (after being heartbreaking). I don't really have any problems with this episode. It's not the funniest, but it makes up for that by hitting you in the feels. Definitely an episode worthy of my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up, we've got "Patrick SmartPants", one of the better-known episodes of season 4. Also, is it just me, or do you guys find it weird that this episode and its sister episode, "SquidBob TentaclePants", have such similar titles? Idk what was going on there but it was very interesting. But despite having similar titles, the plots of these two episodes are hardly similar at all, which means it's easier for me to review them lol.

This episode starts off with SpongeBob and Patrick jellyfishing, which is always a win in my book because I think jellyfishing is a cool activity that makes the atmosphere of Bikini Bottom more complete, as I've said before. It's also cute how much fun SpongeBob and Patrick are having. The episode doesn't take too long to get into the meat of things though, as Patrick goes running off a cliff in a brilliant and funny show of stupidity. And then of course we get introduced to "smart" Patrick, who has an "infinitely expanding" vocabulary and a new cadence of voice. Bill Fagerbakke really did great voicing Patrick in this episode. He sounds so sophisticated! It's kind of wholesome that Patrick at least initially tries to get SpongeBob to join in on his new version of "fun". Even later in the episode, he's both condescending and somewhat wholesome when he says he'll humor SpongeBob with his "trivial pursuits". lol, that's the name of a board/trivia game.

I like that because Patrick changes so drastically in this episode, his dynamics with other characters shift as well. We'll get to SpongeBob in a minute, but I mean his whole segment with Squidward is pretty fun too. I like that they're able to initially make a connection over music, although Patrick really just throws out the largest music terms imaginable, even though no one who knows music actually talks like that lmao. Also I love how he roasts Squidward being like "that's because you rarely think", Patrick is such a savage sometimes. Sandy and Patrick's new dynamic is interesting to watch as well, considering Sandy is one of the smartest people in the show. Patrick's new condescending nature really jumps out in this part as he roasts Sandy for not being able to solve an equation. I like how Sandy immediately catches onto that and kicks him out, because she will not be taking that no way no how.

And then of course, we have SpongeBob and Patrick's dynamic, which has a big change in this episode, and is the emotional crux of the entire thing. I'm honestly surprised this episode is as emotional as it is, the writers really didn't hold back by covering up this sad thing with jokes. But seeing Patrick show no interest in SpongeBob doesn't even feel annoying, it just feels sad. Him calling SpongeBob "Robert" is pretty funny though. But seriously, like Patrick doesn't even show any ill will towards SpongeBob which makes the scene where he tells SpongeBob that they've grown apart much, much easier to watch. This clean end to their friendship is something only media can create, as real life relationships are hardly ever clean breaks like this. The scene where they're both looking at their friendship scrapbooks (which first off that's so adorable that they have corresponding scrapbooks) is very emotional and done very well. I really, really like that they don't make Patrick malicious in this episode, I cannot stress that enough. He's a jerk, but he isn't trying to be. And I love how he applies his newfound knowledge into trying to figure out why he and SpongeBob grew apart. The montage of him trying to do just that is pretty fun to watch. I just love that their friendship is so strong that even as a completely different person Patrick still desires that friendship.

I love how Patrick just kidnaps SpongeBob too lol, that was pretty funny. I love the two hanging out in jellyfish fields again. The part where SpongeBob's like "oh yeah" and Patrick's like "oh absolutely" is hilarious to me. And I love that Patrick is determined to get their old friendship back, to the point where he falls right back off the cliff. And then of course, we get the reveal that SpongeBob plugged Patrick with some brain coral, which is why he ended up changing. Patrick sacrificing his intellect so that he can still be friends with SpongeBob is endlessly sweet, and his declaration that "knowledge can never replace friendship" is words to live by (somewhat). The ending of this episode is just so cute, with the two running off into the beautiful sunset (common SpongeBob background artists W), which closes out this great episode.

"Patrick SmartPants" is just a really good episode for fans of SpongeBob and Patrick's best friendship. It's funny and engaging and heartwarming (after being heartbreaking). I don't really have any problems with this episode. It's not the funniest, but it makes up for that by hitting you in the feels. Definitely an episode worthy of my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10
me in 30 years:

''who's that old chap i used to watch'' looks at picture of spongebob ''spongebob?''

watches first 5 seasons

''oh the glory days, why have we grown apart''

SBSFOUR

Baby Clam
This is a pretty good episode, the jokes were so funny and the ending was good too.

It's a Very Good Episode 9/10

Back