57b. The Camping Episode

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
My 10th favorite episode, and I don't get all these comments saying that the episode is overrated. If anything, I find it very UNDER-rated seeing as how the reception to this episode has definitely become a lot more critical in recent years. I think it is an amazingly hilarious episode with tons of great camping gags, the 2nd best song in the whole series (aside from "Sweet Victory"), and a hilarious mauling scene at the end (I agree with Slug, I really can't feel bad for Squidward here. He had been warned by SpongeBob and Patrick several times, but his ego got the better of him and he got what was coming to him. And I think the sea bear attacks themselves are hilarious, especially since they happen off screen and the bear just keeps coming out of nowhere. Plus I like how the sea bear points his finger at Squidward at the end). The very fact that they took a setting as simple as camping and turned it into a hilarious and effective ride is a brilliant accomplishment!

Short and to the point, though, this episode is incredible. I think it deserves all the praise it gets, and it definitely mauls (pun intended) its sister episode: Krabby Land.

10/10

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
This episode or Fear of a Krabby Patty is likely the first I've ever seen, and it couldn't have been a better first episode to watch. I love this one a lot. There are many great gags that come from this, as well as just great action between the personalities. I always pair this one with Idiot Box, because they aren't rip offs, but they set out to do almost the same thing, and they both accomplish it very well. A lot of very fun things happen, this episode has a sequence to its' hilarity. It has a bunch of very nice camping jokes, and it even features a really solid song. Squidward is awesome in this, and it's a joy to see. There isn't too much to say on this one, just a bunch of very well timed gags, and a lot of great story telling. Oh yeah, the sea bear, that is awesome. I love seeing the sea bear attack, because unlike other episodes I love, Squidward's actions cannot be defended, he went out of his way to do this to SpongeBob and Patrick, and it's the perfect example of Squidward torture done right, also he can't draw circles, nice continuity with Artist Unknown.

Overall I love this episode a lot, I think it is GREAT: 9.8/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Ah, one of the classics. This is just a great episode. A good, simple premise, which always makes for a great episode of SpongeBob. The core trio of SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward is shown very well in this episode, with Squidward joining in with SpongeBob and Patrick's antics in a way. Squidward plays off of SpongeBob and Patrick very well here as well, making for great interactions. The comedy here is top notch, with great timing. Just a great episode all around.

Combusto82

Does this look unsure to you?
it was awesome. 10/10

my favorite moments are-

Spongebob and Patrick warns Squidward about the sea bear

Squidward adjust his hat but sea bear comes and turn his hat in goofy way lol

and the mauled screen where Squidward tries to like crawling, etc

oh yeah don't forget about Sea Rhino

Sea_Rhinorceros.png

I like this episode. A lot. It's a great episode. This is a Squid torture episode done right. This episode is funny, it has a basic plot but the execution is brilliant. And who could forget the song?

Ranking so far:
1. Chocolate With Nuts (A+)
2. Snowball Effect (A+)
3. Wet Painters (A+)
4. Krusty Krab Training Video (A+)
5. Can You Spare A Dime? (A+)
6. The Camping Episode (A+)
7. Idiot Box (A+)
8. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (A)
9. Just One Bite (A)
10. No Weenies Allowed (A)
11. Nasty Patty (A)
12. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV (A)
13. I Had An Accident (A)
14. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (B)
15. The Bully (B)
16. Doing Time (B)
17. Ugh (B)
18. Squilliam Returns (B)
19. The Algae's Always Greener (B)
20. Born Again Krabs (B)
21. Krab Borg (B)
22. One Krab's Trash (B)
23. Clams (B)
24. My Pretty Seahorse (C)
25. Club SpongeBob (C)
26. SpongeGuard on Duty (C)
27. New Student Starfish (C)
28. As Seen On TV (D)
29. The Great Snail Race (D)
30. Party Pooper Pants (D)
31. Krabby Land (D)
32. Mid-Life Crustacean (E)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Classic episode. There's some really good writing and jokes, and the Campfire Song Song is legendary. The only thing I didn't really like about this episode is the whole Sea Bear routine, which did get a little repetitive after a while. Other than that, this is a really good episode with a really catchy showtune.

