53a. New Student Starfish

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Not a fan of this one as much as others. I don't dislike it, but I don't really like it ether, it's just OK for me. I don't find a lot of the school gags to be that funny, I don't know why, The Bully already kind of played that out. This episode is also kind of stuck between being a relatable school episode, and trying to be a wacky comedic one, and I don't think it does really ether good enough. It's not really relatable in the sense that the light bulb situation wouldn't really apply nor the constant beraiding of SpongeBob, and it's not really wacky because it does have elements like the good noodle star. So I end up getting stuck between both. Mrs. Puff is pretty oblivious (like in The Bully) and I don't think it really checks out for me. Definitely a light mediocre, cause Patrick does apologize and some gags work, but overall, not the best experience.

I think that this episode is MEDIOCRE: 5.8/10

Meh. I'm not a huge fan of this one. Patrick acts like a jerk to SpongeBob when he was just trying to be nice. And Mrs. Puff is also really inconsistent here as well. Yeah, the ending was sweet, but other than that, this one's not that memorable.

Ranking so far:
1. Chocolate With Nuts (A+)
2. Snowball Effect (A+)
3. Wet Painters (A+)
4. Krusty Krab Training Video (A+)
5. Can You Spare A Dime? (A+)
6. Idiot Box (A+)
7. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (A)
8. Just One Bite (A)
9. No Weenies Allowed (A)
10. Nasty Patty (A)
11. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV (A)
12. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (B)
13. The Bully (B)
14. Doing Time (B)
15. Squilliam Returns (B)
16. The Algae's Always Greener (B)
17. Krab Borg (B)
18. One Krab's Trash (B)
19. My Pretty Seahorse (C)
20. Club SpongeBob (C)
21. SpongeGuard on Duty (C)
22. New Student Starfish (C)
23. As Seen On TV (D)
24. Party Pooper Pants (D)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I would've rated this one higher if it wasn't for Patrick's jerkiness. Other than that, this is a pretty enjoyable episode. There's some pretty good jokes, and the plot is good. I liked the ending too. Again, Patrick's jerkiness does bring this one down a bit, but that's not too much of an issue. Spongebob getting in trouble for someone else's actions is also quite relatable I must say.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Chocolate With Nuts (10)
2. Krusty Krab Training Video (10)
3. Idiot Box (10)
4. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy V (10)
5. Wet Painters (9)
6. The Algae's Always Greener (9)
7. Snowball Effect (9)
8. Can You Spare A Dime? (9)
9. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (9)
10. Just One Bite (9)
11. Krab Borg (9)
12. As Seen On Tv (8)
13. One Krabs Trash (8)
14. Nasty Patty (8)
15. New Student Starfish (8)
16. No Weenies Allowed (8)
17. My Pretty Seahorse (7)
18. Squilliam Returns (7)
19. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy IV (7)
20. The Bully (7)
21. Doing Time (7)
22. Spongeguard on Duty (6)
23. Club Spongebob (6)
24. Party Pooper Pants (4)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
Plot: (6/10): This episode definitely could've been executed a lot better if it wasn't for how Patrick acted. He was mean towards SpongeBob, and literally got him in trouble for something he did. On the other hand though, I did like where they were trying to save Roger from dying. It really has a good ending, but could've been better.

Humor: (3.5/10): This episode's humor isn't as funny as you would think. Some jokes are good, but some like the Big Fat Meanie gag was really bad. The fighting gag is pretty funny, but it's just funny, not absolutely hilarious or anything, just funny.

Visuals: (9.5/10): Not much to say here, just looks and sounds like a pre-movie episode.

Episode score: 190 points.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one wasnt that funny... Sure it has jokes like 25 (the only good joke) i just didnt really find them funny. At least the ending was actually pretty decent...

