41b. SpongeGuard On Duty

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
I've seen this episode so many times it's worn off from me. And there's not the most gags here. But still, it's a fun episode that is a classic. 8/10

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
The title card for this episode is amazing!

My favorite joke from this episode is the live-action SpongeBob when he dreams of being a lifeguard.

Katniss

totally coral
Just rewatched this episode because it always happened to slip my mind. It's decent. Patrick had some funny bits, especially with his "blow blow blow and rub rub rub" line. On the whole though, this episode wasn't exactly hilarious. I give it a 6/10.

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
It's an okay episode. I like the humor, which you'd have to clearly listen to (Particularly Patrick's lifeguard rant), and SpongeBob trying to motivate himself. Oh, I also like the "Ready Freddie" (no, not FNAG but maybe a Queen reference) and "Ice cream!" lines. All in all, a 8.8/10.

It's alright. It's got some decent jokes, but this episode could have been better honestly. I was never really too fond of this episode.

Ranking so far:
1. The Algae's Always Greener (B)
2. SpongeGuard on Duty (C)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
One of the weaker season 3 episodes if I'm being honest. There are some good jokes here, but the plot did feel a little slow at times. (especially the ending) It still is a semi-enjoyable episode, but it really isn't that good.

Decent episode (6/10)

1. The Algae's Always Greener (9)
2. Spongeguard on Duty (6)

Last edited:

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
(OLD REVIEW, NEW REVIEW BELOW)
Plot: (6/10): The plot was fine enough. I really liked the scene where SpongeBob basically turned into a lifeguard, and Larry noticing it. The middle of the episode could use some work, since SpongeBob was mean just because he was too lazy to at least use something to help him swim and actually save people, instead of literally closing Goo Lagoon. The ending though did at least make up for some of it, where Larry teaches Patrick and SpongeBob how to swim.

Humor: (5/5): I'm not going to lie, even if the plot was a tiny bit mediocre, the humor was spot on. There's ton of adult jokes I like, such as the "Whoops, forgot I was lying on my back" joke. The "white stuff" on their noses manages to reveal my somewhat dirty minded self. I also find the part

Visuals: (9.5/10): I don't really have anything to say. It looks like a regular pre-movie episode, not much to say.

Episode score: 180 points.

Last edited:

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
6.5/10

While I don't dislike it as much now, I still find most of the jokes in the later half kind of the episode. I don't know if I'm a perv or this is an actual dirty joke, but the white stuff on their noses seem odd. Though, the part where SpongeBob was trying to save Patrick was kind of neat.

The Algaes Always Greener: (10/10)
SpongeGuard On Duty: (6.5/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I am gonna be 100% honest here i found the only funny part was the flying ice cream truck scene. I mean sure its got a couple of decent jokes but its ragingly boring. And plus the concept really bland.

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)
SpongeGuard on Duty (Okay)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we have a pretty nostalgic episode for me. But spoilers, I don't adore this one as much as I do other very nostalgic episodes. I at least know why this episode is nostalgic for me though. One of the two first SpongeBob DVDs I owned was SpongeGuard on Duty, so before I started my collection of every episode of the show, this episode was one of the very limited options I had. Not to mention the entire DVD was themed on this episode. But, alas, "SpongeGuard on Duty" is not that great of an episode for me. Let's talk about it.

The plot of this episode is just...off. I don't know how else to describe it. SpongeBob wanting to be a lifeguard to be cool does not really feel like something he'd do. And so that just makes it a bit of a chore to watch the whole episode because it's like...this feels forced. The way Patrick exits the episode in the beginning also feels forced. Everything in this episode feels rather forced. But let's ignore that right now, and talk about some of the other content in the episode. I'll get back to this later though.

I do like the beginning well enough, seeing SpongeBob and Patrick hang out at the beach with some fun visual jokes. The ice cream truck bit is hilarious (not to mention a great provider of a reaction meme). The whole sunscreen thing is dumb to me, which means that joke never ends up landing for me, but I can ignore it well enough.

Okay, so back to the whole forced thing. I think the entirety of the plot after Larry exits is extremely forced. Like...why is SpongeBob in charge of the beach? If SpongeBob wasn't actually a lifeguard (which he wasn't), shouldn't there have been someone to watch the beach after Larry's shift ended? I'm not usually one to get caught up in plot holes, but this episode is dull enough that I start to pay attention to these things, which makes the whole enterprise fall apart more in my eyes. This makes the rest of the episode more difficult to watch as these questions keep bouncing around in my brain, and it's hardly funny enough to distract me. The excuses SpongeBob makes to get the beachgoers out of the water make no sense to me either, because if they all live in the ocean why are we singling out sharks and sea monsters? Is SpongeBob prejudiced????? I'm slightly joking but I am somewhat serious, this all feels weak.