Great episode (9/10)

1. Chocolate With Nuts (10)
2. Krusty Krab Training Video (10)
3. Idiot Box (10)
4. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy V (10)
5. Wet Painters (9)
6. The Algae's Always Greener (9)
7. The Camping Episode (9)
8. Snowball Effect (9)
9. Can You Spare A Dime? (9)
10. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (9)
11. Just One Bite (9)
12. Krab Borg (9)
13. As Seen On Tv (8)
14. One Krabs Trash (8)
15. I Had An Accident (8)
16. Nasty Patty (8)
17. Mid-Life Crustacean (8)
18. New Student Starfish (8)
19. No Weenies Allowed (8)
20. My Pretty Seahorse (7)
21. Squilliam Returns (7)
22. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy IV (7)
23. The Great Snail Race (7)
24. Clams (7)
25. The Bully (7)
26. Doing Time (7)
27. Ugh (6)
28. Spongeguard on Duty (6)
29. Club Spongebob (6)
30. Born Again Krabs (5)
31. Party Pooper Pants (4)
32. Krabby Land (4)

Last edited:

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Classic episode. There's some really good writing and jokes, and the Campfire Song Song is legendary. The only thing I didn't really like about this episode is the whole Sea Bear routine, which did get a little repetitive after a while. Other than that, this is a really good episode with a really catchy showtune.

Great episode (9/10)

1. Chocolate With Nuts (10)
2. Krusty Krab Training Video (10)
3. Idiot Box (10)
4. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy V (10)
5. Wet Painters (9)
6. The Algae's Always Greener (9)
7. The Camping Episode (9)
8. Snowball Effect (9)
9. Can You Spare A Dime? (9)
10. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (9)
11. Just One Bite (9)
12. Krab Borg (9)
13. As Seen On Tv (8)
14. One Krabs Trash (8)
15. I Had An Accident (8)
16. Nasty Patty (8)
17. Mid-Life Crustacean (8)
18. New Student Starfish (8)
19. No Weenies Allowed (8)
20. My Pretty Seahorse (7)
21. Squilliam Returns (7)
22. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy IV (7)
23. Missing Identity (7)
24. The Great Snail Race (7)
25. Clams (7)
26. The Bully (7)
27. Doing Time (7)
28. Ugh (6)
29. Spongeguard on Duty (6)
30. Club Spongebob (6)
31. Born Again Krabs (5)
32. Party Pooper Pants (4)
33. Krabby Land (4)

whoops, didn't mean to do that. this was meant to go on the missing identity page. since i dont know how to delete posts ill just put this here

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
A nice cool-down after the evil-ness of the terrible Krabby Land. This was a funny episode and i noticed that its kinda underrated never known the hate and never will.

Rating: Amazing Episode

Rankings:
No Weenies Allowed (Golden)
Idiot Box (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (Perfect)
Krab Borg (Amazing!)
The Camping Episode (Amazing!)
Wet Painters (Amazing!)
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)
Just One Bite (Amazing!)
Squlliam Returns (Amazing!)
My Pretty Seahorse (Delightful)
Krusty Krab Training Video (Astonishing)
The Great Snail Race (Great)
Ugh (Great)
Doing Time (Great)
Snowball Effect (Great)
Mid-Life Crustacean (Great)
One Krabs Trash (Good)
Can you Spare a Dime? (Good)
SpongeGuard on Duty (Okay)
Rock-a-Bye Bivalve (Okay)
Born Again Krabs (Meh)
Club SpongeBob (Meh)
New Student Starfish (Meh)
MMABBIV (Meh)
Clams (Bad)
Nasty Patty (Bad)
The Bully (Bad)
As Seen on TV (Bad)
Party Pooper Pants (Sucky)
Krabby Land (Sucky)

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
A nice cool-down after the evil-ness of the terrible Krabby Land. This was a funny episode and i noticed that its kinda underrated never known the hate and never will.