Rating: Meh Episode

Rankings:
No Weenies Allowed (Golden)
Idiot Box (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (Perfect)
Krab Borg (Amazing!)
Wet Painters (Amazing!)
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)
Just One Bite (Amazing!)
Squlliam Returns (Amazing!)
My Pretty Seahorse (Delightful)
Krusty Krab Training Video (Astonishing)
Doing Time (Great)
Snowball Effect (Great)
One Krabs Trash (Good)
Can you Spare a Dime? (Good)
SpongeGuard on Duty (Okay)
Rock-a-Bye Bivalve (Okay)
Club SpongeBob (Meh)
New Student Starfish (Meh)
MMABBIV (Meh)
Nasty Patty (Bad)
The Bully (Bad)
As Seen on TV (Bad)
Party Pooper Pants (Sucky)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is a pretty solid episode. Patrick's behavior did border a little on being irritating, but I believe it is made up by Spongebob and Ms. Puff's reactions to it. By far my favorite part of it was the ending climax of Spongebob and Patrick retrieving Roger and his lightbulb, there were a lot of good jokes in it as well as a strong conflict.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "New Student Starfish" which is...an alright episode? Spoiler alert, but this is not an episode I find myself rewatching very often. So that probably tells you where this review may be going. Now, I don't dislike this episode, let's not go that far, but it's definitely far from the upper echelons of SpongeBob SquarePants episodes.

This episode starts off pretty well. I mean first off, we have my fave Gary helping SpongeBob get ready for the day, which was a fun little sequence. I really like how this first part of "New Student Starfish" shows SpongeBob and Patrick's best friend dynamic. And also shows the fact that out of the two of them, SpongeBob is the one with an actual life lol. The "wait for you to come back" line is very memorable for me, and well-delivered. And I love the enthusiasm from both SpongeBob and Patrick to have them be in school together. The picture that Patrick has in mind of the two of them is adorable and hilarious. I like how excited SpongeBob is to show Patrick all around the school, and this also has the added benefit of showing us in the audience more of Mrs. Puff's Boating School. This episode is really for the people like me who love to see that adult-child balance in SpongeBob SquarePants. I also like that SpongeBob's overachieving nature extends to boating school as well, even though he can't drive worth salt. The "good noodle" terminology is just very cute.

It's fun to see SpongeBob and Patrick act like two kids in elementary school, laughing and joking with each other while the teacher is talking. And this is of course the source of the famous "24/25" joke that we see plastered on birthday cakes and social media posts everywhere. Patrick's introduction to the class lasts just long enough to avoid being grating, which I appreciate. However, it is during SpongeBob and Patrick's clownery that the episode begins to go downhill for me. See, this is another one of those episodes where other characters are made very oblivious at the expense of the plot, Mrs. Puff again being the victim of this just like she was in "The Bully". So you can see why I might be very annoyed when Mrs. Puff confiscates the drawing that Patrick gave SpongeBob and then blames SpongeBob for it. It does lead to a funny joke though when Mrs. Puff looks exactly like the drawing. Unfortunately that one joke can't save the rest of this exchange. Mrs. Puff removing a good noodle star just goes on for wayyyyy too long, and for once I can't even enjoy SpongeBob's dramatics because I know he doesn't even deserve this. So it's just annoying.

It's made only worse when SpongeBob is forced to sit in the back of the class, and Patrick shows about 0 remorse or awareness of the situation. Though I will say, SpongeBob's horror at being at the back of the classroom is pretty funny, and a good play on the "teacher's pet gets detention" trope. Speaking of tropes, I think that's where my main issue with this episode might be. The school setting in SpongeBob SquarePants is great when used correctly. And I don't think this episode uses it correctly. The whole point is for it to be yet another balancing act of adult-child dynamics within SpongeBob's (and others') character, but this episode leans almost entirely into the child aspect so it kind of dilutes some of the magic.

Anyway, back to the recap, I am once again annoyed that SpongeBob receives the bulk of the punishment for Patrick's actions when he finally becomes truly irate at Patrick. I really don't know where the idea that frustration = comedy came from but I'm going to need it to be retired very quickly. Things pick up again though when SpongeBob and Patrick start "fighting" and I like the bit with Mrs. Puff and the flashlight. And even though I don't like that this episode makes SpongeBob a child the whole time, I do find myself pretty entertained by SpongeBob and Patrick's very juvenile exchanges of "I hate you".

Things do get much better once SpongeBob and Patrick have to work together to save Roger, the "pet egg". It's good seeing them make up and work together. I also like that the episode lampshades the fact that the ending of this episode is just weird by having Mrs. Puff acknowledge that she doesn't know what saving an egg has to do with Boating School. The ending is only weirder when Patrick proclaims that he thought this was Spanish class. What that has to do with anything, I don't know. But the very ending is fun, with Roger hatching and being like "what did I miss?" Just a very...odd episode ending up there with "Graveyard Shift". But not as charming.

