63. Have You Seen This Snail?

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I love this episode. The story is fantastic and genuinely sad, it also contains the best post-movie song and it even has brilliant humor with Patrick providing excellent jokes.

10/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
I love this episode, Granny's character is so funny and I liked the way they put some actual grandma references like Granny playing old songs, doesn't have the body to dance as she used to, voice, hooligans, boogie woogie dance etc. Also, the ending is SOOOO sweet, the song is amazing (made me cry when I was 8-9) , some good quotes here too! Patrick is also a good friend..he helps SpongeBob to find Gary and yeah this episode is awesome, and a little bit underrated I'd say , 10/10 :D

I'm not gonna lie, this is the most heart-warming special in the series, I actually almost started crying at the Gary Come Home part. Not as much in the jokes, as this takes a much more emotional turn on a classic "man's best friend" story. 10/10

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
This is my favorite special of the entire series. While there were not a whole lot of jokes that I would call hilarious, there was a very heartwarming and emotional story that made up for it greatly. It shows that a SpongeBob episode doesn't have to be funny to be spectacular; all there needs to be is a good plot. There were some great jokes like Squidward screaming when SB and Pat walked into a bathroom (we can make a meme out of that!), "Who is this 'Lisa' person?!", and Granny's character. But what makes this episode beautiful was just the sheer emotion. I cry whenever the "Gary come Home" song comes on, since it shows that the thought of losing a pet can be tragic, considering that I have lost my little cat Moonlight about a year ago. Patrick was also very likable here. He helped SB find Gary, which proves that he isn't always an idiotic little pink blob. While the ending was a little cliche, SpongeBob and Gary hugging was super sweet and I was really happy to find out that Gary wasn't gone. This obviously gets a 10/10 from me. Not only is it in my top 5 favorite SB episodes of all time, it is my favorite post-movie SB episode and favorite SB special.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Have You seen this Snail (S4-E63)

I LOVE THIS EPISODE!!! I ALSO LOVE THE SONG!!! What a sweet and sad episode to watch.

Final Score = 9/10

(500th post! :yay:)

Let me explain myself here. I think this special is good, but overrated. While yes, the whole episode is touching, a "losing your pet" type of episode isn't one that works too well with SpongeBob. They tried as hard as they could. But the main problem with this episode is that it isn't funny. While yes there were a few jokes, the whole episode felt dry on humor. You could argue that an episode like this doesn't need jokes, but SpongeBob is a comedy show, and the writers should focus more on comedy than story. That being said, I'm still giving this episode an "A", because it's great otherwise, but it could've used a few more jokes.

Ranking so far:
1. The Lost Mattress (A)
2. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
3. Have You Seen This Snail? (A)
4. Krabs vs. Plankton (B)
5. Shell of a Man (C)

MimicMadness

Born On January 14
This is one of my favorite episodes in the show, but the song made me sad. I wonder how Patrick broke the record by playing with the paddle ball. Actually, this is my second favorite Season 4 episode, after Krusty Towers.

My rating for this episode: 9/10
You: YAKYAKYAK NINE HOURS LATER 449/10

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This episode is great. It manages to have a heartfelt and emotional story without forgetting to tell jokes every now and again. This is the type of episode the series needed to show that it's not all sunshine and rainbows, and it can still be serious when it wants to be. Also, this should go without saying, but the song is amazing. My only nitpicks about this episode are that the ending felt a bit rushed, and the story obviously feels a bit weaker in some parts. Other than that, man, what an episode.