The drowning scene is the most entertaining thing in this segment of the episode, because of how Patrick keeps disproviing everything SpongeBob says, but once SpongeBob gets into the water all the momentum the scene had been building dies out, and I get bored again. The part where SpongeBob absorbs the lagoon does get a chuckle out of me, but then it's back to dullness until Larry returns with a pretty funny line delivery from both Mr. Lawrence and Tom Kenny.

The ending of this episode doesn't even have that great of a stinger either, so it really is a rather disappointing venture. I won't call this episode bad, because I don't think it was. I won't even put it in my "Mediocre" tier, because I think it's better than that, and it didn't make me mad or annoyed or anything. But it's far from great, and I don't think I can call it good anymore, like I had before. It's perfectly "Okay". It's just a dull episode that tried to be funny and entertaining, but simply fell short.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score: 6.5/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up, we have a pretty nostalgic episode for me. But spoilers, I don't adore this one as much as I do other very nostalgic episodes. I at least know why this episode is nostalgic for me though. One of the two first SpongeBob DVDs I owned was SpongeGuard on Duty, so before I started my collection of every episode of the show, this episode was one of the very limited options I had. Not to mention the entire DVD was themed on this episode. But, alas, "SpongeGuard on Duty" is not that great of an episode for me. Let's talk about it.

The plot of this episode is just...off. I don't know how else to describe it. SpongeBob wanting to be a lifeguard to be cool does not really feel like something he'd do. And so that just makes it a bit of a chore to watch the whole episode because it's like...this feels forced. The way Patrick exits the episode in the beginning also feels forced. Everything in this episode feels rather forced. But let's ignore that right now, and talk about some of the other content in the episode. I'll get back to this later though.

I do like the beginning well enough, seeing SpongeBob and Patrick hang out at the beach with some fun visual jokes. The ice cream truck bit is hilarious (not to mention a great provider of a reaction meme). The whole sunscreen thing is dumb to me, which means that joke never ends up landing for me, but I can ignore it well enough.

Okay, so back to the whole forced thing. I think the entirety of the plot after Larry exits is extremely forced. Like...why is SpongeBob in charge of the beach? If SpongeBob wasn't actually a lifeguard (which he wasn't), shouldn't there have been someone to watch the beach after Larry's shift ended? I'm not usually one to get caught up in plot holes, but this episode is dull enough that I start to pay attention to these things, which makes the whole enterprise fall apart more in my eyes. This makes the rest of the episode more difficult to watch as these questions keep bouncing around in my brain, and it's hardly funny enough to distract me. The excuses SpongeBob makes to get the beachgoers out of the water make no sense to me either, because if they all live in the ocean why are we singling out sharks and sea monsters? Is SpongeBob prejudiced????? I'm slightly joking but I am somewhat serious, this all feels weak.

The drowning scene is the most entertaining thing in this segment of the episode, because of how Patrick keeps disproviing everything SpongeBob says, but once SpongeBob gets into the water all the momentum the scene had been building dies out, and I get bored again. The part where SpongeBob absorbs the lagoon does get a chuckle out of me, but then it's back to dullness until Larry returns with a pretty funny line delivery from both Mr. Lawrence and Tom Kenny.

The ending of this episode doesn't even have that great of a stinger either, so it really is a rather disappointing venture. I won't call this episode bad, because I don't think it was. I won't even put it in my "Mediocre" tier, because I think it's better than that, and it didn't make me mad or annoyed or anything. But it's far from great, and I don't think I can call it good anymore, like I had before. It's perfectly "Okay". It's just a dull episode that tried to be funny and entertaining, but simply fell short.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score: 6.5/10
I've never seen this episode, i'll probably watch it later

i keep confusing this episode's title with hall monitor

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I've never seen this episode, i'll probably watch it later

i keep confusing this episode's title with hall monitor
This episode is admittedly rather forgettable, so I'm not surprised you haven't seen it yet. And now that you mention it I can see why one might get those two episode titles mixed up, they're somewhat similar, at least in terms of meaning.

Back