56a. Born Again Krabs

I never understood the hate for this one. It's not great, but it's not bad either. I think this episode actually has some funny jokes, and the plot is really strange yet cool at the same time.

Ranking so far:
1. Chocolate With Nuts (A+)
2. Snowball Effect (A+)
3. Wet Painters (A+)
4. Krusty Krab Training Video (A+)
5. Can You Spare A Dime? (A+)
6. Idiot Box (A+)
7. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (A)
8. Just One Bite (A)
9. No Weenies Allowed (A)
10. Nasty Patty (A)
11. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV (A)
12. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (B)
13. The Bully (B)
14. Doing Time (B)
15. Ugh (B)
16. Squilliam Returns (B)
17. The Algae's Always Greener (B)
18. Born Again Krabs (B)
19. Krab Borg (B)
20. One Krab's Trash (B)
21. Clams (B)
22. My Pretty Seahorse (C)
23. Club SpongeBob (C)
24. SpongeGuard on Duty (C)
25. New Student Starfish (C)
26. As Seen On TV (D)
27. The Great Snail Race (D)
28. Party Pooper Pants (D)
29. Mid-Life Crustacean (E)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I don't really like this one all too much. It's pretty bland, and there aren't many good jokes either. The plot is incredibly straight-forward and predictable, like, of course Mr. Krabs is gonna choose the money over Spongebob. It's pretty much written into his character and the fact that it's such a small amount of money makes it even more obvious because of course that would be funnier. This sort of feels like a season 4 episode in where it's just kinda... there. Not a bad episode by any means, but I don't see myself coming back to this one any time soon.

Meh episode (5/10)

1. Chocolate With Nuts (10)
2. Krusty Krab Training Video (10)
3. Idiot Box (10)
4. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy V (10)
5. Wet Painters (9)
6. The Algae's Always Greener (9)
7. Snowball Effect (9)
8. Can You Spare A Dime? (9)
9. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (9)
10. Just One Bite (9)
11. Krab Borg (9)
12. As Seen On Tv (8)
13. One Krabs Trash (8)
14. Nasty Patty (8)
15. Mid-Life Crustacean (8)
16. New Student Starfish (8)
17. No Weenies Allowed (8)
18. My Pretty Seahorse (7)
19. Squilliam Returns (7)
20. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy IV (7)
21. The Great Snail Race (7)
22. Clams (7)
23. The Bully (7)
24. Doing Time (7)
25. Ugh (6)
26. Spongeguard on Duty (6)
27. Club Spongebob (6)
28. Born Again Krabs (5)
29. Party Pooper Pants (4)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I dont think this is a very good episode just meh. Nothing about it was funny and Mr. Krabs sold SpongeBob here. Luckily Squidward was the only likable character here.

Rating: Meh Episode

Rankings:
No Weenies Allowed (Golden)
Idiot Box (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (Perfect)
Krab Borg (Amazing!)
Wet Painters (Amazing!)
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)
Just One Bite (Amazing!)
Squlliam Returns (Amazing!)
My Pretty Seahorse (Delightful)
Krusty Krab Training Video (Astonishing)
The Great Snail Race (Great)
Ugh (Great)
Doing Time (Great)
Snowball Effect (Great)
Mid-Life Crustacean (Great)
One Krabs Trash (Good)
Can you Spare a Dime? (Good)
SpongeGuard on Duty (Okay)
Rock-a-Bye Bivalve (Okay)
Born Again Krabs (Meh)
Club SpongeBob (Meh)
New Student Starfish (Meh)
MMABBIV (Meh)
Clams (Bad)
Nasty Patty (Bad)
The Bully (Bad)
As Seen on TV (Bad)
Party Pooper Pants (Sucky)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I honestly really don't like this episode. The actual plot of it is not interesting, and predictable considering that Mr. Krabs would never keep promises of him being generous, they wrote his character to be cheap. Also comedy-wise, the only thing I enjoyed was the whole ambulance joke, i don't wanna explain it because then we'd be here forever but it's a fantastic joke. Otherwise, the jokes in the episode relate to Mr. Krabs' greediness, and to an extent, Spongebob's constant chatterbox. It's also very predictable and lame. But the thing I hate the most is the characters. Squidward himself was pretty good (I liked how he stood up against Mr. Krabs) , but I hated Mr. Krabs' portrayal. He feels like a tightwad, desperate for cash, and even though it SEEMS like he's turning over a new leaf, he goes right back to being cheap, in a really lame sequence. Even Spongebob, the one I'd feel the most empathetic towards in these kinds of plots, wasn't that enjoyable. He covers up for Mr. Krabs although he hasn't done anything morally right, and it especially shows when Mr. Krabs sells him for 62 cents, and I also think the jokes that revolve around him chatting on and on to the Flying Dutchman are very dumb.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Anyone else notice how "Born Again Krabs" and "Mid-Life Crustacean" are like...perfect sister episodes? Both Mr. Krabs themed, both about him trying to make a change in his life after being confronted with his own mortality...and yet they're both very different. Out of the two of them, I think I like this episode just a little bit more, so let's discuss.

