64a. Skill Crane

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
It's a fine episode. Honestly I don't think it's as good as everyone says it is. My biggest problem is how repetitive it feels at times, and I think it does get a little overbearing with it's treatment of Squidward and such. That being said, it's still a decently funny episode with some clever writing and a good plot, so I can't knock it too much.

Good episode (7/10)

1. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)
2. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
3. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
4. Shell of a Man (7)
5. The Lost Mattress (7)
6. Skill Crane (7)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I really enjoy the scenes Squidward in his house, failing to perform simple tasks without thinking about the crane, as well as spongebob telling squidward to "be the crane". When I first saw this episode, I honestly thought Squidward would teach everyone else how to be the crane, but unfortunately it just turns into Squidward showing off his ONE toy. It's pretty disappointing in my opinion. In my opinion this episode is pretty good, but not terrific.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This is one of the most falsely overrated episodes of the show. I dont hate it but it was actually decent. The beginning is decent. But by the time Squidward gets his toy he was very unlikable it has a blessed title card though.

Rating: Meh Episode

Rankings:
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Amazing!)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Awesome)
Shell of a Man (Delightful)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Skill Crane (Meh)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)

Last edited:

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "Skill Crane", the episode that will surely break the Amazing-tier streak that season 4 has going on. Yeah, I'm going to be honest, this episode does not belong in that tier. But it's not a bad episode. Just a decent one. Let's discuss!

I like the beginning of this episode. Mr. Krabs' reaction to the man in the suit is hilarious, and it also basically confirms that Mr. Krabs is a tax evader lmao. I love jokes that casually show that Mr. Krabs is definitely a financial criminal lmao. Also, the entire idea of bringing in a claw machine into the Krusty Krab is actually a genius money-making scheme, not going to lie. Seeing that machine in the Krusty Krab reminds me of Steak N' Shake, they always have those machines. I love that Squidward acts all unbothered about the machine, but the second he plays it he essentially winds up with a gambling addiction. Happens to the best of us, Squiddy. I like how Mr. Krabs was lowkey banking on Squidward getting addicted too, considering how he says "my work here is done" when Squidward starts getting real excited about the machine. Mr. Krabs is something else, man.

SpongeBob is pretty cute in this episode, especially when he wins Barry. I think it's pretty funny how much more luck SpongeBob has with the machine than Squidward. And, being SpongeBob, he doesn't rub it in Squidward's face. I like when SpongeBob is a little sh!t, but it only works when he's being competitive with someone or he's being TrollBob, so him just being a ball of sunshine here works perfectly fine for me.

I like that Squidward manages to break out of the trance of the crane, at least for a little bit. The squeaking sound turning into Squidward's name is great, I love how it shows how much the squid wants to play that crane. Mr. Krabs' incessant "need some change" is great as well. Seeing Squidward lose isn't necessarily entertaining on its own, but I still enjoy it here. Maybe its because of Squidward's desperation, or the way he yells at Mr. Krabs when he loses all his money. Maybe it's a bit later when 6 hours pass and he's still won nothing, while SpongeBob wins so much he literally puts a toy back into the machine.

Squidward's spiral in this episode is pretty great, I love how he can't stop thinking of the crane at all. Even SpongeBob has to be like "I think you have a problem." But of course Mr. Krabs, being the greedy guy that he is, doesn't even bat an eye when Squidward hands over the deed to his house just to play the crane. It was nice of SpongeBob to teach Squidward how to win though. The way Squidward finally wins, to the satisfaction of everybody, kind of reminds me of "Big Pink Loser", when Patrick opens the jar. But of course, Squidward gets really annoying about it really quickly (that part with the kid is equally horrible and hilarious though). And I love that SpongeBob legitimately gets annoyed with Squidward's behavior after winning.

The last part of the episode is pretty funny, with Squidward taking things too far by using a real crane. SpongeBob's trying to stop him is hilarious, with his reactions and all, and I love the construction workers as well. The pure chaos of this last scene is the exact type of chaotic SpongeBob SquarePants ending I love to see (though, those didn't really start happening until season 4, which I think is interesting). I love how even Mr. Krabs gets what's coming to him too, with the Krusty Krab being destroyed. And then we get one last gag with SpongeBob trying to save Squidward, but only picking up a toy. A great stinger to end the episode on.

