62a. The Lost Mattress

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Lol. I tried to make it hyperbolic to make it joke-y. Perhaps I should've made it more clear.

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
Pretty overrated episode. While it wasn't terrible, it didn't particularly grab my interest as it wasn't too funny, and I felt some of the jokes like Squidward getting attacked by the worm got old quite quickly. Plus, I didn't like how rude Squidward was to SpongeBob and Pat in the episode. I like some parts such as the mattress shopping sequence as well as the fact that Mr. Krabs's mattress is literally just used for the money, but all in all I find this to be an overrated and weaker episode of the first half of Season 4.

5.1/10

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
This episode may be the first one I ever saw, and it holds a very special place in my heart. I get nostalgic every time I see it. In fact, I used to think it was a season 3 episode just for how many good gags and nice appeal there was all throughout this one. The Squid torture makes sense, I love it, and I think this one is really good.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I think this is a pretty underrated episode. It's comedy is really good, it's not a Squidward torture episode like many of the episodes are after it. Everyone gets their comeuppance in the end. Also, while the episode does focus on Mr. Krabs's cheapness, it doesn't feel forced or extreme. It's a pretty neat concept for the show.

I like this one. This is one of the very few, if not the only post movie episode where it's actually satisfying to see Squidward get punished. It's also got a great plot, and there are some really funny jokes in this episode.

Ranking so far:
1. The Lost Mattress (A)
2. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)
3. Shell of a Man (C)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one is pretty good. It had some nice jokes, and they actually gave a justifiable reason for Squidward to get tortured. While the writing did feel a bit dry at times, and the episode as a whole just felt a little dull, I would still consider it to be good, just because of the solid plotline and nice humor.

Good episode (7/10)

1. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8)
2. Shell of a Man (7)
3. The Lost Mattress (7)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I didnt really like this episode. It had a couple of decent jokes but its pretty boring and plus Squidward got tortured heck a lot here. At least at the end he got the TORTURE he deserved at the end.

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
Shell of a Man (Delightful)
The Lost Mattress (Okay)
Fear of a Krabby Patty (bad)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is probably the most story-driven episode of the entire season, and although there were some interesting stories being told in the pre-movie days, the episode takes it to a whole new level by removing a core element of the show, and being able to tell a good story with multiple plot points and a decent amount of good jokes, especially at the hospital. This is the basic definition of a solid episode.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I think this is a pretty underrated episode. It's comedy is really good, it's not a Squidward torture episode like many of the episodes are after it. Everyone gets their comeuppance in the end. Also, while the episode does focus on Mr. Krabs's cheapness, it doesn't feel forced or extreme. It's a pretty neat concept for the show.
Today we're here with an old review of "The Lost Mattress", a review I plan to update thoroughly, as my opinions have grown since 2018. I've been busy doing work and recording my YouTube reviews today, which is why this review is coming in relatively later than usual.

I still stand by my old assessment that this is a pretty underrated episode, which is such a shame, because I really like "The Lost Mattress" lol. I like the beginning shot of this episode being of Big Ben, mostly because it immediately makes you question what the H you're watching. But then of course the camera pans out to show that it's just Squidward's watch. Speaking of liking the beginning of this episode, I like how Squidward just walks into the doors, and I like SpongeBob sitting outside the locked Krusty Krab freaking out. Sometimes SpongeBob is just a little weirdo and that's okay! Then we get a shot that reminds me of "Squid on Strike", which I appreciate. Also, did anyone else notice that the Krusty Krab in this part of the episode doesn't have the pavement surrounding it? Very interesting lol. I wonder why that happened? It keeps sticking out to me.

This first part of the episode also has Mr. Krabs acting very much like a dad to SpongeBob with that whole lashing out in pain and then having to take it back deal. You know I'll always take my fatherly Mr. Krabs crumbs so of course I had to point this out. And then of course SpongeBob is his very caring self, being worried for Mr. Krabs. Squidward's got some good snarky lines in here too. I like how SpongeBob's like "you'll warm up to the idea".