"New Student Starfish" is an alright episode. The beginning and ending are pretty good, but it has some really not-so-great moments in the middle of it that lead me to pushing the episode down a couple tiers, landing it in "Good".

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.2/10

Squidwardspal

Part Computer or Something
Next up, we've got "New Student Starfish" which is...an alright episode? Spoiler alert, but this is not an episode I find myself rewatching very often. So that probably tells you where this review may be going. Now, I don't dislike this episode, let's not go that far, but it's definitely far from the upper echelons of SpongeBob SquarePants episodes.

This episode starts off pretty well. I mean first off, we have my fave Gary helping SpongeBob get ready for the day, which was a fun little sequence. I really like how this first part of "New Student Starfish" shows SpongeBob and Patrick's best friend dynamic. And also shows the fact that out of the two of them, SpongeBob is the one with an actual life lol. The "wait for you to come back" line is very memorable for me, and well-delivered. And I love the enthusiasm from both SpongeBob and Patrick to have them be in school together. The picture that Patrick has in mind of the two of them is adorable and hilarious. I like how excited SpongeBob is to show Patrick all around the school, and this also has the added benefit of showing us in the audience more of Mrs. Puff's Boating School. This episode is really for the people like me who love to see that adult-child balance in SpongeBob SquarePants. I also like that SpongeBob's overachieving nature extends to boating school as well, even though he can't drive worth salt. The "good noodle" terminology is just very cute.

It's fun to see SpongeBob and Patrick act like two kids in elementary school, laughing and joking with each other while the teacher is talking. And this is of course the source of the famous "24/25" joke that we see plastered on birthday cakes and social media posts everywhere. Patrick's introduction to the class lasts just long enough to avoid being grating, which I appreciate. However, it is during SpongeBob and Patrick's clownery that the episode begins to go downhill for me. See, this is another one of those episodes where other characters are made very oblivious at the expense of the plot, Mrs. Puff again being the victim of this just like she was in "The Bully". So you can see why I might be very annoyed when Mrs. Puff confiscates the drawing that Patrick gave SpongeBob and then blames SpongeBob for it. It does lead to a funny joke though when Mrs. Puff looks exactly like the drawing. Unfortunately that one joke can't save the rest of this exchange. Mrs. Puff removing a good noodle star just goes on for wayyyyy too long, and for once I can't even enjoy SpongeBob's dramatics because I know he doesn't even deserve this. So it's just annoying.

It's made only worse when SpongeBob is forced to sit in the back of the class, and Patrick shows about 0 remorse or awareness of the situation. Though I will say, SpongeBob's horror at being at the back of the classroom is pretty funny, and a good play on the "teacher's pet gets detention" trope. Speaking of tropes, I think that's where my main issue with this episode might be. The school setting in SpongeBob SquarePants is great when used correctly. And I don't think this episode uses it correctly. The whole point is for it to be yet another balancing act of adult-child dynamics within SpongeBob's (and others') character, but this episode leans almost entirely into the child aspect so it kind of dilutes some of the magic.

Anyway, back to the recap, I am once again annoyed that SpongeBob receives the bulk of the punishment for Patrick's actions when he finally becomes truly irate at Patrick. I really don't know where the idea that frustration = comedy came from but I'm going to need it to be retired very quickly. Things pick up again though when SpongeBob and Patrick start "fighting" and I like the bit with Mrs. Puff and the flashlight. And even though I don't like that this episode makes SpongeBob a child the whole time, I do find myself pretty entertained by SpongeBob and Patrick's very juvenile exchanges of "I hate you".

Things do get much better once SpongeBob and Patrick have to work together to save Roger, the "pet egg". It's good seeing them make up and work together. I also like that the episode lampshades the fact that the ending of this episode is just weird by having Mrs. Puff acknowledge that she doesn't know what saving an egg has to do with Boating School. The ending is only weirder when Patrick proclaims that he thought this was Spanish class. What that has to do with anything, I don't know. But the very ending is fun, with Roger hatching and being like "what did I miss?" Just a very...odd episode ending up there with "Graveyard Shift". But not as charming.

"New Student Starfish" is an alright episode. The beginning and ending are pretty good, but it has some really not-so-great moments in the middle of it that lead me to pushing the episode down a couple tiers, landing it in "Good".

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score: 7.2/10
Another good review but I disagree with what you said about patrick being rude. Although it was annoying, it fits into Patrick's character because sometimes he is so dumb he is a jerk. Idk, I found it funny, personally.

Back