This episode begins with such a gorgeous shot of the Krusty Krab at closing time (man, what is that now, 4 or 5 episodes where the opening shot is a beautiful sunset at the Krusty Krab? Let's keep it going, seriously). I like the sharp contrast between SpongeBob and Squidward's attitude about closing time. Whenever I'm at work, I find myself seeing things Squidward's way. I love how unashamedly cheap Mr. Krabs is in this first part, with the whole pinch-o-matic thing and the fact that he will literally eat an old Krabby Patty. Also, another small thing, but I really like the "The Next Day" time card in this episode, having SpongeBob, Squidward, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs there is so cute! I wonder why they decided to design it like that, especially since Patrick isn't even in this episode. The fake out gag with the ambulance is pretty good, especially when it's followed by Mr. Krabs literally dying from the tainted Krabby Patty.

I love the entire sequence at the hospital. The doctor running away after seeing Mr. Krabs' chart is hilarious, and I love that the Flying Dutchman is in this episode. Makes enough sense that he'd basically be the grim reaper or devil or Charon or however you want to think of him. The "Harold Flower" bit is so hilarious, especially the interaction between the Flying Dutchman and the nurse. Davy Jones' locker being Hell is brilliant as well. And I'll never think about this episode without thinking of "SpongeBob Vs. The Big One", which I know we're a while out from but if I manage to keep up my reviews until there, I'm really going to enjoy reviewing that special.

I love how this episode casually just kinda says that yeah, Mr. Krabs was about to bite it, but it's all okay now! I love seeing the new and improved Mr. Krabs. It's kind of funny, because by this point Mr. Krabs hadn't even been that bad of a boss yet, compared to what we might see in the future, so the fact that he was already going to Davy Jones' Locker...oh boy. Watching this part of the episode is fun because you know it can't last, and so you're sitting there wondering what will be the breaking point, what will it be that makes Mr. Krabs give up on this whole charade? I love how the tension and anticipation build as Mr. Krabs starts acting more and more nonchalant about things he probably shouldn't be acting that way about...such as having to pay $10,000 on his credit card, or having absolutely no profits. I like that Squidward and SpongeBob start getting real concerned about Mr. Krabs, and I love Squidward's line about "how are we gonna get paid". He really is the eternal workers' spirit at times.

And then we get to the part of the episode we've been waiting for, Mr. Krabs' breaking point. Turns out, the guy thought he was dreaming the whole time, and when Squidward and SpongeBob break it to him that that isn't the case...oh man are the results hilarious. First off, I love Mr. Krabs' initial reaction with his shell breaking as he screams, and then his whole cheap freakout is great, ending with him almost clawing a man's hand off over a penny.

Even better than Mr. Krabs' freakout is the aftermath. I love how Squidward tells it like it is even when Mr. Krabs is being threatened with Hell, and I love that SpongeBob stands up for Mr. Krabs. It's a wholesome moment, which is completely undermined (in a good way), by Mr. Krabs' miserly ways, literally selling SpongeBob's soul for 62 cents. And then I love that Squidward is the one to stand up for SpongeBob, calling out Mr. Krabs' for his bs. It's a nice thematic call-back to "Pizza Delivery", and a good way of showing that Squidward does care about SpongeBob, in his own way, even if he tries to hide the fact (as we've seen in "Graveyard Shift"). In other words, we love character consistency!

The last bit of the episode is also great, with SpongeBob managing to get out of Hell for eternity just by being his friendly self. We even get a little bit of TrollBob when he's like "I would've done the same thing" and Mr. Krabs is like "Really?" and SpongeBob deadpans "No." Also, I've never mentioned this before, but I like episode endings where everyone is laughing. I don't know, maybe it feels wholesome, or ends the episode on a good note. Maybe that's why I like how the ending of "Spongicus" averts this. Well anyway, the episode doesn't even end there, because of course we have a continuation of the gag with SpongeBob talking The Flying Dutchman to undeath, which I think is a great way to end this episode.