I quite like "Skill Crane". However, it is not in my "Amazing" tier because although I do really enjoy it, the humor isn't all there for me. Like I find the episode to be decently funny, but not outrageously so, and so this episode lacks that "wow" factor that I like to see in "Amazing"-tier episodes. So, this episode sits nicely in my "Great" tier.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.7/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up, we've got "Skill Crane", the episode that will surely break the Amazing-tier streak that season 4 has going on. Yeah, I'm going to be honest, this episode does not belong in that tier. But it's not a bad episode. Just a decent one. Let's discuss!

I like the beginning of this episode. Mr. Krabs' reaction to the man in the suit is hilarious, and it also basically confirms that Mr. Krabs is a tax evader lmao. I love jokes that casually show that Mr. Krabs is definitely a financial criminal lmao. Also, the entire idea of bringing in a claw machine into the Krusty Krab is actually a genius money-making scheme, not going to lie. Seeing that machine in the Krusty Krab reminds me of Steak N' Shake, they always have those machines. I love that Squidward acts all unbothered about the machine, but the second he plays it he essentially winds up with a gambling addiction. Happens to the best of us, Squiddy. I like how Mr. Krabs was lowkey banking on Squidward getting addicted too, considering how he says "my work here is done" when Squidward starts getting real excited about the machine. Mr. Krabs is something else, man.

SpongeBob is pretty cute in this episode, especially when he wins Barry. I think it's pretty funny how much more luck SpongeBob has with the machine than Squidward. And, being SpongeBob, he doesn't rub it in Squidward's face. I like when SpongeBob is a little sh!t, but it only works when he's being competitive with someone or he's being TrollBob, so him just being a ball of sunshine here works perfectly fine for me.

I like that Squidward manages to break out of the trance of the crane, at least for a little bit. The squeaking sound turning into Squidward's name is great, I love how it shows how much the squid wants to play that crane. Mr. Krabs' incessant "need some change" is great as well. Seeing Squidward lose isn't necessarily entertaining on its own, but I still enjoy it here. Maybe its because of Squidward's desperation, or the way he yells at Mr. Krabs when he loses all his money. Maybe it's a bit later when 6 hours pass and he's still won nothing, while SpongeBob wins so much he literally puts a toy back into the machine.

Squidward's spiral in this episode is pretty great, I love how he can't stop thinking of the crane at all. Even SpongeBob has to be like "I think you have a problem." But of course Mr. Krabs, being the greedy guy that he is, doesn't even bat an eye when Squidward hands over the deed to his house just to play the crane. It was nice of SpongeBob to teach Squidward how to win though. The way Squidward finally wins, to the satisfaction of everybody, kind of reminds me of "Big Pink Loser", when Patrick opens the jar. But of course, Squidward gets really annoying about it really quickly (that part with the kid is equally horrible and hilarious though). And I love that SpongeBob legitimately gets annoyed with Squidward's behavior after winning.

The last part of the episode is pretty funny, with Squidward taking things too far by using a real crane. SpongeBob's trying to stop him is hilarious, with his reactions and all, and I love the construction workers as well. The pure chaos of this last scene is the exact type of chaotic SpongeBob SquarePants ending I love to see (though, those didn't really start happening until season 4, which I think is interesting). I love how even Mr. Krabs gets what's coming to him too, with the Krusty Krab being destroyed. And then we get one last gag with SpongeBob trying to save Squidward, but only picking up a toy. A great stinger to end the episode on.

I quite like "Skill Crane". However, it is not in my "Amazing" tier because although I do really enjoy it, the humor isn't all there for me. Like I find the episode to be decently funny, but not outrageously so, and so this episode lacks that "wow" factor that I like to see in "Amazing"-tier episodes. So, this episode sits nicely in my "Great" tier.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.7/10
if an episode comes out after you're done reviewing every episode, will you review it?

also will you review the shorts

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
if an episode comes out after you're done reviewing every episode, will you review it?

also will you review the shorts
To your first question, theoretically yes (I say theoretically because I have to get through reviewing every episode first, which won't happen for a while lol, so things could change).

To the second question, I haven't given it any serious thought yet, but I might. I do have a DVD full of the shorts (not to mention I know how to 🏴‍☠️ so)

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
One of the really good season 4 episode one of my favorite season 4 episodes
  1. Have You Seen This Snail? (♾/10)
  2. Fear Of A Krabby Patty (10/10)
  3. Skill Crane (10/10)
  4. The Last Mattress (10/10)
  5. Shell Of A Man (9.5/10)
  6. Krabs Vs Plankton (9/10)

Back