37b. I'm with Stupid

DigDugtrio

Floating Shopping List
I am 98.9% sure Mr. Enter and his bandwagoning fanbase are the only reason this episode has a 6.5. I know for a fact before he made that awful review that this episode was still loved and regarded as a funny episode... It makes me sick that people can't form their own opinions....

Ice Dripping

Part Computer or Something
I've never liked this episode that much. It's my least favorite of season 2 along with Dumped. The first half is good but then Patrick is a jerk. There are still some funny jokes but I mostly just felt bad for Spongebob. 6/10

Hear me out OK, I don't think this episode is THAT bad. I mean yes, it's bad, but there are worse episodes this season. At least the beginning was good and SpongeBob was TRYING to help.

Ranking so far:
1. Graveyard Shift (A+)
2. Patty Hype (A+)
3. Band Geeks (A+)
4. Survival of the Idiots (A+)
5. Pressure (A+)
6. Big Pink Loser (A+)
7. Shanghaied (A)
8. Life of Crime (A)
9. Dying For Pie (A)
10. Christmas Who? (A)
11. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III (A)
12. Squidville (A)
13. Gary Takes a Bath (A)
14. Squid's Day Off (A)
15. Welcome to the Chum Bucket (B)
16. Imitation Krabs (B)
17. Krusty Love (B)
18. Frankendoodle (B)
19. No Free Rides (B)
20. Squirrel Jokes (B)
21. Procrastination (B)
22. Your Shoe's Untied (B)
23. I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (B)
24. Prehibernation Week (B)
25. Something Smells (B)
26. Wormy (C)
27. The Smoking Peanut (C)
28. Bossy Boots (C)
29. The Secret Box (C)
30. Bubble Buddy (C)
31. I'm With Stupid (D)
32. Dumped (E)
33. Grandma's Kisses (F)

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
Combusto82 said:
hilarious 8/10
I agree to an extent. The gags with spongebob being stupid and flying all over the place were funny. Also, the plot is actually pretty good! But, the excecution is horrible. The way that patrick calls out spongebob is very uncalled for, and comes off extremly mean, and frusturating. It definently takes what a good concept this episode could've been. But the bit at the end where patricks real parents come gets me everytime :rofl:

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Just like many "Bad" pre-movie episodes this episode wins me over by the sharp humor. Yeah it was mean spirited, but the humor cancels it out. 8/10

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I'm not a big fan of this one. I don't dislike it as much as others may do, but something definitely feels off about this episode. Patrick suddenly starting to insult Spongebob was totally uncalled for, and it was handled in a pretty poor way. Patrick's smug attitude is just very unpleasant. I wasn't too big on Patrick's "parents" either; I feel like if they were more unknowing and lighthearted it would've worked alot better. What saves this episode is some of the comedy. It's a pretty funny episode, especially in the first half.

Average episode (6/10)

1. Graveyard Shift (10)
2. Procrastination (10)
3. Band Geeks (10)
4. Shanghaied (9)
5. Dying For Pie (9)
6. Something Smells (9)
7. Patty Hype (9)
8. Squidville (9)
9. Welcome to the Chum Bucket (9)
10. Survival of the Idiots (9)
11. Big Pink Loser (9)
12. Christmas Who? (8)
13. Frankendoodle (8)
14. Squid's Day Off (8)
15. Wormy (8)
16. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy III (8)
17. The Secret Box (8)
18. Imitation Krabs (8)
19. Life of Crime (8)
20. Krusty Love (7)
21. Prehibernation Week (7)
22. Pressure (7)
23. Gary Takes A Bath (7)
24. No Free Rides (7)
25. I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (7)
26. The Smoking Peanut (7)
27. Your Shoe's Untied (6)
28. Bossy Boots (6)
29. Dumped (6)
30. I'm With Stupid (6)
31. Bubble Buddy (5)
32. Squirrel Jokes (5)
33. Grandma's Kisses (5)

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I didn't like how Patrick and his "parents" were mocking SpongeBob for his "stupidity"

But it was cute seeing SpongeBob SquarePants pretend to act stupid because he was just trying to help his friend