Great episode (9/10)

1. Have You Seen This Snail? (9)

2. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
3. Krabs vs. Plankton (8)
4. Shell of a Man (7)
5. The Lost Mattress (7)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This episode is heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. Making it a really depression inducing episode. Better than Dumped even though i like that episode.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Krabs Vs. Plankton (Great)
Have you Seen this Snail? (Great)
Shell of a Man (Delightful)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)

Last edited:

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
One of the most critically acclaimed episodes of them all.. did it live up to MY expectations? Not really. Now don't get me wrong, I like this episode, but not as much as anyone else. I'm gonna start off by mentioning the negatives.
1. A decent chunk of the special just consists of Spongebob moping around, sad about losing Gary, which doesn't leave enough room for the potential scenes of Gary trying to adapt to his new life, which I wanted to see more of.
2. I also think some of the jokes in here didn't really make sense. When Patrick eats the coagulated seahorse-milk, he implies that Spongebob has been taking the dirty bubble challenge for a little over a week. Wasn't the milk supposed to be fresh? How did it coagulate that quick? I guess Spongebob lied about it being fresh..

With that being said, I did enjoy the rest of the episode. It's concept of Gary running away in search for a new owner had been kindof explored before in "Dumped", but I believe this episode delivers even more to the table. And although the humor could've been improved a bit, the joke that Patrick won the Dirty Bubble challenge, but lost the trophy is, in my opinion, one of the most well-done jokes in the series. I especially enjoyed the old Snail Lady herself. She's a pretty mysterious character, and she leaves it up to us to decide whether she genuinely wants to take care of Gary, or wants to ruin his life.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I was definitely not expecting this to be the next episode I review, but you know what, I'm into it. I mean...are you surprised? I'm CEO of Gary the Snail, of course writing this review will be my calling. That's right, we're here at "Have You Seen This Snail?"!!! AKA one of the most famous SpongeBob SquarePants episodes of all time, almost entirely because of it's famous tear-jerking sound, "Gary Come Home", which I will be discussing later. Let's get started with this review though, because it may be a long one.

This episode starts out decently enough. I wasn't very thoroughly entertained by the first bit with SpongeBob struggling to carry the snail food and Patrick acting like an idiot and dragging the whole thing out, but it wasn't too frustrating so I'll give it enough of a pass. The painting of SpongeBob holding the note was visually interesting, I'll say that much. This episode gets right into telling us what the plot is gonna be with that shot of the snail food outside the door. I'll always appreciate when episodes get straight to the point of it all. And then we get SpongeBob playing with the paddleball. His "darn it" is thankfully not grating, or else I would be very annoyed very quickly. I also like that Gary wastes no time in getting out of dodge when SpongeBob starts mistreating him. Mostly because it makes that segment not last for an excruciatingly long time. I can't stand when episodes do that, like we get the point, no need to drag it out.

And yeah, let me make this clear right now, SpongeBob is definitely a jerkwad in this beginning portion of the episode. I wouldn't call it a problem of this episode, though. Because first off, it doesn't actually last all that long, considering his instant regret when Gary leaves, and spending the rest of the episode trying to make it up to him. And also, even though SpongeBob does love Gary immensely, this isn't the first time he's done something like this ("The Great Snail Race", anyone?). And SpongeBob has been established as a bit of a perfectionist, not to mention that his propensity to get caught up in something is nothing new. He does the exact same thing at the Krusty Krab, except this kind of behavior is rewarded there. So I don't think this is out of character for SpongeBob at all.

Moving on, I like the scene of Patrick going to check on SpongeBob. I like the fake-out with the bag, and then I love the eerie feeling when Patrick goes searching for SpongeBob in his pineapple. Hearing those muffled "darn it"s really add to the scene. And then we see SpongeBob hunched over in the harsh light, with all of his stuff knocked over. I love how dramatic it is. And then I'm glad that SpongeBob snaps out of his focus on the challenge quickly enough. See, it's moments like these where I'm convinced that SpongeBob is ADHD-coded...no seriously I could write an entire essay on how this episode shows that. But I'm not going to right now at least. But SpongeBob really just had a textbook hyperfocus and hyperfixation moment, as we see he only thinks its been a couple of hours when it's actually been 10 days. And that's another thing I like here, which makes SpongeBob seem a lot more in character, because he doesn't realize he's completely neglected Gary until Patrick says it's been 10 days. Makes his behavior a lot more understandable, if still not great.

