67b. Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture

So the saga of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy ends with a movie? Kinda similar to the show itself. This episode was a nice watch. It's in the upper half of Season 4.

CheesePudding

Part Computer or Something
This one is one of the best. It's Funny, and the only bad thing I can say about it is that Patrick had the Lens Cap on the WHOLE time, and they got no film because of that. However, even that makes no sense because earlier in the episode, the Lens-Cap ISN'T on! Whatever, I give it a 9.5/10.

I like this one. While not my favorite MM&BB episode, it's entertaining, has a lot of funny jokes, and overall tells a good story. The only problem I have was that not enough time was spent on the actual movie. Other than that, it's pretty good.

Ranking so far:
1. Dunces and Dragons (A+)
2. The Lost Mattress (A)
3. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
4. Skill Crane (A)
5. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
6. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (B)
6. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
7. Selling Out (B)
8. Enemy In-Law (C)
9. Shell of a Man (C)
10. Funny Pants (D)
11. Good Neighbors (E)

Tyler730

Part Computer or Something
This is my second favorite MM&BB episode behind V (my favorite episode of all time) and my third favorite Season 4 episode. It’s hilarious and has a cool plot!

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I really enjoy this one. It's really funny and the plot is engaging and interesting. There are a lot of characters in this episode, and all of them are utilized really well. There's just never a dull moment in this episode. If I had to really nitpick something, it's that the pacing feels a little off at times, but that's not too big an issue. Also the lens-cap thing makes no sense.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Dunces and Dragons (10)
2. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
3. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture (8)
4. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
5. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
6. Selling Out (8)
7. Shell of a Man (7)
8. The Lost Mattress (7)
9. Enemy-In-Law (7)
10. Skill Crane (7)
11. Funny Pants (6)
12. Good Neighbors (4)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is a decent Season 4 episode. I enjoyed most of the movie-making gags, and the fact that they made Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy the stars of the "movie" makes it even more charming. The 2 nitpicks that I have with this one is that:
  • There seems to be an issue with SpongeBob's hue; for most of the episode his yellow skin seems to be paler than normal, and in some scenes it seems to be more bright. Not a HUGE deal, but it's distracting and does kind of hinder the experience a TINY bit.
  • Patrick is really dumb in this one; him forgetting to remove the lens cap from the camera before recording just pisses me off.
April 27, 2022 Edit: Apparently Patrick forgetting to remove the lens cap was supposed to be a joke, but that joke doesn't work because Patrick clearly didn't have the lens cap on the camera the whole time. Just another problem I have with this episode.

Last edited:

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one was very fun it had many funny jokes. The execution was beyond perfect.

Rating: Perfect Episode

Rankings:
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI The Motion Picture (Perfect)
Dunces and Dragons (Amazing!)
Enemy In-Law (Great)
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got the last of the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy sextet, "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy VI"! A real end of an era. I love how this whole set of episodes ends on a movie...very ahead of their time in that regard, given the proliferation of superhero movies nowadays.

This episode begins with a fun little segment of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy stopping crime...petty crimes that is, but crime nonetheless. It makes me think of those "X in Gotham" videos that were going around a while ago. Anyway, I love that SpongeBob and Patrick are in a fan club for MM and BB (I'm just going to abbreviate like this because it's easier), because I think it's cute that they're able to hang around like-minded individuals, and it's always nice to see that their world doesn't exclusively revolve around members of the main cast, you know? Also, I love how offended the two get by actors playing MM and BB, which is fair especially because they just got finished watching a video about the real MM and BB so like...what gives? But I think it's hilarious that they end up getting kicked out for being against the actors.

I love how SpongeBob and Patrick are just kind of friends with MM and BB now, to the point where they can just show up at Shady Shoals and nothing happens to them lol. The exchange between an irate SpongeBob and Patrick, and MM and BB, is great. The "actors" part is just hilarious and iconic, and I love the horror shared by the heroes upon hearing that.

The plot of this episode is lowkey kind of cute, because of SpongeBob and Patrick's enthusiasm to make this movie a success. I love how they get lots of other characters involved too. I really like how Mr. Krabs channels his "Culture Shock" self by proposing Pearl be a star in the movie, as he should. Oh wait, he didn't do that. Yeah I'm not a fan of how certain episodes make Mr. Krabs a really bad father for no reason. That joke wasn't all that funny. But at least SpongeBob keeps the offer to star towards Pearl, which makes the bad taste of the joke wash away. But anyway, back to the involvement of other characters, I love how Sandy is in charge of explosives, and the way SpongeBob gets Squidward to be a part of the show is peak manipulation, love that for the little sponge. Squidward working on the "makeup" for MM and BB is hilarious, I love how he just uses power tools.

This episode is also full of my favorite kind of gag, random explosions! I also love your new job Sandy, because I love things blowing up. There's a reason I love the Fast & Furious movies, and the Mission Impossible movies, and John Wick movies, and The Equalizer movies...I just love action movies where things blow up. And I love the running gag of boom equaling literal boom. It's really nice to see all the characters come together like this to put this movie on, like even Plankton is here! Also, I just realized this, but in the Cosmic Shake, one of the levels is movie themed, and it uses that "Take 5003" director cut board thing! That's such a neat little reference!

Anyway, watching everyone try to make this movie varies from being just entertaining to decently funny, at least until we find out that Patrick had the lens cap on the camera the entire time. This episode manages to pull off having an element as frustrating as that without me actually getting legitimately frustrated, which is pretty impressive. SpongeBob's ensuing freakout is hilarious, because of how absurd it is. Poor guy just wanted to put on a good movie. I love how Mermaid Man is the one to get everything back on track though, given his usual senility.

Moving on, I love the background of the Krusty Krab during the movie premiere, the lights from inside the Krusty Krab makes it look really cool. And I think it's sweet that Mr. Krabs closed the restaurant early for the premiere of the movie. I also love that Pearl is so tall that she blocks the projector a little bit lol. But it's very satisfying to see everyone there watching the movie they made. I love the horrid production values of the movie, how you can tell there was love put into it even if the end result isn't all that great. I love that no one ends up raining on SpongeBob's parade in the end, even if we see that the rest of the audience didn't like what they just saw. And then of course, the episode ends with a good laughing bit, which I will always appreciate.

I really like "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy VI" because it's funny and engaging, and also because it's an excellent send off to this little series of episodes. Yes, MM and BB make future appearances, but this is the end of the road for the Roman Numeral series, and I think this episode does a great job of closing it out. It shows the evolution of SpongeBob and Patrick's friendship with these two heroes, their return to the public spotlight, and it gets other characters involved. I can't ask for much more.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.5/10

Back