38a. Sailor Mouth

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
I think this episode's plot may be one of the most childish and uninteresting up until that point, and that's really a shame for me. I think the whole thing of swearing, while still funny can get worn down a bit, especially at the whole "eels and escalators" thing, I thought it was pretty obvious what the outcome was going to be.

I often found myself losing interest, because this plot is so bare-bones that I don't really care at all for it. I will say one thing, this episode is really funny, all the different swearing gags, dumpster gags, and just all of them showing up at Mrs. Krabs' house is so funny.

Overall this episodes plot isn't my favorite, but it has enough good and redeeming gags that I would call it Good. Solid 7.5/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
This is one of my favorite SpongeBob episodes. The episode already starts strong with that amazing title card. I think that the plot of the episode fits perfectly with SpongeBob, since SpongeBob and Patrick are essentially man children. There's also plenty of gags in this episode, filling it to the brink. I especially like the end gag.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
This is my favorite season 2 episode, I also love Graveyard Shift but the satire and plotting here is brilliant.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Yes, it does make sense for SpongeBob and Patrick to act like this, my only gripe is just that there's no real direction to the plot. This is basically Hooky with swearing instead of hooks, and that's fine, I liked how that episode kind of got built up, this one really just didn't keep me interested. it kind of felt all over the place with what they did after Krabs told them not to swear, there's just nothing here, and towards the end they lost me with the whole "tell on you" gimmick, it works, but no for the "story".

Overall, this episode's story is maybe one of the worst, but that doesn't make an episode Bad or even Mediocre as long as it has good gags, and this one defiantly delivers. It is a really funny episode, but I expect at least a little bit out of a story. Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost, had a dumb plot, but it was so funny I gave it a Good as well. That's all it needs, but you still a need a solid story for it be really amazing in my opinion.

nobody

Imitation Krab
To me, this was a pretty bad episode that I used to really like but now dislike it. This was rather an unfunny episode in my opinion due to the omnipresence of dolphin noises and other random sound mixing. Most of the jokes are just censorship (which annoys the heck out of me as the episode progresses), although I did like a few at the beginning such as SpongeBob thinking that Mr. Krabs was referring to Squidward as the pile of trash. Also, the episode became predictable with so many moments being obvious in my perspective (including the multiple censorship jokes, pretty much everyone in the Krusty Krab being surprised by SpongeBob and Patrick's swearing, Mr. Krabs crying the "13 bad words" while making SpongeBob and Patrick paint, etc.). However, I did like how this episode tried to be relatable and tell a message against swearing that didn't make the episode THAT bad. But for me, it was plain unfunny and repetitive.

2.5/10

I adore this episode. SpongeBob and Patrick using bad words is such a brilliant concept. And I love what they did with it. It's hilarious and has some great tension. Not to mention the fact that this is one of the most relatable episodes ever.

Ranking so far:
1. Sailor Mouth (A+)
2. Graveyard Shift (A+)
3. Patty Hype (A+)
4. Band Geeks (A+)
5. Survival of the Idiots (A+)
6. Pressure (A+)
7. Big Pink Loser (A+)
8. Shanghaied (A)
9. Life of Crime (A)
10. Dying For Pie (A)
11. Christmas Who? (A)
12. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III (A)
13. Squidville (A)
14. Gary Takes a Bath (A)
15. Squid's Day Off (A)
16. Welcome to the Chum Bucket (B)
17. Imitation Krabs (B)
18. Krusty Love (B)
19. Frankendoodle (B)
20. No Free Rides (B)
21. Squirrel Jokes (B)
22. Procrastination (B)
23. Your Shoe's Untied (B)
24. I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (B)
25. Prehibernation Week (B)
26. Something Smells (B)
27. Wormy (C)
28. The Smoking Peanut (C)
29. Bossy Boots (C)
30. The Secret Box (C)
31. Bubble Buddy (C)
32. I'm With Stupid (D)
33. Dumped (E)
34. Grandma's Kisses (F)

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
I will never understand the love for it, them cursing is cool, but it doesn't really make for a complete 11 minute episode, I just don't really see it as amazing.

