64b. Good Neighbors

FictionMagician

Imitation Krab
Wow. Up to this point, season four of SB has been going pretty well, even it wasn't up to the previous season's standard of awesomeness. But this is where things took a turn for the worse, and whether or not this actually had anything to do with it, it feels like the series began to take a huge dip in consistency and overall quality starting with this episode. It sets the blueprint for a lot of future episodes: Spongebob and Patrick annoying the heck out of Squidward for eleven minutes. They torture him, actually. There's so little imagination used here it's shocking, as if the writer of the episode just thought "Hey, let me think of all the ridiculous, inane and over the top things SB and Patrick can do" and then wrote all of his 'ideas' down on a piece of paper. The decent thing to do would've been to throw the paper in the trash and keep thinking of something - anything - better to write. You genuinely feel sorry for Squidward, you hate SB and Patrick, and by the end you're just annoyed with what you just saw. Things become so ridiculous that by the end, Squidward's house has turned into some sort of battle station and destroys Bikini Bottom, and he ends up having to do community service every Sunday for the rest of his life with SB and Patrick to cover the damage 'they' caused. Hardy har, har. If you haven't see this episode, you wouldn't miss out on anything by skipping it, unless you're curious has to how the series' downward spiral into mediocrity and in some cases (such as this) downright awfulness started (and it's only recently begun to recover).

2.5/10

MrTortellini00

lame funny
I don't get people saying this was the start of the downfall. For me it didn't start until the second part of the season

But I'm not saying this episode was good, it was indeed a very bad experience. I never liked this episode, since the first time I watched it :thumbdown:

FictionMagician

Imitation Krab
MrTortellini00 said:
I don't get people saying this was the start of the downfall. For me it didn't start until the second part of the season

But I'm not saying this episode was good, it was indeed a very bad experience. I never liked this episode, since the first time I watched it :thumbdown:
I guess you could say it happened in the second part of the season, and I mentioned in another review that there were some good episodes right after this. For me this marked the start of the downfall because up to this point there had never been a 'bad' episode of Spongebob, and when I saw future bad episodes, I thought to myself, "Wow, Squidward sure gets abused a lot/SB and Patrick are extremely annoying now/These plots sure are ridiculous and not even that funny...I wonder when all of this started?", and then I remember 'Good Neighbors'.

Illiniguy34

That Reviewing Guy
I remember being kind of excited for this episode, mostly because the ads showed Squidward's robotic house. Unfortunately, it showed me that Spongebob was declining in quality and I was disappointed.

PinkPearl

insert title here
Perry The Platypus said:
IDK if I've posted here yet, but this ep gets too much hate. It has some funny moments to help our it above later Squid abuse episodea. But it is weak.
This is a very old post but you made some good points. It's very overhated I think, and it does have a lot of funny moments. At times you definitely feel sorry for Squidward, but at least Spongebob tries to do the right thing (even if he fails miserably). The ending was lame, but other than that it's a pretty decent episode. 7/10

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
This episode isn't good because SpongeBob and Patrick are constantly torturing Squidward and not in any funny way

3/10

Fondue Pot

Delicious
This episode is not very good, despite the "good" in the title. It had a "meh" story. Squidward's house destroying everything, and Rodger Bumpass' voice acting were pretty much the only things I liked about this episode

4.5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Pretty bad episode. The main plot of this episode really doesn't offer much. It's a super generic "annoy Squidward" story with very little of a spin. The only unique twist is the stupid part where the house comes alive. Besides the generic premise this entire episode is mostly irritating with few half-hearted chuckles and general annoyance throughout. It starts out mediocre but once Squidward's house comes alive it becomes nonsensical and awful especially with the stupid ending that Squidward has to do community service, the first true dud of the series.

4.5/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
I didn't get angry at all through-out the episode, or bored so I do not consider it a bad episode...reading all this hate comments towards this episode ofcourse it makes me think of how to dislike the episode, but I still doesn't..I could follow the majority's opinion, but I am not that kind of person...I won't lie...I didn't get angry on that one as I got to ''MM&BB IV'' or ''I am With Stupid''...My favourite scenes / moments were ''Patrick star, we'd better check this guy out. Make sure he's safe for Squidward.'' ...I also liked the Security System 5000...Poor Squidward, got kicked out of his own house...The only thing that actually did bother me about this one was the ending...Squidward was acting like a psycho towards them...it was logical , but it kind of freaked me out when I was a kid...not AT ALL bad based on my taste..8.5/10

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
This? This? This?!?!?!?!? It's so good I could give it a good 8.5/10!

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
For many people, this episode is where the show went downhill, but for me, it's a big guilty pleasure. Objectively, it's pretty bad, but it did manage to get a few laughs out of me and Spongebob and Patrick aren't that annoying. I understand why people dislike it, and I don't think it's amazing, but it doesn't bother me.

8/10

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
CakeCup said:
Good Neighbors. The episode that started the downfall of my favorite show, even with all the gems in the season. It was a terrible experience for me, and the only reason I would watch it is for reviewing. WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE PAIRED WITH THE EXCELLENT SKILL CRANE?!!! 2.5/10
Ew, 16 year old Invisiblecake18. You were so immature back then.

Anyways, this episode wasn't great at all, but it wasn't bad. The beginning of Good Neighbors was actually very nice with the opening parallel shots of Conch Street, and I really liked the newspaper monster joke. The problem with this episode is that the plot seemed less than original. We already had SB and Pat hang out Squidward in episodes like Naughty Nautical Neighbors, so it just felt like a recycled idea. Most of the episode wasn't too offensive or anything, just full of mediocrity and typical stuff here. Nothing truly different at all. The only thing that is close to being original was Squidward's house turning into a monster and destroying Bikini Bottom. At least that part made me laugh, since it was something that I did not expect in such a generic episode. I got a couple chuckles out of this with jokes like SpongeBob's "lovely French tips", the "sorry for bugging you so much" cake, and the Security System 5000, but that was about it. The ending felt like a dud with Squidward having to do community service. Overall, an episode that doesn't really stand out in anyway. There's nothing incredibly odious here, but it just felt so bland. I give it a 4/10. (C-)

Back