59. The Sponge Who Could Fly

KingofOOO

Floating Shopping List
SB_DW_Fan said:
WHAT? This is the lost episode? I was so disappointed. I was expecting much better this special. This episode wasn't good actually, in fact this is the worst season 3 episode ever. This episode has potential in my opinion but I don't think the writers executed it very well. The main reason why I don't like this episode is Bikini Bottomies, also there were some boring parts in this episode. Bikini Bottomies were at their one of the worst in this episode. At first, they laugh at SpongeBob and call him birdman because SpongeBob's attempts to fly faied. Later they want SpongeBob to help them all time after SpongeBob get the ability to fly. When SpongeBob tries escape to Jellyfishing Fields, they tries to catch him because they want more favors of him. You know what part really pissed me off more? The part when one of Bikini Bottomies said "No! He owes us favors!". WHAT? They owe SpongeBob favors, not SpongeBob. SpongeBob helps them because he is kind but they wanted SpongeBob to become their butler. Bikini Bottomies are the worst characters in pre-movie era without a doubt. I don't hate this episode because I laughed at some parts in this episode, I loved Patchy's segment and I liked the songs in this episode. Overall, one of the most disappointing SpongeBob specials and one of the worse pre-movie episodes. 6/10
Thank you. Someone admits it!

It was horrible. Why? Patchy. I mean.

The reaction. The "Remembering Spongebob" thing. The shower part. The French narrator at the end.

What did I like?

The songs. There just fantastic.

The search for the so-called" lost episode". I mean, come on. The Seven Trials of Monkey Lagoon being a playground.

The walk cycles. Who did not see this coming? The music, the animation, the style and concept. It's memorable.

But really. Did we need a lost episode? Was it necessary? No.

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
A bland special. It doesn't have any jokes really and the townspeople are jerks. However, the Patchy segments are really memorable and amazing. I LOVED the Patchy segments and bring this episode up a lot. If they weren't as good as they were this would have gotten a 5/10, because of those segments, it's a 6.5/10

KingofOOO

Floating Shopping List
ElectricPikachu said:
I used to hate this episode when I was young. After watching it again, I like it a bit, only a little bit.

Pros:
- The Walking Cycles.
- The Patchy segments.
- The songs.
- SpongeBob's character.
- Patrick's character.

Cons:
- The Bikini Bottomies being mean-spirited.
- Some boring parts.
- This episode was a bit disappointing.

My least favorite Season 3 episode. 6/10.
Ok. Retry,

Pros-

~The Walk Cycle
~Songs
~Mariachi (I've typed it wrong didn't I)
~The search

Cons-

~Patchy
~Remembering Spongebob
~Everything else

SizzleFizzle

Imitation Krab
That music during the walk cycle doe...

P.S. Anyone know where I can watch this online? Thanks!

C​an't rate (haven't watched this episode more than 3 times.)

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 3

Episode: The Sponge Who Could Fly

This episode was pretty good. The plot was decent. The Bikini Bottomies were kinda mean spirited so it kinda lowered my score. The Patchy segments and the songs were great. There were some funny jokes. 7.5/10

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
I like this episode, I know a lot of people don't really like this one. I love the Patchy segments, they are really clever and it's just fun too watch. I'll admit the SpongeBob segments aren't particularly the most memorable. The concept isn't the best and it's not super funny. The SpongeBob segments weren't bad, just a little weak. In fact, if the Patchy segments weren't there, then this would've been a 7/10. There are good stuff in this episode, like the songs on this episode are good and there are a few funny jokes. Also, no, I don't think it's that much mean spirited to ruin the episode. I've seen a lot more mean spirited stuff from the townspeople.

7.5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Never thought it was as bad as it's made out to be. The biggest saviors are the fantastic and creative Patchy segments. It even has a cute homage to SpongeBob with some clips of older episodes, which makes this a far superior celebration compared to the episode that musn't be named, I also thought the music was very good (In your dreams Atlantis SquarePantis) not to mention it can be funny in the beginning. I also don't mind how Bikini Bottom act to SpongeBob, they were supposed to be villains, besides you can't really say it's OOC because they really aren't characters. They just exist for some funny lines and to serve the plot. To add to that I think it makes it even more rewarding to see SpongeBob fly in the episode. Despite this I still find this one okay over all. The plot kinda feels bare and dull, the idea of this as a special feels quite forced, besides some good jokes the humor feels pretty dry too. In general this episode just needs more.

6.5/10

1033Forest

Imitation Krab
This probably might be my favorite episode of all time, especially the Patchy parts. These Patchy parts were funny, and so is the ways that the sponge tries to fly.
10/10

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
I think I've started to warm up to this episode. I once considered it the worst of the Season but when I re-watched it I started to like it more. I don't think it's good. But it's not terrible either. It's just okay. Consider that rant I made in my S3 review kind of invalid.

This really is a heart-warming special IMO, it feels like a real Broadway musical (and it did become one actually). It is a little lacking on jokes, but as I stated it is heart-warming, cute, and a beautiful moral of friendship which is shown (and sung) at the ending. 8.5/10

Growlie

Best Boy
I'm watching this right now and, I noticed... doesn't Ms.Puffs' snail that fell from the tree look like Squidward's snail Snellie?

