55a. The Great Snail Race

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
SB_DW_Fan said:
At least SpongeBob realized his mistake near the end of the episode and the ending when Sandy kicked SpongeBob was amazing. Better than A Pal for Gary anyday which had a horrible ending.

I respect your opinion though.
Yeah, that's true. But I find it really difficult to even accept his apology because of how out-of-character he was in the first place. In any other episode he'd be insanely protective towards Gary. He almost friggin KILLED Gary. I think it's because Great Snail Race came out when I was a kid, and it horrified me, and I've grown up with small pets like cats, etc. Seeing Gary literally have his eyes explode, and burst into flames.... it just really sickened me.

I can accept that Spongebob is a massive idiot who unintentionally causes bodily harm to people (Hall Monitor and Sandy's Rocket, anyone?) but I cannot accept him as a cruel person.

Cha

I love SBM
The Gary "abuse" has always bothered me even to this day. But unlike A Pal For Gary SpongeBob actually learns the wrongs of his ways. It just took a little push for him to realize it. (Kind of like Born Again Krabs when Krabs gives up sb's soul 62 cents.) Other than this, I find this episode freaking amazing comedy wise. Like I'd consider it one of the most hilarious episodes with Band Geeks, Chocolate with Nuts and etc.

Mantis

killer queen best stand
I REALLY love the title card for some reason. And this is a guilty pleasure for me. When I was younger, I used think that Gary blowing up was pretty cool. Now I know better, but hey, people love to see crashes.

I wouldn't consider this as a guilty pleasure because SpongeBob realized that he was very harsh for Gary and I liked seeing SpongeBob getting his butt kicked at the end. Also there is still a lot humor in this episode. Even though It has Gary abuse, I still consider this as a perfect episode. Not one of season 3's finest though.

Mantis

killer queen best stand
When my dad saw Gary exploding at first he was like "What the hell" but soon he started laughing with me.

delete my account

PRESIDENT
Spongetron Robotpants said:
When my dad saw Gary exploding at first he was like "What the hell" but soon he started laughing with me.
inb4 gordok loses his sanity

Anyways, I've never understood why this episode is hated. The humor is excellent, the crash is cartoonish and not realistic, and SpongeBob realizes that he made a mistake (I'm looking at you, A Pal For Gary). If anything, SpongeBob is punishedat the end... sorta.

I like this episode. 7.5/10

delete my account

PRESIDENT
It's all become clear to me now,

My post above basically gives this episode a positive review. However, I read this... interesting piece of the script (thanks, deviantART!) that may have just ruined all positive qualities of this episode. It's fascinating how five lines can change the way I see this episode.

"Oh Gary, why didn't you TELL me I was pushing you too hard?"
"Meow."
"You did? Oh Gary, why didn't you TELL me I wasn't listening?"
"Meow!"
"You did?"

end

An incoherent, unfunny and absolutely contrived script. OOCs and character abuse don't generally mix well, and this episode is no exception. What was Kent Osborne thinking while writing this dreck?!

Perry The Platypus

....What?
I haven't looked at the other posts, so maybe someone has said this but, i never got the hate for this episode. Yes, Spongebob tortures Gary, but there's more of a reason for it, he ends up realizing what he has done, and Gary has a happy ending!

Compare this to A Pal for Gary, where he never realizes what he did, and Gary is punished for no reason. Besides, it's really funny. Rocky ftw.

iedasb

Crazy Artist
This episode isnt that funny because of Gary abuse... looks like the writers of SpongeBob love abusing its characters '-'

Anyway, there were some good jokes in it, like Patrick's rock winning.

Spider-man

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I really liked this episode. My favorite gag, though, was when rocky won the race :)

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
I like how an instrumental version of Now That We're Men was played in the title card. Even though this was before the movie.

You_Learn_Something_New_Every_Day_Title_Card.jpg

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 3

Episode: The Great Snail Race

This episode was very good. The plot was fine. Spongebob was kinda jerkish here, but the ending made it well. There were some funny jokes. 8.5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I actually really like this episode. Not only is the humor amazing, but it tells an emotional story pretty well, way better than Grooming Gary, A Pal for Gary, The Cent of Money, and Pet Sitter Pat, which are all obnoxious, harsh, or dull.

8.5/10

What I really need to get out is that Sandy's appearance was really unnecessary, the joke was not that good. Besides that, I think Snellie has a pretty design and she's not snobby. Yet, these are one of the few times I liked the episode, but despise SpongeBob's behavior, his ego is all welled up and Gary was getting so much pressure. The ending with Rocky winning had me laugh, but I personally would rather skip this episode next time I see it. 6/10

Back