Patrick enters this episode very randomly yet unceremoniously. Nothing to complain about there, I just like how without fanfare it is. The bit at the mattress store is one of the more well-known parts of this episode, which is very interesting to me because Patrick's gross underestimation is not outrageously funny, but I think it's often used as a reaction meme so that's probably why it's more well-known. I like the montage of the best friends at the montage store, some of those mattresses looked really nice let's be real. I also like how childish SpongeBob and Patrick are in this episode. It's nothing crazy, but it toes the line I love to talk about very well. And the making a card thing is just so cute. I like that Squidward gets involved to, just like SpongeBob said he would (of course he has less than honest intentions). I like that Patrick calls him out on it too. Patrick and Squidward have that interesting dynamic sometimes, where SpongeBob is more of the connection between them than anything, and so Patrick will call Squidward out for doing some rude stuff. It doesn't happen very often, but it has happened, and I think it's neat.

This episode is another one of those episodes with two distinct segments, though in this case we do get a pretty lengthy transition scene between the first segment and the second. And man is this transition scene fun, seeing Mr. Krabs get more and more irate as he hears about what happened to his mattress. And we get a nice bit of early universal justice as he pounces on Squidward for hauling his money-filled mattress in the dump. The scene is perfectly dramatic and I love it. I love the bit with Mr. Krabs waking up for the card, only to faint again.

This episode is really filled with some brilliant jokes. Like the part where the cop is in the room and Squidward has to stop himself from saying that he's going to murder SpongeBob. Or, the more well-known entirety of the B-plot/side gag of Mr. Krabs at the hospital while Squidward, Patrick, and SpongeBob retrieve his mattress at the dump. This is definitely one of my favorite jokes in this whole show (link to it here). First we got Mr. Krabs being forced out of the room because he can't afford it, but then becoming an eyesore, so just being forced outside. The funeral music and Mr. Krabs' groans are just amazing and sell the whole thing along with the line deliveries. What a perfect representation of the United States Healthcare System. I'm not even going to strikethrough that one, that's exactly what it is. This is the same show that made "Squid On Strike", this is tame compared to the political commentary that was that entire episode.

As for SpongeBob, Squidward, and Patrick's segment, it may not be as funny as this lengthy joke, but it's still pretty enjoyable. We've got some great slapstick here, as well as more universal justice being doled out to Squidward, which is deserved. And it's not egregious either. I like how Mr. Krabs manages to burst back onto the scene and "defend his territory", so to speak. I love SpongeBob's "run Mr. Krabs! Run like you're not in a coma!" line. And then of course we get a lovely stinger at the end, with the worm landing in Squidward's arms and him having to run away.

Real quick, I just wanted to shout out the beautiful backgrounds in this episode. I love the exterior of the hospital at night, and the dump looks pretty cool too. And then when morning comes around we get those beautiful blue, greens, and yellows that remind me of "Home Sweet Pineapple" or "Rock-A-Bye Bivalve". Just gorgeous as always.

"The Lost Mattress" is a really enjoyable episode with some clever and hilarious gags. It's also interesting that this episode manages to have a B-plot for a good portion of it, as that's not a usual occurrence in SpongeBob SquarePants. Yeah the B-plot is really like a side-gag more than anything, but it still counts to me. This episode is definitely better in its second half than its first, but I still enjoy all of it through and through. A worthy addition to my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.2/10

Last edited:

Sponge64

New Kelp City's Mayor
This has to be one of those episodes that were written for Season 3, but was delayed because of the whole limit. Look, this one is awesome. It's the Chocolate with Nuts but Season 4. It's just, good! Oh, man. The gags made me laugh, and I smiled a few times! This one is an episode for the history books!

Aesop

Rhythm Games Yippee!!!
Pretty good episode. The plot is entertaining for how simple it is, and almost all of the jokes get a chuckle or smile out of me. I also like how the episode treats Squidward as what happens to him is completely justified and they don't take it too far.

Back