41a. The Algae's Always Greener

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
This is not an episode I'd make a review on, so I guess I'll put my full thoughts on it here. I think it's a good episode, just a little, annoying at times. Like with Pearl, she was insufferable. But I think it's interesting to see the switched lives of Plankton and Krabs. Also, most of the jokes hit their mark, so nothing to complain about. 7/10 for me.

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
I liked Plankton's idea in this episode and it made the plot of the episode really interesting. Technically speaking, every character in this episode including SpongeBob are just different versions of themselves. Well, not really, but I mean in an alternate universe, because of Plankton. I liked the holographic meatloaf joke and the joke worked better than the holographic parts in Company Picnic. It's weird that I'm comparing these parts of both episodes. I don't know why I'm doing this. Anyways, I liked how SpongeBob was being crazy in this episode and Squiward confronting Plankton and telling him that he can't work with SpongeBob and instead Squidward becomes the fry cook and SpongeBob the cashier. Also, Pearl seems okay in this episode. It was eh kinda understandable to see how she and Plankton "were" relatives, but strange at the same time? Whatever. Aside from that, it is generally a great episode and a gem from Season 3.

JCM

#cancelspongebob
This and The Algae's Always Greener were the only Plankton-centric episodes in Season 3, and both focused more on developing Plankton's character and less on having him go out and try to steal the formula once again. He does hatch a plot in this episode and attempt to carry it out, as the commercials promised, but a good majority of it was dedicated to Plankton reflecting on his many failures and getting to know his extended family. Speaking of that, the hillbilly jokes got many a guffaw out of this proud Southerner. They're completely inaccurate, of course, except for the stuff about root beer. I loves me some root beer.

What was I talking about? Oh, right. The episode. It was funny and well-written, and that's really all I have to say about it. Onwards!

This is a good episode, and not a bad way to open up Season 3. It's a very interesting episode. It's not really something we've ever seen before. I think this episode is good, but there are some better ones that come after it.

Ranking so far:
1. The Algae's Always Greener (B)

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
My 4th favorite episode ever! It is the funniest episode of the show for me besides Chocolate With Nuts. I found myself laughing throughout the whole episode, from Plankton saying "She's as big as a whale!" to Mr. Krabs's "And the next day..." bit. It is just RIDDLED with so many hilarious jokes and lines that i find myself constantly coming back to it! In addition, I love the plot so much! Seeing Plankton switch lives with Mr. Krabs is so cool, especially because of how wacky and bizarre the non-canon SpongeBob and Squidward act. It is an incredible episode that is so hilarious, has an amazing plot, and develops Plankton as a character fantastically.

It is one of the 8 episodes that I'll give an 11/10 to!

GuyAtWalmart

Banished
This is the funniest episode of ever. Period. It has some of the best quotes of the entire season and never fails to entertain. If you don't laugh at least once during the episode, you need to see a therapist.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdN0NXgjsn8[/media]

1. Help Wanted(10/10)
2. The Algae's Always Greener (10/10)
3. Your Shoes Untied (8/10)
4. Patrick's Coupon (7.9/10)

Rex

Floating Shopping List
This here is the best season opener ever to hit Spongebob. Everything IMO works in this episode, the comedy, the characters, the plot, the animation even the background music is supreme in this episode. Even the title card is amazing,,. Honestly Hawaiian Islands is up there with Island Romance and Lonely On The Beach as my favorite track the show produced. Plankton is funny as always every even Pearl has her moment to shine and make me laugh overall one of the shining stars of not just season 3 the whole show

10/10

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
A really awesome concept that gets utilized to it's fullest potential. There are so many great jokes in this episode, and all of them hit for me. Definitely one of Plankton's finest appearances and a great way to start off this season.

Great episode (9/10)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
(OLD REVIEW, NEW REVIEW BELOW)
Plot: 10/10: This is a very creative episode. Having Plankton go into a life switcher and have Mr. Krabs's life it just really awesome. There are no downsides to the plot.

Humor: 5/5: Really funny episode. Jokes like "Good Grief, he's naked", "Goodbye everyone, I will remember you all in therapy", "SOILED IT! SOILED IT! SOILED IT!" and the list goes on and on. Really is a good attention to humor.

Visuals: 9/10: Plankton's model in this episode looks kind of off. I don't know why, sort of feels like the model from "Fear of a Krabby Patty". Other than that, the animation looks really good.