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
VERY OVERRATED. I used to call this amazing, then bad, but now I just call it decent. While I do find the swearing gags funny, they aren't that funny and they aren't super clever or anything. And this is one of those season 2 episodes where they just repeat the same joke over and over for pretty much the entire episode. I guess it's a good thing I liked the joke, because this would've been much worse if I didn't. There are a few other jokes, though they aren't too common in this episode. My favorite moment was Mr. Krabs saying all the swear words & my least favorite moment was eels and escalators.

Good Episode (7/10)

TommyTonka OFFICIAL

I like underrated kids shows, don't judge me
One if my favorite episodes of my six favorite episodes. The dolpin noises sells the episode. And I think the episode has a important message going on

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I like this one. It's relatable, and has a good message. It's also pretty funny, but relying on the dolphin noises as it's main sense of humor does get a little old after a while. I wasn't a big fan of the Eels and Escalators section either. That said, it still has a good plot, and I really dolphin chirp liked Mr. Krabs' bits in this episode.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Graveyard Shift (10)
2. Procrastination (10)
3. Band Geeks (10)
4. Shanghaied (9)
5. Dying For Pie (9)
6. Something Smells (9)
7. Patty Hype (9)
8. Squidville (9)
9. Welcome to the Chum Bucket (9)
10. Survival of the Idiots (9)
11. Christmas Who? (9)
12. Big Pink Loser (9)
13. Frankendoodle (8)
14. Squid's Day Off (8)
15. Wormy (8)
16. Sailor Mouth (8)
17. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy III (8)
18. The Secret Box (8)
19. Imitation Krabs (8)
20. Life of Crime (8)
21. Krusty Love (7)
22. Prehibernation Week (7)
23. Pressure (7)
24. Gary Takes A Bath (7)
25. No Free Rides (7)
26. I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (7)
27. The Smoking Peanut (7)
28. Your Shoe's Untied (6)
29. Bossy Boots (6)
30. Dumped (6)
31. I'm With Stupid (6)
32. Bubble Buddy (5)
33. Squirrel Jokes (5)
34. Grandma's Kisses (5)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
9.5/10

This has some relatable-ness to it. Like, remember that time where somebody said a swear word in Elementary school, and you decided to tell on them for it? That's this episode, and it's kind of funny because of that.

Big Pink Loser: (10/10)
Something Smells: (10/10)
Squidville: (10/10)
Imitation Krabs: (10/10)
Patty Hype: (10/10)
Sailor Mouth: (9.5/10)
Christmas Who?: (9.5/10)
Procrastination: (9.5/10)
FrankenDoodle: (9.5/10)
Shanghaied: (9.5/10)
Squids Day Off: (9.5/10)
Dying for Pie: (9/10)
Graveyard Shift: (9/10)
Welcome to the Chum Bucket: (9/10)
Band Geeks: (9/10)
MM&BB III: (9/10)
No Free Rides: (9/10)
Wormy: (9/10)
Your Shoes Untied: (9/10)
Survival of the Idiots: (8.5/10)
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic: (8.5/10)
Bossy Boots: (8.5/10)
The Smoking Peanut: (8/10)
The Secret Box: (8/10)
Pre-Hibernation Week: (6.5/10)
Grandma's Kisses: (6.5/10)
Life of Crime: (5.5/10)
Gary Takes A Bath: (5/10)
Krusty Love: (4.5/10)
Bubble Buddy: (4/10)
Squirrel Jokes: (3.5/10)
Dumped: (1.5/10)
I'm With Stupid: (1.5/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one was funny idk why but that Eels and Escalators scene was very funny