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
1.5/10

This is my second least favorite Pre-Movie episode, behind Jellyfishing. This is a mean-spirited, almost unfunny piece of garbage. Patrick was the worst, and the only character I liked was SpongeBob. [dolphin-noise] this episode. (Before you accuse me of jumping on the Mr. Enter bandwagon, I've hated this episode ever since I first watched it, and I don't even like Mr. Enter. Old Mr. Enter anyways)

Big Pink Loser: (10/10)
Something Smells: (10/10)
Squidville: (10/10)
Imitation Krabs: (10/10)
Patty Hype: (10/10)
Christmas Who?: (9.5/10)
Procrastination: (9.5/10)
FrankenDoodle: (9.5/10)
Shanghaied: (9.5/10)
Squids Day Off: (9.5/10)
Dying for Pie: (9/10)
Graveyard Shift: (9/10)
Welcome to the Chum Bucket: (9/10)
Band Geeks: (9/10)
MM&BB III: (9/10)
No Free Rides: (9/10)
Wormy: (9/10)
Your Shoes Untied: (9/10)
Survival of the Idiots: (8.5/10)
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic: (8.5/10)
Bossy Boots: (8.5/10)
The Smoking Peanut: (8/10)
The Secret Box: (8/10)
Pre-Hibernation Week: (6.5/10)
Grandma's Kisses: (6.5/10)
Life of Crime: (5.5/10)
Gary Takes A Bath: (5/10)
Krusty Love: (4.5/10)
Bubble Buddy: (4/10)
Squirrel Jokes: (3.5/10)
Dumped: (1.5/10)
I'm With Stupid: (1.5/10)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
You know, to be completely honest, I like this episode. I think the first 2/3 of it was actually really funny and it, once again, showcased how caring Spongebob can be at helping his friend. It's around the 8-minute mark where things go downhill, because the story and the humor gets dumbed down, and it all leads up to a stupid ending that basically makes all the prior events feel a little on the pointless side. That on its own would make me feel a little too negative on this one, but to be honest, the rest of it is so funny and so good that.. i can forgive it.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I personally prefer this episode over its sister i made a thread on why thats the case https://www.sbmania.net/forums/threads/why-i-prefer-im-with-stupid-over-procrastination.64842/

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Graveyard Shift (Golden)
Dying For Pie (Golden)
Band Geeks (Golden)
Survival of the Idiots (Golden)
Krusty Love (Perfect)
Frankendoodle (Perfect)
Shanghaied (Perfect)
Pressure (Perfect)
Big Pink Loser (Perfect)
No Free Rides (Amazing!)
MMABBIII (Delightful)
Christmas Who? (Sublime)
Imitation Krabs (Superb)
The Smoking Peanut (Awesome)
Squidville (Tolerant)
Squid's Day Off (Tolerant)
I'm With Stupid (Great)
The Secret Box (Great)
Life of Crime (Great)
Dumped (Great)
Procrastination (Polite)
Something Smells (Polite)
Bubble Buddy (Polite)
Bossy Boots (Polite)
Gary Takes a Bath (Okay)
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)
PreHibernation Week (Bad)
Welcome to the Chum Bucket (Bad)
Patty Hype (Sucky)
Wormy (Pathetic)
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (Stupid)
Grandma's Kisses (Garbage)
Squirrel Jokes (Trash)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we have...sigh..."I'm With Stupid". I've definitely said this before but I am not a big fan of this episode. At all. Like...we're down in "Dumped" territory, or really below that. So let's talk about it.

One thing that helps this episode immensely is that it actually starts off pretty well. The scene where Patrick is frantically cleaning everything in preparation for his parents arriving is great, and has some pretty good jokes in there, like the note. And it also sets up a good conflict for this episode, as well as new insight into Patrick's character: he can handle being dumb, but he doesn't like being made to feel dumb or being condescended to. And I think that fits with everything we've learned of Patrick so far. His best friend is SpongeBob, who we already know doesn't condescend to anybody. SpongeBob shows how good he is as a friend this episode as well, by volunteering to play the idiot so Patrick looks smarter by comparison.

