61a. Fear of a Krabby Patty

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
This is the first episode I likely ever saw. I have very fond memories of it, and it holds up in a way. I really like some of the comedy that's spewed here and there, and the plot makes sense. It's basically a continuation of Graveyard shift with Plankton involved, it's not a bad idea. It has some good jokes, especially with Plankton, and SpongeBob isn't terrible. It's not the best first episode to ever see, but I still have my appreciation for it. I think it's good.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I really like the animation in this episode, I like the little stumps. I feel like this episode was a prelude to season 9b+ because of how expressive it is. It's a good plot, and it's filled with so many gags that it really feels at home in season 2 or 3.

It's a good episode. I think it was nice to see a change of pace. While the plot did seem similar to Graveyard Shift, I still think they handled it very still, and it gave us a good message.

Ranking so far:
1. Fear of a Krabby Patty (A)

GuyAtWalmart

Banished
This is one of the more gag centered episodes. Saying that it's also one of the better episodes of Season 4.
That's all I can really say.

1. Help Wanted (10/10)
2. The Algae's Always Greener (10/10)
3. Your Shoes Untied (8/10)
4. Fear of a Krabby Patty (8/10)
5. Patrick's Coupon (7.9/10)

durthblurth

the guy who draws the toons
I like this episode! The segments with Peter Lankton and Spongebob actually got a few laughs out of me. Decent!

7.5/10

BrendaMarzipan

Imitation Krab
I had Season 4 on DVD and curiously, i don't remember of ever watching that one, strange, isn't it?

So it was pretty fresh for me, and i have to say that, at first, it didn't amuse much, i thought the episode had pacing problems and not much going for it. I was ready to give it a B.

But then, upon re-watching it i found that it had much more to offer.

First, the animation: it's amazing, the characters are incredibly expressive when they need to be but there are also a lot of moments when they're more still, unlike the newer seasons which don't give you much time to breath and are just over-the-top all the time. I don't know exactly why that is, but if i had to put my finger on it, i'd say that it has to do with Alan Smart, it was his first episode as animation director since "Jellyfishing", a Season 1 episode. He continued to work on the show after that episode and, unfortunately, was credited in some "duds" like Krabby Road - which is not a bad episode, but is not well-animated - and others.

He also worked on Ren & Stimpy, which would easily explain that sequence of expressions that just scream John Kricfalusi to me:

XJlvQLU.png

The story is not complex or anything but as a leftover from Season 3 it's still creative and gives a lot of room for comedy, which the episode explores nicely.

Not all the gags/ jokes work, which to me gives a very Season 3 vibe to it. Pre-movie was not only about getting everything right, it was always about taking risks. The gags that DO work are super funny, like the guy being like "Sure. I don't know. Why not? Oh, okay. Sure.", i love that bit.

Overall it's a very enjoyable episode that i can see myself coming back to a lot of times more in the future. I think it deserves a A-.

Squidward1999

Balloon Traveler
122 Conch Street, Bikini Bottom (or the USA)
I was just wondering, when Plankton (in his Peter Lankton disguise) called to order 10,000 Krabby Patty's to get SpongeBob to crack. Couldn't he just ordered a Krabby Patty and have it delivered to him somewhere else? Then he could have gotten the secret formula...

But overall that was just a thought that came up in my mind, it doesn't ruin the episode for me and I think that Fear of a Krabby Patty is pretty good.

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I like this one quite a bit. The first half isn't too interesting, but the second half is where it really gets good. It's one of Plankton's more interesting schemes, and there's a lot of good gags that come from it. I also adore the animation in this episode, it's probably one of my favorite looking Spongebob episodes. Spongebob was a little annoying near the beginning of this episode, but it doesn't bother me too much. It's still a really good episode, and a nice way to start off the post-movie era!

Good episode (8/10)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is one of the most interesting and memorable episodes of season 4. The animation is definitely a step up from the previous season (it's fluid, it's bright and the physical humor makes it better), i also love the jokes that they tell in this one (my favorite being the random 4th wall break in that montage), but the story is definitely the strongest point. The concept of plankton causing the Krusty Krab to become overworked is very intriguing, and although the execution isn't perfect, it's very enjoyable, and the pacing is very good!
It's one of the best episodes of Season 4 without a doubt.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I find this episode to be pretty bad. The episode is boring and straight up annoying. I dont like this one.

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
Fear of a Krabby Patty (Bad)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Hello everyone!! Here we are in the lovely month of February, ready to do some more reviews! That's right, today we're starting off the season 4 reviews! I'm excited to get to these, because we're gonna finally be tackling the real hard-hitters, the real controversial epsiodes. And as a SpongeBob SquarePants defender, it's always fun to see where my opinions are going to lie. But that's all in the future, because today we're here with "Fear of a Krabby Patty", which is a pretty good start to the season, in my opinion.