Squidward1984

Imitation Krab
One of my least favorite Season 3 episodes along with As Seen On TV. I just don't like the musical episodes that much. I also thought that this was more like a soap opera instead of a comedy. Besides the Patchy segments, this episode was just not funny and the Bikini Bottomites are probably at their meanest here. I'll give this episode a D-

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I do not like this episode in the slightest. I don't know if I'll ever make a full review on it, so I'll keep this short. The townspeople are insufferable and hard to watch, especially that scene where they care more about the pants than SpongeBob. Everything just feels like it's at a standstill in the episode. It feels like nothing happens. I mean, I know it's a special, but that's how I feel. I'm not going to give it a number rating.

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
Although there are some reedeming qualities in this episode, the episode itself wasn't really good and it is such a weak episode for Season 3. The majority of the characters were extremely unlikeable towards SpongeBob and he's already done many favors to them and they don't care about his dreams of flying. He wanted to be alone and fly with the jellyfishes or more specifically, have fun with them. Yeah, I already posted here twice, but I'm trying to make this opinion more informative and slightly less overexaggerating. The Patchy scenes actually made me interested in this episode and I was quite suprised on that and the song was actually good compared to a few other songs in other episodes, but for a Season 3 episode, it isn't really amusing. I never really enjoyed it as a kid, but as there are some interesting parts here and there, I think it is a really average episode and some of the weakest specials in the series. I thought this was my least favorite Season 3 episode, but that goes to Party Pooper Pants.

TheGreatServer

NOT a Bunny now!
Not the best but still good for what it was, i loved the ending song, And has arguably the best Patchy segments of the whole show.

7.5/10

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: The Sponge who could Fly (S3-E59)

I LOVE THIS EPISODE!!! I remember this episode when I was a child with autism. The Patchy scenes were hilarious, the songs are bright, catchy and sweet to hear; and the ending was great. But there are problems: Everybody's taking advantage of SpongeBob. After that, Old Man Jenkins (a.k.a. Cannonball Jenkins) blow up SpongeBob's inflatable pants and crashed into the ground. In the aftermath, they buried SpongeBob's broken inflatable pants. Yeah I don' care about these problems but it's PERFECT for me!!!

Final Score = 10/10 :fun: :imagination: :sbpopcorn: :sbhappy: :sbdance: :sbparty: :laughsquid: :bandgeek: :withasmile: :squidwhoo: :sandyomg: :squilliam3:
PERFECTION. This episode is a 5-star class!!!

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
The is another one of those specials that focuses way too much on plot. There's a few decent gags, but it gives off an eerie, almost dramatic feel to it. Why on Earth would I want a drama out of a comedy show? Granted it has some OK gags, but some of them don't land just because it feels so soap operaish, which is not good for a 22 minute special.

The plot isn't exactly the best ether, the first part reminds me of Nature Pants with him wanting to be with the jellyfish. Then the second reminds me a lot of Can You Spare a Dime and how they are abusing his kindness. If you're going to do something interesting with a plot for a special, I'd prefer it if it didn't feel like a rehash, Nature Pants wasn't something I even liked to begin with. It's not the most copy+paste of a story, but a special's plot is supposed to be something, well, SPECIAL.

The Bikini Bottomites are easily the biggest issue with this, they constantly make fun of him for having dreams, in a way similar to Bubble Buddy (except much more warranted then). We see people who have unfulfilled dreams, and it's actually kind of sad. Then when he does fly, everyone just abuses his powers, which I guess makes sense, but they do it without a single bit of remorse, kind of sad. Then they willingly shoot Jenkins at him cause he quote on quote "owes them favors". They hurt SpongeBob and bury his pants instead, which is pretty messed up and not funny at all. They made them so mean-spirited for the plot that it just feels off, feels like their plot needed it so they changed the character's around, they're never THIS mean in any other episode so it feels really forced.

Also when he starts flying, I'm kind of confused, he wants to go to Jellyfish Fields, so why does he go around helping people willingly at first? Seems kinda (again) forced, considering the whole point was to be with the jellyfish.

The message is OK but it makes civilians look pretty bad. There is a good feel to it when the jellyfish help him up, but the plot isn't the best, and though I'd say it's funny enough, it's not funny enough to go above and beyond mediocrity. The funniest part was when he got prank called by "Joe Mama", and he doesn't get it, that was pretty good, but parts of this drag and I find myself pretty bored out of my mind, and at the same time experiencing a mellow tone. His songs are nice, but compared to Underwater Sun and The Very First Christmas, it just doesn't compare- it also continues a dramatic tone.

As for the Patchy segments? I like them. He has a small conflict and I like how it ties into the episode, it makes it feel special. EXCEPT ONE THING- THAT WALK CYCLE. I don't get why people like this. It's just him walking on a street doing random posses for like a minute, it goes on way too long and there is just nothing to it. Patchy's reactions is pretty funny, but why couldn't that be accomplished in like 15-20 seconds not a minute. It's the only thing I legitimately skip in a SpongeBob episode. It's the Conway Twitty of SpongeBob for me.

So yeah I think that this episode is fine with a few flaws, which in my book amounts to MEDIOCRE: 5.1/10

Back