Of course, it's predictable where this plot will go, but that does not make what ensues enjoyable at all. So let's just get into it and get this over with. We get the most tired trope of "what could go wrong" before everything does, in fact, go wrong, which only serves to increase my annoyance. Patrick's parents already come off as extremely annoying in their first scene with Patrick, and so far I haven't laughed once between the end of the first scene and the end of the second.

And then this is where "I'm With Stupid" really falls apart. It's nice (somewhat) to see Patrick start to get some credit from his parents, but all of that niceness goes away once he starts legitimately insulting SpongeBob. I just question what the purpose is here because it's not funny, and once again it's very annoying. At least it's not boring, which is the worst crime a SpongeBob SquarePants episode can have sometimes.

I do like that SpongeBob stands up for himself here, and doesn't let himself be walked over for being a good friend. A lesser show might've skipped the talk scene SpongeBob has with Patrick in the kitchen and gone straight to the later meltdown. This scene, however, is nearly ruined by Patrick being a jerkwad, much like that one scene in "Dumped" I came very close to liking. See how all the episodes I dislike have something in common? Just thought I'd point that out, because from there you might be able to guess my least favorite episodes in the entire show.

Going back to the episode, Patrick is just extremely oblivious and obtuse for the rest of the episode, though I will admit the "dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are" line got a chuckle out of me. I just wish they did more with that, such as the parents finding out that SpongeBob isn't actually an idiot. Would've made things a lot more satisfying. And I think that's this episode's major issue, that there's no satisfaction whatsoever. And I think that's what bumps it below "Dumped" in my personal ranking, because at least that episode has a satisfying and humorous ending. The ending of this episode is funny, but it doesn't resolve the issue with SpongeBob at all, which leaves me frustrated. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself, let me finish going through the episode first.

There isn't that much to say about the remainder of the episode that I haven't already said. It's insulting and unpleasant. The secondhand embarrassment is off the charts and SpongeBob doesn't even bring it on himself. In fact, SpongeBob has done absolutely nothing to deserve what he gets in this episode, given he was just trying to help his best friend out. Not that Patrick exactly deserves such a title in this episode. I really don't understand what writers' fascination with making Patrick a horrible friend, this has been a problem in nearly every season of the show, and I don't know why because it almost never works. Just leave it in the past already.

"I'm With Stupid" fits right in with my "Barely Tolerable" tier (shortened to "Tolerable" just to keep my single-word tiers, but that's the actual meaning). It's the first of its kind in SpongeBob SquarePants, so congratulations? Historically I've put this episode in my "Mediocre" or even "Okay" tier, but looking at it now it's just not very good, and like I said earlier there's absolutely no satisfaction to be had here, other than finding out the "parents" are idiots too. I want to see apologies or something, like SpongeBob running out in frustration does nothing for me if there's no resolution. And the insult to SpongeBob and Patrick's friendship this episode provides is not appealing whatsoever. So yeah, this episode is barely tolerable. I always considered "Dumped" to be the worst of season 2, but nah, that dishonor goes to "I'm With Stupid" now that I've sat down and reviewed it. There are good elements here, but the whole product is not that great at all.

Episode Tier: Tolerable
Episode Score: 4.8/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up, we have...sigh..."I'm With Stupid". I've definitely said this before but I am not a big fan of this episode. At all. Like...we're down in "Dumped" territory, or really below that. So let's talk about it.

One thing that helps this episode immensely is that it actually starts off pretty well. The scene where Patrick is frantically cleaning everything in preparation for his parents arriving is great, and has some pretty good jokes in there, like the note. And it also sets up a good conflict for this episode, as well as new insight into Patrick's character: he can handle being dumb, but he doesn't like being made to feel dumb or being condescended to. And I think that fits with everything we've learned of Patrick so far. His best friend is SpongeBob, who we already know doesn't condescend to anybody. SpongeBob shows how good he is as a friend this episode as well, by volunteering to play the idiot so Patrick looks smarter by comparison.

