65b. Funny Pants

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 4

Episode: Funny Pants

This episode was kinda bad. Spongebob's laughing was annoying (his crying even more). I don't agree with people saying that Spongebob's obnoxiousness in this episode is his character trait because that character trait was flanderized in this episode. There were some funny jokes. 4.5/10

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
This is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's a little annoying with all the bayayayayayaya (Spongebob's Laughter) in the episode.
Other than that, this is a good episode, the jokes are funny and I like it how he's laughing about: Another Day Another Nickel.

7.5/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Meh for me , I wasn't annoyed by the laughing and crying but I did not find this episode hilarious or funny or whatever...The only funny scene was the scene with the pie on this poor fish's face :P that was funny indeed!!! But, not that bad for me..I mean what annoyed me in this episode is the UNFAIRNESS again...SpongeBob was laughing ALL THE ::dolphin noise:: TIME and did not burn out the laugh box but Squidward laughed for 5-6 seconds and burned out his laugh box...that was unfair and I got irritated by this!! >_< The ending was MEH too...Seeing SpongeBob being depressed because of a myth was BAD too.. But, still, there were some good quotes here like the quote I said before and another one with Mr.Krabs showing SpongeBob money in order to laugh :P , I will give it a 5/10 :|

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Honestly this one grew on me. The excessive laughter is a bit much but I think passed that it's a decent story with some charming jokes and moments.

6/10

NerdyKairi

Kairi is Back
Oh this episode, I don´t know Tom Kenny´s classic SpongeBob laugh doesn´t annoyes me if but gets too much I perfer watching in Latin Spanish the laugh is less annoying and never gets annoying but that´s just me. 7.5/10

Funny Pants is mediocre, we can all feel this episode has a good plot of SpongeBob's endless laughing... but there are almost little to no jokes that are funny and is nothing too much more than an average episode, what I would say though is that the ending was actually surprising (I did not expect it) 7.5/10

This episode could have been great, but they ruined it. I like the whole premise, but they ruined it with the fact SpongeBob's laugh is squeaky the whole entire time. It gets really irritating, and it ruined this episode for me.

Ranking so far:
1. The Lost Mattress (A)
2. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
3. Skill Crane (A)
4. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
5. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
6. Selling Out (B)
7. Shell of a Man (C)
8. Funny Pants (D)
9. Good Neighbors (E)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I'll admit, this episode is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Sure, the audio can be a bit of a pain, but if you can look past that, it's actually quite a solid episode. The plot is pretty creative, and there are a number of jokes in this episode I think work quite well. Spongebob's character is a bit inconsistent, and I'm not a big fan of the ending, but otherwise this one is pretty alright imo.

Average episode (6/10)

1. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
2. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
3. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
4. Selling Out (8)
5. Shell of a Man (7)
6. The Lost Mattress (7)
7. Skill Crane (7)
8. Funny Pants (6)
9. Good Neighbors (4)

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
A good episode. It's funny that this is an episode focused on Spongebob's laugh and how it annoys others. It's amusing seeing Squidward prank Spongebob and him thinking he shouldn't laugh. There's some good comedy when Spongebob tries to not laugh. The "laugh box" is hilarious and memorable too. I like how Squidward sort of gets his comeuppance when his real laugh box breaks and is fixed with a part of Spongebob's. The ending is also funny where Squidward laughs like Spongebob and he goes crazy.

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is probably the most underrated episode of the entire series. I really liked the majority of the jokes in this one, such as Spongebob becoming exposed to all the old-timey humor in creative twists, and I also liked the concept of Squidward thinking of ways to stop Spongebob's annoyance. It didn't blow my mind, but it's a good story that kept my attention. I was initally split down the middle on the ending, but, it is pretty selfless of Spongebob to literally donate his larynx to help Squidward, and honestly Squidward does kind of deserve Spongebob's laughter.
So yeah, overall decent episode, although what kind of bugs me about it is the presentation. The animation itself is fine, but the sound mixing is pretty weak. There are a bunch of reused audio clips, as well as music that overlaps itself in the episode, but most jarring is that in one of the hospital scenes, Squidward's line of "Where am I?" gets kind of cut off for no real reason.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
An okay episode to pair with a great one. This one wasnt very funny. The "nickel" joke wasnt very funny. But the laugh-box scene was funny.

