3DS & Wii U eShop Closing on March 27th 2023

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
The 3DS & Wii U eShop is closing sometime in late March 2023. An exact date hasn't been given yet. What do you think of this shutdown? I think it sucks, but they can't keep it up forever. Just a few years ago, the original Wii Shop shut down. I didn't expect the eShop to shutdown this soon though. I thought the online play would shut down first.

-As of May 23, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account on eShop on Wii U or 3DS.

-As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account on eShop on Wii U or 3DS.

-As of late March 2023, it will no longer be possible to make purchases in the eShop for the Wii U and 3DS.

-However, after March 2023 for the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to redownload games and DLC you already purchased, receive software updates and use online play.

Last edited:

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler
The 3DS & Wii U eShop is closing sometime in late March 2023. An exact date hasn't been given yet. What do you think of this shutdown? I think it sucks, but they can't keep it up forever. Just a few years ago, the original Wii Shop shut down. I didn't expect the eShop to shutdown this soon though. I thought the online play would shut down first.

-As of May 23, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account on eShop on Wii U or 3DS.

-As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account on eShop on Wii U or 3DS.

-As of late March 2023, it will no longer be possible to make purchases in the eShop for the Wii U and 3DS.

-However, after March 2023 for the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to redownload games and DLC you already purchased, receive software updates and use online play.

I knew they would do this

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
It's sad, but as time marches on, technology gets better, as the next generations of game consoles see marked improvements in graphics and power...we would have to expect stuff like this to happen as people start start abandoning old technology...it's obsolescence of old technology like this that makes some game preservationists cringe because of how quickly stuff like this happens...

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
It's a shame that Nintendo couldn't be convinced to keep the shop open. Sony was going to shut down the PS3 and Vita shops but people were able to convince them to keep them open. Sadly that did not happen here. It's a shame too, because it would honestly be better for Nintendo as well. They're still keeping the shop open for those who want to redownload stuff they already have (only the purchase functionalities are leaving), so they're just losing money on this.

They're also wiping out the game libraries for several different systems, since all the virtual console and DSi-Ware games were moved there after that shop closed as well... All sorts of games will be gone now, and sadly, unlike the DSi shop, they won't be ported over to another store this time. But at least they're leaving up the online services, which they confirmed on their website after this was announced.

Back