Rating: Awesome Episode

Rankings:
Graveyard Shift (Golden)
Dying For Pie (Golden)
Band Geeks (Golden)
Survival of the Idiots (Golden)
Krusty Love (Perfect)
Frankendoodle (Perfect)
Shanghaied (Perfect)
Pressure (Perfect)
Big Pink Loser (Perfect)
No Free Rides (Amazing!)
MMABBIII (Delightful)
Christmas Who? (Sublime)
Imitation Krabs (Superb)
Sailor Mouth (Awesome)
The Smoking Peanut (Awesome)
Squidville (Tolerant)
Squid's Day Off (Tolerant)
I'm With Stupid (Great)
The Secret Box (Great)
Life of Crime (Great)
Dumped (Great)
Procrastination (Polite)
Something Smells (Polite)
Bubble Buddy (Polite)
Bossy Boots (Polite)
Gary Takes a Bath (Okay)
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)
PreHibernation Week (Bad)
Welcome to the Chum Bucket (Bad)
Patty Hype (Sucky)
Wormy (Pathetic)
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (Stupid)
Grandma's Kisses (Garbage)
Squirrel Jokes (Trash)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Fresh off the worst episode of this season, we have one of the better episodes of this season, "Sailor Mouth"!

"Cursing" episodes of children's TV shows can either be very good or very bad, I've noticed, and it all depends on how it is done. And I think this episode does it very well. First off, I like that they use dolphin sounds to censor the bad words in this episode (and later crashes and horns), which is much better than a simple beep or an annoying car horn or something. Perfect for the environment. I also like that how SpongeBob discovered the bad word is on the side of a dumpster, because honestly yeah, I can easily see that being where the little yellow sponge first discovers cursing. I also really like the visuals in this scene. They reused the beautiful "Pizza Delivery" background which I love, and the outside at night looks good as always. Seriously, the background art in this show is some of the best I've seen, and they always do a great job with characters' color palettes as well.

I like Patrick in this episode (a huge improvement from the previous episode, that's for sure. gives me whiplash), and his misunderstanding of curse words as sentence enhancers is so funny considering how true it is. Cursing doesn't make you fancy, but it certainly enhances those sentences! Cut to the next scene, where SpongeBob and Patrick are just loudly cursing everywhere, and I think everyone's reactions are pretty funny, and provide some great visuals. I like how Squidward has to pat down his comically large ear too, just a great touch. Mr. Krabs' panicked run out of the bathroom is great as well. Mr. Krabs is really at top form this episode as a father figure to SpongeBob and to a lesser extent Patrick. The lecture he gives them is great, and I love that his friendship with Squidward is shown as he jokes with the squid about the 13 bad words.

Next we cut to SpongeBob and Patrick playing Eels & Escalators, which is probably the weakest part of the episode. I start to feel as frustrated as SpongeBob when he loses every roll, but at least Patrick isn't fanning the flames of that annoyance, so it keeps the scene enjoyable. It just isn't a super funny scene, so that makes the episode lose a couple points with me. I like how SpongeBob has already caught on to using curse words in frustration, such a masterful swearer if I do say so myself. Patrick's reaction is hilarious, and I love the ensuing race the two get into to try and tell Mr. Krabs. The ice cream truck part is too funny. I also love how the two's tattling to Mr. Krabs gets turned into babbling.

Quickly talking about the rest of the episode, I love that Mr. Krabs ends up cursing with all the curse words (complete with a great painting of SpongeBob), and so SpongeBob and Patrick turn their tattling towards him. I also love that we end up getting a fake-out curse from Mrs. Krabs, using the same logic we've been hearing all episode about the curse words being covered up with some loud sound. It makes me think that maybe the dolphin sound (and the crashing and horn sounds) are the curse words itself. I mean, people say "barnacles" and "tartar sauce" all the time in this show, and they aren't treated as curse words...

"Sailor Mouth" is a really good episode that only has one dull moment. The beginning of the episode is an excellent set up to the hilarity we'll be seeing for the rest of the runtime. All of this together means that this episode is in my "Amazing" tier, but perhaps not scored as high as some either season 2 episodes.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
Spongebob once said "AH! B##W ME!" Love this episode its super funny and the leaks make this 100x better

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
The uncensored clip made this even better for me.

I love it. One of my favorites

10/10 episode!!

Back