Also, real quick, the gag with Patrick and the milk is hilarious. This episode is full of iconic moments beyond "Gary's Song". I mean Patrick shuddering has become a meme, and then of course we have the origin of "x drops by Squidward's house". First off, this is just a really funny moment on its own, but the memes of it are also great. I'm quite partial to the Sparta remix of it myself.

Gary's segment of this episode is great. While not particularly funny, it's ripe full of tension, especially once things start getting questionable what with those shells and all. It's just a really great segment. Unfortunately I don't have the energy to expound too much more on this but just know I really like it lol.

"Have You Seen This Snail?" has some very good production. First off, some of the backgrounds in this episode are absolutely gorgeous. Like when Gary runs away, and there's that wonderful shot of Conch Street at dusk? Ugh I love that background so much. There's also the background when Gary is on the bus as dusk, which has some beautiful yellows and oranges. And then of course, another part of the production in this episode is the music. And I would never even consider writing a review of this episode without talking about "Gary's Song". First off, the visuals of this song are great. All are beautifully painted and I love the animation used here, I don't know how to describe it, it's very limited kind of slow-mo looking thing. I just like it okay. And then the instrumentals of this song are actually really cool. If you haven't heard them before, I'd recommend checking them out here. And then, of course, we have the vocals. Stew really went off, because this song is beautifully sung. And altogether "Gary's Song" is simply a masterpiece. It's completely understandable why it's one of the most well-known songs of the show, not to mention many people's favorite.

Speaking of production songs, there's the much less well-known original song from this episode, "Where's Gary". You know, I actually like this song more than "Gary's Song". I think it's probably because I've heard it less, so it has more novelty for me (even though I've heard it for a very long time). But I like how almost upbeat it sounds. At the very least, it's not a ballad like "Gary's Song". Nothing wrong with ballads, but I like energetic music a lot too. And the lyrics to this one are fun as well. Tom Kenny really went off recording this.

The ending of this episode is very wholesome too. I love SpongeBob despairing at the Gary billboard, and Gary finally making his way back to SpongeBob. And then when SpongeBob realizes Gary is there, ugh so cute!! The backing track in this scene, "Celebrations", is really good as well. I wish it was used more. The ending is very satisfying and earned by both parties, so I'm satisfied.

"Have You Seen This Snail?" is a really great special, full of funny and emotional moments, as well as iconic moments everywhere. Definitely a worthy addition to my "Amazing" tier, because I really don't have any problems with it. Maybe some weak moments, but altogether it's pretty great.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
I was definitely not expecting this to be the next episode I review, but you know what, I'm into it. I mean...are you surprised? I'm CEO of Gary the Snail, of course writing this review will be my calling. That's right, we're here at "Have You Seen This Snail?"!!! AKA one of the most famous SpongeBob SquarePants episodes of all time, almost entirely because of it's famous tear-jerking sound, "Gary Come Home", which I will be discussing later. Let's get started with this review though, because it may be a long one.

This episode starts out decently enough. I wasn't very thoroughly entertained by the first bit with SpongeBob struggling to carry the snail food and Patrick acting like an idiot and dragging the whole thing out, but it wasn't too frustrating so I'll give it enough of a pass. The painting of SpongeBob holding the note was visually interesting, I'll say that much. This episode gets right into telling us what the plot is gonna be with that shot of the snail food outside the door. I'll always appreciate when episodes get straight to the point of it all. And then we get SpongeBob playing with the paddleball. His "darn it" is thankfully not grating, or else I would be very annoyed very quickly. I also like that Gary wastes no time in getting out of dodge when SpongeBob starts mistreating him. Mostly because it makes that segment not last for an excruciatingly long time. I can't stand when episodes do that, like we get the point, no need to drag it out.

And yeah, let me make this clear right now, SpongeBob is definitely a jerkwad in this beginning portion of the episode. I wouldn't call it a problem of this episode, though. Because first off, it doesn't actually last all that long, considering his instant regret when Gary leaves, and spending the rest of the episode trying to make it up to him. And also, even though SpongeBob does love Gary immensely, this isn't the first time he's done something like this ("The Great Snail Race", anyone?). And SpongeBob has been established as a bit of a perfectionist, not to mention that his propensity to get caught up in something is nothing new. He does the exact same thing at the Krusty Krab, except this kind of behavior is rewarded there. So I don't think this is out of character for SpongeBob at all.

