49b. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve

SpongyDevotee

Giant Clam
This is my FAVORITE episode of the entire series! ^_^

I think that the episode is a VERY FUNNY episode and is just completely awesome and cute and ect throughout the whole episode.

I love: the beginning with SpongeBob playing with the rubber band/entertainment section, that whole "What did you say?" and "Oh but it is you that is messing with me" scene, the "It's a baby scallop! I'll take care of this!" scene, that whole feeding scene, the line "It's the best seat in the house" with Gary's drumroll, the "Look at the funny face!" scene (which by the way looks way better on a standard "box" TV than a flat sceen HD TV, because you can't see the side of SpongeBob's head), the "If I was a mom, this would be kinda shocking" scene, the whole montage which is really cute and just plain awesome and nice, the hilarious "math" equation, SpongeBob and Patrick's chat about parenting being fun, Patrick's huge breakfast, the MASSIVE amount of chores SpongeBob had to do to raise Junior, Patrick's coconut TV show, the succession of timecards such as "Tommorow For Sure" and "Uhhh...", SpongeBob arguing with Patrick, SpongeBob showing Patrick the INSANELY LARGE amount of diapers he had to change and where he had to put them and when he says "Hmmm!!!", Patrick seeming like he's going to be a better dad, the whole 6' o clock scene with that hilarious repetition, followed by the 12:00 Midnight time card, SpongeBob getting angry at Patrick and tapping his foot, the fact that Patrick forgot about giving SpongeBob a day off, the way SpongeBob mocks Patrick by saying "You can take the night off, pal", when we find out that Patrick's work is just him watching TV all day, Patrick's excuses for his "hard work", SpongeBob saying "Oh you poor poor thing", what was inside Patrick's briefcase, SpongeBob angrily dropping Patrick's "briefcase contents", Patrick's quote: "Oh so this is the thanks I get for working overtime", then SpongeBob yelling "OVERTIME!!!!" with his hilarious creepy looking face and teeth, then some more funny arguing, SpongeBob and Patrick trying to save Junior, then finding out that Junior can now fly, the pretty poignant ending, and that funny line at the end with SpongeBob being shocked considering Patrick did almost nothing to raise Junior and now he wants to raise another baby! That right there was me summing up why I love this episode.

It is really funny, and SpongeBob was pretty intelligent and likable in this episode, and I love the fact that he can successfully raise a child all by himself despite all he went through. And every since I saw this episode, I loved it, and I still do really love it.

TalkWirtyTome

Imitation Krab
I'm watching this episode right now for the first time in years.
I forgot how great it was xD Thoroughly enjoying it.

"This is the thanks I get for working overtime?"

"OVERTIME?!"

This episode is probably the reason I started shipping as hard as I do...
One of my favourite episodes.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 3

Episode: Rock-A-Bye Bivalve

This episode was great. The plot was really creative and fun. There were many funny jokes. 9/10

iedasb

Crazy Artist
Great episode, fun, really fun. I always laugh watching this episode.

The only problem about this episode it's because it started PatBob XD
Nothing against this couple today(I used to hate it, today I don't care anymore).

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
Very underrated. It's a different episode with jokes that work. This episode gets better when you're older and understand the concept of a mother and a father. Even if I'm still a teenager. 8.5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Every place Squidward's School for Grown Ups was abysmal at was great here. One of my favorites (P.S. the controversy is hilariously stupid)

10/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Really, really BORING episode..The plot was weird and there were some funny quotes and moments but everything else was meh and boring...the ending was really bad, didn't quite enjoy that lack of dark humour and my favourite scene was when Patrick saw that coconut scene, his laugh was amazing, 5.5/10

Cute episode. I don't think it's fantastic, but it's very heartwarming, and the jokes here excel quite a lot.

Ranking so far:
1. Snowball Effect (A+)
2. Can You Spare A Dime? (A+)
3. Idiot Box (A+)
4. Just One Bite (A)
5. No Weenies Allowed (A)
6. Nasty Patty (A)
7. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV (A)
8. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (B)
9. The Bully (B)
10. Doing Time (B)
11. Squilliam Returns (B)
12. The Algae's Always Greener (B)
13. Krab Borg (B)
14. One Krab's Trash (B)
15. My Pretty Seahorse (C)
16. Club SpongeBob (C)
17. SpongeGuard on Duty (C)
18. As Seen On TV (D)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
A very cute episode. The first half is just okay, but the second half is just amazing. The way Spongebob and Patrick interact with each other is just hilarious to me here. I also really love the ending.

Great episode (9/10)

1. Idiot Box (10)
2. The Algae's Always Greener (9)
3. Snowball Effect (9)
4. Can You Spare A Dime? (9)
5. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (9)
6. Just One Bite (9)
7. Krab Borg (9)
8. As Seen On Tv (8)
9. One Krabs Trash (8)
10. Nasty Patty (8)
11. No Weenies Allowed (8)
12. My Pretty Seahorse (7)
13. Squilliam Returns (7)
14. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy IV (7)
15. The Bully (7)
16. Doing Time (7)
17. Spongeguard on Duty (6)
18. Club Spongebob (6)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Honestly cant say i was big of a fan of this one sure its heartwarming. But it was executed in like the most boring way possible! So i think this was a boring episode but at least "OVERTIME?!" was a pretty good quote.

