44b. Idiot Box

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
Plot: (9.9/10): I really like this episode's plot. It's got a really funny premise, it really shows that imagination is great (especially for SpongeBob, wouldn't want no creativity), and I really like how Squidward was trying to discover how SpongeBob and Patrick were making realistic sounds. It's pretty great. The only (which is honestly pretty small, and a tiny bit funny anyways) is how SpongeBob paid for a whole ::dolphin noise:: tv, just for Squidward to take it, and only for SpongeBob and Patrick to get the box. But it's pretty laughable anyways and I just shook it off last time I watched the episode.

Humor: (5/5): This episode is funny, and you probably knew that already. This episode really has a running gag with Squidward not having imagination, and SpongeBob only telling him that it's because of imagination. It really always ages like the finest wine and I don't have a problem with it.

Visuals: (10/10): This episode is WAY prettier than most pre-movie episodes, and that's really saying something. I really like how the tv looks, and whenever they showed the "Imagination" rainbow. It's all really pretty, and is really good.

Episode score: 224 points.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I didnt mind the ending. But this is a really nice episode theres not much to explain i just really like this one.

Rating: Perfect Episode

Rankings:
Idiot Box (Perfect)
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)
Just One Bite (Amazing!)
My Pretty Seahorse (Delightful)
SpongeGuard on Duty (Okay)
Club SpongeBob (Meh)
Nasty Patty (Bad)
The Bully (Bad)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I would be lying if i said that this wasn't a top tier Spongebob episode. Squidward starts off the episode thinking that Spongebob and Patrick have nothing better to do with their lives than play with boxes, and as the episode progresses, he starts taking enjoyment out of what he initially found to be stupid, which is not only a really charming character arc that fits him, but it also shows that imagination can fuel your entire day. Not to mention that the episode is packed with really great jokes, such as Patrick looking through his "glasses".

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got yet another classic and iconic episode of SpongeBob SquarePants, "Idiot Box"! This episode frequently makes it onto those best episode lists, and I can see why. It isn't on my own, but I can still understand why people love this episode so much, so let's get to discussing it, shall we?

This episode comes out the gate swinging, with Squidward acting like the audience as he watches SpongeBob and Patrick do a little waiting dance in confusion. We, like Squidward, get more questions than answers when the pair pick up a huge TV, just to throw it in the garbage (in a hilarious visual). Of course, SpongeBob and Patrick have no use for television, they just want the box. This episode is a great example of SpongeBob and Patrick being adorable, and it's a great pair to "Nasty Patty". While that episode showcases SpongeBob's adult side, this episode is all about his childish side, though this episode is all about telling everyone, even adults, to embrace their inner child.
Of course, one cannot talk about "Idiot Box" without mentioning "Imagination" :imagination: , AKA SpongeBob's support of gay rights I mean, a meme of a bygone era and just a funny moment. And like I said before, this really is the crux of the entire episode. It's honestly a very wholesome and important message, telling people to embrace imagination. Especially in today's era, where more and more people just look for things to distract them and occupy their time. I'm no different, and I'm sure none of us are. I have a phone addiction the same as the rest of you lol.

This episode is honestly a true testament to the writing, sound design, and voice acting in this show, given how many parts of the episode are dedicated to a single shot of a box, and it's still hilarious. It's honestly impressive how many jokes this episode manages to get in, and they all hit, and none at the expense of the plot. I love that this episode challenges viewers to use their own imaginations as SpongeBob and Patrick play in the box. It's clever, honestly, and makes the episode super engaging and enjoyable, as we get plenty of humor while we imagine what SpongeBob and Patrick's scenarios look like. Squidward's increasing desperation and curiosity is also great. I love the section of the episode with Squidward trying to escape boxes by going on TV, and utterly failing. I'm sure there's a metaphor in there about somewhere about the inferiority of media to imagination. Actually, I know I'm looking to into that lol. I have my critical hat on.

To skip ahead a bit, because otherwise we'd be here all day, I love the ending of this episode too. It's gratifying to watch Squidward finally start to use his own imagination, even though he gets thrown in the dumps. And then the ending stinger really just closes everything nicely with a bow on top.

"Idiot Box" is a hilarious, engaging episode that as you can tell, I have 0 problems with. In any other season (other than season 2), it would probably be in my top 5. However, season 3 really just has so many excellent episodes, including my top 2 (probably 3) of the entire show, so it's up against some stiff competition.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.3/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up, we've got yet another classic and iconic episode of SpongeBob SquarePants, "Idiot Box"! This episode frequently makes it onto those best episode lists, and I can see why. It isn't on my own, but I can still understand why people love this episode so much, so let's get to discussing it, shall we?

This episode comes out the gate swinging, with Squidward acting like the audience as he watches SpongeBob and Patrick do a little waiting dance in confusion. We, like Squidward, get more questions than answers when the pair pick up a huge TV, just to throw it in the garbage (in a hilarious visual). Of course, SpongeBob and Patrick have no use for television, they just want the box. This episode is a great example of SpongeBob and Patrick being adorable, and it's a great pair to "Nasty Patty". While that episode showcases SpongeBob's adult side, this episode is all about his childish side, though this episode is all about telling everyone, even adults, to embrace their inner child.
Of course, one cannot talk about "Idiot Box" without mentioning "Imagination" :imagination: , AKA SpongeBob's support of gay rights I mean, a meme of a bygone era and just a funny moment. And like I said before, this really is the crux of the entire episode. It's honestly a very wholesome and important message, telling people to embrace imagination. Especially in today's era, where more and more people just look for things to distract them and occupy their time. I'm no different, and I'm sure none of us are. I have a phone addiction the same as the rest of you lol.

This episode is honestly a true testament to the writing, sound design, and voice acting in this show, given how many parts of the episode are dedicated to a single shot of a box, and it's still hilarious. It's honestly impressive how many jokes this episode manages to get in, and they all hit, and none at the expense of the plot. I love that this episode challenges viewers to use their own imaginations as SpongeBob and Patrick play in the box. It's clever, honestly, and makes the episode super engaging and enjoyable, as we get plenty of humor while we imagine what SpongeBob and Patrick's scenarios look like. Squidward's increasing desperation and curiosity is also great. I love the section of the episode with Squidward trying to escape boxes by going on TV, and utterly failing. I'm sure there's a metaphor in there about somewhere about the inferiority of media to imagination. Actually, I know I'm looking to into that lol. I have my critical hat on.

To skip ahead a bit, because otherwise we'd be here all day, I love the ending of this episode too. It's gratifying to watch Squidward finally start to use his own imagination, even though he gets thrown in the dumps. And then the ending stinger really just closes everything nicely with a bow on top.

"Idiot Box" is a hilarious, engaging episode that as you can tell, I have 0 problems with. In any other season (other than season 2), it would probably be in my top 5. However, season 3 really just has so many excellent episodes, including my top 2 (probably 3) of the entire show, so it's up against some stiff competition.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.3/10
the paper walked so idiot box can run

spobbobfiles11

Cable TV Is The One For Me!
"iMaGiNaTiOn":imagination:. this episode is my personal favorite and arguably the most iconic. this episode manages to be the perfect balance between funny and memorable. my favorite joke in this episode would defo have to be the boxing scene. 11/10

Back