51. Party Pooper Pants

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
I like this episode, but it's not great imo. Party Pooper Pants is definitely an odd, but interesting episode of the show. This episode doesn't really feel like Pre-Movie or "classic" Spongebob to me, even though it's in s3. Oddly, it almost feels more like a post movie episode to me. Not necessarily a good or bad thing. Maybe part of that is because i never watched this until a few years ago, but it has a different feeling to me than other pre movie eps. I think this was the only pre movie ep I never saw as a kid, because Nick hardly ever reran it. There wasn't as much of that clever, "pre-movie" writing as usual in this special. Still, I thought it was decent overall, but one of the weakest pre movie eps.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I gotta say i actually didnt really like this episode. Its boring and just like fellow season 5 episode WhoBob WhatPants it just feels like it was rushed to be made. The only good part here was that overrated bunny hop joke...

Rating: Sucky Episode

Rankings:
No Weenies Allowed (Golden)
Idiot Box (Perfect)
Krab Borg (Amazing!)
Wet Painters (Amazing!)
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)
Just One Bite (Amazing!)
Squlliam Returns (Amazing!)
My Pretty Seahorse (Delightful)
Krusty Krab Training Video (Astonishing)
Doing Time (Great)
Snowball Effect (Great)
One Krabs Trash (Good)
Can you Spare a Dime? (Good)
SpongeGuard on Duty (Okay)
Rock-a-Bye Bivalve (Okay)
Club SpongeBob (Meh)
MMABBIV (Meh)
Nasty Patty (Bad)
The Bully (Bad)
As Seen on TV (Bad)
Party Pooper Pants (Sucky)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Confession: I haven't watched this episode in a very long time. Definitely on the order of years. I would've rewatched it for the sake of this review, but unfortunately life had other plans so I'm writing this with the help of the little memory I have of this episode and the SpongeBob Wiki.

Ah..."Party Pooper Pants". So, we're all on the same page about how I hate being frustrated when watching SpongeBob SquarePants, right? Yeah? Good. So I think you can assume what my feelings are about this episode then. And if not, then perhaps my confession above should seal the deal. Yeah, this episode is not in my big leagues. It's right smack in the middle of mediocre-ville. Let's discuss.

"Party Pooper Pants" begins decently well. It's definitely odd that this episode (with it being simply about a house party) is a special, given it could've easily been an 11-minute episode, but that doesn't really become a complaint until later. In this first segment though (not Act 1, just the first few minutes), it works fine with me. I enjoy both the Patchy and SpongeBob segments in these first few minutes. The joke with Patchy's letter is hilarious. See, physics does apply in SpongeBob SquarePants! Kind of. I like SpongeBob's enthusiasm about inviting the whole town, I think it's cute. And he seems to be the loveable weirdo in town anyway, so watching I expect this to turn out fine, right? Well...

This first section of the episode also leads to a bit of foreboding, as the whole "record" exchange leaves...a lot to be desired in terms of entertainment and humor quality. It's repetitive and boring, and unnecessary. And this, again, is probably why this episode should've just been the normal 11 minutes, because when things get repetitive in the very beginning of the episode, then that doesn't bode well for the rest of the episode at all. Though I will say that the bit right after the repetitiveness, with the photo of Lou before and currently, was pretty funny. And Lou's other done-ness with SpongeBob is great. There really are a bunch of funny little jokes in this episode all over the place, like the bit with SpongeBob's kindergarten classmate (that definitely got a good laugh out of me).

But the foreboding comes back once we see SpongeBob ultra-organizing this party to hell and back. Because we already know what's about to happen. I know SpongeBob is sticking to this organizing because he think this is what makes a party a success, but that doesn't change the fact that SpongeBob is a little bit insufferable (in-universe at least, I don't find myself all that annoyed with him) for part of this episode. And that leads us to the next part of the episode, which is the party. And God, is it boring at first. I know the whole bit with Patrick (and the thing with the conversation cards) is supposed to be dull and awkward, but that doesn't stop it being from, guess what, dull and awkward. Like my finger is hovering over the fast-forward button. All this extra time the special has, and this is what it does with it? A shame. I do like the cable and wire cutters gag though, that was pretty funny. Love when the troll side of SpongeBob comes out. But of course, another side of SpongeBob comes out this episode too...