Moving on, I like the scene of Patrick going to check on SpongeBob. I like the fake-out with the bag, and then I love the eerie feeling when Patrick goes searching for SpongeBob in his pineapple. Hearing those muffled "darn it"s really add to the scene. And then we see SpongeBob hunched over in the harsh light, with all of his stuff knocked over. I love how dramatic it is. And then I'm glad that SpongeBob snaps out of his focus on the challenge quickly enough. See, it's moments like these where I'm convinced that SpongeBob is ADHD-coded...no seriously I could write an entire essay on how this episode shows that. But I'm not going to right now at least. But SpongeBob really just had a textbook hyperfocus and hyperfixation moment, as we see he only thinks its been a couple of hours when it's actually been 10 days. And that's another thing I like here, which makes SpongeBob seem a lot more in character, because he doesn't realize he's completely neglected Gary until Patrick says it's been 10 days. Makes his behavior a lot more understandable, if still not great.

Also, real quick, the gag with Patrick and the milk is hilarious. This episode is full of iconic moments beyond "Gary's Song". I mean Patrick shuddering has become a meme, and then of course we have the origin of "x drops by Squidward's house". First off, this is just a really funny moment on its own, but the memes of it are also great. I'm quite partial to the Sparta remix of it myself.

Gary's segment of this episode is great. While not particularly funny, it's ripe full of tension, especially once things start getting questionable what with those shells and all. It's just a really great segment. Unfortunately I don't have the energy to expound too much more on this but just know I really like it lol.

"Have You Seen This Snail?" has some very good production. First off, some of the backgrounds in this episode are absolutely gorgeous. Like when Gary runs away, and there's that wonderful shot of Conch Street at dusk? Ugh I love that background so much. There's also the background when Gary is on the bus as dusk, which has some beautiful yellows and oranges. And then of course, another part of the production in this episode is the music. And I would never even consider writing a review of this episode without talking about "Gary's Song". First off, the visuals of this song are great. All are beautifully painted and I love the animation used here, I don't know how to describe it, it's very limited kind of slow-mo looking thing. I just like it okay. And then the instrumentals of this song are actually really cool. If you haven't heard them before, I'd recommend checking them out here. And then, of course, we have the vocals. Stew really went off, because this song is beautifully sung. And altogether "Gary's Song" is simply a masterpiece. It's completely understandable why it's one of the most well-known songs of the show, not to mention many people's favorite.

Speaking of production songs, there's the much less well-known original song from this episode, "Where's Gary". You know, I actually like this song more than "Gary's Song". I think it's probably because I've heard it less, so it has more novelty for me (even though I've heard it for a very long time). But I like how almost upbeat it sounds. At the very least, it's not a ballad like "Gary's Song". Nothing wrong with ballads, but I like energetic music a lot too. And the lyrics to this one are fun as well. Tom Kenny really went off recording this.

The ending of this episode is very wholesome too. I love SpongeBob despairing at the Gary billboard, and Gary finally making his way back to SpongeBob. And then when SpongeBob realizes Gary is there, ugh so cute!! The backing track in this scene, "Celebrations", is really good as well. I wish it was used more. The ending is very satisfying and earned by both parties, so I'm satisfied.

"Have You Seen This Snail?" is a really great special, full of funny and emotional moments, as well as iconic moments everywhere. Definitely a worthy addition to my "Amazing" tier, because I really don't have any problems with it. Maybe some weak moments, but altogether it's pretty great.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10
i really like SpongeBob's design in this episode, and in most of season 4. his season 4 eyebrows are my favorite part of this design

ezgif-4-c1335be75d.jpg

and also yeah, where's gary is way better than gary come home, good to know am not the only one who thinks that

Back