Rating: Amazing Episode

Rankings:
No Weenies Allowed (Golden)
Idiot Box (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (Perfect)
Krab Borg (Amazing!)
The Camping Episode (Amazing!)
Wet Painters (Amazing!)
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)
Just One Bite (Amazing!)
Squlliam Returns (Amazing!)
My Pretty Seahorse (Delightful)
Krusty Krab Training Video (Astonishing)
The Great Snail Race (Great)
Ugh (Great)
Doing Time (Great)
Snowball Effect (Great)
Mid-Life Crustacean (Great)
One Krabs Trash (Good)
Can you Spare a Dime? (Good)
SpongeGuard on Duty (Okay)
Rock-a-Bye Bivalve (Okay)
Born Again Krabs (Meh)
Club SpongeBob (Meh)
New Student Starfish (Meh)
MMABBIV (Meh)
Clams (Bad)
Nasty Patty (Bad)
The Bully (Bad)
As Seen on TV (Bad)
Party Pooper Pants (Sucky)
Krabby Land (Sucky)
It’s literally one of the most popular episodes what are you talking about

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Ah, "The Camping Episode", probably one of the most well-known SpongeBob SquarePants episodes of all time. And please don't mistake me for a fan of this show when I say this, but is it just me or does this episode title almost sound like a Friends episode title. Yeah I know that those titles are completely different but I don't know, that's where my mind first went.

"The Camping Episode" is one of those episodes where the vibes are top-notch. For one thing, it takes place entirely at night, so like "Plankton!" it's a very atmospheric episode, with the backgrounds and the lighting. And then the fact that this episode is about camping gives it another kind of vibe, especially when there's a campfire.

The whole plot of SpongeBob and Patrick camping outside in SpongeBob's lawn is funny to me, it almost feels like the kind of thing you'd get up to as a kid (not that I ever camped outside my house when I was a kid but you know the vibes). And honestly, if I was living in a house with a nice enough yard to do this kind of thing in, I could see myself doing this on a warm summer night. Though I do hate bugs...anyway, this episode is like "Idiot Box" when it comes to the wholesome childish joy exuded by SpongeBob and Patrick, and I love to see it. Really, now that I think about it, this episode has quite a few similarities to "Idiot Box" and "Snowball Effect", with SpongeBob and Patrick unintentionally (or not) egging Squidward on, making him feel the need to prove himself to them for whatever reason, stooping himself down to what he thinks is their childish level. I suppose that's just a very common dynamic between these three characters, and it's one that works well, so no reason to get mad about similar episode structures.

The episode starts getting really funny once Squidward decides to join SpongeBob and Patrick in camping. Him trying to be a "real outdoorsman" is hilarious, and I love how seriously SpongeBob and Patrick take him, writing down notes and everything on his method. The tent part is really funny, probably my favorite part. SpongeBob and Patrick acting like astronauts is really cute as well. And then the whole part with Squidward and the marshmallows is such a classic joke as well. It's a great example of how you do the rule of three without being repetitive or dull.

And then of course, we have the ever-iconic Campfire Song Song. This song is not only just a good song on its own, but it's a great addition to the episode because of how it incorporates humor into it, with the Patrick and Squidward bits. Makes it fit right into the episode and not feel like tone whiplash. Also, I like how with the whole Sea Bear thing, SpongeBob just roasts Squidward casually lol.

Speaking of the Sea Bear thing, these last few minutes are probably the highlight of this episode. The magazine cover, SpongeBob's recounting of a story he heard from this guy x infinity, and Squidward deciding he's going to try and lure a Sea Bear are all gold moments. And then, even better, we have the moment the Sea Bear finally shows up. You'd think seeing Squidward get beat up multiple times (or really just hearing it) would get old fast, but it doesn't, it's hilarious with every single iteration. I like how the Sea Bear has legitimate beef with Squidward by the end of this episode, threatening him when Squidward finally gets into the circle. And then of course we have the ending stinger with the Sea Rhinoceros. RIP Squidward.