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
No Weenies Allowed (Golden)
Idiot Box (Perfect)
Krab Borg (Amazing!)
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)
Just One Bite (Amazing!)
Squlliam Returns (Amazing!)
My Pretty Seahorse (Delightful)
Doing Time (Great)
Snowball Effect (Great)
One Krabs Trash (Good)
Can you Spare a Dime? (Good)
SpongeGuard on Duty (Okay)
Rock-a-Bye Bivalve (Okay)
Club SpongeBob (Meh)
MMABBIV (Meh)
Nasty Patty (Bad)
The Bully (Bad)
As Seen on TV (Bad)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we have an episode that is lowkey a bit bizarre in many ways, "Rock-A-Bye Bivalve". Not in a bad way, but like SpongeBob and Patrick raising a scallop is definitely not what I expected out of this show haha. It leads to a pretty funny episode, so perhaps bizarre is better sometimes.

I really like the beginning of this episode, probably because it features Gary. But I mean it was also adorable to see SpongeBob running around having fun with a newspaper rubber band. This childish behavior also a great contrast to what we'll be seeing later in the episode, where SpongeBob takes on the role of an exhausted parent. But we'll get to that in a minute. I like how adorably awkward SpongeBob and Patrick's initial interaction in this episode is, like Patrick even clears his throat and everything lol. The plot gets moving pretty quickly though, since this is where they find the baby scallop. And also this scene is just funny with SpongeBob and Patrick getting increasingly annoyed with the thought of the other lying to them about speaking. It's also a great bit of morbid humor that Patrick's initial reaction to the baby scallop is to try and kill it.

I think the funniest part of this episode is that SpongeBob and Patrick act like parents to a baby rather than an animal, because it leads to all kinds of funny moments and it makes the whole episode beautifully absurd. On the topic of morbid humor, we have that bit with the worm, which was hilarious. Unbelievable that Junior hates Krabby Patties though, hasn't he seen "Just One Bite"? Shaking my head.

SpongeBob and Patrick's childish natures are blended very well with the parental roles they put on this episode. Well, for SpongeBob it's more of a sharp contrast like I mentioned earlier (but one that makes sense given his hard working tendencies), but for Patrick it's a full blend. I mean, he knew that Junior needed a diaper because he himself has been wearing diapers on his own for a year. Again, so bizarre and absurd, but also so funny.

The whole reasoning for Patrick not being able to be the "mom" (as heteronormative and gender binary enforcing as it is, if we want to discuss that) is pretty funny, especially when he ends up saying "just call me daddy!" The ensuing montage of SpongeBob, Patrick, and Junior going about the town is hilarious, and we've got a pretty blatant adult joke in there, but it's so well-done that I'm sure kids can understand. Thinking about it, I wonder if this episode has ever been used as shipping fuel by PatBob fans. For the record I don't care for that ship at all, actually I don't ship in this show because I don't care about that, but like that's one of the ones where I don't even see the appeal. But I mean considering SpongeBob and Patrick are literally coparenting here...I bet that conversation has happened at least once, right?

Moving on, I like how SpongeBob and Patrick get more entrenched into their stereotypical roles, with Patrick leaving for "work" and never being at home while SpongeBob has to take care of Junior and literally everything else. It's a great parody of stereotypical gender roles, and even elements of sitcoms, in my opinion. This section of the episode isn't particularly funny, but it is engaging and entertaining. Just like in "Can You Spare a Dime?", the French Narrator really makes the comedy in this kind of montage section, and it's great.

This episode is also an example of SpongeBob getting completely fed up, which y'all know I love. Man, this episode has a lot of similarities with "Can You Spare a Dime?", doesn't it? But anyway, I love seeing SpongeBob getting increasingly passive aggressive before just raging and storming over to Patrick's "work", which is just him watching TV. The delivery on "OVERTIME?!" is actually amazing, as is the face that accompanies it. SpongeBob and Patrick's argument is funny to watch for some reason, even though it's a little hard to hear exactly what they're saying. But I love that they get their stuff together when Junior is about to fall out the window, even though they think they fail to save him for a second. Seeing Junior fly makes me almost as proud as SpongeBob and Patrick, because by the end of this episode I feel a little attached to him. This section of the episode also has a gorgeous background with the sunrise. The shadows were also a nice visual touch in that shot too. And then of course we have the somewhat famous ending line, "let's have another", which combined with Patrick's...gesture, makes for a pretty adult joke haha.

I quite enjoy "Rock-A-Bye Bivalve". The premise itself is absurd and bizarre and really makes the episode stand out, and the episode itself is pretty funny. There are long stretches of the episode where there aren't any outstanding jokes, but I think altogether the episode is pretty entertaining. I don't really have any problems with the plot, other than Patrick is kind of a jerk in this episode but that's all part of the parody, so I can forgive that. Overall, this episode makes a good edition to my "Great" tier. It just doesn't quite reach the top tier, for reasons I find myself being unable to explain. It's just the vibes, I guess.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.8/10

Back