Maybe it's just me, but SpongeBob feels...out of character in this episode. Like since when has he been this high-strung? A few episodes ago, he dealt with Squidward's crap for months before flipping out. Why is it that people failing to follow a schedule in this episode sets him off??? But whatever, this is just a minor issue compared to what is to come, which is the hell that is the rest of the episode after SpongeBob goes to get the newspaper.

First off, I cannot believe the audacity of these people to lock SpongeBob out of his own house. So my anger already starts pretty high once we find out (or deduce) that little tidbit. Like if they hated the party, just leave for goodness' sake. And then we get some of the most frustrating stuff so far with SpongeBob trying to get inside his house, to the point where he is almost arrested for breaking and entering, even though that's clearly his freaking house omg, and then he literally gets arrested because the police were upset they weren't invited...literally not even funny...

The episode ends on a lighter note at least, where it turns out everyone enjoyed the party, but it really just feels like "Gone" with the way that everyone had fun once SpongeBob was gone, and let's just say that rubs me the wrong way. It's just...unpleasant. And while at least in this episode SpongeBob brought this on himself, that doesn't mean this was a satisfying watch at all because it absolutely wasn't. Probably because of the naivete SpongeBob shows here about how to throw a party, which makes him sympathetic, at least to me, so watching him struggle the entire episode was not fun at all.

I really don't have much to say about the Patchy segments, so I'll just say I enjoyed them well enough and leave it at that. Hey, at least this episode had Underwater Sun, which is one of my favorite SpongeBob songs! So that's a plus.

"Party Pooper Pants" is a very frustrating episode that had a decent beginning, with some pretty funny jokes throughout. There's a reason I haven't watched this episode in years. I am sad that I always miss out on the really good jokes, but the exasperation I feel just trumps everything, causing me to avoid allowing this episode on my screen. That's why this episode is in my "Mediocre" tier. It has huge problems, ones that really ruin the whole experience for me, which is why it's below "Okay". But it also has some really good moments that help to at least somewhat tip the scales up, which is why it's higher than "Bad".

Episode Tier: Mediocre
Episode Score: 5.3/10

Yummylesecond

DOWNTOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY
The full song of the humpback hop was found so that's neat. I think Spongebob was really picky about the party but this was a pretty funny episode. 7/10

SneakyMcSneakyPants

Floating Shopping List
Rewatching this episode. Wow. It is a disaster! Easily the worst of pre-movie. SpongeBob is horribly out of character. The episode feels like it’s trying way too hard to be funny. Even worse, though, is that the episode often feels like it’s trying to be The Office or The Looney Tunes Show more than it feels like an actual SpongeBob episode. I honestly can’t believe this episode happened under Hillenburg and Drymon’s watch. Patchy segments are fine, but not as memorable as the ones in the Lost Episode. Good things: the Down Down Down song (don’t remember the actual name) and some of the jokes like Patrick reading his name upside down. But overall, this is a massive drop from the rest of pre-movie. 6.5/10.

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
one of the worst pre movie episodes but its just meh I don't really have a lot to say
Highlight: Underwater sun and humpback hop

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
This episode is overhated, I actually really like it.

I've watched this episode many times, I didn't actually knew it existed for a while tbh, but when I watched it, I enjoyed it.

I like a few of the considered "bad" episodes, and this would have to be one of them. I don't have a whole lot to say about this one considering it's been maybe 2 years since I've watched it and the short-term memory loss slowly works its course, but I can update this review when I watch it again (planned tonight).

I enjoyed The Birdbrains song, Underwater Sun, and overall, thought it was an enjoyable special, even if it's chaotic.
This episode doesn't really feel like Pre-Movie or "classic" Spongebob to me, even though it's in s3.
And I actually agree with this. It doesn't feel like a Season 3 episode. It feels more like Season 4-5 ish.

6.5/10-7/10 episode!

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
This episode is overhated, I actually really like it.

I've watched this episode many times, I didn't actually knew it existed for a while tbh, but when I watched it, I enjoyed it.

I like a few of the considered "bad" episodes, and this would have to be one of them. I don't have a whole lot to say about this one considering it's been maybe 2 years since I've watched it and the short-term memory loss slowly works its course, but I can update this review when I watch it again (planned tonight).

I enjoyed The Birdbrains song, Underwater Sun, and overall, thought it was an enjoyable special, even if it's chaotic.

And I actually agree with this. It doesn't feel like a Season 3 episode. It feels more like Season 4-5 ish.

6.5/10-7/10 episode!
forgot to mention humpback hop

Back