Right off the bat, the first thing that always gets me is the art style in this episode. It's pretty unique compared to other episodes of the show, and I really like it. It's hard to say how it's different, but I know that most people recognize it too. It feels more...round than the normal art style? And the eyes are bigger too. I feel like I remember reading somewhere the reason why this episode is so different, but I can't remember it now. Whatever it is, I'll just sit here enjoying this art style. It kind of feels like a test run of the type of stuff we'd see once season 9 rolls around, as the animation gets very exaggerated and fluid at points, much like the later seasons of SpongeBob SquarePants.

In terms of the episode itself, I quite like it. The plot immediately kicks into gear at the outset of the episode, with Mr. Krabs making a new business hours sign for the Krusty Krab. I like the whole gag with him dressing up like a stereotypical artist to do so, using an easel and everything too. It's in episodes like these that you remember that Squidward and SpongeBob are literally the only Krusty Krab employees lol. As Squidward cries out in outrage, I like the gag with him zipping up the kitchen window. I really like that the crux for the plot is Mr. Krabs' competitiveness with Plankton, which causes him to make the Krusty Krab open 24 hours. I feel like this episode has a much different take on the concept than "Graveyard Shift", which is keeps this episode from feeling redundant when remembering the existence of that one. SpongeBob bursting through the wall in happiness (a great example of continuity between gags) is also really cute and funny, not to mention a reaction meme I have saved on my phone lol.

Plankton's plan in this episode is actually lowkey very smart and thought-out. When situated in the broader context of the show, it's kind of cool how Plankton's first appearance right after the movie is of him having a really smart plan just like he did in the movie. This is also Plankton's (and Karen's!) first appearance after being upgraded to a main character, so it's cool that he appears right away like this. I love Karen's remark that she's "heard this joke before", that moment always gets me laughing.

The bit of Mr. Krabs with the bell is great, and I love Squidward's "even my bags have bags" line, complete with a very-detailed close-up, as is the SpongeBob SquarePants way. SpongeBob's endless enthusiasm is cute too, but even I have to agree with Squidward that there ain't something right about that boy lmao. And then the part where Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob about the huge order, SpongeBob is literally so adorable in this scene I can't.

I really enjoy the montage of the endless days. Seeing everyone get more and more tired and probably insane, and then the gag with Old Man Jenkins (or I guess that isn't him, just an old man fish), it's all pretty funny and a great way of showing time passing in this episode beyond just a simple cut. This episode is really on the mark with all the visual gags, like SpongeBob's crazy look when he starts pushing out random stuff instead of Krabby Patties. I love how all of this ends up with him being scared of Krabby Patties too, and the whole part with all the giant Krabby Patties is great. And then of course, I love the dramatics of the "I WANT TO LIVE!!" part, and I just love the dramatic cue with Squidward's tired face. Hilarious.

From here, we move into a kind of "part 2" for this episode, as this is one of those episodes with two kind of distinct halves. And this section is not as strong as the first, but it's still pretty good. It just takes a second to get really funny though. But once SpongeBob brings out that piano, the episode returns to what some may call a barrel of laughs. And i love that the piano gag is brought back later. It reminds me of that one asdfmovie joke. Do you guys remember those? Anyway, Plankton's attempts to get SpongeBob to tell him the formula vary in entertainment value, kind of leaning towards the meh side unless there's a particularly good joke in there. I do really enjoy the dream sequence with SpongeBob and the Krabby Patty though. The Krabby Patty's voice is inherently funny to me for some reason, and I love the arteries bit.

The episode ends pretty well too, you know I love endings where everyone's laughing, because they're wholesome and they usually include one last stinger, like in this episode where Mr. Krabs "generously" cuts the hours down to 23 from 24. Good luck SpongeBob...good luck.

"Fear of a Krabby Patty" is a pretty good episode, in my opinion. I think it's pretty funny, and doesn't really drag at any point. Like on some watches the stuff with Plankton ends up feeling nearly dull for me, but on others they don't so it really just depends on my mood. So I think this episode still deserves to be in my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.2/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Hello everyone!! Here we are in the lovely month of February, ready to do some more reviews! That's right, today we're starting off the season 4 reviews! I'm excited to get to these, because we're gonna finally be tackling the real hard-hitters, the real controversial epsiodes. And as a SpongeBob SquarePants defender, it's always fun to see where my opinions are going to lie. But that's all in the future, because today we're here with "Fear of a Krabby Patty", which is a pretty good start to the season, in my opinion.

Right off the bat, the first thing that always gets me is the art style in this episode. It's pretty unique compared to other episodes of the show, and I really like it. It's hard to say how it's different, but I know that most people recognize it too. It feels more...round than the normal art style? And the eyes are bigger too. I feel like I remember reading somewhere the reason why this episode is so different, but I can't remember it now. Whatever it is, I'll just sit here enjoying this art style. It kind of feels like a test run of the type of stuff we'd see once season 9 rolls around, as the animation gets very exaggerated and fluid at points, much like the later seasons of SpongeBob SquarePants.

