61a. Fear of a Krabby Patty

FictionMagician

Imitation Krab
This episode was really good, considering the circumstances as noted by others. First post-movie episode, different animation, new wriiters, etc. It does feel like it could've been a season 3 episode. However, there were already signs of the trouble that was to come One, the plot with the Krusty Krab being open either 24 hours or close to it was already technically used in Graveyard Shift, though that episode took a much different direction with it. Two, Mr. Krabs was getting closer and closer to being a full blown antagonist in the series. At least in the other example he didn't have a big role in the episode, in this one he forces Spongebob and Squidward to continue working until they go crazy (former) or essentially turn into zombies (latter), and at one point says that Squidward can "sit down for five minutes" and then it's back to work. It's straddling the line between being funny and just mean to the point where it's not funny, but it's serviceable. The really funny parts of the episode are when Plankton pretends to be a psychiatrist in order to get the formula from Spongebob's brain. Spongebob's constant incorrect answers to questions are amusing (he thinks the most powerful method of curing involves "fiber"), and Spongebob makes peace with krabby patties through hypnosis in the most weird and amusing way possible. The new animation is fine, the colors are more vivd and everything looks sharper, but it's nothing to rave about in my view. Overall, the episode is solid, especially compared with some of the later episodes that were to come, but the weaknesses are definitely greater than they were before. If you're new to Spongebob, watch the first three seasons before this one.

7/10

Smaher

Moby Dollar
PhilipB said:
I've been rewatching this and it isn't a bad episode at all, it's a funny episode.

I think the problem is the switch to 3D animation. I don't think it was a good decision at all as it changed the style of the show. I think that if they'd kept the same system for at least a few more seasons it would have been okay. I just don't like the new style they use in the episodes starting with FoaKP.
What 3D animation are you talking about?

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Smaher said:
What 3D animation are you talking about?
No idea why my 16 year old self called it '3D animation'. Basically I'm talking about the new style of animation that they introduced in season 4. I guess the best way to describe it is that it was more 'fluid' than the old style.

Supmandude said:
What are you talking about? It's clearly 2D. I also heard they were using 3D painting on the SpongeBob Wiki, but I have no idea what they meant there either. It's been digital inking and painting since Season 2 so it isn't that, but it's still very obviously 2D animation.

They're still drawing by hand with tablets, it's digital, but not 3D. But it has been digital since Season 2 so I really have no idea what you mean. The palettes of the characters do look a little paler, but that's it and it only seems to affect the Season 4 episodes and none from the later seasons.
Only just saw this post. Yeah, I have no idea why I said '3D animation'. Ignore my dumb past self. It was the new animation style I was talking about, used from season 4 onwards.

Zee

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Spongetron Robotpants said:
Did anyone one else think this was a rip-off of Graveyard Shift? I mean, its not a bad episode, but I just think that way.
Yeah, it was pretty much Graveyard Shift with Mr. Krabs and Plankton in it...

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
One of my all-time favorites, the animation is top-notch and it has hilarious moments one after the other.

10/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
You know these episodes that you can watch 10 times in-a-row without getting bored? That's definitely the one for me...this season got started really well !!! (better than season 3 I'd say since I prefer this over ''The Algae's Always Greener'') , it is hilarious and it has good and funny quotes ...the ending was good as well! 10/10

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
this one aired on NickToons last night. :naughty: I enjoy it, but it's too bad for me to not rate it 9.9/10.

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
This is a really funny episode, not one of the best of season 4 but it's certainly up there, the plot is really good and the execution couldn't of been better it just works so well. I personally think it's the best season opener because it manages to be consistently funny while telling a great story. The only downside was SpongeBob's screaming but it's not as bad as *shudders* All That Glitters.

9/10

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
I like this episode. The jokes work but they aren't that great.

Also: I've seen this episode in Spanish like 5 or 6 times (same with Shell of a Man)

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
I liked it. Probably gets a lot of attention for being the 'big change' in spongebob. The plot is great, the faces are funny, the comedy is there, but you can still see the early workings of new spongebob with increased krusty krab importance. Oh well, I'll live with it. 9.5/10

Yes, the animation had been different, but the rest of the episodes just felt normal and only the animation of this episode stands out to me (I most likely may have forgot if they kept the style for the rest of Season 4) yet there are some features of this episode's animation in later Season 4 episodes. A good season premiere altogether. 8/10

AnthonyDaBest

Floating Shopping List
I liked this episode, it felt like a Season 3 episode somewhat. However, Mr. Krabs and Spongebob were a bit flanderized, like Mr. Krabs keeping the Krusty Krab open longer just because the Chum Bucket was open for 23 hours, and Spongebob kissed a Krabby Patty and also enjoyed not being able to leave. I also don't get why Mr. Krabs cared about Plankton leaving his restaurant open longer, no one even eats there. Despite these flaws, the episode was pretty enjoyable. 8/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
AnthonyDaBest said:
I liked this episode, it felt like a Season 3 episode somewhat. However, Mr. Krabs and Spongebob were a bit flanderized, like Mr. Krabs keeping the Krusty Krab open longer just because the Chum Bucket was open for 23 hours, and Spongebob kissed a Krabby Patty and also enjoyed not being able to leave. I also don't get why Mr. Krabs cared about Plankton leaving his restaurant open longer, no one even eats there. Despite these flaws, the episode was pretty enjoyable. 8/10
That's pretty normal behavior honestly

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
This is an episode that shows that season 4 ain't all so bad (ha.). I really love this episode. The animation was really peculiar, since everything was so stumpy-looking. Nonetheless, this episode had some hilarious dialogue, like "I told you that shirt was hideous" and "Wait, what's goin' on? Whoa, whoa!". While SpongeBob wasn't really at his best performance here, due to all the screaming and stuff, Plankton was a true standout. Plankton playing as Dr. Peter Lankton was just brilliant. I loved the psychiatrist scene in this episode, especially SpongeBob making a piano out of the cards with various ingredients and SpongeBob's dream. Everything about this episode was just so wacky and it stayed true to its spongy charm just like the episodes before the movie. The only downside was again, SpongeBob's screaming, but the hilarious exaggerated faces make up for it.
Just take a look at this:
V0oAX55.jpg

I give this episode a 9.5/10. :)

Back