Rating: Meh Episode

Rankings:
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Great)
Selling Out (Great)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Funny Pants (Meh)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)
Good Neighbors (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "Funny Pants", a rather forgettable episode that veers on the side of disliked. This episode also features the first use of "Happy Sponge Chase Vibes", which is lowkey a title card song used for some of the most forgettable episodes in this show. I also thought this song was used a lot more than it actually has been, though it did come back for "The Krusty Bucket" after an over 100-episode absence so, that's cool. I hadn't rewatched this episode for a very long time before writing this review, but I did actually rewatch it for the purposes of writing this today, so that's fun! I don't usually do that but considering that this episode is one of those commonly disliked ones, I thought I'd at least give it a chance, you know? And so give it a chance I did. And...yeah the dislike is a bit warranted.

So here's the thing. I don't understand why the writers thought it would be a good idea to make an entire episode about SpongeBob's laugh (just like I don't understand why the writers of "A Day Without Tears" thought it would be a good idea to make an entire episode about SpongeBob crying). SpongeBob's laugh is supposed to be a decently annoying sound, but not too annoying. And you know why it's not too annoying? Because it doesn't span entire episodes! Also, I'm convinced the directors of this episode asked Tom Kenny to laugh as annoyingly as possible, because SpongeBob's laugh is never this bad anyway. And that's the main problem with this episode, it's hard as H to listen to. SpongeBob finding the most mundane things funny is perfectly in character, and I have no problems with that, but the fact that his laugh is ear-grating is not good at all. I will say though, I like the visuals of Squidward being driven to insanity by SpongeBob's laugh. And of course, Squidward lying in bed troubled is basically a meme at this point.

Another problem with this episode is that it is not very funny, which in the absence of anything actually to dislike about this episode, makes it rather boring. Like the "another day another nickel" joke is not very funny just as Squidward says, and SpongeBob repeating it a whole bunch doesn't make it any funnier. Other than that, the plot is kind of meh, with Squidward making up an illness so SpongeBob will stop laughing. SpongeBob's ensuing attempts to try not to laugh are fine. Of course, he has to be presented with a million obstacles in doing so. And some of them are decently funny, like Patrick slipping on the banana peel. Okay that one was a bit more than decently funny, it got a good chuckle out of me. And then SpongeBob running away and burying himself in a hole is pretty funny, because of how random it is, and also the severity with which he does it. Also, the part where SpongeBob imagines being in an Iron Laugh Box thing is actually pretty funny, I laughed at that one.

After this, the episode just gets meh again because the plot with SpongeBob trying not to laugh was way more interesting than him thinking he's lost his laugh. And seeing SpongeBob sad is not something anyone really wants to see, much less for an entire like 5-6 minutes. I like the part where SpongeBob gets stuck on Patrick's head though, that was hilarious. And then Squidward is an absolute jerk about it, which makes the ending of this episode all the more sweeter. Actually, I wanted to talk about that. This episode really just feels like a redux of "I Had An Accident", except more...malicious because it's Squidward tricking SpongeBob into thinking he can't laugh just so he can get some peace and quiet. And yes, it's malicious, because SpongeBob doesn't really do anything wrong in this episode, he just has an annoying laugh. Which is why the universal justice at the end is satisfying, and a great bit of irony. I also love the bit of self-awareness Squidward has when he confesses to SpongeBob, that was a nice touch.

The ending of this episode really does save things for me, because the role reversal between SpongeBob and Squidward is hilarious and once again is full of universal justice. SpongeBob just suddenly stopping and being like "it's not really that funny" and then just closing the door in Squidward's face is amazing. And then Squidward losing his laugh box, just to get SpongeBob's is great. So yeah, this episode ends really nicely.

"Funny Pants" starts off pretty middling and ends pretty alright. But it also is a pretty dull episode at many different points. However, it doesn't anger me like an episode in my (barely) "Tolerable" tier does. It's "crime" is being unfunny more than once, which is why I think it belongs in my "Mediocre" tier. If it didn't fail at being funny so many times, it probably would've moved up to "Okay".

Episode Tier: Mediocre
Episode Score: 5.5/10

Back