"The Campfire Episode" is a good episode, but there really isn't all that much to talk about with it. It's a clever and witty episode too, though not all of its jokes hit hard for me. That's why I'm probably going to shock many by saying that this episode isn't actually in my "Amazing" tier, but one below it, in "Great." I also don't consider it to be one of the best of the season either. I'm not sure if I'd call this episode overrated though. I don't think it's necessarily regarded as a GOAT in the same way "Band Geeks" is, but it is a very popular episode.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.5/10

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
Ah, "The Camping Episode", probably one of the most well-known SpongeBob SquarePants episodes of all time. And please don't mistake me for a fan of this show when I say this, but is it just me or does this episode title almost sound like a Friends episode title. Yeah I know that those titles are completely different but I don't know, that's where my mind first went.

"The Camping Episode" is one of those episodes where the vibes are top-notch. For one thing, it takes place entirely at night, so like "Plankton!" it's a very atmospheric episode, with the backgrounds and the lighting. And then the fact that this episode is about camping gives it another kind of vibe, especially when there's a campfire.

The whole plot of SpongeBob and Patrick camping outside in SpongeBob's lawn is funny to me, it almost feels like the kind of thing you'd get up to as a kid (not that I ever camped outside my house when I was a kid but you know the vibes). And honestly, if I was living in a house with a nice enough yard to do this kind of thing in, I could see myself doing this on a warm summer night. Though I do hate bugs...anyway, this episode is like "Idiot Box" when it comes to the wholesome childish joy exuded by SpongeBob and Patrick, and I love to see it. Really, now that I think about it, this episode has quite a few similarities to "Idiot Box" and "Snowball Effect", with SpongeBob and Patrick unintentionally (or not) egging Squidward on, making him feel the need to prove himself to them for whatever reason, stooping himself down to what he thinks is their childish level. I suppose that's just a very common dynamic between these three characters, and it's one that works well, so no reason to get mad about similar episode structures.

The episode starts getting really funny once Squidward decides to join SpongeBob and Patrick in camping. Him trying to be a "real outdoorsman" is hilarious, and I love how seriously SpongeBob and Patrick take him, writing down notes and everything on his method. The tent part is really funny, probably my favorite part. SpongeBob and Patrick acting like astronauts is really cute as well. And then the whole part with Squidward and the marshmallows is such a classic joke as well. It's a great example of how you do the rule of three without being repetitive or dull.

And then of course, we have the ever-iconic Campfire Song Song. This song is not only just a good song on its own, but it's a great addition to the episode because of how it incorporates humor into it, with the Patrick and Squidward bits. Makes it fit right into the episode and not feel like tone whiplash. Also, I like how with the whole Sea Bear thing, SpongeBob just roasts Squidward casually lol.

Speaking of the Sea Bear thing, these last few minutes are probably the highlight of this episode. The magazine cover, SpongeBob's recounting of a story he heard from this guy x infinity, and Squidward deciding he's going to try and lure a Sea Bear are all gold moments. And then, even better, we have the moment the Sea Bear finally shows up. You'd think seeing Squidward get beat up multiple times (or really just hearing it) would get old fast, but it doesn't, it's hilarious with every single iteration. I like how the Sea Bear has legitimate beef with Squidward by the end of this episode, threatening him when Squidward finally gets into the circle. And then of course we have the ending stinger with the Sea Rhinoceros. RIP Squidward.

"The Campfire Episode" is a good episode, but there really isn't all that much to talk about with it. It's a clever and witty episode too, though not all of its jokes hit hard for me. That's why I'm probably going to shock many by saying that this episode isn't actually in my "Amazing" tier, but one below it, in "Great." I also don't consider it to be one of the best of the season either. I'm not sure if I'd call this episode overrated though. I don't think it's necessarily regarded as a GOAT in the same way "Band Geeks" is, but it is a very popular episode.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.5/10
isn't regarded as a GOAT? think again https://www.thetoptens.com/spongebob/greatest-spongebob-episodes/

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
Dang, you're right. I guess I should've made it more clear that I think this episode is regardly quite highly, but whereas Band Geeks is called the show's definitive best episode, this episode is more one of the best.
Yeah that’s true Band Geeks is literally the Magnum Opus of the show no other episode is as popular as it

Back