In terms of the episode itself, I quite like it. The plot immediately kicks into gear at the outset of the episode, with Mr. Krabs making a new business hours sign for the Krusty Krab. I like the whole gag with him dressing up like a stereotypical artist to do so, using an easel and everything too. It's in episodes like these that you remember that Squidward and SpongeBob are literally the only Krusty Krab employees lol. As Squidward cries out in outrage, I like the gag with him zipping up the kitchen window. I really like that the crux for the plot is Mr. Krabs' competitiveness with Plankton, which causes him to make the Krusty Krab open 24 hours. I feel like this episode has a much different take on the concept than "Graveyard Shift", which is keeps this episode from feeling redundant when remembering the existence of that one. SpongeBob bursting through the wall in happiness (a great example of continuity between gags) is also really cute and funny, not to mention a reaction meme I have saved on my phone lol.

Plankton's plan in this episode is actually lowkey very smart and thought-out. When situated in the broader context of the show, it's kind of cool how Plankton's first appearance right after the movie is of him having a really smart plan just like he did in the movie. This is also Plankton's (and Karen's!) first appearance after being upgraded to a main character, so it's cool that he appears right away like this. I love Karen's remark that she's "heard this joke before", that moment always gets me laughing.

The bit of Mr. Krabs with the bell is great, and I love Squidward's "even my bags have bags" line, complete with a very-detailed close-up, as is the SpongeBob SquarePants way. SpongeBob's endless enthusiasm is cute too, but even I have to agree with Squidward that there ain't something right about that boy lmao. And then the part where Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob about the huge order, SpongeBob is literally so adorable in this scene I can't.

I really enjoy the montage of the endless days. Seeing everyone get more and more tired and probably insane, and then the gag with Old Man Jenkins (or I guess that isn't him, just an old man fish), it's all pretty funny and a great way of showing time passing in this episode beyond just a simple cut. This episode is really on the mark with all the visual gags, like SpongeBob's crazy look when he starts pushing out random stuff instead of Krabby Patties. I love how all of this ends up with him being scared of Krabby Patties too, and the whole part with all the giant Krabby Patties is great. And then of course, I love the dramatics of the "I WANT TO LIVE!!" part, and I just love the dramatic cue with Squidward's tired face. Hilarious.

From here, we move into a kind of "part 2" for this episode, as this is one of those episodes with two kind of distinct halves. And this section is not as strong as the first, but it's still pretty good. It just takes a second to get really funny though. But once SpongeBob brings out that piano, the episode returns to what some may call a barrel of laughs. And i love that the piano gag is brought back later. It reminds me of that one asdfmovie joke. Do you guys remember those? Anyway, Plankton's attempts to get SpongeBob to tell him the formula vary in entertainment value, kind of leaning towards the meh side unless there's a particularly good joke in there. I do really enjoy the dream sequence with SpongeBob and the Krabby Patty though. The Krabby Patty's voice is inherently funny to me for some reason, and I love the arteries bit.

The episode ends pretty well too, you know I love endings where everyone's laughing, because they're wholesome and they usually include one last stinger, like in this episode where Mr. Krabs "generously" cuts the hours down to 23 from 24. Good luck SpongeBob...good luck.

"Fear of a Krabby Patty" is a pretty good episode, in my opinion. I think it's pretty funny, and doesn't really drag at any point. Like on some watches the stuff with Plankton ends up feeling nearly dull for me, but on others they don't so it really just depends on my mood. So I think this episode still deserves to be in my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.2/10
the reason this episode looks so different, is because CH, Greenblatt storyboarded it

his artstyle is very expressive 1675335918670.jpeg
he also storyboarded dying for pie, which also looks very different

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
the reason this episode looks so different, is because CH, Greenblatt storyboarded it

his artstyle is very expressive View attachment 17875
he also storyboarded dying for pie, which also looks very different
Okay that's what I was thinking, I kept thinking C.H. Greenblatt but I didn't wanna be wrong lmao.

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
Man this episode is hilarious I love "wait where'd you get that piano" "DAY 15 GIVE IT UP FOR DAY 15" "and I'll be there to feast on the goo of his shattered psyche *weird noise" "Wait, what's going on? Whoa, whoa!" "I've arranged them into a piano! *the piano falls on plankton*" and the best one 'Just remember, SpongeBob, I'll always be with you right here,In my heart?,Actually, in your arteries" man this is one of the funniest episodes and one of the best episodes in the show
10/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I find this episode to be pretty bad. The episode is boring and straight up annoying. I dont like this one.

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
Fear of a Krabby Patty (Bad)

Upon rewatching this a year ago I now announce that my opinion changed

Review:
This episode is basically a ripoff (Graveyard Shift) that's good. It has many funny quotes and moments.

Some funny quotes and moments from this episode:
"Even my bags have bags"
"Where did you get that piano?"
"I arranged them into a piano"

Fun episode. I think the tc music is still high pitched and unsettling I still find this one annoying but less than I did previously

Rating: 9/10 Amazing

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
Upon rewatching this a year ago I now announce that my opinion changed

Review:
This episode is basically a ripoff (Graveyard Shift) that's good. It has many funny quotes and moments.

Some funny quotes and moments from this episode:
"Even my bags have bags"
"Where did you get that piano?"
"I arranged them into a piano"

Fun episode. I think the tc music is still high pitched and unsettling I still find this one annoying but less than I did previously

Rating: 9/10 Amazing
Well that’s good to know

Back