Episode score: 215 points.

Last edited:

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
10/10

What a start to this classic season! It's my third favorite of this season, and my fifth favorite of the entire show! The idea of a life-switcher works here, because it's got a reason for it. The plot feels fresh (spongebob-wise) and is VERY FUNNY. Overall, this is a pretty good episode.

The Algaes Always Greener: (10/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I like this episode the jokes were nice. This episode is a really worth being considered a classic!

Rating: Amazing Episode

Rankings:
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
This is not an episode I'd make a review on, so I guess I'll put my full thoughts on it here. I think it's a good episode, just a little, annoying at times. Like with Pearl, she was insufferable. But I think it's interesting to see the switched lives of Plankton and Krabs. Also, most of the jokes hit their mark, so nothing to complain about. 7/10 for me.
Woah, vintage Pugs post here! Let's revamp it, shall we? Yep, we're starting season 3 of Pugs' Spectacular SpongeBob Reviews (title is a work in progress, do not take this seriously at all lmao) with "The Algae's Always Greener". First off, I love the title of this episode lmao, I love how it's just a SpongeBob-ified version of a metaphor we already know (in English, at least, I guess the title doesn't work as well for other countries if it's translated 1:1 does it). It's weird to think that most of this episode takes place in an alternate universe.

I really like the plot of this episode, not to mention it showcases not only Plankton's brilliance in technology, but also his shortsightedness and fatal flaw (envy). Like, imagine if he just abandoned his quest to steal the formula and just sold his inventions or something, he'd be rich! But no, he's fixated on getting Mr. Krabs' success. Anyway, I like how this episode flips the script, and makes Plankton the protagonist for once. It makes me wonder if in the universe Plankton travels to, the roles of Mr. Krabs and Plankton are reversed as far back as the events depicted in "Friend or Foe". Who knows?

One thing that makes me crack up for no reason this entire episode is how Plankton is called "Mr. Plankton". I don't know why but it always makes me laugh whenever a character says that name, so that increases my enjoyment of this episode immensely.

Okay, time to actually review the episode properly lmao. So this episode begins a bit slow, and doesn't really get moving until Plankton uses his transmogrifier. The scene of him traveling to the alternate universe is hilarious, with some great voice acting from Mr. Lawrence and the great addition of that cut to drinking which really sells the scene. I like how uncanny the feel of the alternate universe is, because it just feels wrong, to both the audience and Plankton, and not in a bad way. Like maybe it's just me, but even the Krusty Krab itself just feels different this entire episode. Things slow a bit until SpongeBob thankfully shows up for a second time asking for weekly performance review. Then the jokes kick in to high gear, complete with some great visuals (such as SpongeBob's face of despair, or the victory screech, or even the great painting of Mr. Krabs). Squidward's disdain with SpongeBob is a constant in any universe, it seems.

Pearl's segment, to contrast my opinion of 5 years ago, is pretty funny and enjoyable, especially once Nat comes in with his patty that makes the Nasty Patty look appetizing. Especially now that "oh my goodness" has become a meme, it just makes that moment so much better for me. And then, of course, we get everyone's favorite bit, the reveal of Mr. Krabs taking the place of Plankton. I think it's hilarious that it's only a problem that Krabs is naked, and not Plankton, and that to fight him they use a clothes canon. SpongeBob is truly about that action in this episode, manning that Plankton with the quickness, and striking Krabs with the bra. And then once Krabs is defeated, we get that awesome victory screech. I think my absolute favorite part of this episode is Mr. Krabs' declaration that he may not have won today, but he'll try again, the next day, and the next day, and the next day, and—

Really goes to show what kind of crap Mr. Krabs has to put up with from Plankton on the regular, which Plankton realizes very quickly as he has a mental break. And then of course we get one of the standout lines of the episode: "Goodbye everyone, I'll remember you all in therapy" (this is in the running to be the line I put on my graduation cap, we'll see though). I like that this episode ends with Plankton actually learning something, and being more content with his life and his holographic meatloaf. It's a good bookend for this episode.

I have no problems with "The Algae's Always Greener" other than a couple of spots where it gets slow, but they're not too noticeable. They're not significant enough to remove this episode from my "Amazing" tier, let's put it that way.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10

Back