"Born Again Krabs" is a really fun episode. It doesn't exactly have knockout jokes, but it does have multiple iconic moments between Harold Flower and 62 cents. It's also a very good complement to "Mid-Life Crustacean", which is why I always make it a point to watch these two episodes together. This episode fits nicely in my "Great" tier.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.5/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Anyone else notice how "Born Again Krabs" and "Mid-Life Crustacean" are like...perfect sister episodes? Both Mr. Krabs themed, both about him trying to make a change in his life after being confronted with his own mortality...and yet they're both very different. Out of the two of them, I think I like this episode just a little bit more, so let's discuss.

This episode begins with such a gorgeous shot of the Krusty Krab at closing time (man, what is that now, 4 or 5 episodes where the opening shot is a beautiful sunset at the Krusty Krab? Let's keep it going, seriously). I like the sharp contrast between SpongeBob and Squidward's attitude about closing time. Whenever I'm at work, I find myself seeing things Squidward's way. I love how unashamedly cheap Mr. Krabs is in this first part, with the whole pinch-o-matic thing and the fact that he will literally eat an old Krabby Patty. Also, another small thing, but I really like the "The Next Day" time card in this episode, having SpongeBob, Squidward, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs there is so cute! I wonder why they decided to design it like that, especially since Patrick isn't even in this episode. The fake out gag with the ambulance is pretty good, especially when it's followed by Mr. Krabs literally dying from the tainted Krabby Patty.

I love the entire sequence at the hospital. The doctor running away after seeing Mr. Krabs' chart is hilarious, and I love that the Flying Dutchman is in this episode. Makes enough sense that he'd basically be the grim reaper or devil or Charon or however you want to think of him. The "Harold Flower" bit is so hilarious, especially the interaction between the Flying Dutchman and the nurse. Davy Jones' locker being Hell is brilliant as well. And I'll never think about this episode without thinking of "SpongeBob Vs. The Big One", which I know we're a while out from but if I manage to keep up my reviews until there, I'm really going to enjoy reviewing that special.

I love how this episode casually just kinda says that yeah, Mr. Krabs was about to bite it, but it's all okay now! I love seeing the new and improved Mr. Krabs. It's kind of funny, because by this point Mr. Krabs hadn't even been that bad of a boss yet, compared to what we might see in the future, so the fact that he was already going to Davy Jones' Locker...oh boy. Watching this part of the episode is fun because you know it can't last, and so you're sitting there wondering what will be the breaking point, what will it be that makes Mr. Krabs give up on this whole charade? I love how the tension and anticipation build as Mr. Krabs starts acting more and more nonchalant about things he probably shouldn't be acting that way about...such as having to pay $10,000 on his credit card, or having absolutely no profits. I like that Squidward and SpongeBob start getting real concerned about Mr. Krabs, and I love Squidward's line about "how are we gonna get paid". He really is the eternal workers' spirit at times.

And then we get to the part of the episode we've been waiting for, Mr. Krabs' breaking point. Turns out, the guy thought he was dreaming the whole time, and when Squidward and SpongeBob break it to him that that isn't the case...oh man are the results hilarious. First off, I love Mr. Krabs' initial reaction with his shell breaking as he screams, and then his whole cheap freakout is great, ending with him almost clawing a man's hand off over a penny.

Even better than Mr. Krabs' freakout is the aftermath. I love how Squidward tells it like it is even when Mr. Krabs is being threatened with Hell, and I love that SpongeBob stands up for Mr. Krabs. It's a wholesome moment, which is completely undermined (in a good way), by Mr. Krabs' miserly ways, literally selling SpongeBob's soul for 62 cents. And then I love that Squidward is the one to stand up for SpongeBob, calling out Mr. Krabs' for his bs. It's a nice thematic call-back to "Pizza Delivery", and a good way of showing that Squidward does care about SpongeBob, in his own way, even if he tries to hide the fact (as we've seen in "Graveyard Shift"). In other words, we love character consistency!

The last bit of the episode is also great, with SpongeBob managing to get out of Hell for eternity just by being his friendly self. We even get a little bit of TrollBob when he's like "I would've done the same thing" and Mr. Krabs is like "Really?" and SpongeBob deadpans "No." Also, I've never mentioned this before, but I like episode endings where everyone is laughing. I don't know, maybe it feels wholesome, or ends the episode on a good note. Maybe that's why I like how the ending of "Spongicus" averts this. Well anyway, the episode doesn't even end there, because of course we have a continuation of the gag with SpongeBob talking The Flying Dutchman to undeath, which I think is a great way to end this episode.

"Born Again Krabs" is a really fun episode. It doesn't exactly have knockout jokes, but it does have multiple iconic moments between Harold Flower and 62 cents. It's also a very good complement to "Mid-Life Crustacean", which is why I always make it a point to watch these two episodes together. This episode fits nicely in my "Great" tier.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.5/10
i love when SpongeBob says ''it growled at me'' he sounds so adorable lol

Back