Of course, it's predictable where this plot will go, but that does not make what ensues enjoyable at all. So let's just get into it and get this over with. We get the most tired trope of "what could go wrong" before everything does, in fact, go wrong, which only serves to increase my annoyance. Patrick's parents already come off as extremely annoying in their first scene with Patrick, and so far I haven't laughed once between the end of the first scene and the end of the second.

And then this is where "I'm With Stupid" really falls apart. It's nice (somewhat) to see Patrick start to get some credit from his parents, but all of that niceness goes away once he starts legitimately insulting SpongeBob. I just question what the purpose is here because it's not funny, and once again it's very annoying. At least it's not boring, which is the worst crime a SpongeBob SquarePants episode can have sometimes.

I do like that SpongeBob stands up for himself here, and doesn't let himself be walked over for being a good friend. A lesser show might've skipped the talk scene SpongeBob has with Patrick in the kitchen and gone straight to the later meltdown. This scene, however, is nearly ruined by Patrick being a jerkwad, much like that one scene in "Dumped" I came very close to liking. See how all the episodes I dislike have something in common? Just thought I'd point that out, because from there you might be able to guess my least favorite episodes in the entire show.

Going back to the episode, Patrick is just extremely oblivious and obtuse for the rest of the episode, though I will admit the "dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are" line got a chuckle out of me. I just wish they did more with that, such as the parents finding out that SpongeBob isn't actually an idiot. Would've made things a lot more satisfying. And I think that's this episode's major issue, that there's no satisfaction whatsoever. And I think that's what bumps it below "Dumped" in my personal ranking, because at least that episode has a satisfying and humorous ending. The ending of this episode is funny, but it doesn't resolve the issue with SpongeBob at all, which leaves me frustrated. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself, let me finish going through the episode first.

There isn't that much to say about the remainder of the episode that I haven't already said. It's insulting and unpleasant. The secondhand embarrassment is off the charts and SpongeBob doesn't even bring it on himself. In fact, SpongeBob has done absolutely nothing to deserve what he gets in this episode, given he was just trying to help his best friend out. Not that Patrick exactly deserves such a title in this episode. I really don't understand what writers' fascination with making Patrick a horrible friend, this has been a problem in nearly every season of the show, and I don't know why because it almost never works. Just leave it in the past already.

"I'm With Stupid" fits right in with my "Barely Tolerable" tier (shortened to "Tolerable" just to keep my single-word tiers, but that's the actual meaning). It's the first of its kind in SpongeBob SquarePants, so congratulations? Historically I've put this episode in my "Mediocre" or even "Okay" tier, but looking at it now it's just not very good, and like I said earlier there's absolutely no satisfaction to be had here, other than finding out the "parents" are idiots too. I want to see apologies or something, like SpongeBob running out in frustration does nothing for me if there's no resolution. And the insult to SpongeBob and Patrick's friendship this episode provides is not appealing whatsoever. So yeah, this episode is barely tolerable. I always considered "Dumped" to be the worst of season 2, but nah, that dishonor goes to "I'm With Stupid" now that I've sat down and reviewed it. There are good elements here, but the whole product is not that great at all.

Episode Tier: Tolerable
Episode Score: 4.8/10
something i do like about this episode, is that it shows that sb wasnt dumb in seasons 1-5 and some early season 6 episodes

''I have a confession to make. I lied about being stupid. I just acted like a fool so you would appreciate Patrick a little bit more. I know how to talk, and eat, and do laundry. I even separate the darks from the lights. So whadya say we start over and try again?''

post sequel SpongeBob wouldn't say something like that

GetWelded

Welcome to the Chum Bucket #1 fan
HOLY HELL COULD I HAVE A FIELD DAY WITH THIS EPISODE

Bad Qualities
- Patrick and his parents TORMENTING SpongeBob
- The laughing is absolutely nauseating
- If i had a nickel for a season 2 episode with a jerky Patrick, I would have 2 nickels
- The fact that Patrick's "parents" that were bullying SpongeBob WEREN'T HIS REAL PARENTS

Good Qualities
- At least SpongeBob is TRYING to help him
- The ending is KINDA heartwarming with Patrick seeing his REAL parents.

1 / 10 First Scumbob of the show

Back